sglas

Noob
Apr 2, 2015
Hello, my name is Summer Glassie and I am a doctoral student in the English Department at Old Dominion University. The link below leads to an open-ended questionnaire, with six/seven questions, hosted on SurveyMonkey that I will be using for a research project. SurveyMonkey’s secure server does not collect data on participants and is accessible to no one but myself, so all responses are and will remain anonymous. All responses will be deleted within SurveyMonkey once my project is completed. Completing the questionnaire is completely voluntary and you may withdraw at any time while taking the survey by simply closing their browser window, up until you hit the submit button.

Though the quote in the questionnaire's title is from inFamous, this particular survey centers specifically on Bioware's Dragon Age series and its Dragon Age Keep website. The questionnaire can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CW3VVQW

If you have any questions later on, please feel free to contact me at sglas009@odu.edu. If at any time you feel pressured to participate, or if you have any questions about your rights or this form, then you should call Dr. George Maihafer, the current IRB chair, at 757‑683‑4520; Robyn Bluhm, IRB committee member for Arts & Humanities, at 757-683-6705; or the Old Dominion University Office of Research, at 757‑683‑3460.

PROJECT TITLE: “I Was Afraid My Friend Would Go Down as an Unsung Hero”: Exploration of Discourse between Developers-Players in Digital Spaces and the Reshaping of Digital Game Narratives

DESCRIPTION OF THE STUDY

This project aims to explore the attitudes of the gaming community towards trends in game development where studios are designing digital games, especially the narratives, in such a way that links directly back to the players. While game developers have discussed in blogs and during interviews how they are taking players and player feedback into account as they design new games, there has been little conversation about players’ perceptions of and reactions to these new trends. To begin exploring how the gaming community understands and reacts to development strategies by game studios, the researcher will be asking members of gaming forums to respond to an open-ended questionnaire centered on two studios’ — Sucker Punch and Bioware — methods for engaging players in an attempt to create a dialogue between the industry and its consumers.