rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
This thread is now officially officialized.

I love the Grandal signing by the White Sox. He boosts their offense and defense considerably, and, if his reputation is to be believed, he'll help out their young pitching, too.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster

chris martin/mark melancon/shane greene/will smith back end of bullpen sounds pretty solid

also braves jumping on the the weak reliever market

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
What fails to get mentioned is that about half of the said 42 proposed cut teams either struggle to get attendance to the numbers necessary to remain somewhat profitable and make payroll. What people forget (or choose to ignore) is that it's not always the Major club owning the minor league teams. Most of the time its local businessmen/women, whether they individually own the team or via joint ownership. While yes, a Major club could probably loan/supply funding to help maintain the minor clubs it's not always in the best interests of the Major owners; whether it's due to profitability, contracts, value, greed like Bernie thinks, etc. there's probably multiple factors in play that we might not be aware of.

I've seen MLB's side and they do make some valid points, but I've also see the points the 42 clubs plus fans have made. It's a lot more complex than it appears to be on the surface. And it sucks cause one of the 42 is the Spinners and that's how I got into baseball and I don't want to see it go. It's actually rather profitable but that could be due to UMass-Lowell helping to subsidize the cost. But this overall situation isn't black-and-white, there's a lot of gray in it.

In the Astros probable sign-stealing/cheating case, the Yankees notified the league about a light during Game 6

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
My hypothetical Hall of Fame ballot, in no particular order.

Derek Jeter
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Curt Schilling
Larry Walker
Scott Rolen
Andruw Jones

Jones and Rolen are just over the line for me.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
What fails to get mentioned is that about half of the said 42 proposed cut teams either struggle to get attendance to the numbers necessary to remain somewhat profitable and make payroll. What people forget (or choose to ignore) is that it's not always the Major club owning the minor league teams. Most of the time its local businessmen/women, whether they individually own the team or via joint ownership. While yes, a Major club could probably loan/supply funding to help maintain the minor clubs it's not always in the best interests of the Major owners; whether it's due to profitability, contracts, value, greed like Bernie thinks, etc. there's probably multiple factors in play that we might not be aware of.

I've seen MLB's side and they do make some valid points, but I've also see the points the 42 clubs plus fans have made. It's a lot more complex than it appears to be on the surface. And it sucks cause one of the 42 is the Spinners and that's how I got into baseball and I don't want to see it go. It's actually rather profitable but that could be due to UMass-Lowell helping to subsidize the cost. But this overall situation isn't black-and-white, there's a lot of gray in it.

In the Astros probable sign-stealing/cheating case, the Yankees notified the league about a light during Game 6

There's really no gray spots here. MLB doesn't want to pay for the operations of a developmental league and instead wants to offload those costs as much as possible. You can tell this is being done in bad faith from MLB's citing of the poor pay/working conditions of most minor-league players as a reason to cut over a thousand roster spots, which is hilarious considering MLB just spent the last year successfully lobbying Congress to exempt minor-leaguers from federal labor laws (including the minimum wage). Keep in mind the total payroll costs of a single MLB team's farm system (at least below AAA level) probably amounts to a rounding error for any one of the billionaires who own the franchise.

A lot of these minor-league teams have a right to be pissed because their parent teams would often strongarm them into extracting funding for facility upgrades from their respective cities. The litigation over this will be long, intense, and extremely costly for MLB, and in the end will do nothing but harm the longterm viability and interest in the sport.

Last edited:

Buffy_1997

Black Canarylicious
★ MOD
Jul 3, 2009
This thread is now officially officialized.

I love the Grandal signing by the White Sox. He boosts their offense and defense considerably, and, if his reputation is to be believed, he'll help out their young pitching, too.

Thoughts on the Brewers trade with the Padres?

Brewers got Eric Lauer and Luis Urias
Padres got Zach Davies and Trent Grisham

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Thoughts on the Brewers trade with the Padres?

Brewers got Eric Lauer and Luis Urias
Padres got Zach Davies and Trent Grisham
I think it’s a fantastic trade for the Brewers.

Urias has All-Star upside due to his plus plus hit tool and strong up the middle defense. He might not hit for power, but he has the tools to hit .300 with double digit dingers. I don’t know if he’s anything more than average at short, and that’s where he’ll play, but he can definitely handle it. And worst case scenario, he’s a stud at second.

The rest of the guys are kind of fungible to me. Davies had solid numbers, but I see him as a 4/5. Lauer is just a guy, maybe a 4/5 at his best. And Grisham is a fourth outfielder to me (though some are fairly high on him).

hbguy311

Stud Muffin
Sep 29, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
He's not worth even close to that but I'm glad it's over and the Angels dodged a bullet. Pure BS that he wanted to play close to his Newport home or whatever.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
He's not worth even close to that but I'm glad it's over and the Angels dodged a bullet. Pure BS that he wanted to play close to his Newport home or whatever.
*angels miss the playoffs with trout again*

hbguy311

Stud Muffin
Sep 29, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
*angels miss the playoffs with trout again*

The Angels need way more than just Cole to get back to the playoffs. With that absurd contract, there's no way they could afford another pitcher and a catcher. Cole got overpaid but the Yankees couldn't care less. They didn't win a WS for a whole decade and that had never happened before. Ownership is desperate and so let's see if Cole helps them win at least one in the 2020's.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
have the angels done anything to improve their team yet?

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
So does the luxury tax rate go up once a team goes under the rate to reset it?

Because it appears the Sox are close to trading Price and JBJ to get under the rate

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
So does the luxury tax rate go up once a team goes under the rate to reset it?

Because it appears the Sox are close to trading Price and JBJ to get under the rate
Your rate resets to the lowest level as long as you're under the CBT for one year. So, basically, having one year of "austerity" allows you to be taxed at the lowest rate the next time that you go over. And it seems like that's what a slew of should-be contenders are attempting to do right now, given that the Red Sox, Astros, and Cubs have all been rumored to be slashing payroll.

dab7291993

Super Star
Nov 19, 2006
The Kluber deal brought back a seemingly unimpressive return. Is Deshields an every day player even?

I get that Kluber is 34 coming off a major injury, but I thought we could get a quality position player in return.

When we inevitably trade Lindor, I hope it doesn't set us back 5 years

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

MVP_21Cubs

Star
Jul 23, 2004
Praying Bryant wins this grievance, ruins his trade value, and forces the Ricketts to keep him.

It'd probably just be for the year though. I'm all for the Ricketts being punished for this whole thing but in the scenario he wins and then walks free next summer for nothing would suck for us fans. Still might be worth it just to stick it to the owner though.

GoBlue32

Super Star
Feb 21, 2004
donaldson to the twins on a four year deal with an option for 5

you guys were supposed to roll over and die

*kicks rocks*

Sent from my Calcucorn using Tapatalk