GoodClubHouseGuy

No Longer a Noob
Sep 29, 2014
Los Angeles
Owners of some of these small market teams are some of the evilest motherfuckas in sports. NCAA level corrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Owners of some of these small market teams are some of the evilest motherfuckas in sports. NCAA level corrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh, in the end, the large market owners are complicit as well. No one, not even the Steinbros, fought this one at all. Revenues have skyrocketed though and the players were completely okay with trivial luxury tax raises and SEVERE penalties for going over.

It's just odd. For decades the MLBPA was considered one of the strongest unions around, definately one of the strongest in all of sports, but this time they got taken out behind the woodshed and beaten like a rented mule. But I guess that's what happens when you replace professional negotiators like Marvin Miller and Donald Fehr with former ballplayers.

ThunderFist17

No Longer a Noob
Nov 16, 2011
Harlem
Correct me if i'm wrong here, but what's the basis of this?

It seems like they got what they wanted, no international draft, no more forfeiting first rounders for free agents. They only thing they really got fucked on was the luxury tax level not getting higher and the international bonus pool which I will give was a big concession, however it's not like they can't negotiate that in the round of negotiations.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Correct me if i'm wrong here, but what's the basis of this?

It seems like they got what they wanted, no international draft, no more forfeiting first rounders for free agents. They only thing they really got fucked on was the luxury tax level not getting higher and the international bonus pool which I will give was a big concession, however it's not like they can't negotiate that in the round of negotiations.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlbs-evolving-luxury-tax/

This.

When the NFL was in it's contract negotiations, they actually negotiate a percentage of revenue that the owners get and a percentage that the players get. MLB revenues have EXPLODED over the last 10 years and the luxury tax hasn't kept pace. What that means? The players keep taking home a smaller and smaller percentage of the money.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mlbpa-has-a-problem/

This CBA does nothing but exacerbate in two ways. The luxury tax didn't increase much but it also makes it FAR LESS likely that teams will go over the luxury tax.

In short, owners keep more and more money and players get less and less.

SportzStar

No Longer a Noob
Nov 13, 2011
How sad that the poor MLB player with the average salary of over $4 million isn't getting their fair share! When did Bernie get an IGN account?

"Players get less and less."

What if I told you that 50% of $1.4 billion is actually less than 38% of $9 billion? The players have seen nearly a 500% increase in actual money. Looking at it as a percentage is stupid.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
How sad that the poor MLB player with the average salary of over $4 million isn't getting their fair share! When did Bernie get an IGN account?

What if I told you that 50% of $1.4 billion is actually less than 38% of $9 billion? The players have seen nearly a 500% increase in actual money. Looking at it as a percentage is stupid.

This is what happens when you send people who don't understand things (like former baseball players) to the negotiating table.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
So those veteran salaries are catering under this new system and the Dodgers and Yankees have both slashed payroll.

Balcor13

Super Star
Oct 12, 2003
So those veteran salaries are catering under this new system and the Dodgers and Yankees have both slashed payroll.

But everything will be fine next year when multiple players sign $300m+ contracts

[face_silly][face_silly]

Last edited:

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006

damn this was good

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams

damn this was good
Hey, d'ya hear that the poor have 1080p tvs and microwaves now? WHY COMPLAIN?

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Another issue for the players union, the average age of a rookie has crept up to 24.5. That means the average player hit free agency for the first time after 30.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Another cold off-season hot stove.
Another year of MLBPA crying collusion but they players did this to themselves by setting up this system.

This next round of CBA negotiations is going to be brutal.

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I was a pleased to see Grandal and Moustakas get decent contracts after having to settle last year, but the non-tenders took those good feelings away. Maybe we’ll see something after the Winter Meetings ... but I’m not too hopeful.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006

Blessed to be reintroduced to this uniquely stupid post