Tylerox9

Noob
Jun 11, 2010
As any diehard Gundam fan knows, there is a lot of contraversy behind Gundam Seed Destiny, in both the show and fanbase. Constant discussion of how good the show is, or how horrible it is. For the record, my own opinion says it is an average good show.

With that said, the biggest contraversy lies in the talk of the main characters, who we can all agree would be Kira, Athrun, and Shinn. This contraversy lies in the discussion of who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist. To get some people up to speed, Shinn begins as the shows protagonist, with Athrun by his side, and kira comes out of his retiremnt/depression to re-etner the battlefield, opposing Shinn. So that at first glance makes Kira the antagonist. then comes the Seed Destiny Episode 39, the turning point in which Kira is turned around to the protagonist as it isr evealed that ZAFT had villainous plans the entire time, despite the leader never actually lying about them. So now SHinn becomes the antagonist, and Athrun rejoins Kira's side,

Ok. This arguement will NEVER end.... But I am going to try and solve the mystery with some new theories. I mean in a show that greatly reveals Black and White thinking, we need to see shades of Gray.

Theory 1: Athrun Rises

Athrun is a huge part of Seed. Now, try this on. He was allied with Shinn, hell, he was his superior when Shinn was the protagonist. At that time, what ZAFt seemed like was the Good Guys right. But after ZAFt took too much power, and the great plans of peace they had turned out to be extreme, he saw the signs of the villainy and left ZAFT to join Kira. So... No matter who the protagonist was, Athrun was by his side... Athrun was always a hero... So, in hindsight, could Athrun be considered the protagonist? I mean, most of it seems to be in his point of view after all.

Theory 2: The POV Gambit
When you think about it, ZAFT's leader's Plan was always in villainous intentions. I dare not say evil, because though it is extreme, it would of created peace and a good haven. Just at a horrible cost. It's not like h was a good guy, than when ZAFT gained too much power, he decided to turn evil. His plans was always the same, even before we knew it. So in turn, ZAFT, and that means Shinn were always the antagonist, even if being herded to this path unknowingly. My point being, MAYBE during that time it was suppose to be the Point of View of the villains. Gundam is a show greatly known for each side of the war having valid reasons and hard to mark as the bad guys. In fact, it's a show where the bad guy is marked by the side opposing our protagonist.So again, perhaps ZAFT/Shinn were always the antagonists, but that beginning part of the show up to eps 39 was the antagonist POV on things.