Bonemeal2pointOh

Sleep enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003
Mt. Perdition, Gallifrey
So, I got F1 2011 a couple days ago, but I've some questions. The most-recent Formula 1 game I'd played prior to F1 2011 was F1 2009 for PSP. In the PSP version, the crew chief gave instructions on how to improve performance. I don't seem to get that, here. I have "Pit Assist" on, but I don't notice anything different when it's on or off. Could someone please tell me what Pit Assist actually does? Also, in F1 2009, best sectors/laps were indicated in green, and being slower would be indicated in red. All I'm seeing is purple and red. What's that about? Is purple the fastest, or just provisionally the fastest?

Next, what's the best way to tune the car so I don't have to brake so hard in turns? I tried adjusting the suspension, and - assuming red means "off-pace," why is it I just go slower? Is it because I have TCS on full?

Lastly, I'm still a little new to the sport, so there are things I haven't quite figured out, yet. When - and where on the track - should I engage the DRS? I've watched F1 on Speed, here in the States, for a couple years, now, but they do a lousy job of explaining these things...

Kanejr00

Retired IGN Mod
Jun 17, 2004
USA
Bonemeal2pointOh said:
So, I got F1 2011 a couple days ago, but I've some questions. The most-recent Formula 1 game I'd played prior to F1 2011 was F1 2009 for PSP. In the PSP version, the crew chief gave instructions on how to improve performance. I don't seem to get that, here. I have "Pit Assist" on, but I don't notice anything different when it's on or off. Could someone please tell me what Pit Assist actually does?
Pit Assist only assists you in entering and exiting pit lane. I always keep Pit Assist off, because if you have it on then it just slows you down and you lose valuable time on the pit lane. If you want to be effective then learn and memorize every circuit's pit lane so you can improve your time and gain an edge.

Bonemeal2pointOh said:
Also, in F1 2009, best sectors/laps were indicated in green, and being slower would be indicated in red. All I'm seeing is purple and red. What's that about? Is purple the fastest, or just provisionally the fastest?
Green indicates that you're improving your time in that sector/lap. Purple indicates session best for the sector/lap. Red indicates you're losing time and you're off the pace from the leader. So red is bad, green is good and purple is best.

Bonemeal2pointOh said:
Next, what's the best way to tune the car so I don't have to brake so hard in turns? I tried adjusting the suspension, and - assuming red means "off-pace," why is it I just go slower? Is it because I have TCS on full?
I'd leave the default set ups alone as the given set ups are the best. Adjusting camber may help depending on your driving style, but keep tyre wear in mind when adjusting camber.

Bonemeal2pointOh said:
Lastly, I'm still a little new to the sport, so there are things I haven't quite figured out, yet. When - and where on the track - should I engage the DRS? I've watched F1 on Speed, here in the States, for a couple years, now, but they do a lousy job of explaining these things...
The DRS can be utilized anywhere on the track in Practice and Qualifying. As for the race, it's different. In the race some circuits have two DRS zones and others have just one. The DRS zones are located at the circuit's longest straight.

In order for you to use DRS in the race, you have to be within a certain amount of distance or time behind the car in front of you before you enter the DRS zone. The computer (stewards) will light up you DRS indicator for you in the DRS zone if you are close enough behind the car in front of you and it's up to you to utilize the DRS. However, once you exit the DRS zone then the DRS will be automatically disabled for you.

Bonemeal2pointOh

Sleep enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003
Mt. Perdition, Gallifrey
I have been practicing like mad, and I will say, I got the top time for the first practice session. (Playing in GP mode - whole season. Racing as Button.)

One thing I discovered is that it really is a good idea to look at the track details. At a cost of speed, I added more downforce, and it helped a lot! (I just used the engineer adjustments.) I did far more tuning in F1 2009 for PSP. The game had more user-friendly tuning abilities. Speed vs. Grip, Oversteer vs. Understeer, Acceleration vs. Top Speed, and others as sliders rather than having to know a lick or two about Formula 1.

I have to chuckle. Seems every time I come to IGN's F1 game board, the e-file ad with Dale Jr. appears. I would think it's intentional, as keywords like "race" or something trigger some ads.

On a side-note, it seems this board is quite vacant. I know there aren't too many American F1 fans, but I would imagine that, globally, Formula One is more popular than NASCAR purely for the reason it's going to reach a bigger audience simply being an international sport vs. a North American sport. I'm one of the off-beats; I like both sports. I'll be watching the Daytona 500 on Sunday, and in March, I will watch the Australian Grand Prix - even if live coverage is in the middle of the night in the US.

arranm16

Noob
Jun 7, 2011
mate, all i have to say is that you should adjust your set up to every race like for example abu dhabi so have less downforce compared to monaco where it should have everything on full, i tend to have a car that corners better than being the fastest because in the corners is where you make the time up... and your braking is improtant the only thing i dont like about this game is when your car is off balance one bit and you put the poweer down it flips your car round, facing the opposite direction, in carrer mode having to manage your tires and fuel is really interesting and fun but does get boring and stressful at times especially when you need to win that race on 'off' tires and you in third-.- haha