DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
It depends on how much I guess but it feels like there’s not much point. The games aren’t really here. I want a ps5 one day, I don’t currently own one. So it’s possible I end up with a Pro again.

I’d never buy more powerful Series X. Not when Starfield feels like a gen 8 game. Well it is a gen 8 game. I need more power for features that aren’t even there? And won’t be. That engine is obsolete.

This is Sony competing with PC. They have been ease dropping on me. And I bet I’m far from alone. Should I own two consoles this gen or just get a PC and say fuck it? We all know the smart call is PC. I’m too sentimental.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
So I buy a new phone every year. Do I need a new phone every year, no of course not but I've got an iPhone 15 pro. This September I'm getting an iPhone 16 pro because well it's nice and I can afford it but like mostly just it's nice. It takes the thing I like doing and makes it a little bit better.

I could one hundred percent see my wife and I deciding on getting one of these on that basis, it'll be a little bit nicer. Pricing and availability, and exactly how it affects certain games and so on and so forth.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I've been keeping an eye on this. There's no official release date, but the rumor is late 2014. I'm guessing they'd want this out in time for GTA 6 so they can market it as "the best place to play".

Maybe the base PS5 will only have 30fps modes, and you'll need the Pro to hit 60fps?

If both the base and Pro are capable of 60fps, or only 30fps, then I don't see the point. Higher resolutions and visual fidelity? Okay, that's fine... but I think the target demographic for a "Pro" system will care more about FPS.

If the base PS5 is still $499, how much is this thing gonna be? $599? $699?

The AI upscaling is interesting. If it's anything like DLSS, then it could be great.

Lots of questions to wait and see. Will Microsoft respond with a Series XYZ?

I haven't turned on my PS5 since I finished Spider-Man 2. There's not much reason for me to be interested in a Pro model. But if the upgrade is cheap enough and seems worthwhile, then maybe. I might be more interested in an upgraded Xbox, but then again, I already have an upgraded PC.

HotDoommaN

No Longer a Noob
Sep 14, 2004
Canada
I tend to buy every console for the collection. I certainly see me buying a PS5 Pro but I do feel we haven't really reached the lifespan of PS5. It's too soon imho. If the idea is to try to catch up with ray tracing advances they need to come up with something smart or I see them releasing updated variants every 2-3 years.

Also how can they talk about PS5 Pro when most games are also released on PS4 as well....

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
The original PS2 is my favorite looking console of all time. I have a lot of affection for the Dreamcast and its white color helps it from appearing decidedly retro. Which it is.

The PS2 is the best. The purple lettering looks awesome. I like the series X and it’s the only Xbox I like the look of. The OG is charming now, but still a minger. Ps3 is awful. PS4 Pro is meh. GameCube is alright. I kinda hate the switch. I just see a tablet now.

HotDoommaN

No Longer a Noob
Sep 14, 2004
Canada
The original PS2 is my favorite looking console of all time. I have a lot of affection for the Dreamcast and its white color helps it from appearing decidedly retro. Which it is.

The PS2 is the best. The purple lettering looks awesome. I like the series X and it’s the only Xbox I like the look of. The OG is charming now, but still a minger. Ps3 is awful. PS4 Pro is meh. GameCube is alright. I kinda hate the switch. I just see a tablet now.
Totally Agree with you. PS2 is my all-time favorite design and console in general, with Dreamcast coming second.
Third is certainly the Xbox X, which finally....looks like an actual box. Very minimalistic and no bullshit design. It was so popular they made an xbox x fridge out of it.

Also, an honorable mention goes to Nintendo for being the first calling a console to what it is. A Cube.

amtran

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 3, 2019
Troopa and I are pretty much on the same page: I get the love for the PS2 slim design (but a bit less so for the original, personally) and I have a bit of a soft spot for the N64. I dig the N64 because it looks like a serious toy. And at the end of the day, that's what we love: high-tech toys. I'll always love the cartridge experience for similar reason. There's just something about this piece of plastic you push into this fancy toy that feels so cool. I like top-loading optical drives (like the PS1 and the PS2 slim) for a similar reason; it's obviously not as tactile but it was just always part of this experience that made it feel like you playing with some serious piece of hardware.

Modern console design is so boring (so I sort of admire the outlandish design of the PS5, even if I don't personally like it myself). And kids these days would look at these thoughts and just go "whatever gramps" because back in my days things were better because it's my childhood and formative years instead of THEIR childhood and formative years because it was MINE!

HotDoommaN

No Longer a Noob
Sep 14, 2004
Canada
I like that Nintendo is still releasing their games in cartridges. I hope they never change. Also, I remember for the PS1 the CD's where black on the bottom side. That was quite cool back then. Too bad they took that away.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I like that Nintendo is still releasing their games in cartridges. I hope they never change. Also, I remember for the PS1 the CD's where black on the bottom side. That was quite cool back then. Too bad they took that away.
Those discs were cool. It also helped prevent copying, I think? Of course, people found ways around it.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
The PS5 Pro looks decidedly not worth it. When I get a PS5 I don’t think it will be a factor. Last gen I ended up with a PS4 Pro because it was on the shelf and I said fuck it. I doubt that will happen again.