andrew342678

Sorry Pearl, this item's not on the MENU!
Oct 25, 2003
6 years 29.5 mil

How is Ben Bishop these days? Is he at least better than Niemmi/Lethonen? If so then yay

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Over $15 mil committed to goalies for next season.

Of 64 NHL goalies last season, these three goalies were #41, #54, and #58 in Sv%.

So, yay? They've upgraded from far-below-average to simply below-average, with the highest goalie spending in the league to get there.

Watch out, everyone.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
To be fair, Bishop was playing for a rather terrible Tampa Bay team and a Kings team that was lucky to be close to a post season berth

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
The same teams Vasilevskiy, Quick, and Budaj played for and all had substantially better sv%.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
bishop had an off year. later in the year wasnt AS bad. we know bishop can be a top goalie tho. its just the injury situation.

he only got 5 million a year tho, i know hes older and your paying less for that but hopefully that means price will resign for around 8

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
To be fair, Bishop claims the split work load was throwing him off.

Also top in SV% one year isn't generally an indicator for the following season. Brian Elliot was the leader in the stat last year and Bishop was 2nd place...

I'd also argue that it isn't the best indicator for actually goaltending performance on its own either, one of the best goalies in the history of the league seemed to struggle more with that stat then others.

jrvegeeta

Silly bitch, your weapons can't harm me...
Not having Steven Stamkos for most of the year really hurt us and Ben this year. Believe me, a lot of Lightning fans still aren't happy that we lost him, but to be fair, there was a good chance we were going to lose him in the expansion draft (no way in hell Vegas would've passed him up if he was exposed).

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
But all they got for him was a middling prospect defenseman (and a stopgap backup goalie who's headed for UFA). They still have to lose someone in the expansion draft. If they sat on Bishop and exposed him as a pending-UFA to to the expansion draft, and Vegas took him - then that would be all they'd have lost in expansion. They wouldn't have lost any other player. But by trading him for peanuts, they still will lose a player at the expansion draft. They're likely to lose Killorn or Koekkoek or Dotchin or Coburn, when they could have avoided that by keeping Bishop as draft cannon fodder. I'm unclear if they're any better off with Cernak.

Last edited:

jrvegeeta

Silly bitch, your weapons can't harm me...
But all they got for him was a middling prospect defenseman (and a stopgap backup goalie who's headed for UFA). They still have to lose someone in the expansion draft. If they sat on Bishop and exposed him as a pending-UFA to to the expansion draft, and Vegas took him - then that would be all they'd have lost in expansion. They wouldn't have lost any other player. But by trading him for peanuts, they still will lose a player at the expansion draft. They're likely to lose Killorn or Koekkoek or Dotchin or Coburn, when they could have avoided that by keeping Bishop as draft cannon fodder. I'm unclear if they're any better off with Cernak.

Oh I agree - that's why I was prepared to accept that outcome. Granted, we avoided the worst possible outcome (losing Dotchin or Koekkoek), but I don't like losing Garrison, either.