DarkBlood999

Moderately Disturbed
★ MOD
Aug 7, 2001
Washington
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/01/dmc-devil-may-crys-dante-grew-up-in-orphanages-run-by-demons/

We already know that Dante is half angel and half demon, and has been described as a “street brawler,” due to having grown up on the streets and fending for himself. Now, we also know that he spent the majority of his youth in various institutions, orphanages, youth correction facilities and foster homes. The catch is, most of these were run by demons and usually involved torture of some sort.

As a result, Dante has grown up with no respect for society and authority, and a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself. Capcom say that Dante takes the side of the underdog in what he sees as an unfair society.

DynamicDueeo

Hotline to Miami
Jul 2, 2011
I'm so confused.

I thought the whole reason why DmC was outsourced to Ninja Theory was because of their apparent knack for exceptional storytelling.

I still don't believe that's honestly what they're going with - there has to be a mistranslation or a construed quote or something. It reads like an awful, grimdark, angsty fanfiction. There's no way that Ninja Theory is seriously that out of touch with today's media that they're completely oblivious to how big of an eyerolling cliche this kind of trite is. Yikes.

Oct 6, 2009
I'm so confused.

I thought the whole reason why DmC was outsourced to Ninja Theory was because of their apparent knack for exceptional storytelling.

I still don't believe that's honestly what they're going with - there has to be a mistranslation or a construed quote or something. It reads like an awful, grimdark, angsty fanfiction. There's no way that Ninja Theory is seriously that out of touch with today's media that they're completely oblivious to how big of an eyerolling cliche this kind of trite is. Yikes.

How is DmC's backstory of Dino anymore cliche then DMC's (barely told) backstory of Dante?

Apr 14, 2004
I'm so confused.

How is DmC's backstory of Dino anymore cliche then DMC's (barely told) backstory of Dante?

If it was just gonna be another cliche story, it shouldnt have even bothered outsourcing to someone who has so called "original story telling" skills, but W/E

All this is sounding like is Neros story with a few alterations. Dante being bought up an orphanage which ran by demons, Nero was an orphan bought up in Fortuna by demons, not to mention alot of movesets of Dino is practically copy and paste of Nero.

Last edited:

moseslmpg

Supreme Ruler of the Mosesian Empire
Nov 25, 2002
Dino does represent a mixture of Dante and Nero, so his backstory makes sense.

Just to clarify btw, backstory is not the same as storytelling, and the backstory is far less cliched than Dante's original backstory. Really, regardless of any backstory they came up with, criticizing it as cliche would be the first thing people would do, because they have a vested interest in downplaying NT's contributions. I would be interested in hearing some "non-cliched" backstory alternatives though, since clearly growing up in foster care means they are going to start the story with "It was a dark and stormy night..." and end with "They lived happily ever after."

DynamicDueeo

Hotline to Miami
Jul 2, 2011
Dino does represent a mixture of Dante and Nero, so his backstory makes sense.

Just to clarify btw, backstory is not the same as storytelling, and the backstory is far less cliched than Dante's original backstory. Really, regardless of any backstory they came up with, criticizing it as cliche would be the first thing people would do, because they have a vested interest in downplaying NT's contributions. I would be interested in hearing some "non-cliched" backstory alternatives though,

Backstory is absolutely apart of storytelling, you're explaining who the character is to the audience and what he's been through that's led up to where he is today. It may vary on important and significance from story to story, but it definitely is an important part of good storytelling.

I'm not aware of what Dante's original backstory was - I only play the games and I've seen maybe a few episodes of the anime - but I vaguely remember something about Dante and Vergil growing up all brotherly-like until their mother died from a demon or something. From there Dante and Vergil coped with it in different ways, Dante embraced his human side and ate pizza or something while Vergil desperately sought power because he never wanted to be in that situation again where he couldn't protect someone he cared about. I may be getting a few parts wrong, but that's what I remember. And for what it was, it works. It wasn't too much, and it helped give a little bit more depth to Vergil's character in DMC3 and painted him a little bit more grey than outright evil.

Cliche wasn't really the word I had in mind whenever I thought about what DmC's story would be. I figured they would either try too hard to be artisty with it and have the story come off as pretentious or that it would just miss every mark in its execution and be flat out bad. Cliche never really crossed my mind. I figured that because Capcom was touting up Ninja Theory as these innovative storytellers and with how far DmC was deviating from the source material already, I just assumed that the story was probably going to be something radical to justify the whole reboot.

since clearly growing up in foster care means they are going to start the story with "It was a dark and stormy night..." and end with "They lived happily ever after."

Of course not, I'm saying that when you look at all of the pieces together the warning lights start going off. They're painting a picture of this character shaping up to be a terrible, terrible cliche. It reads like an awful DeviantArt fanfiction that was dreamt up by a fourteen year old kid while he was listening to Linkin Park one day on his ride home from school. The catch is, though, the school itself was actually run by demons.

moseslmpg

Nov 25, 2002
Backstory is absolutely apart of storytelling, you're explaining who the character is to the audience and what he's been through that's led up to where he is today. It may vary on important and significance from story to story, but it definitely is an important part of good storytelling.
Apart from, not apart of. The substance of a story, which I call the plot, is different than the method in which it is presented to the audience, which is what I recognize as storytelling. Given that what we have been given is a short summary of the backstory, and not even backstory in the narrative, saying that it amounts to an example of NT's bad storytelling (which they seem to be infamous for now) is reaching. How the backstory is used to set up the main story is important, but clearly, it is just being used here to explain why Dino is the way he is.
I'm not aware of what Dante's original backstory was - I only play the games and I've seen maybe a few episodes of the anime - but I vaguely remember something about Dante and Vergil growing up all brotherly-like until their mother died from a demon or something. From there Dante and Vergil coped with it in different ways, Dante embraced his human side and ate pizza or something while Vergil desperately sought power because he never wanted to be in that situation again where he couldn't protect someone he cared about. I may be getting a few parts wrong, but that's what I remember. And for what it was, it works. It wasn't too much, and it helped give a little bit more depth to Vergil's character in DMC3 and painted him a little bit more grey than outright evil.
Yes, that was their etiology, whcih served its purpose just as Dino's serves DmC's. But it really only explained one event in their lives and was not an actual backstory, as in a prelude to the main story of DMC3. So, I don't know why you bring it up here.
Cliche wasn't really the word I had in mind whenever I thought about what DmC's story would be. I figured they would either try too hard to be artisty with it and have the story come off as pretentious or that it would just miss every mark in its execution and be flat out bad. Cliche never really crossed my mind. I figured that because Capcom was touting up Ninja Theory as these innovative storytellers and with how far DmC was deviating from the source material already, I just assumed that the story was probably going to be something radical to justify the whole reboot.
Well it is the word many detractors have in mind, and which they throw about carelessly, oblivious to the fact that DMC was far more cliched, based on its use of tropes, than DmC is. Trying too hard is another criticism leveled against them, one which isn't supported by any evidence I have seen, and which sets up a strange dialectic between DmC and DMC. Was DMC not trying hard enough? Or was it simply effortless? I think maybe the word you are looking for is European, as opposed to the Hollywood OTT aesthetic that we have come to expect from DMC. Pretentiousness, I can probably concede to that, but only compared to DMC, which was apparently too subtle for many fans to fully appreciate. Still, as long as the cutscenes aren't as long as MGS, I think I can forgive them if they spontaneously resort to a preachiness not found in their past games.
Of course not, I'm saying that when you look at all of the pieces together the warning lights start going off. They're painting a picture of this character shaping up to be a terrible, terrible cliche. It reads like an awful DeviantArt fanfiction that was dreamt up by a fourteen year old kid while he was listening to Linkin Park one day on his ride home from school. The catch is, though, the school itself was actually run by demons.
I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing people who say that the story is cliche, despite the fact that we don't know the story yet. Nevertheless, they aren't painting as grimdark as a picture as you seem to be seeing. While NT may be using an established trope, it isn't possible to tell if it is used as a cliche until we actually know the full story. That the rebellious underdog loner is overused does not make it a cliche, and does not preclude it from being used appropriately. It clearly resonates with a significant portion of the demographic for it to be so popular, and NT is trying to address that demographic in the game. I think that should be clear to you. In any case, as long as it isn't as cliched as DMC, I don't have a problem with it. (I realize DMC isn't cliched per se, but it does have many, as you say, "warning lights").

Since you think NT is going to try too hard and be artsy, I'm sure whatever tropes they use will be nuanced and characterized by multifaceted subtleties only appreciable by the most elite of story aficionados, which pretty much precludes Dino from being cliched.

DynamicDueeo

Hotline to Miami
Jul 2, 2011
Apart from, not apart of. The substance of a story, which I call the plot, is different than the method in which it is presented to the audience, which is what I recognize as storytelling.

Different strokes for different folks. I disagree but I can see where you're coming from.

Given that what we have been given is a short summary of the backstory, and not even backstory in the narrative, saying that it amounts to an example of NT's bad storytelling (which they seem to be infamous for now) is reaching. How the backstory is used to set up the main story is important, but clearly, it is just being used here to explain why Dino is the way he is.

A good writer always keeps in mind the meta of it all. These are the first real bits and pieces we're finding out about who this character actually is, what this story is going to be about, and the tone of it all. A lot of the pressure is on NT for delivering on the story, since its been one of the main points why NT was chosen to begin with. So whatever they do release, it needs to be polished and tailormade knowing that from this people are going to draw conclusions and make assumptions. It's absolutely crucial for a writer to be mindful of this.

So when this manages to step on almost every proverbial "dark and brooding cliche" landmine as if it was like they were almost completely oblivious they were cliches, and then in the same breath mention that there are orphanages and foster homes run by demons without any further elaboration on the subject makes Ninja Theory look stupid. Like, really stupid. Almost too stupid to be unintentional. If they intentionally wrote it this way just to get another reaction out of people and keep the game relevant in the news, then my hat's off to them for being clever, but even then I don't think its doing them any favors.

If they wrote this trying to convey to their audience that this new Dante is a compelling, edgy character - or that this story is going to be worth the controversy of the reboot and having Ninja Theory in the first place - then they have failed horribly at it. Even if some of these absurd sounding things are actually really tastefully done in the finished project, it's entirely irrelevant because at this point your audience haven't played the finished project and probably won't for another year if they even buy it. Word it differently or do not include it at all. You're already painting a vivid picture of these characters and settings for your audience before they even put the game disk in, and its Ninja Theory's ignorance to this that makes me start to question if they're out of touch with anything else when it comes to presentation and story.

Pretentiousness, I can probably concede to that, but only compared to DMC, which was apparently too subtle for many fans to fully appreciate. Still, as long as the cutscenes aren't as long as MGS, I think I can forgive them if they spontaneously resort to a preachiness not found in their past games.

True, but then again I thought Enslaved was incredibly pretentious at points.

I was addressing people who say that the story is cliche, despite the fact that we don't know the story yet. Nevertheless, they aren't painting as grimdark as a picture as you seem to be seeing. While NT may be using an established trope, it isn't possible to tell if it is used as a cliche until we actually know the full story.

But again, they are telling their own story through the details they release to the public. All we have to go on is what we know, and from what has been told to us. And if the story uses the trope tastefully and it isn't a cliched angsty mess, then it was an incredibly poor choice on Ninja Theory's part to release the information bits and pieces in the order and the way that they did. There are plenty of better, more tactful ways to establish Dante as a rebellious, disgruntled youth with a dark past, all of which do not involve describing his character as a "rebellious, disgruntled youth with a dark past".

That the rebellious underdog loner is overused does not make it a cliche, and does not preclude it from being used appropriately. It clearly resonates with a significant portion of the demographic for it to be so popular, and NT is trying to address that demographic in the game.

I think it's an easy way for a writer to artificially give a character "depth", and I think a lot of people have abused this in the past, which has made it into the stigma it is today. But that time has mostly came and went and these kind of characters are usually met with a lot of contempt and eyerolling today.

ChaosAptom

The N00b Killer Returns
May 15, 2006
Not really enough info about the story to be making judgement on its quality. It is curious how NT plans on handling the traumatic death in the family or if that is even part of the plot any more. Dante being put into a foster/orphanage house is a logical step after losing both his parents although it being run by demons is an interesting twist. Which begs the question... if demons killed Eva why aren't they killing Dante too? What is their motive with torturing Dante? Going through this experience Dante would turn out the way he is.

The story has been kept a tight lid on and that's actually a good thing since it is going to be main draw for the game anyway. How NT plans on handling the canon and giving it better presentation is the reason why they got the job in the first place so there is no point in spoiling the story now. There should be enough twists and surprises even for the DMC fans.

moseslmpg

Nov 25, 2002
Different strokes for different folks. I disagree but I can see where you're coming from.
You disagree that storytelling refers to a method (telling) of presenting the story? How do you manage that?
A good writer always keeps in mind the meta of it all. These are the first real bits and pieces we're finding out about who this character actually is, what this story is going to be about, and the tone of it all. A lot of the pressure is on NT for delivering on the story, since its been one of the main points why NT was chosen to begin with. So whatever they do release, it needs to be polished and tailormade knowing that from this people are going to draw conclusions and make assumptions. It's absolutely crucial for a writer to be mindful of this.
A good writer didn't release this information. It was released on a blog by a Capcom employee and is just a synopsis. This isn't in the realm of writing of storytelling yet. It isn't even an official blurb. It is no different than saying Dante's mother was killed by demons when he was young, and he searches for her killer and hunts demons to avenge her; it is an infodump. And I think NT and Capcom are beyond caring what assumptions people are going to make about this game, because they are so disconnected from reality that they cannot bear the responsibility anymore. No matter what they release, it will be met by a negative reaction by fans and negative spin of the actual facts.
So when this manages to step on almost every proverbial "dark and brooding cliche" landmine as if it was like they were almost completely oblivious they were cliches, and then in the same breath mention that there are orphanages and foster homes run by demons without any further elaboration on the subject makes Ninja Theory look stupid. Like, really stupid. Almost too stupid to be unintentional. If they intentionally wrote it this way just to get another reaction out of people and keep the game relevant in the news, then my hat's off to them for being clever, but even then I don't think its doing them any favors.
It doesn't step on them though, that's the thing. To continue your metaphor, it is more like the fans placing mines where they stepped after the fact (ok, it doesn't work so well, but you get the point). It isn't particularly dark or brooding (neither is Dino himself, as he seems well adjusted enough so far). The backstory seems pretty normal to me, as many people actually do grow up in foster care and it isn't a picnic in real life either. Dino isn't described as some tortured soul, he doesn't suffer from ennui or self-loathing, he doesn't blame God for his problems, he wasn't a child soldier, he doesn't think he is unlovable and dramatically push away everyone he meets, he doesn't obsess over ways to protect the ones he loves, etc. So there's nothing very grimdark here. And again, they aren't cliches, because the tropes actually seem appropriate in this situation and with the world they are going for. Or at least, you can't make the judgment on whether they are cliches or not unless we see them in context, because that is what determines the difference. Maybe it is just me, but I fail to see the stupidity in releasing the backstory of a character about which we had little information on before. It seems just like more negative spin on a fairly innocuous tidbit of information.
If they wrote this trying to convey to their audience that this new Dante is a compelling, edgy character - or that this story is going to be worth the controversy of the reboot and having Ninja Theory in the first place - then they have failed horribly at it. Even if some of these absurd sounding things are actually really tastefully done in the finished project, it's entirely irrelevant because at this point your audience haven't played the finished project and probably won't for another year if they even buy it. Word it differently or do not include it at all. You're already painting a vivid picture of these characters and settings for your audience before they even put the game disk in, and its Ninja Theory's ignorance to this that makes me start to question if they're out of touch with anything else when it comes to presentation and story.
They didn't write it for that purpose. They wrote it to frame the character in a succinct fashion, so that we know where he is coming from. I think that the way these ideas are executed is only irrelevant to those who would prejudge the game based on the second hand synopsis of one character within it, and they aren't really the target audience anyway. If the backstory has caused you to question the totality of NT's creative integrity and competence, you should probably just not buy the game and be done with it. For more reasonable people, it isn't a problem though, because they don't rely on shaky innuendo based on their own uninformed perception of one tiny bit of data to judge the integrity of an entire project. In fact, the majority of people don't give a crap about the backstory, and even less so in a DMC game.
True, but then again I thought Enslaved was incredibly pretentious at points.
Those points being?
But again, they are telling their own story through the details they release to the public. All we have to go on is what we know, and from what has been told to us. And if the story uses the trope tastefully and it isn't a cliched angsty mess, then it was an incredibly poor choice on Ninja Theory's part to release the information bits and pieces in the order and the way that they did. There are plenty of better, more tactful ways to establish Dante as a rebellious, disgruntled youth with a dark past, all of which do not involve describing his character as a "rebellious, disgruntled youth with a dark past".
When I say story, I mean the story of the game, not the story of NT making the game. Also, you are mischaracterizing the substance of the information released. When you simplify anything to that level, it always sounds cliched. You could use that blurb for the original Dante, as well as probably the majority of modern heroes. Rarely do we see a happy, content youth with a satisfactory past as the hero because that precludes the impetus for them becoming a hero (usually). But, if you actually read what was said, they did not mention him as rebellious or disgruntled, and his past isn't very dark. They simply explain how his childhood experience affect the way he acts as the character we play as in the present. Again, no different than a little profile of Dante in the old games, explaining Eva and Sparda and so on. I do agree that there are better ways to establish that than simply literally describing his backstory, but we have to wait for the game to see how they establish the backstory, while also keeping in mind that backstory is usually used only as a way to frame the main story and is not usually depicted.
I think it's an easy way for a writer to artificially give a character "depth", and I think a lot of people have abused this in the past, which has made it into the stigma it is today. But that time has mostly came and went and these kind of characters are usually met with a lot of contempt and eyerolling today.
I don't see how such a backstory gives a character depth, artificial or genuine. Here at least it is only being used to justify Dino's actions and situation in the present. I would actually argue it sounds a bit shallow from what they have given us here, but I assume they will connect it to his parentage later. It seems to fit with DmC fine, and with the general themes of DMC proper as well, so I can't condemn the way they have used it here.

It seems to me, that you and the others who use this recent info as more definitive proof of NT's incompetence, are seeing things that aren't there. And then complaining about things that aren't there as if they are, as ever.

DynamicDueeo

Hotline to Miami
Jul 2, 2011
You disagree that storytelling refers to a method (telling) of presenting the story? How do you manage that?

No, I'm disagreeing with the fact that you disconnect backstory from storytelling. I believe everything having to do with a story falls under the realm of storytelling. Even through previews and teasers before the game and the story itself actually come out, and almost especially so, because like it or not you're setting the tone for what the audience is expecting this game to be.

A good writer didn't release this information. It was released on a blog by a Capcom employee and is just a synopsis. This isn't in the realm of writing of storytelling yet. It isn't even an official blurb. It is no different than saying Dante's mother was killed by demons when he was young, and he searches for her killer and hunts demons to avenge her; it is an infodump.

Okay, under the assumption that this story will actually be extremely good and that this infodump takes the depth and brevity of it out of context, I will concede that a writer probably had nothing to do with releasing this information, but this was given the green light to be released by the project leads at Ninja Theory/Capcom who apparently thought this was acceptable. Again, this was an extremely bad choice to infodump this kind of information of all things first and reflects poorly at both NT and Capcom.

Again, this is still under the assumption that the story isn't a cliched grimdark mess, which from everything we have seen so far is a bold assumption.

And I think NT and Capcom are beyond caring what assumptions people are going to make about this game, because they are so disconnected from reality that they cannot bear the responsibility anymore. No matter what they release, it will be met by a negative reaction by fans and negative spin of the actual facts.

Then they are idiots and that's a pathetic kind of attitude to have. It's also completely not true and makes me wonder if they know the slightest thing about PR or handling a fanbase.

To give you an example about how a good company with capable individuals handles something like this, do you remember the development process of Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Both Deus Ex: HR and DmC were extremely controversial reboots from their announcement and both games were met with a huge, huge backlash of angry fans of the older games. Everyone was up in arms that Human Revolution was going to "ruin Deus Ex forever", and when details starting coming out about how the game would have many staples of the modern day FPS (regenerating health and an emphasis on action). How did Eidos handle it? They ignored the hate and pretended it didn't exist (not in the elitist way of thinking their game was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but in the humble way of continuing to put on a metaphorical smile and keeping up with the fans). They continued to go through painstaking efforts in the midst of the insane amount of criticism this game was getting to prove to the butthurt, irrational fans that the license was in good hands and that they knew what made the original Deus Ex so widely praised and that they were making a good game. It took a long, long time, but Eidos remained steadfast and never lost their composure. Eventually the haters starting dwindling, doubts started dissipating, and people started coming around.

And in the end, you know what? The fans didn't really want to hate a new Deus Ex game. They were angry because they were scared it was going to go against everything that made the original series a success and that this was just a cheap cash-in on the namebrand. Once they realized that these developers genuinely cared about the past iterations of the series and wanted to do right by the fans, they weren't angry anymore. Look how great that game did and look how much its revered by those same people who spat on the very concept of it. That's the most basic, fundamental rule of handling a fanbase: you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. Empathy goes a long, long way.

I feel like its almost an insult to Eidos to compare them to the trainwreck that has been the development of DmC. Everything that I have said about Eidos in the above paragraph holds the complete opposite to Ninja Theory handling DmC's reboot. They consistently have insulted the franchise, lashed out at the fans who were upset, and just displayed an overwhelming sense of incompetence and a profound sense of being out of touch with why DMC was successful in the first place. It has nothing to do with the fact that its a reboot of Devil May Cry, and everything to do with the developers themselves. They deserve every bit of the hate they are getting for this. It is entirely their fault. If you told a company like Eidos to go make a DMC reboot, I guarantee you that by this same point in the development process, the haters would be a minority.

It doesn't step on them though, that's the thing. To continue your metaphor, it is more like the fans placing mines where they stepped after the fact (ok, it doesn't work so well, but you get the point). It isn't particularly dark or brooding (neither is Dino himself, as he seems well adjusted enough so far). The backstory seems pretty normal to me, as many people actually do grow up in foster care and it isn't a picnic in real life either.

Absolutely, I agree with you. But there's a way to tastefully accomplish this without making your audience immediately label the character with a negative stigma, even in a brief backstory synopsis like this. Or, I dunno, old Dante never had a father figure, his brother tries to kill him, and his mother died in front of his eyes and he totally plays against the trope. Just saying [face_tongue]

Dino isn't described as some tortured soul,

But he is, though. He's being - deliberately or not - painted in the audiences' heads as being victimized. In the first trailer he's strung up in chains being interrogated. In the backstory it talks about how he was tortured growing up.

he doesn't suffer from ennui or self-loathing,

Again in the link above, "a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself."

Or at least, you can't make the judgment on whether they are cliches or not unless we see them in context, because that is what determines the difference. Maybe it is just me, but I fail to see the stupidity in releasing the backstory of a character about which we had little information on before. It seems just like more negative spin on a fairly innocuous tidbit of information.

That's really the point I'm trying to make in this, the audience has little to go on about how to define Dante's character and they place a much bigger emphasis on what little they have heard to characterize him. The next time we see the character in a preview/trailer/etc, we already will subconsciously associate those qualities with him. If there is a scene with Dante interacting with another character in the next trailer, the audience will automatically fill in the blanks behind his actions ("He never smiles and seems pretty angry in this scene, I guess he's turned out this way because of his rough childhood"). Worse yet is if there is a scene in a future trailer where Dante has a moment of weakness or vulnerability, and because of the context the audience has had thus far they start to infer the tone of the game "Geez, this is really dark and emo, it seems like all this game is about is just angst and brooding", even if the rest of the game isn't even like that. It could take a really powerful, well done dramatic moment of desperation and self realization in the game and completely ruin it because the audience will just roll their eyes "here we go with the emo **** again".

It's nothing set in stone, of course, if NT doesn't like the traits the audience is associating Dante with, they can deviate away from that by having the character play against what our expectations are enough to the point where we start to re-evaluate them. But I'm kind of doubtful they will, they probably have no idea that this is even happening right now.

I think that the way these ideas are executed is only irrelevant to those who would prejudge the game based on the second hand synopsis of one character within it, and they aren't really the target audience anyway. For more reasonable people, it isn't a problem though, because they don't rely on shaky innuendo based on their own uninformed perception of one tiny bit of data to judge the integrity of an entire project. In fact, the majority of people don't give a crap about the backstory, and
even less so in a DMC game.

It has nothing to do with being reasonable or not. You have to understand that as human beings we love order and we don't like the unknown. That's why we love to put labels on everything as quickly as we can. People, movies, games, it doesn't matter. That's why it's probably important for NT to have the only information story elements they've released over the past two years to not paint this rebellious angsty tone over the story, unless that's the intention they are going for.

Also, you bring up a good point, who exactly is their target audience anyway? I honestly can't say for certainty anymore who they're pandering this to.

If the backstory has caused you to question the totality of NT's creative integrity and competence, you should probably just not buy the game and be done with it.

Again, like Deus Ex, I don't really want to hate a new DMC game. I really don't, it's been like five years since one has come out. I don't think anyone really does, and it's sad because I don't think anyone is really opposed to the concept of a DMC reboot. But it's been a year and a half and nothing has changed from my initial perception and reaction of this game, in fact it's only solidified it more.

Last edited:

moseslmpg

Nov 25, 2002
OK, this is going to be my last response in this discussion, as it has run its course, and it isn't going anywhere. I must add that I was misled into thinking that this argument was actually about the backstory itself, and not a vehicle for general polemics against NT under false pretenses.
No, I'm disagreeing with the fact that you disconnect backstory from storytelling. I believe everything having to do with a story falls under the realm of storytelling. Even through previews and teasers before the game and the story itself actually come out, and almost especially so, because like it or not you're setting the tone for what the audience is expecting this game to be.
The backstory is a segment of the story. It is only related to storytelling in the manner in which it is conveyed to the audience by the producers of the work. Press releases are not storytelling, neither are blog posts on development, and neither are blurbs on the back of a game case. All story is connected to storytelling in the sense that story is contingent on storytelling to exist qua story, and storytelling does require a story to tell. However, they are disconnected in the sense that one is a method, while one is the substance revealed by that method; the same story can be told in different ways if different storytelling methods are used. What we were given was the substance of the story, the bare facts, but we don't know how this story will be presented canonically. So yes, they are not connected in the sense that you were asserting. Your belief is a definitional fallacy, since it fails to meaningfully distinguish between the terms "story" and "storytelling."
Again, this was an extremely bad choice to infodump this kind of information of all things first and reflects poorly at both NT and Capcom.
So says you. I'd say most people without a chip on their shoulder regarding the game have no problem with the tidbits we were given, and either find them innocuous or simply unimportant to their perception of the game.
Again, this is still under the assumption that the story isn't a cliched grimdark mess, which from everything we have seen so far is a bold assumption.
Again, so says you. It seems that you have revealed your agenda here, and you have been begging the question this whole time, which is why I see no point in continuing beyond this.
"And I think NT and Capcom are beyond caring what assumptions people are going to make about this game, because they are so disconnected from reality that they cannot bear the responsibility anymore. No matter what they release, it will be met by a negative reaction by fans and negative spin of the actual facts."
Then they are idiots and that's a pathetic kind of attitude to have. It's also completely not true and makes me wonder if they know the slightest thing about PR or handling a fanbase.
Right, yeah, this is exactly my point.
To give you an example about how a good company with capable individuals handles something like this, do you remember the development process of Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Both Deus Ex: HR and DmC were extremely controversial reboots from their announcement and both games were met with a huge, huge backlash of angry fans of the older games. Everyone was up in arms that Human Revolution was going to "ruin Deus Ex forever", and when details starting coming out about how the game would have many staples of the modern day FPS (regenerating health and an emphasis on action). How did Eidos handle it? They ignored the hate and pretended it didn't exist (not in the elitist way of thinking their game was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but in the humble way of continuing to put on a metaphorical smile and keeping up with the fans). They continued to go through painstaking efforts in the midst of the insane amount of criticism this game was getting to prove to the butthurt, irrational fans that the license was in good hands and that they knew what made the original Deus Ex so widely praised and that they were making a good game. It took a long, long time, but Eidos remained steadfast and never lost their composure. Eventually the haters starting dwindling, doubts started dissipating, and people started coming around.
First of all, let me just say, Eidos and Capcom, Deus Ex and DMC are not comparable. Also, DmC is not a reboot. Thirdly, that is exactly what Capcom has done with DmC and why they continue to ignore people who are dedicated to disliking this game regardless of what they do. It is a prudent approach that anyone in their position would emulate. Fourthly, I'm sure there are still butthurt fanboys out there that hate HR with every fiber of their being. Fifthly, what you describe is most likely what will happen in the end, with the haters dwindling and dying down, and to assume that it won't is just another example of begging the question.
And in the end, you know what? The fans didn't really want to hate a new Deus Ex game. They were angry because they were scared it was going to go against everything that made the original series a success and that this was just a cheap cash-in on the namebrand. Once they realized that these developers genuinely cared about the past iterations of the series and wanted to do right by the fans, they weren't angry anymore. Look how great that game did and look how much its revered by those same people who spat on the very concept of it. That's the most basic, fundamental rule of handling a fanbase: you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. Empathy goes a long, long way.
You are presenting a generalized perception of what went on in the fanbase to try and prove a point. Where is the data? Why should I trust this narrative you are spinning over any other interpretation? Did you interview a representative sample of fans? And again, you seem to be precluding this fanbase reconciliation from happening in DmC's case (no doubt because of your prodigious insight into the hivemind of the fanbase). As for the bolded, apparently fans seem to think empathy is a one way street. It isn't.
I feel like its almost an insult to Eidos to compare them to the trainwreck that has been the development of DmC. Everything that I have said about Eidos in the above paragraph holds the complete opposite to Ninja Theory handling DmC's reboot. They consistently have insulted the franchise, lashed out at the fans who were upset, and just displayed an overwhelming sense of incompetence and a profound sense of being out of touch with why DMC was successful in the first place. It has nothing to do with the fact that its a reboot of Devil May Cry, and everything to do with the developers themselves. They deserve every bit of the hate they are getting for this. It is entirely their fault. If you told a company like Eidos to go make a DMC reboot, I guarantee you that by this same point in the development process, the haters would be a minority.
If you feel insulted, then you need to deal with your clear, deep seated bias against DmC. Speaking in absolutes and generalizations, relying on assumptions and unsupported foregone conclusions, it is no wonder you feel disgust at the thought of comparing the two. So yeah, I understand that this is your opinion and your perception of NT, but it is entirely beside the point of the original topic of discussion, and it is just that -- your personal opinion clearly colored by the nebulous malevolence arbitrarily attributed to NT simply because they are NT. Like I said, seeing things that aren't there. And btw, you can't guarantee me anything about Eidos rebooting DMC, because you don't work at Eidos, know the outcome of decisions that were never made, and even if you did, don't have any way of determining or influencing the sentiments of thousands of people. I can just as easily guarantee that if PG was approached to do the reboot, the game would be universally panned as a failure. (Also, the haters are in the minority at this moment, so there's that too).
IAbsolutely, I agree with you. But there's a way to tastefully accomplish this without making your audience immediately label the character with a negative stigma, even in a brief backstory synopsis like this. Or, I dunno, old Dante never had a father figure, his brother tries to kill him, and his mother died in front of his eyes and he totally plays against the trope. Just saying [face_tongue]
Dante did not play against the trope just because his demeanor is different. He does have inner turmoil, and he is pretty cynical and world weary, at least in DMC1. He's also out to avenge his mother, lone ranger style, and so on.
But he is, though. He's being - deliberately or not - painted in the audiences' heads as being victimized. In the first trailer he's strung up in chains being interrogated. In the backstory it talks about how he was tortured growing up.
Being victimized and being a tortured soul are different. Having once been a victim is meant to help Dino connect to the plight of all the people who are oppressed by the demons, because he experienced it firsthand. My point was that he is not depicted as someone who laments his fate and just feels sorry for himself, and cuts or drinks to make the pain go away. He seems fairly normal, so far, given the way he grew up. Granted we don't have much to go on, but it is definitely too early to say that he is a tortured soul, at least moreso than the twins were in the old series.
Again in the link above, "a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself."
Hatred of your victimizers is not ennui or self-loathing. He hates demons even though he himself is half-demon, indicating that he feels little to no kinship with them, despite his power coming in part from them. And again, I'm using the original Dante as a baseline here. He is no worse in this regard than old Dante, but I also don't expect him to skip down the street whistling a cheerful tune.
That's really the point I'm trying to make in this, the audience has little to go on about how to define Dante's character and they place a much bigger emphasis on what little they have heard to characterize him. The next time we see the character in a preview/trailer/etc, we already will subconsciously associate those qualities with him. If there is a scene with Dante interacting with another character in the next trailer, the audience will automatically fill in the blanks behind his actions ("He never smiles and seems pretty angry in this scene, I guess he's turned out this way because of his rough childhood"). Worse yet is if there is a scene in a future trailer where Dante has a moment of weakness or vulnerability, and because of the context the audience has had thus far they start to infer the tone of the game "Geez, this is really dark and emo, it seems like all this game is about is just angst and brooding", even if the rest of the game isn't even like that. It could take a really powerful, well done dramatic moment of desperation and self realization in the game and completely ruin it because the audience will just roll their eyes "here we go with the emo **** again".
If the audience doesn't have enough to go on, then it is their responsibility to withhold their judgment of the situation until they are more completely informed. NT is not responsible for every tangential assumption brought up by what they release to the public. So, if the audience is going to make those assumptions, there is really nothing NT or anyone else can do to stop them. As for myself, I am content to have some information now, rather than having to wait for it all later.
But I'm kind of doubtful they will, they probably have no idea that this is even happening right now.
They do know, because of the comments on CU, but they also know that out of 100 criticisms, only maybe 1 is actually worth listening to, because most of the people who complain are committed to a negative view of the game regardless of what gets released. Unfortunately, that is the result of overloading the forums with vapid, redundant, complaints and unrealistic ultimatums.
It has nothing to do with being reasonable or not. You have to understand that as human beings we love order and we don't like the unknown. That's why we love to put labels on everything as quickly as we can. People, movies, games, it doesn't matter. That's why it's probably important for NT to have the only information story elements they've released over the past two years to not paint this rebellious angsty tone over the story, unless that's the intention they are going for.
Bringing human nature in is bordering on the naturalistic fallacy. Just because people act one way doesn't mean they should or that attitude should be pandered to. But, let's say humans do dislike the unknown, how can you then paint any revelation of concrete information as negative? According to your logic, any information, even horrible news, is a good thing. Anyway, my point was just that NT cannot be expected to accommodate the demands of people who have proven themselves unreasonable in their expectations. If some fans want oral sex and two bars of solid gold to come with their game, they are being unreasonable and thus are not worth dignifying with attention. If someone has already decided that the game is going to be a horrible "trainwreck," or that assuming it will be good is "bold," as you have, then of course they are going to view anything released about the game negatively to confirm the conclusion they have already reached. To people like that, who have already decided what the end product is going to be, there is little point in attempting to change their minds, because their minds have been made up.
Also, you bring up a good point, who exactly is their target audience anyway? I honestly can't say for certainty anymore who they're pandering this to.
Their target audience is Western gamers in general. They are trying to broaden the appeal of the game by making it less Japanesey, to convince people who were not fans of DMC before or were hesitant because of how elite and niche the series was, to give it a try. You can read about Capcom's marketing strategies on their business website, especially the Development Strategy. The entire purpose is to make it more generic and more accessible and more mainstream, to expand the existing fanbase to maximize the profitability of the franchise worldwide. Of course, this necessarily means that the interests of the hardcore minority are being selected against by the Capcom execs, but that's a tradeoff I'm sure they are willing to accept.
Again, like Deus Ex, I don't really want to hate a new DMC game. I really don't, it's been like five years since one has come out. I don't think anyone really does, and it's sad because I don't think anyone is really opposed to the concept of a DMC reboot. But it's been a year and a half and nothing has changed from my initial perception and reaction of this game, in fact it's only solidified it more.
You are very good at doing what you don't want to do. Usually, when I don't want to do something and am not under some kind of duress and don't see any conflict between my wants and what is in my best interest, I don't do that thing I don't want to do. If you feel that you simply can't get excited about the game, I could understand that, but you seem pretty dedicated to your position, despite your protest.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. This post is too long.

RyBond007

Noob
Dec 6, 2005
Geez Moses, I actually read that.

And I have one question to ask everyone in general....is DmC actually WORKING so far with the target audience? Unbiased, non-hardcore DMC fans who had little or no interest in the series before. In my discussions with random people who have never played the original games, they actually seem quite turned off. Not only by the PR, but by the game itself. Some have expressed a desire to play the original games over this. Others have expressed no desire to play any. But this is just a small sample as I'm not everywhere at once.
I am curious as to how many people will actually change their minds about the franchise because of this game.

moseslmpg

Nov 25, 2002
WTF, 20 minute editing limit? OK, some additions I was trying to edit in:
Regarding the underlined portion, even you recognize that the situation changed once the fans realized the folly of their previous perception; they realized thatthey were in the wrong and were reconciled with the developers, and there is no reason to think that something similar won't happen in this case. As for the bolded, apparently fans seem to think empathy (and respect) is a one way street. It isn't.

As for NT's handling of the series, it is not like Capcom themselves have been faithful stewards of the franchise either. We have two universally lauded installments to the franchise, and two less than satisfactory treatments of the IP. We are in this predicament partly because of their inability to consistently deliver on the DMC franchise and allow it to reach its full potential. Honestly, I would rather have NT handle DmC, than get DMC4 redux. If that's what we can expect fro the series once Capcom releases the next game, then I think it is better of dead.

Ry: We can't really know. Most of the people who know about the game enough to have an opinion about it are already DMC fans. Capcom is hoping to expand into the untapped market of people who didn't really care or know about DMC before. So, until they start marketing it, or unless we can find a place where there is a representative sample of all kinds of gamers in general, we can't know for sure.

Last edited:

DynamicDueeo

Hotline to Miami
Jul 2, 2011
Well if you're going to back out of the argument, then there's no real point for me to spend a half an hour typing up a rebuttal to each point you made. I still stand by what I've said so far, especially the Deus Ex and DMC comparison in how the different companies handle criticisms. I'll concede to you the technicality about the whole "defining storytelling bit" because technically you are correct in the exact terminology of it, but that's neither here nor there. In a perfect world, I wish the audience had the decency to reserve judgment until they saw a finished product, but they don't and that's just how things are. And I'm not going to claim that I'm above that either; I'm not a fan of what I've seen so far. I think its completely unprofessional the way Ninja Theory has handled the public relations with the fans more than anything, and they completely deserve as much hate as they're getting a year and a half later, which is sad because it could have been avoided.

And I have one question to ask everyone in general....is DmC actually WORKING so far with the target audience? Unbiased, non-hardcore DMC fans who had little or no interest in the series before. In my discussions with random people who have never played the original games, they actually seem quite turned off. Not only by the PR, but by the game itself. Some have expressed a desire to play the original games over this. Others have expressed no desire to play any. But this is just a small sample as I'm not everywhere at once.
I am curious as to how many people will actually change their minds about the franchise because of this game.

It's a good question.

Is it for DMC fans? They've alienated a lot of the franchises' fanbase, and they're pretty vocal about it. Even someone who just occasionally browses gaming forums with no real interest in DMC has no doubt heard of this drama and it has probably influenced their perspective of the game one way or the other.

Is it for action gamers? So far, we've seen nothing that makes it particularly stand out on its own against other action games. But a lot hasn't been shown yet.

Is it for western audiences? Hard to say, really. I don't really think a lot of western games feature a prominent character that looks like Dante does. That doesn't really strike me as western per-say, I can't think of anything I've really seen that would make it pop out to us.

Last edited:

Brounin

Noob
Mar 4, 2019
I'm so confused.

Idea was decent and made sense not like devil may cry hasn't used the most cliche storytelling nero and his girls romance even the old devil may cry were cliche added a charm to it this dmc in total made sense to my it was ok not as good as the others but it did fill in a few gaps that didn't make sense before for example why is dante a half demon slaughtering all these full fledge demons him being half devil and angel made alot of sense to me tbh the only thing I didn't like was vergil they made him into a manipulating coward which was way off from his more noble power hungry personality and the character kat was a nice addition to the story it shows where dante got his faith I humanity from and probably how he went from a dark humour but brooding persona because of his terrible childhood to a more charming and confident persona

Apr 9, 2021

misslore

Noob
Mar 7, 2022
He rejected Sparda as his father once upon a time and probably doesn't like demonic things because of Eva.

That being said, Trish and Lucia and even Nero to an extent are proof that current Dante isn't discriminatory in regards to demons.