LisaB1138

Older than most, smarter than the average bear
Apr 23, 2004
Check this out:
Capcom Cool on Street Fighter IV Movie
Plus: Capcom taking Marvel-like approach
3 Mar 2009

The latest Street Fighter movie - Legend of Chun-Li - would seem to be universally abhorred. But this doesn't matter to Capcom. Its representative, Chris Kramer, zeroes in on the reason: The money!

Kramer, who is Capcom USA's senior director of corporate communications, told Game Daily, "Critics were unkind to the first Street Fighter movie as well, but that film has been ridiculously profitable for Capcom over the last decade. The original SF movie still generates millions of dollars in royalties for Capcom every year, thanks to cable, foreign distribution, home video, DVD and Blu-ray sales."

He continued, "And Capcom would be receiving even more money if that had been a co-production deal!"

'Co-production deal?' we hear you ask. Yes, Capcom is apparently taking a more Marvel-like approach to the movies spinning out of its intellectual property, co-producing all the biggies.

This dovetails with what Capcom's 'head of character contents business', Toshihiro Tokumaru, said about the 'unfortunate' situation regarding the Resident Evil movie deals signed in the past.

We'll let Kramer explain: "Capcom is going to be much more heavily involved in our movies – Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is the first film to hit theaters that follows this model, which is why the Capcom logo has such prominent placement at the beginning of the movie. We also have Onimusha (wrapped shooting in Asia a few months ago), Clock Tower and Lost Planet movies in production, as well as a few other options floating around Hollywood."
[link=http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/capcom-dismisses-street-fighter-movie-reception-taking-marvellike-approach-to-hollywood/?biz=1]Source[/link]

HUH? [face_shock] Shooting has wrapped? What's up with that? And Takeshi isn't starring? [face_cry] That is unwelcome news.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Surely someone would have heard something about it prior to this if it really wrapped last month?

If Takeshi is not in it I probably shan't bother with it.

LisaB1138

Apr 23, 2004
That's what I'm thinking. Where's the production stills? The hype? Last I heard it was "on hold" which was not meant to be interpreted in a positive manner. Now shooting is done?

It just makes no sense. [face_confused]

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
LisaB1138 said:
That's what I'm thinking. Where's the production stills? The hype? Last I heard it was "on hold" which was not meant to be interpreted in a positive manner. Now shooting is done?

It just makes no sense. [face_confused]

It sounds as though they may have been misinformed or simply misheard what was being said. I have scoured the internet for information regarding the films so called completion, yet the only mention of the film is from this so-called news. They may have simply been scouting and this is merely wrapping up the pre-production and possible locations.

Still, a movie without Sam shall not be an Onimusha movie. Why use an actors likeness and voice talent and not capitalize upon it when a movie is made?[face_silly]

LisaB1138

Apr 23, 2004
Using my handy saved kana (yes, I'm that obsessed with Takeshi) I googled some info on Onimsha and Takeshi. Found a few articles discussing a reported 5 million dollar fee for Takeshi and some rumors it was filming in Hengdian, I switched to images and came up with this--in english no less:

ONIMUSHA Production Set to Begin Next Month at Hengdian World Studios (MonkeyPeaches Exclusive)
January 21, 2008

For many years, people have been talking about making Onimusha, popular Playstation game series into a feature film. Set in the 16th Century Japan, the stories of Onimusha the movie is about a young samurai hunting demons and saving a princess from the evil madman Nobunaga. So I guess Jean Reno who appears in the third installment of the series may not show up this time. Earlier last year news came out suggesting the production would be largely shot in China. Recently the Chinese press has further stated the filming location is Hengdian World Studios. Located at Zhejiang Provinces of eastern China, about 280 kilometers southwest of Shanghai, this over 815 acre private-owned studio contains full-scale buildings with architecture styles from almost every Chinese dynasty. Owner of the studios, Hengdian Group, is a major shareholder of Warner China Film HG Corp., a branch Warner Bros. set up in China. Every year dozens of movies and TV series are shot inside the studio complex and millions of tourists visit the studio hoping to bump into stars they might recognize. Some noticeable films being shot at the studios including The Emperor and the Assassin, Hero, Curse of the Golden Dragon, The Warlords and the upcoming The Forbidden Kingdom.

The reason behind shooting the movie in China instead of Japan is not clear but I would suspect the cost the prime reasons. A large number of non-unionized low-paid (in western standard) Chinese have been hired to fill the crew and cast. It is believed that a set representing the ancient Japan has been built, including a castle and a temple. The crew consisted with people from the US, China and Japan will start working at the studio next month. Shooting will start in April and wrap four months later. Takeshi Kaneshiro, who provided his face and voice for the game series is in series talk to ?eprise?his role with a payment reportedly no less than US$5 million. Honestly, I think there is no other choice.

The search also turned up this rather disturbing image. LOL
[image=http://img2.poco.cn/movie/mov_photo/060712/949135_152002_400.jpg]

StormOfDantess

Captain Bunny Killer
Sep 10, 2008
1st: Is it a foreign film? It said it was filmed in Japan, so is it going to be in Japanese?

2nd: If it's all wrapped up, WHY CAN'T I FIND INFO ON IT!?

3rd: If it has no Gogandantess, I will be somewhat disappointed. [face_mischief]

LisaB1138

Apr 23, 2004
Supposedly it filmed in China. I have no idea why there's no info on it out there. I trolled using kanji and came up with nada. I thought surely there's a blog or something that has info.

I don't think Gogandantess will make an appearance. But since we have NO INFO *glares at Capcom* who can say for sure.

I just want to know that Takeshi is in it. Without him, there's just no point. [face_cry]

StormOfDantess

Captain Bunny Killer
Sep 10, 2008
LisaB1138 said:
Supposedly it filmed in China. I have no idea why there's no info on it out there. I trolled using kanji and came up with nada. I thought surely there's a blog or something that has info.

I don't think Gogandantess will make an appearance. But since we have NO INFO *glares at Capcom* who can say for sure.

I just want to know that Takeshi is in it. Without him, there's just no point. [face_cry]

I know how you feel, I've been wanting to see Gogandantess slicing up the ogre clan forever, if they don't add that scene in, it will feel like wasted money.