Kanejr00

Retired IGN Mod
Jun 17, 2004
USA
After watching hockey in the winter olympics, I got hooked on the sport. I started watching the NHL and bought my first hockey game - NHL 14, but I have a few questions about My Pro online. Thanks in advance.

1) How do you earn XP to boost your attributes? I've increased my rank to Pro 2 or something like that but find myself earning less XP for my 70 overall defenseman the more I rank up.

2) What is the best way to quick pass? I like to play defense so when I need to pass up the ice I have to hold down R2 to charge up a more powerful pass it takes awhile and the opponent poke checks the puck away.

3) Is there another way to take the puck away from an opponent other than body checking and poke checking? I like to body check, but that leaves the puck loose and most of the time another opponent recovers the loose puck.

4) Is there a better way to 'defend' the puck other than holding X? (PS3) Sometimes it doesn't really work, and with My Pro being a defenseman dekeing isn't reliable most of the time.

TDNY

Star
Oct 1, 2009
Old New York
After watching hockey in the winter olympics, I got hooked on the sport. I started watching the NHL and bought my first hockey game - NHL 14, but I have a few questions about My Pro online. Thanks in advance.

1) How do you earn XP to boost your attributes? I've increased my rank to Pro 2 or something like that but find myself earning less XP for my 70 overall defenseman the more I rank up.
You earn XP by ranking up

2) What is the best way to quick pass? I like to play defense so when I need to pass up the ice I have to hold down R2 to charge up a more powerful pass it takes awhile and the opponent poke checks the puck away.
R2, really is the quickest way, usually someone is near you so just pass it to closes one

3) Is there another way to take the puck away from an opponent other than body checking and poke checking? I like to body check, but that leaves the puck loose and most of the time another opponent recovers the loose puck.
Nope

4) Is there a better way to 'defend' the puck other than holding X? (PS3) Sometimes it doesn't really work, and with My Pro being a defenseman dekeing isn't reliable most of the time.
Pivoting works too

Last edited:

dquigley

titleless
Sep 20, 2003
1) You only get attributes when you level up, and leveling up in EASHL is a very slow process. Eventually you pretty much have to either get on a club team that wins most of it's games, or be so good you can carry teams in drop in games.

2) The charge up passing system is probably my biggest always returning frustration with this series. That said, if you are trying to stretch pass out of your defensive zone up ice, you can use R1 instead of R2. This button is for a saucer pass, which passes the puck through the air part of the way instead of sliding it on the ice the entire distance. The saucer pass also works by charging it up, but it travels further. So tapping R1 results in a pass that travels further than tapping R2. The saucer passes take a lot of practice to handle, and are still hard to control once you get a hang of it. If you hold R1 down for too long you *will* over shoot the player you're looking to pass to. Play around with it though, it's the only solution to quicker passing.

3) You can stick lift with X. This often results in a slashing penalty because either you miss the stick and hit the player, or you break the players stick. You basically have to be body to body and aligned perfectly for it to work, but if it does you'll bump the opposing players stick up and you can just grab the puck and skate in the other direction. Poke checks are usually the best bet online. The good players will dodge big hits every time.

4) I rarely use X to protect the puck myself. Most of the time you can stay fairly safe by making 45 degree cuts around players who are approaching you for a hit.