IRMacGuyver

IR not supposed to be here
Jan 13, 2001
I was just thinking about the "kuwabara kuwabara" line in MGS 3. Would it have been better if they localized it as "thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening"

I'm just not a fan of translations where they don't even try to localize the phrase. I come from the 80s when everything was translated even if it lost/changed the meaning.

Last edited:

Four-

And then there's MOD
★ MOD
Mar 9, 2004
I was just thinking about the "kuwabara kuwabara" line in MGS 3. Would it have been better if they localized it as "thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening"

I'm just not a fan of translations where they don't even try to localize the phrase. I come from the 80s when everything was translated even if it lost/changed the meaning.
I have a vague memory of talking about this with you, but I guess we didn't.

I agree, the Kuwabara thing really didn't make much sense, both for a game localized outside of the Japanese language and in the context of a hard-nosed Soviet colonel who committed atrocities during WW2 (I doubt very much he'd adopt any aspect of Japanese culture, considering that Soviet-era Russians were ironically just as xenophobic as Nazis, they just didn't round people up in internment camps... well actually in Volgin's case he'd participated in the Katyn massacre, so there you go!).

It didn't help that Neil Ross's performance had the charisma of a cotton ball and he hardly sold the line to the audience.

Last edited: