DethMerc

Noob
Mar 7, 2013
Before this game came out, this was the first site i rushed to, as i usually trusted the opinions of the reviewers on this site (with the exception of one OTHER game, RE ORC, but thats a whole different story lol). Upon seeing that resident Sony worshipper Colin Moriaty was reviewing this game, i skipped passed the words to the number, so my experience wouldnt be soiled by such a huge conflict of interest. I was highly shocked to see the 4.7 score for a castlevania game, as i have always thought this game series to be of the highest caliber, even after the reboot.

I quickly checked his score against other scores around the web, and found that he was truly the only one that thought this game was awefully (out of the reviewers that matter). I played through the entire game before coming back to read the review he had vomitted forth. I honestly have to say i thought this game was amazing. As much as i wouldve liked more variety in enemies, i thouroghly enjoyed each little encounter, as each posed its on challenges. i found his comments on hitscan to be far off mark, as all my attacks registered (unless i was trying to hit the enemy just as it popped out of nowhere or with the very ass end of the whip). the issues he was whining about went almost completely unnoticed for the entire game. i thought the detailing was impressive, the combat was exciting, and i never felt like i was leaving one character too soon (plus they all control so similarly that it really doesnt even matter). i felt just fine using the circle pad as wel, and this is coming from someone who has played damn near every game in the series (with the exception of a few of the highly unneccessary SotN clones)
and i have to say it felt just as natural to me. i feel as if he was being to harsh and way too nitpicky with this game that he didnt review it fairly (for a number of reasons).

the main reason i went it to buy this game was for the story. this game is why i bought a 3ds in the first place. and i have to say i do not regret that decision. i personally think this game deserved atleast a 7.5.

what did you guys think?

azranoxx

Noob
Jul 31, 2010
I’m a longtime fan of Castlevania, starting with Aria of Sorrow and then Symphony of the Night (I’m not an older gamer) and I also loved Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I know both sides of the metroidvania style issue and I’d have to say that Colin is completely wrong that this merging of the two styles “ends up pleasing the sensibilities of neither camp.” Mirror of Fate is neither unfocused, or unfulfilling and is not “drab.”

This game is absolutely the farthest from “standard 3DS fare” in visuals. I have never seen a more well done use of 3D. Remember all those intricate multi-layer backgrounds painted into the metroidvania titles? That type of background returns but every single element is exactingly and lovingly placed into a proper distance (for example, parts of buildings in the background will be closer or farther away). The game looks physically real, like you could take the screenshot and build a physical sculpture of the entire thing. I don’t mean it doesn’t have art direction, it has that in spades (taken mostly from Lords of Shadow, with inspiration from Castlevania 3 apparently), just that the art direction is an unprecedented triumph. Sure there aren’t any of the weird Egyptian levels or outlandish chaos levels and things like that, but ever part of the castle feels like it should be there, looks great and has an intelligent design, like someone actually went out and built them for some purpose other than “so we can play through it and it’ll look cool.”

While the story is not perfectly delivered (I’m a writer, so I have somewhat unreasonable standards for story), it is also not a convoluted mass and honestly is presented better than a lot of the older Castlevanias. I cared about the characters and there were plenty of good moments in the story.

And, dramatically unlike Colin, I think the gameplay is where this game shines. There are not hit detection issues. I’ve played all the way through the game, and every hit I’ve taken was a fair hit and the only reason I ever took a hit was because I didn’t get out of the way or block. The only mechanical issue I found was that literally twice a glitch made an enemy’s model disappear. The foes are not uninteresting, the platforming is good and the bosses are wonderful. This game has the best two Dracula fights I have ever encountered and they are much more interesting and challenging than the bosses in Lords of Shadow. If you die, during a boss fight you are respawned at particular points in the fight (usually full, half, and sometimes quarter health but only for major bosses). Every single enemy and attack has a pattern with tells that players can learn, and combos learned later in the game deal substantial damage if used properly. Pulling this off reliably requires skill, even against normal enemies, and bosses are worse. Having started with the metroidvania style games, I’d have to say that I also absolutely love the Lords of Shadow combat style, and Mirror of Fate uses a very similar style adapted for sidescrolling. The leveling system just simplifies acquiring combos to use, and combos do more damage than straight attack attack attack. The main affect of the leveling system is that by the time you get to the last character, you feel really bad ass because that character starts his journey tearing small enemies to shreds with absolute ease and routinely destroys multiple copies of former mid-bosses [provided you’ve learned the skill to do so, which you should have by then].

The use of the circle pad is not an issue because the 3DS directional pad is too far away from the shoulder buttons to use properly while still retaining the ability to block and you’re only really using it to go left and right except while swimming (all of the characters can swim right away). Also, using sub-weapons finally gets its own button, so there’s not an issue with accidentally pressing up+Y like there is if you play a DS Castlevania on the 3DS.
In the end, I would not react so unfavorably to Colin Moriarty’s review if he had bothered to give it a fair review. Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate is not the amazing game that Castlevania Lords of Shadow was, but it is a good game. It improved the combat system from Lords of Shadow, added more enemies, some amazing and occasionally cinematic boss fights, retained the amazing visual style and had a decent story. My most conservative evaluation of Mirror of Fate is between a 7 and an 8 out of 10. This game should be highly recommended to fans of Lords of Shadow, and fans of Castlevania. People who like fighting games should get it too. If you’re not good at learning to use combo systems or dodging/blocking you might want to consider trying the demo before buying.

I found Colin’s review to be both unprofessional and highly damaging to a game that is at worst ok. I can respect the reviews that give it a seven. This game is not nearly broken enough to score under the games that are broken and receive a six.
-Azra Noxx

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2004
Totally agree. And this line from Azra Noxx sums my feelings quite succinctly: "I found Colin’s review to be both unprofessional and highly damaging to a game that is at worst ok." I couldn't agree more; as a senior IGN editor, Colin's review was irresponsible and very clearly NOT objective. My guess is that he sprinted through the game as fast as possible without slowing down to take in the incredible detail in the enemies and environments, the wonderful art direction, the music, or the better-than-adequate story. If I remember correctly, here were his main problems with the game:

- Circle pad-only control: the first time I had a problem with using the circle pad was when trying to use a certain item which requires a double-tap forward to activate. That's it, the one and only time I even realized it was a limitation. In fact, I preferred the circle pad because it let me slow down and just walk through the game, because--unlike Colin--I actually appreciated the insane amount of effort Mercury Steam must have devoted to crafting some of those set pieces.

- The story: ...seriously? It felt unfocused? When was that Colin? While you were mashing the Start button to skip through the dialogue? I admit it wasn't as coherent as a George R. R. Martin novel, but it added so much to the tragedy of Gabriel. I will also concede that the story would have seemed better told by re-ordering the latter two acts, but it seems clear that Mercury Steam's focus was on gameplay progression instead.

- Uninteresting environments: wow, just...wow. I personally found this to be the most shocking opinion in the entire review. From Colin's statement about the drab locales and his ridiculous assertion that this is the worst Castlevania since before Circle of the Moon, I can only infer that he believes that the anime-styled art (read: drivel) of Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin is better than the dark, gothic, and realistic environments seen in Mirror of Fate.

- Unrefined combat: ok, I'll give you that one. BUT, it's not game-breakingly bad like Colin claims. Yes, occasionally enemies will shrug off my attacks, but they do the same thing in Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and virtually every other game where a good challenge is part of the fun. And I honestly didn't encounter any instances of buggy hit detection.

I just cleared 100% on Normal difficulty and am about to give Hard mode a shot, so I've already spent more time with Mirror of Fate than its professional reviewer. Given that qualification, I would have awarded Mirror of Fate somewhere in the 7.5 - 8.0 range, or even higher if I were only to consider its lackluster 3DS peers. While I have nothing personal against Colin, I genuinely feel that this review in particular was irresponsible to both Mercury Steam and Castlevania fans, and it will only hurt Mercury Steam's chances at producing a solid follow-up. My only hope is that the forums light up with enough outrage to warrant some sort of response from the IGN staff on why such a damaging score was allowed to be published on a legitimately enjoyable game.

Sep 30, 2010
OP, wondering if you yourself are a longtime Castlevania fan/vet because IGN has a habit of penalising CV games for not being Sotn (*cough* LOS....)

I am a longtime CV fan (though I enjoyed the metroidvanias more) and wondering whether this game warrants purchasing a 3DS. OOE for the DS was my favourite, and I felt the linearity of the levels (with the options of going back to explore) as well as the comboing system and the difficulty levels (L1 hard cap) hit the nail on the head. I've finished L.1 mode with Shanoa and Im now almost done with Albus.

How does this stand up to its handheld predecessors in your opinion?

DethMerc

Noob
Mar 7, 2013
OP, wondering if you yourself are a longtime Castlevania fan/vet because IGN has a habit of penalising CV games for not being Sotn (*cough* LOS....)

I am a longtime CV fan (though I enjoyed the metroidvanias more) and wondering whether this game warrants purchasing a 3DS. OOE for the DS was my favourite, and I felt the linearity of the levels (with the options of going back to explore) as well as the comboing system and the difficulty levels (L1 hard cap) hit the nail on the head. I've finished L.1 mode with Shanoa and Im now almost done with Albus.

yeah, ive noticed that. i didnt like that they gave LoS a 7 point 5, but when that game came out people really were expecting something that felt a little more like castlevania and a little less like the genre castlevania helped spawn. (an interview with one of the people who made DMC should clear that up lol i forget who, or where exactly i read it, but he cites castlevania directly. ill try to find a link). But in all fairness this game wasnt the ONLY reason i bought a 3ds (thank you eshop lol), but it was the deciding factor. if a castlevania game released on the Vita tommorrow i guarantee i would be one of the first in line for it at gamestop. I went online and bought all the original castlevania games and n NES. i still play these games and to me they are the only games in the series that warrant a replay from me. Ive always tried to make it the games without taking damage or dying. not saying this is an impossible task, but it is damn close and something i managed to do on Super Castlevania 4 (the crown jewel) lol
as far as holding up to its handheld predeccessors, i say it stands fairly well. to me out of all the SotN clones the only one i ever went back through and played more than once through after completely exploring the game was harmony of dissonance. that game felt closer to what castlevania shoudve have been after Rondo of Blood . Granted it is probably the most massive rip off of SotN, it just felt good playing through the main game with a whip weilding Belmont. I love SotN, but it just never felt like the proper successor to Rondo of Blood. now i have played thourgh SotN a good number of times, but i could never actually categories these subsequent playthroughs as fun. they felt more like work then fun. Exploration has never been one of my favorite changes to the series. the originals (im excluding Castlevania 2 from this) managed to be challenging without having you search all over hells creation trying to find one to lead to another item to continue on. i would have played an rpg if i wanted to do these things lol the metroidvania style has grown on me over the years though, but only becuase the classic style was just abandoned. realistically i knew i would never see a game that held up to my ridiculously low standards as to what castlevania was (until harmony of dissonance anyways lol) and before i get asked, yes, i played harmony before going back and giving SotN the chance it deserved. i had seen the game played when i was a kid, but i just prefered my Super Castlevania 4 over SotN.

I know i didnt exactly answer your question, but instead choose to answer it on a broader scale. how did the game stand up to the series. In my opinion, it fares better than most of the SotN clones, and seems to do what i dont think SotN managed to do well enough. it managed to play differently and feel like a castlevania game. SoTN has been the gold standard for a long time, but i never thought metroidvania style was a good fit. But i feel this game manages to take the pure action and challenge of the first castelvanias, the mundane exploration the metroidvanias, and then new combat system and mesh it all together to form the true handheld successor to SotN. now i know it seems like im putting down the metroidvanias alot, but i view what konami did with the metroidvania style to be very on par with what activision has done with Call of Duty. for the most part, after SotN, i feel as if creativity had been choked off. i never it made it past the first area of aria of sorrow. it took me 3 years to pick the game up again and finally play through it once. i played Order of Eclessia once through, and found the combat system to be the innovative thing to come to castlevania in a while, but it still just felt like way to much of a rehash of its own predecessors to truly stand out and shine. this reason right is why feel SotN was successful. it was the same game over and over again. it was the start of the new era. it did everything well, it just didnt feel like a castlevania to me. so im done ranting now. but thats how i feel it stacks up against the older games. Challenging like the first castlevania, vast explration like the SotN games, and the melee style combat of the reboot all come together to make the best castlevania i have played in a while.

on an unrelated note, here is how i rate the top 5 castlevanias:

1. Super Castlevania IV
2. Symphony of the Night
3. Rondo of Blood (the PC engine version, not its SNES Dracula X counterpart)
4. Castlevania 1
5. Castlevnia III

now to be flamed by the internet lol

Nov 26, 2006
I've been a CV fan since the day that CV1 came out for NES (I'm old), and I enjoyed Mirror of Fate. I really thought that I would never enjoy another CV game after LoS came out because it just didn't feel like a CV game to me. My favorites have always been the handhelds, with Circle of the Moon being my #1 fav. Mirror of Fate kind of brought me back to the series, but I have to say that it was too short. I really was hoping for more content/unlockables than an extra cutscene and an extra difficulty mode. Older handheld titles took weeks for me to totally 100%, but Mirror of Fate took less than a week. I also felt like the exploration was easy since they led you to nearly every hidden item. I'm hoping that there's a lot more to this game that I haven't figured out yet. All in all, it was very fun, especially once the fighting gets insane on the harder difficulties.

azranoxx

Noob
Jul 31, 2010
I really was hoping for more content/unlockables than an extra cutscene and an extra difficulty mode. Older handheld titles took weeks for me to totally 100%, but Mirror of Fate took less than a week.

If you beat it on hard, it unlocks hardcore difficulty or some new difficulty level (I might have the name a little wrong.)

Sep 30, 2010

yeah, ive noticed that. i didnt like that they gave LoS a 7 point 5, but when that game came out people really were expecting something that felt a little more like castlevania and a little less like the genre castlevania helped spawn. (an interview with one of the people who made DMC should clear that up lol i forget who, or where exactly i read it, but he cites castlevania directly. ill try to find a link). But in all fairness this game wasnt the ONLY reason i bought a 3ds (thank you eshop lol), but it was the deciding factor. if a castlevania game released on the Vita tommorrow i guarantee i would be one of the first in line for it at gamestop. I went online and bought all the original castlevania games and n NES. i still play these games and to me they are the only games in the series that warrant a replay from me. Ive always tried to make it the games without taking damage or dying. not saying this is an impossible task, but it is damn close and something i managed to do on Super Castlevania 4 (the crown jewel) lol
as far as holding up to its handheld predeccessors, i say it stands fairly well. to me out of all the SotN clones the only one i ever went back through and played more than once through after completely exploring the game was harmony of dissonance. that game felt closer to what castlevania shoudve have been after Rondo of Blood . Granted it is probably the most massive rip off of SotN, it just felt good playing through the main game with a whip weilding Belmont. I love SotN, but it just never felt like the proper successor to Rondo of Blood. now i have played thourgh SotN a good number of times, but i could never actually categories these subsequent playthroughs as fun. they felt more like work then fun. Exploration has never been one of my favorite changes to the series. the originals (im excluding Castlevania 2 from this) managed to be challenging without having you search all over hells creation trying to find one to lead to another item to continue on. i would have played an rpg if i wanted to do these things lol the metroidvania style has grown on me over the years though, but only becuase the classic style was just abandoned. realistically i knew i would never see a game that held up to my ridiculously low standards as to what castlevania was (until harmony of dissonance anyways lol) and before i get asked, yes, i played harmony before going back and giving SotN the chance it deserved. i had seen the game played when i was a kid, but i just prefered my Super Castlevania 4 over SotN.

I know i didnt exactly answer your question, but instead choose to answer it on a broader scale. how did the game stand up to the series. In my opinion, it fares better than most of the SotN clones, and seems to do what i dont think SotN managed to do well enough. it managed to play differently and feel like a castlevania game. SoTN has been the gold standard for a long time, but i never thought metroidvania style was a good fit. But i feel this game manages to take the pure action and challenge of the first castelvanias, the mundane exploration the metroidvanias, and then new combat system and mesh it all together to form the true handheld successor to SotN. now i know it seems like im putting down the metroidvanias alot, but i view what konami did with the metroidvania style to be very on par with what activision has done with Call of Duty. for the most part, after SotN, i feel as if creativity had been choked off. i never it made it past the first area of aria of sorrow. it took me 3 years to pick the game up again and finally play through it once. i played Order of Eclessia once through, and found the combat system to be the innovative thing to come to castlevania in a while, but it still just felt like way to much of a rehash of its own predecessors to truly stand out and shine. this reason right is why feel SotN was successful. it was the same game over and over again. it was the start of the new era. it did everything well, it just didnt feel like a castlevania to me. so im done ranting now. but thats how i feel it stacks up against the older games. Challenging like the first castlevania, vast explration like the SotN games, and the melee style combat of the reboot all come together to make the best castlevania i have played in a while.

on an unrelated note, here is how i rate the top 5 castlevanias:

1. Super Castlevania IV
2. Symphony of the Night
3. Rondo of Blood (the PC engine version, not its SNES Dracula X counterpart)
4. Castlevania 1
5. Castlevnia III

now to be flamed by the internet lol

That's a really interesting take on how it pulls up alongside the Igavania style games.

I was thinking the other day that while I was playing MOF it was actually a lot of fun, but where I believe it fell short is that it was still hampered by what older entries did successfully.
Let me explain:

Pros
-Combat was solid (I appreciated that this game was whip based too)
-Level design was there (for the most part)
-Lots of platforming
-Brilliant 3d (some of the best on the 3ds)
-Trevor's portion of the game was brilliant (the entire game should have been Trevor {and not Alucard} imo)
-You can die quite easily (like classic Castlevania)

This is where the game is a let down for me:

Cons
-Subweapons were crap (although combat/whipping was well executed)
-Many Levels looked the same (Trevor's game was aesthetically the best)
-Music felt relentless, unvaried and jarring (especially compared with the variety found in previous games)
-Lack of enemies (dead corridors i.e. lack of having to keep moving like in older CV games)
-When fighting enemies barricades surround the player i.e. 9/10 you have to fight (slows down the feel of the game, direction of the camera and the pacing)
-Platforming was more like Prince of Persia (running, hanging, etc, no use for whip-jumping unless fighting enemies i.e. No medusa heads over spiked pits, no candlewhipping)
-Story was self explanatory but story telling was average (and Trevor becoming ALUCARD in name makes no sense, it would make more sense if he was just called Trevor)
-Camera was shaky/ poor (how do you stuff the camera on a 2.5d game?)
-Boss fights were underwhelming and contained checkpoints (Although the last bossfight was interesting and different but Dracula never transformed - oh well)
-The puzzles... Why? (they were terrible, the puzzles in the original LOS were so much better crafted)
-Story cutscenes including Belmont domestics were unattractive.
-The memento style story telling which added nothing beneficial other than leaving Trevor's game (the best) until last.
-Simon's portion of the game (which also never explained why the Combat Cross Replica has the power to defeat Dracula - who crushes the original combat cross with his bare hands - so we have to assume that its because of Gandolfi's alchemy in crafting it? I don't know and at this point..)

This was my issue, the game wasn't terrible, but I believe the cons heavily outweigh the pros here.
This is not a terrible game, I just believe it's the weakest entry into a strong series. I thought of it like Metroid Other M: Highly enjoyable but weak against its brethren.

One point I agree with you on is that HOD for the gba was a SOTN ripoff but really felt like the environments pushed the player through the game to have a sense of purpose in such a vast open Castle, rather than SOTN where you could choose to skip 2/3 of the castle even with the real ending.

Here's basically the way I believe the newer Igavania's have gone:

CV+Super Metoid= SOTN/Nocturne
SOTN evolves through COTM>HOD>AOS (introducing Soma; Soul system)
AOS is refined and tweaked through DOS (which also adds a whole new mode with a true alternate ending)
OOE which is an even more refined version of DOS (Glyph system) puts a classic spin back into the game with its Simon's quest-style environment(s) and higher difficulty of older CVs

The above was the natural evolution of the series, and I would have really liked to have seen where Iga could have taken it after OOE, where the artwork, difficulty, and innovation of the series were all corrected from previous entries. Sadly I don't think MOF was a smart entry into CV, imho Soul of Darkness for the DSIware is a more enjoyable game with a very simple but more succinct story.

My top 10 CVs go something like:

1) OOE
2) DOS
3) AOS
4) Adventure Rebirth
5) Dracula X/ Vampire's Kiss
6) Nocturne (yes, over SOTN)
7) Legacy of Darkness
8) Bloodlines
9) Simon's Quest
10) Rondo

Feb 21, 2011
So in all of the hype for LOS 2 I ended up buying the PS3 version of the game and I have to say, I honestly don't understand the overall hate that this game gets. It's by no means the best game ever but it is what it is. To me it feels like a cross between Metroidvania, Lords of Shadow, and a bit of the Original NES/SNES games all thrown together. I love the environments and the music, while not memorable like the earlier games, still fits the settings quite well. The voice acting at times is so bad it's funny but that's actually not a bad thing in my book (I'm looking at you Simon!). Overall, I can say that I enjoyed the game quite a bit.