IRMacGuyver

IR not supposed to be here
Jan 13, 2001
Got a few questions cause I'm just not sure about how things are gonna go for my first play through.

I went ahead and started on the impossible difficulty setting. Cause well if the other two Dead Space games are any indication the game isn't actually that scary unless the difficulty is ramped up. Then you really have to fear what's coming next.

I unlocked the planet cracker cause I have a Dead Space 2 save. The question is can I actually go ahead and use it or would that prevent me from obtaining a certain trophy? Is there a trophy specifically saying you finish the game on impossible without using the planet cracker? Or am I free to use it without worry?

This crafting nonsense seems really intimidating at first glance. I've never been a fan of having too many options for crafting weapons or leveling up. I'm sure there is a trophy for crafting every weapon but do I need to bother with it the first time through or should I just gather parts and wait till a later playthrough to really get into it? Very often when I play the other two games I end up just using the normal gun and the buzz saw gun. They're my favorite and they really fit my play style. The flame thrower was always good in a pinch when lots of tiny monsters were coming but that was pretty much it for my arsenal except of course the BFG.

Also should I worry about collecting the artifacts? Is there a good spoiler free guide to those? Or are they pretty easy to find and I shouldn't bother with a guide? I assume there's a trophy for this too but I haven't checked the trophies out yet.

IRMacGuyver

IR not supposed to be here
Jan 13, 2001
I went ahead and started on the impossible difficulty setting. Cause well if the other two Dead Space games are any indication the game isn't actually that scary unless the difficulty is ramped up. Then you really have to fear what's coming next.
Good luck. Impossible makes it so that if you die, you start the game over.
No that's hardcore mode. Impossible is just the regular hard difficulty. Hardcore didn't unlock until I finished the game once.

Also should I worry about collecting the artifacts? Is there a good spoiler free guide to those? Or are they pretty easy to find and I shouldn't bother with a guide? I assume there's a trophy for this too but I haven't checked the trophies out yet.
Between weapon parts and whatnot, there are like, over 200 collectibles.

Do it in a separate playthrough.
nah I was talking about the artifact collectibles that give you more story notes.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2015
Um. I don't know about how much of a super badass you are at these games, but I'm going to go ahead and assume you are MUCH better than I am. I beat the first two, enjoyed them a lot, but I hit a wall in the 3rd where I basically couldn't progress. See every time you die it remembers how far in the game you've gotten, but also what equipment you spent.

Example: So say you spend 3 medpacks of your 4 medpacks trying to survive a fight, and half your ammo, and die anyways, all that stuff is gone. Now you have 1 medpack left, and only half the ammo you had before, you have to beat that fight to progress so you use half of your remaining ammo and your last medpack trying to survive. You die. Now you have to beat this fight with no medpacks, and 1/4 of your original starting ammo, if you die you will have to attempt to beat it with no ammo and no healthpacks, and since you can't beat any of the enemies to death you are basically screwed.

Not bashing the game, just warning you about how inventory management is handled this game. The crafting is important since you can use it to create scrap, then use that scrap (various types) to create things like medpacks, and extra ammunition. So you can avoid the above scenario. Really the above shouldn't happen, but there are times that I found it particularly challenging, and found my resources drained. You may not have the same difficulty, but you will need to delve into the crafting to succeed.

I hope this was helpful.