flaproosta08

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 1, 2004
Has anyone had luck getting a better price from Comcast for Center Ice?

DirecTV is good about these things, just curious if Comcast is the same.

ZfanZ

Noob
Aug 24, 2006
Sharp3500 said:
Does anyone know how much NHL GameCenter Live costs? (the online service)
I got it for $159 last season.

Right now the price isn't listed. Should come up soon closer to the season.

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
Same here, $171.80 on DirecTv. I thought it was higher but I checked last years' bills and it was the same.

Edit: Two years ago it was 163.80.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
?! Things are more expensive now than they were in the past !? Someone get the Avengers on this!

It's $210.92 (earlybird price) on BellTV / ExpressVu this year, up from $199.00 last year, and I believe its price has gone up more years than not. This doesn't surprise me.

This is the first (non-lockout) year since ~2002 or so that I won't be getting it. Not so much as a matter of cost, so much as time availability. I probably actually watched less than 20 Devils games last year (in part because the team was especially unwatchable, but moreso because my night-owl toddler requires interactive attention in the evenings - not enough couch time to sit for sports as often as I could when he was an infant/fetus/concept).

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Seems like the cost of it is pretty plainly following inflation. Nothing shocking there. As long as the quality keeps improving, as it has been, I won't complain too much.

I'm just happy it's affordable, unlike NFL Sunday Ticket, which is just unusable here (yeah, switch to a satellite provider living at the mouth of a place called 'Hellgate Canyon'...that's a good idea), to say nothing of it being double the price I'd be willing to pay (around $330 for the season, I forget the exact price).

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
tmg.exe said:
?! Things are more expensive now than they were in the past !? Someone get the Avengers on this!

I'm not necessarily surprised by the increase, I find it to be worth it even if it costs more. It just makes my Satellite bill look sad for four months out of the year.

bryan09992002

Update=Fail.
Dec 3, 2002
I think GameCenter was around 160 for earlybird last season, I might get it again. Only thing that sucks for me and GC is being in Canada I have a 175GB bandwidth cap, so I have to take that into account when watching 1080p streams.

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Yeah, Center Ice is a bargain compared to the NFL Sunday Ticket, considering how many games you get. Plus, most of the games are on at the same time 1pm and 4pm eastern, so it's not like you can watch a ton of games live each week. Fortunately for me, I don't follow any specific NFL team so I don't care to see all the games.

With Center Ice, I get to see live games almost every night from October to April.

I need to call Cox this week and see if they'll actually put a few of the channels in HD this year.

Apr 28, 2001
I'm not well versed in NHL Centre ice. Does it allow you access to coverage both on your tv and your computer?

And in terms of data used for the streams, how much GB's of data does the streams use per game watched for streaming online? I'm interested, but I get 50GB/month so I'm curious if this will be too much added bandwidth.

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
bryan09992002 said:
I think GameCenter was around 160 for earlybird last season, I might get it again. Only thing that sucks for me and GC is being in Canada I have a 175GB bandwidth cap, so I have to take that into account when watching 1080p streams.
isnt centre ice useless for canadians since the games on tsn cbc and rds arent shown?

oh game centre might be different idk

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
thegreatone18 said:
I'm not well versed in NHL Centre ice. Does it allow you access to coverage both on your tv and your computer?

And in terms of data used for the streams, how much GB's of data does the streams use per game watched for streaming online? I'm interested, but I get 50GB/month so I'm curious if this will be too much added bandwidth.
Center Ice is through your Cable/Satellite provider.
The computer/mobile service is called NHL GameCenter Live.

They are separate entities that require separate subscriptions.

I can't answer the second question.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Oh Canada...GB limits...that's just an absurd policy.

Anyway, they are sperate policies, in the sense that you buy one and the other comes at a big discount...but they don't go together. You go cable or internet, basically.

I've been watching through GameCenter for all but one of the past 4 years and it's been great to me. By far the best of the sports options.

Mind you I don't have any caps on my internet.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
phantompenguin. said:
Anyway, they are sperate policies, in the sense that you buy one and the other comes at a big discount...but they don't go together. You go cable or internet, basically.

The year gamecenter launched, they offered a 50% discount to Center Ice subscribers (thru Bell, at least). The second year, the Bell package offered it as a free bonus, so if you had Center Ice you were entitled to Gamecenter. I never even bothered to sign up.

I haven't heard anything about if they're doing anything of the sort this year.

Shaggy614

Star
Apr 7, 2001
I've had Center Ice for the past 3 years now, and the price increase this year seems pretty typical. Still a solid deal. Even if you only watch your own team, it comes to like $2 per game. And I generally flip between 2-3 games per night. Here's hoping they further expand the HD offerings this year. They finally added a second HD channel for 2010-2011 but used it very sparingly. It went unused most nights and was just there taunting me as I suffered through blurry TSN or CBC feeds.

Game Center on NHL.com seemed pretty slick when I gave the free trial a whirl, but I have no desire to spend all my hockey watching time sitting in front of my computer.

flaproosta08

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 1, 2004
That is another reason I don't want to pay upwards of 200 for it.

HD feeds should be standard workings for these things.

billybobjoe1881

No Longer a Noob
Mar 19, 2006
BigRandal_ps3 said:
bryan09992002 said:
isnt centre ice useless for canadians since the games on tsn cbc and rds arent shown?
Not if your an avs fan.

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
billybobjoe1881 said:
BigRandal_ps3 said:
bryan09992002 said:
Not if your an avs fan.
well i meant if you're a fan of a canadian team

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
ilikemusicmore said:
l there be any free preview this year?

Free preview's already on on BellTV. Already seen (pieces of) a few preseason tilts.

BellTV has 7 HD channels this year. I think they only had 4 last year. Of course, last year there were frequently nights where there were idle HD channels while games that I know were broadcast in HD in their local markets were only available on Center Ice in SD, so I'm not sure what the benefit of more channels is if they don't fix their problem of not getting available HD feeds in the first place.

deity_of_death

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar
Sep 6, 2000
BigRandal_ps3 said:
billybobjoe1881 said:
BigRandal_ps3 said:
bryan09992002 said:
Not if your an avs fan.
well i meant if you're a fan of a canadian team

As a Sens fan living in the Toronto region and outside the Sens region, all regional Sens games are blacked out.

Sep 3, 2017
I bought subscription on ScreenVariety for a few dollars. I can highly recommend it for you guys if you are in work or just don't have around you.

nuckfan

37-13-9
Aug 10, 2005
Vancouver BC
I think there was a $20 discount if you purchased earlier, but that's about it. I buy it every year to watch on my desktop at work. I can't feasibly stream on my phone while I'm commuting due to data limits, but I try to at least catch the highlights or watch the goals. At home I'll boot up the PS4 to watch through that on TV. 50 GB/Month is definitely not enough if you watch regularly, but you can also decrease the quality of the stream to reduce data usage.

Jun 13, 2003
Don't pretty much every Rogers customer in Canada get Center Ice free included with their package? I know I have it because of my phone plan.

Edit- Ahh super old bumped thread explains all the weird information I read lolol

Last edited: