-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Since there are at least five of us that have one, by my count, I figure that's enough for its own topic.

Some more thoughts after playing with mine yesterday:

1. I think overall it's slightly more comfortable to hold than the Nintendo Switch was, but it's still kind of awkward with how long it is. Yeah, that's what she said. Any game requiring precise input is going to be more difficult for me.

2. The screen is pretty nice. I'd rank them as Switch OLED > Deck > Switch > Switch Lite.

3. Do any of you plan to buy a skin or case to protect the unit? I've seen various ones on Amazon. This guy on YouTube put a leather case on his, which seems like it'd be weird, but he liked it.

4. I decked out my profile with all Steam Deck stuff. Look how ridiculous it is:

deck.jpg

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I keep accidentally hitting the back triggers. I gotta see if there's a way to disable them.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
For so many on our board to have it, anecdotal though it may be, I think that’s indicative of a very successful device. It’s affordable PC gaming.

I will probably just get a follow up to the Switch, but in 4 years when I buy, a powerful, streamlined steam deck could be the way to go.

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I am ready for the arrival of my Deck tomorrow.

When my Deck arrives, I can take off the back, slide in the SSD, and load a new factory install of the OS with a flash drive. I have my new small-form factor 512 GB SSD here and ready, as well as a USB-C flash drive loaded with the SteamOS, a 2.5 GB image.

I think the first games I will likely load up are Steam titles I already own, probably Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Pathfinder: WOTR.

But I know I won't be able to resist Elden Ring. I am going to try and wait for a sale because it is still rather expensive on Steam.

HotDoommaN

No Longer a Noob
Sep 14, 2004
Canada
Since there are at least five of us that have one, by my count, I figure that's enough for its own topic.

Some more thoughts after playing with mine yesterday:

1. I think overall it's slightly more comfortable to hold than the Nintendo Switch was, but it's still kind of awkward with how long it is. Yeah, that's what she said. Any game requiring precise input is going to be more difficult for me.

2. The screen is pretty nice. I'd rank them as Switch OLED > Deck > Switch > Switch Lite.

3. Do any of you plan to buy a skin or case to protect the unit? I've seen various ones on Amazon. This guy on YouTube put a leather case on his, which seems like it'd be weird, but he liked it.

4. I decked out my profile with all Steam Deck stuff. Look how ridiculous it is:

View attachment 897155

Funny enough when I got the steam deck and I was awarded the steam deck profile I did the same as you xD
We almost have identical profiles.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 210503.jpg

I mentioned this before but I do prefer Steam Deck over Switch for most of my gaming....but Switch feels more well-made than the Deck in my opinion. Deck's screen, although bright and colorful, the back light bleed is fairly noticeable. The switch has 0 back light bleeding (obviously I'm not talking about the OLED version).

I'm also staying clear from skins and protectors. I've seen skins sticking to the deck when trying to peel em off and as for protective cases, Deck is bulky as it is, anything more and its a mortar.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
If we're talking Deck v. Switch hardware, it's not close for me. Other than size, the Switch had no advantages.

Deck has much better sticks, buttons and +.

The Deck screen is a bit better than the base Switch, but I haven't tried the OLED version.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I think the switch lite is very good from a form factor perspective once you get used to it. I am prepared to be shocked by the size of the deck by comparison. But I am still envisioning the deck as a bedroom device, not really a travel device.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I’ve heard the Switch Lite is pretty comfortable from others too. I’ve looked at a demo unit in a store but haven’t actually held one.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Good to hear about the Lite - I've never held one.

The base Switch is not comfortable for me. I think playing Celeste on there may have done permanent damage to my hands.

D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
I haven’t played switch handheld for any length of time since like 2017? It’s always docked with a pro controller for me

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
My Deck just arrived via mail. It's quite long compared with a Switch Lite and huge overall as expected. But not as heavy feeling as I expected.

6307CABB-B031-4809-9F11-C74BCA902306.jpeg

The base model comes with a pretty bare bones kit, just the device and the charger basically, but it does include a pretty nice case that looks perfect for traveling.

I have to do some work but will certainly be setting this puppy up later on today and tonight!

Last edited:

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I want to research this but maybe one of you already have. If I install Windows and play games through that, do they perform worse than playing the 'native' Steam Deck version?

Such as, will Witcher 3 run better through Steam OS than it would through Windows OS? Or roughly the same?

D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
The d pad and buttons look too close to the sides and top corner for such a big device, it looks like it’d be so easy to drop while holding it by those

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I want to research this but maybe one of you already have. If I install Windows and play games through that, do they perform worse than playing the 'native' Steam Deck version?

Such as, will Witcher 3 run better through Steam OS than it would through Windows OS? Or roughly the same?
In theory it should work the same, since the deck is just a PC, right?

Infinite didn't run well on Windows for me, but that's probably a pretty demanding game, and I didn't play with settings at all.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I could not resist and decided to install the SSD on my lunch break.

The process overall is very simple and just like the YouTube videos show--you remove 8 screws, pop the back off, remove a small metal tray to access the SSD slot, and plop it in.

But it is delicate at several points, and it is necessary to have a very small phillips head screwdriver. Think of the kind you might use to tighten a pair of eyeglasses. I remembered I had a good one of these with a magnetic tip for picking up the tiny screws, and it was very helpful.

Prying off the back is also delicate even after the screws are off because there are a bunch of plastic clips holding the back into place, and you don't want to break them. I gently pulled it apart but I took my time, using a credit card to slowly pry it open after loosening it around the shoulder buttons, and it worked fine in the end.

Once inside, it's pretty easy. But people recommend unplugging the battery before replacing the ssd just in case, and I did that. Then I just screwed it back together, making sure to use the right screws in the right places since some are different lengths. I also made sure not to over tighten after reading reports that some stripped their screws doing this.

All in all, it took less than 30 minutes, including reinstalling the OS. That is easy if you put it on a thumb drive like I did, but I initially freaked out because only the touch pad was working. Then I read that was normal and it would all work after an update, which it did.

I am going to install some titles now. But so far, mission accomplished and I have a 512 GB SSD Steam Deck for about $500!

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
In terms of games the Steam OS shows you which games in your library run perfectly on Steam Deck. For my library this was a total of 38 titles including Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3 and some others I wanted to load like Into the Breach, but not a few others like Fallout 4 and Pathfinder: WOTR. When you go to install those it shows you they are compatible but might have issues like small text you have to deal with. I clicked to install a few of those including Fallout 4 and GTA V too, so we shall see how it all works later.

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013

I have been wondering the same thing and am not sure. I know a lot of effort by developers of games and Valve is going into optimizing the games though. I had read that windows drivers were an issue until recently with some windows titles.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
OK, so I fired up Dark Souls III and it works perfectly out of the box. It is running at 1200 x 800 resolution with high settings. It doesn't look as good as it does in 4k ultra, obviously, and the framerate isn't perfect. But it is pretty darn impressive overall that it can run this pretty smoothly without any tinkering or modification whatsoever.

I am going to have to figure out how to transfer some saves because for example in Witcher III I am pretty deep into a campaign and don't want to start over, I want to try using the Deck to sample the game's DLC, which I own after buying the ultimate edition on Steam years ago, but have never played.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Yeah, playing the Deck makes me think that Steam could also come out with a pretty powerful "console" at this point for less than the PS5 and XSX, using one of these newer dual AMD chips.

I also think we will see companies make more powerful handhelds. Ayaneo already is, and surely some others will follow.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
By the way I have not gotten used to them but the back flippers actually work well in Dark Souls III to roll and chug potions. The controls are actually amazing overall IMO but a little different.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Some people have said they notice some input lag when using the Deck to do remote play with their PS5, but that these settings fixed it up for them:
Here's an image in case that post ever gets deleted:
1675442157999.png

This seems to be using something called Chiaki. Not sure if there are other methods available.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I brought my Steam Deck into my home gym with me last night. I'd do a set of weights, then during my 2 minutes of rest period I'd quickly play FF IV. And repeat for the whole workout. Kind of amusing, but it worked.

If a random encounter started when my 2m timer went off, I just put it on auto-battle and let it play out itself while I was lifting.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I have not tried getting Epic and other services like GP running on it yet. Just playing some of the games I have on Steam for now.

But my Google chrome is still acting strangely. I think I have determined that it is launching, but behind the steam deck os windows, because when I close a game suddenly I see the Google Chrome page.

This machine is definitely a PC gamer's dream idea for a handheld console. It's endlessly customizable and mod-friendly. You can tweak a zillion settings just like a regular gaming PC.

Battery life is clearly an issue, so I am beginning to understand some of the posts I read from Deck owners about finding a balance between decent performance and battery life on some titles. It seemed to be really bad on Fallout 4. On Dark Souls III though I am getting like 2 hours total life playing the game on high settings. That's enough for me, even during bigger gaming sessions, since I usually take a break after an hour anyway to get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Dark Souls III on Deck is tempting.

I slogged through DS III on PS4 six years ago with a build that, in hindsight, was totally wrong for me. But it was my first Souls game so I didn't know any better.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
It's very good on the Deck from what I can see so far. I have over 300 hours in the game on Steam, and have played through the entire game and DLC and beaten every boss multiple times. But I never fully beat it with a mage build. I tend to start with mages and end up with melee. So I might try a true mage build this time to see how I feel.

Gabe knows what he's doing with the Deck. I am already looking at Steam deals, something I have not done in over a year. The Deck is probably a loss leader, but a very smart loss leader.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I am already looking at Steam deals, something I have not done in over a year.
Same. There are ways to get games loading from other platforms, like GOG or Epic, but it seems like such a hassle (and potential performance hits) that I'd rather just buy the couple of games again on Steam.

HotDoommaN

No Longer a Noob
Sep 14, 2004
Canada
It's very good on the Deck from what I can see so far. I have over 300 hours in the game on Steam, and have played through the entire game and DLC and beaten every boss multiple times. But I never fully beat it with a mage build. I tend to start with mages and end up with melee. So I might try a true mage build this time to see how I feel.

Gabe knows what he's doing with the Deck. I am already looking at Steam deals, something I have not done in over a year. The Deck is probably a loss leader, but a very smart loss leader.

Exactly, it's been a few years since I really taken a good look at steam sales but when I got the deck, my wallet said "Ahhh hello steam, my old friend"

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Same. There are ways to get games loading from other platforms, like GOG or Epic, but it seems like such a hassle (and potential performance hits) that I'd rather just buy the couple of games again on Steam.

I definitely want to try running Epic and Game Pass titles eventually.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Yeah, it's probably not that big of a hassle, according to YouTube videos I've seen. But having everything available through Steam is easy mode.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I wonder what the next Switch will do. Steam Deck has to have been noticed. It’ll be competitive hardware. Nintendo needs to take the stick out of its with sales and legacy support if it wants to compete I think.

Even I would take a steak deck in two years if Nintendo doesn’t answer.

D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
people complain about switch sales but a lot of times games are the same price as on steam or cheaper on switch these days. Chained echoes was on sale on switch when it was full price on steam. Same with Right and Down a rogue like puzzle game I just got

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Yeah, third party deals on Switch seem pretty good at times. It’s their first party titles they like to keep high.

Do you guys think Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen would be good in handheld? I see it’s on sale for $3.74

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
Yeah, third party deals on Switch seem pretty good at times. It’s their first party titles they like to keep high.

Do you guys think Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen would be good in handheld? I see it’s on sale for $3.74
I know you know you’ll never actually play it but for a laugh sure.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America

Fwiw I tried it last year and didn't like it. It starts kinda slow.

I think I played it on my laptop with a controller. I bet it would run well on Deck.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013

I have it on Switch, and Steam but have not tried it on the Deck yet.

It's a great game overall--I have beaten it like six times--but kind of dated in some respects in terms of the controls and UI, if you have never played it. And it definitely starts slow so you have to prepare to endure a few hours of fairly mundane early fetch type quests and narration. I played a lot of a campaign on Switch about a year ago, but ultimately lost interest.

It was always a B title graphically, which excelled thanks to a great combat system (one of the best ever for an open-world RPG IMO) and loot upgrade system. The Dark Arisen expansion is better graphically and excellent overall, reaching Dark Souls levels with its epic boss fights, but is basically end-game content.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I’m starting to experiment with tweaking settings to optimize battery life. Especially for older indie games, you can limit the TDP and other things to boost the battery without affecting performance.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Chiaki, the program that lets you stream Playstation games to your Steam Deck, is a must for anyone with a Steam Deck and PS4 or PS5.

I just got it working, and it took a little trial and error to find and input the right code for my PSN ID. But it seems to be a really good option for home streaming from the console to the Deck. Granted, I have my console hard wired to my router and my bedroom is one room over, so this is like a best case scenario, but the streaming seems pretty good!

Since I have PS Plus Extra, this dramatically increases my library of Deck-compatible games, stuff like Judgment, the FF VII Remaster, AC: Valhalla, all available. I will have to see how input lag affects things, but early on it seemed just fine to play most games.

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I think I am done fiddling with my Deck today, but this may be my next project: Xbox remote play streaming to Steam Deck. That way I can get all the Game Pass titles on my Deck. It looks to be possible to do this with remote play like the PS5.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Why Steam Deck Is One of the Most Significant PC Gaming Moments in Years | TechSpot

Nice article. I saw some good comments about it too.

I love the philosophy of steam deck: by default, it's an Switch-like device that hides all the non-fully compatible games in store, has good UI and makes sure everything "just works".
But where it differs from pretty much any other modern software product is that it trusts you as a user - you can install games that aren't verified. It'll tell you why they're not verified (small text, no controller support) but it'll let you install them anyway. And then map touchpads and controllers to emulate keyboard and mouse if you want. You can install games that aren't from Steam store. You can go do desktop mode. It doesn't judge. It will give you good experience by default and then let YOU judge if you want to stray away from it.

It's something that Apple fans always told us it's impossible to build - a device that is joy to use by default while still respecting your wishes as a user.

I don't even own a Steam Deck and I've been seeing the benefits just from its existence. Now, almost every game on Steam has a quick accessible rating that lets me know if it works fine on Linux. This has led to me being able to buy games confidently that I never would have otherwise. In addition, the effectiveness of Proton for running Windows games is baffling, and something I never could have expected when I first switched to Linux back in 2015.

Back when Steam Machines first came out, the expectation was that there would be a new push to get games working on Linux, which unfortunately didn't end up happening as strongly as expected. However, with how much of a success the Steam Deck was, it seems that the rush to get games ported to Linux actually is happening. I'm excited for the future.

I've been blown away by my Steam Deck. It arrived about 5 days before my long sought after PS5 and basically the PS5 has sat collecting dust. I pre-ordered the Deck thinking I'd sell or trade it for the PS5, that was basically my interest in the device.
But after a few days it was clear this was something special. Why? For me it's my 'forever console'. Access to my full Steam Library was one thing, but having basically every retro console at my disposal is unreal. Just last night I played a game of M.U.L.E. and StarRaiders on my Atari800 emulator. That was after a couple of rounds of MarioKart on SNES, then Pilot Wings on 64 and then some Resident Evil 4 on GameCube.

I also love that so many older PC games just work on it. I recently replayed the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on it (absolutely the best experience playing that game, something about the controls, the screen and it on my lap was just too fun). Ditto on Dark Souls 1 and 2 which I also just replayed (and yes Eldin Ring runs unreal on it, somehow).

The only real surprise is that Dead Space doesn't run on it, I have a hutch they'll get it sorted out (sorta like they did working with FromSoftware on Eldin Ring).

Lastly, the other major advantage for me is the ability to return games. This is an unheralded Steam feature that's a really great. I buy games I wouldn't even consider on PS-whatever/Xbox because you're screwed if you don't like it. Hell my 2 year old son managed to buy the new COD on PS5 by mashing the controller unsupervised for a few minutes and there is no way to return it, at least not easily; I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up.

Long/short - SteamDeck is something special, it plays a ton of modern games flawlessly including Eldin Ring, and is a retro-gaming dream-machine, plus Steam has a great library and the ability to return games after trying them is the final cherry on-top.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
The Deck's ability to stream PS5 games is pretty impressive. I have been playing Judgment by streaming it to my Deck from my console, and it works perfectly for a game like this.

I need to get the equivalent workaround going to stream XSX games, but it sounded a little more complicated to set up and I have been too lazy to do it.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
So, my first round trip plane experience with Steam Deck was positive overall. It's big, and definitely not as portable as a Switch Lite, but you can travel with it.

The battery life is what it is: below average. I played about an hour and 15 minutes of Dark Souls III and was down to 34%. I switched to Rogue Legacy and still had 11% when the flight landed some 3 and a half hours later. So, clearly it can handle indies, but AAA games won't last long on this battery.

One weird Steam glitch though is that you have to log online and start a game before losing your internet connection in some cases. I had wanted to play Midnight Suns instead of Dark Souls III but could not load it. I was able to load other games in flight just fine. I had read about this, and if you want to play certain games offline, you have to start them online and go into sleep mode before boarding the plane.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I'm taking mine on vacation this week, but I won't use it on the plane. I'm weird on planes - I have a pretty strong fear of flying so I can only do a few things comfortably. Immersing myself in a game isn't one of them.