TerkDawn91091

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 30, 2008
Taken from Screen Rant :https://screenrant.com/resident-evil-2-remake-release-date/

Also keep in mind, this is just a rumor. However, the person who posted the rumor(on Reddit) has been known to be quite credible apparently. Still, take it all with a grain of salt.

"Resident Evil 2 celebrates its 20th anniversary on January 21st, and while fans were hoping there would be some kind of announcement regarding the Resident Evil 2 remake, Capcom has yet to reveal anything. However, a new rumor posted on 4chan (via GearNuke) suggests it will be released in late 2018, and some of the changes may upset purists of the original. For now, it’s important to take these rumors will a healthy dose of salt until Capcom reveals it."

"Apparently the Resident Evil 2 remake will be played via an over-the-shoulder perspective instead of the fixed camera angles of the original; Capcom is said to have experimented with both fixed angles and a first-person view, but these features were dropped. The focus will be on horror instead of action, while Raccoon City and its police station – where the majority of the game is set – have been vastly redesigned. The game will only have two campaigns instead of the original four, while the unlockable Hunk mission has been removed, but may find its way to DLC. The crocodile boss has been removed, while the Ada and Sherry missions have been expanded."

What do you all think?

D

Deleted member 119

Original poster
The 4chan rumor says "Capcom tried first person and fixed camera angles but it didn't work out."

So let me get this straight: They took a classic game known for having fixed camera angles, remade it and determined that fixed cameras didn't work out. And they also determined that first-person wouldn't work out, right after they put out a first-person RE game that almost everyone seems to agree is their best game in a while.

This would take an insane level of incompetence. Which makes this rumor almost certainly true. :^O

Jan 21, 2018
The 4chan rumor says "Capcom tried first person and fixed camera angles but it didn't work out."

So let me get this straight: They took a classic game known for having fixed camera angles, remade it and determined that fixed cameras didn't work out. And they also determined that first-person wouldn't work out, right after they put out a first-person RE game that almost everyone seems to agree is their best game in a while.

This would take an insane level of incompetence. Which makes this rumor almost certainly true. :^O

camera change that doesn't bother me but option should be allowed to have fixed camera

chris119

Star
Aug 20, 2000
Michigan
An OTS camera isn't a direct dealbeaker for me, but its concerning.

Bottom line is the game has to feel like RE2, so if it can be faithful to the spirit and essence of the game I can at least try it. If not, fuck it.

D

Deleted member 119

Original poster
An OTS camera isn't a direct dealbeaker for me, but its concerning.
That's the thing that concerns me most if this rumor is true. If they've redesigned the whole RPD and fixed camera "didn't work", that would point towards bigger open areas and enemies coming from all directions. If we lose the tight corridors, all the chess-piece keys and puzzles, it loses that essence of classic RE for me. It becomes Resident Evil 2: Revelaitons at that point.

Zombiedrd

No Longer a Noob
Jan 28, 2006
but muh croc

Think the HUNK part will be on disc but behind a paywall?

Capcom has done it before.

DarkBlood999

Moderately Disturbed
★ MOD
Aug 7, 2001
Washington
Why would they get rid of the crocodile? [face_tongue]

It seems weird that they would state the focus is on horror over action yet also say that fixed camera angles wouldn't work. With over the shoulder, they'd have to make the enemies more aggressive since one shot to the head of a zombie is a surefire kill every time.

I wouldn't call it a smart move to redesign the police station in any big way. It's almost as iconic as the Spencer mansion. Changing some stuff around or expanding on stuff would be fine, but it has to be easily recognizable.

Last edited:

mystery79

No longer a mod, and unable to edit your textz
May 23, 2003
Cleveland
What's the original source of these rumors? It sounds like someone was speculating and turned it into a story.

surprise1

A guy.
May 23, 2003
Just devils advocate. RE7 was in first person and initially was lumped into the FPS category by some skeptics. It obviously was not a traditional shooter and focused on horror. While I much prefer the static angles I do think any camera angle could work in a horror setting as long as the game mechanics are horror.

So while I tend to agree with your thought about OTS and head shots [URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/darkblood999.40/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/darkblood999.40/']@DarkBlood999[/URL][/URL]...they could easily put a twist on it and give you zero ammo and have hordes of zombies making players decide when and when not to shoot.

Again, all with a grain of salt of course and totally get that this is a heavy subject as it’s a remake.

Last edited:

chris119

Star
Aug 20, 2000
Michigan
Just devils advocate. RE7 was in first person and initially was lumped into the FPS category by some skeptics. It obviously was not a traditional shooter and focused on horror. While I much prefer the static angles I do think any camera angle could work in a horror setting as long as the game mechanics are horror.

So while I tend to agree with your thought about OTS and head shots [URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/darkblood999.40/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/darkblood999.40/']@DarkBlood999[/URL][/URL]...they could easily put a twist on it and give you zero ammo and have hordes of zombies making players decide when and when not to shoot.

Again, all with a grain of salt of course and totally get that this is a heavy subject as it’s a remake.

I agree, it could work. It has in the past like the remake of Fatal Frame 2.

The sticking point here is....its Capcom. They've yet to show that they can use the OtS camera for anything other than shooting enemies in the dome. OtS aiming was the crutch that carried RE4 much like co-op was in RE5 (not saying either game is bad, just that the game was blatantly designed around those particular ideas). Which makes the idea of the RE2 remake basically being an RE2-themed reskin of RE4 a nauseatingly plausible idea.

Last edited:

Castledan

No Longer a Noob
Jul 28, 2005
I have the upmost confidence in this game. RE7 proved to me that you don't need fixed cameras to make a game feel like classic RE and it also managed to modernize OLD RE ideas in new cool ways. A good example of that was using doors, in the old games you locked enemies out by entering a different door. In RE7 they made it so you can shut the door to prevent them from coming through but if you didn't shut the door they can still come.

In other words, I think Capcom knows what it's doing finally and if they take more risks with this it's not necessarily a bad thing, they might have a good vision that also happens to be bold not safe.

I have a goooood feeling about this. Also this game will be gorgeous with the new engine, drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited:

Castledan

No Longer a Noob
Jul 28, 2005

Hey.... I want to PM you about something but i can't see your profile. Can you message me on here?

ORIGINALJOECOOL

Don't F*** with the Original!
Nov 1, 2002
Capcom knows what it's doing

LOL not true at all I've never seen a company so devoid of common sense.

Castledan

No Longer a Noob
Jul 28, 2005
Capcom knows what it's doing

LOL not true at all I've never seen a company so devoid of common sense.
RE7 was very solid and managed to modernize the oldschool RE gameplay quite well. I invited you to my discord why haven't ya joined yet man! Everyone else is there. Lol