extext

'n author
Oct 3, 2005
Really? So the title doesn't refer to Nate? Interesting... And it makes more sense, 'cause I agree with the OP. I can't make any connection.

extext

'n author
Oct 3, 2005
roosterjcogburn said:
It might be a reference to Nate covering up his real identity, but that doesn't seem right.
Yeah, they only touch on that briefly. It'd be weird to name the game after something that was introduced then left alone so quickly.

Feb 7, 2011
I'm sure it's a reference to Francis Drake deceiving the queen about Ubar.

Whats more interesting though is if Sir Francis was so cautious as to see the danger in uncovering Ubar before he even got there why didn't he realise the same thing when he was looking for El Dorado?

roosterjcogburn

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 6, 2010
Irish immigrant to USA
Violet_raine said:
I'm sure it's a reference to Francis Drake deceiving the queen about Ubar.

Whats more interesting though is if Sir Francis was so cautious as to see the danger in uncovering Ubar before he even got there why didn't he realise the same thing when he was looking for El Dorado?
I'm not sure... But if you think about it, the only thing that pointed the way to El Dorado (at least for Francis) were legends of the "City of Gold". It wasn't until he actually found it that he realized that there was no city, only a cursed sarcophagus. Conversely, the road to Ubar was filled with ancient traps, crypts and man-eating friggin spiders. So I can kind of see why he realized "Holy shit, this stuff needs to stay hidden." He took similar measures to hide the idol as well, except he had already found it and he never made it out. I think that was basically the reason he faked his death at sea; he was the last one who knew about El Dorado, so he took it upon himself to go back in secret and cover his tracks.

Legsolius

Noob
Aug 16, 2006
Before "Drake's Deception" was confirmed as a title "World of Deceit" was floating around. I don't know much about it, but if you google it, something will come up.

Spirit_Gun

Noob
Jun 23, 2011
Its a very weak tagline. Also they should have used a different font instead of reusing the 2nd game's tagline's font.

Jan 6, 2010
It might be Drake being told that Sully was captured. A pretty big chunk of the game happens because he thinks Sully was on that ship.

Spirit_Gun

Noob
Jun 23, 2011
Legsolius said:
Agreed. I also don't like that they used "Drake" in the title for two of the games and not for one.

Yeah, but another way to look at it is they blended the two, using Drake's from the first game and the font of the second game. Would've been better if it was all original.

CHawk15

Prime Member
Jul 20, 2011
Using the word Drake was appropriate in UC1 and UC3 because it referred to Sir Francis Drake in both cases. UC2 had nothing to do with Sir Francis, hence not having the name in the title. I don't see a problem with that.

Liebrc2008

Noob
Mar 5, 2011
It's referring most directly to Francis Drake's cover up of the Atlantis of the Sands, but I think it is sorta supposed to have multiple meanings, as in it's ALSO referring to Drake's shady past, the fact that it's not his real name, how he tricked Marlowe with the ring in the beginning, how he is deceived by the pirates, there's really a lot of things it can refer to throughout the game both large and small which is what makes it a solid, relevant title.

El_Wray88

Noob
Nov 12, 2012
I know I'm totally late on this but I thought it was completely about Nate most likely not being related to Drake at all. You know, he's some orphan and he daydreamed about being related to someone special and picked a treasure hunter. He centers his life around following an ancestor that isn't even his, he deceives everyone including himself. If it was really about Francis Drake lying to the Queen, that doesn't seem that cool at all. The first game could then be called Drake's Mistake since he kind of messed up finding El Dorado and Nate messed up too leading Roman and Navarro to it.