May 24, 2013
I haven't ever played it before [face_thinking]

You seriously should, but download it off Nintendo's 3DS eShop or Wii VC if you don't have an NES to play it on. It's always the best thing to play the very first game in a very long series, just to get a better feel for its history--and Castlevania has quite a bit of that!

If you haven't played any of the NES trilogy, I suggest playing all of them. Castlevania 3 is my most favorite of them all (In fact, my most favorite game in the entire 20+ years long legacy), so I recommend that with a highest honor.

NiKva

eDetective
Jul 19, 2011
I haven't ever played it before [face_thinking]

You seriously should, but download it off Nintendo's 3DS eShop or Wii VC if you don't have an NES to play it on. It's always the best thing to play the very first game in a very long series, just to get a better feel for its history--and Castlevania has quite a bit of that!

If you haven't played any of the NES trilogy, I suggest playing all of them. Castlevania 3 is my most favorite of them all (In fact, my most favorite game in the entire 20+ years long legacy), so I recommend that with a highest honor.
Lol @ buying NES games. That's what the internet is for [face_peace]

Badouken

Noob
Oct 21, 2011
The NES version? [face_thinking]

Castlevania 1 (NES) , Castlevania Sotn (PS1, XBLA, PSN) , Rondo of Blood (MSX, Wii VC, PSP) , and Castlevania 4 (SNES, Wii VC) are imo the definitive 4 games to play in the castlevania series but there are far more worth playing like the GBA and the DS games are all excellent.

Sep 30, 2010
I would probably start with Super CV IV as it seems to be all the rage, but be warned this is the more classic style. SOTN if you prefer more RPG based platformers.

Jul 12, 2014
Texas
If you love DBZ BT3, then you might get some enjoyment out of castlevania judgement for the wii

I'm starting a castlevania week that includes 13 castlevanias, so if you want to know my favorite, make sure to visit week of castlevania on June 28

Dec 25, 2014
Of course. if you love Castlevania you should play and beat them all. Granted if you have not played the NES castlevania's. At least 1 and 3, be prepared for the hardest Castlevania games you have ever played. Castlevania 2 is only hard because of how Cryptic the clues and lies are. but it is beatable without a guide. At least it was back in the day because of word of mouth at school and endless experimenting. The gameplay itself is among the easiest ever though

WallMeat

Noob
Jan 18, 2016
I would absolutely recommend the original. If you don't typically play retro games, you may find the controls a little stiff, but I've never had a problem with it.

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse is my favorite in the series. I'd recommend you get that too. It takes everything from the original and expands.

Apr 22, 2015
Castlevania is one of the best games in NES. you should try and play it. There's a downloadable emulator for NES games if you don't have a console for it.

Lockeadon

Noob
Feb 13, 2019
You'll has to get used to the weird jumping and whipping but the nes games are still worth playing

fotograma

No Longer a Noob
Feb 25, 2015
Namek
if you want your true gamer badge, yes.

don't use emulation save anywhere feature. You have 3 lives or so, try not to lose them and get a game over - that's all.