JesseMB27

Noob
Jun 26, 2013
I'm not sure if this has already been done before, but being that it has been slow on the boards, I decided to review all nine of the Digimon movies.

1. Digimon Adventure (Pilot movie): Made and shown in theaters prior to the original debut of Adventure series, it was the first adaptation of the franchise in animated format. Though a simple film limited to two main characters, Tai and Kari, as well as a Botamon they encountered, it is a cute and short flick (but also including a climatic battle near its end) that did a good job of introducing the series. I give it a 8/10.

2. Our War Game: A favorite for many fans (and probably the only reason most fans watched "Digimon: The Movie"), this was an all around entertaining film as the heroes returned to action to stop Diaboromon from causing bringing about global chaos via the Net. Though not all the cast returned (it would have been nice to see the rest playing some sort of supporting roles in aiding Tai, Izzy, Matt, and T.K. and their respective partners), but nonetheless it was fun watching a no holds barred battle between the Digidestineds' Digimons against the chaos-loving Diaboromon (and yes, that was kind of a nod to Summer Wars made by the same director). Anyone who is a fan will especially love it. 9/10

3. Hurricane Touchdown: If there was any reason why "Digimon: The Movie" failed at the box office, it was because of tacking on this badly made film. It is simply a long, boring film of which the first half is wasted on Davis and Willis simply talking about things that are unrelated to the plot nor providing any sort of character development. The second half was simply dragged out for too long at several points. Sure, some of the fights were good, but that alone couldn't save it in my opinion. 5.5/10

4. Revenge of Diaboromon: The final film of the Adventure continuity, it is interesting to some extent but also pretty lackluster compared to Our War Game. While the premise of the new group of Digidestined having to combat Diaboromon, this time in the Human world, seems good on paper, but was bogged down by focusing on Davis and Ken running about Odaiba. Diaboromon, who was already a pretty flat character in the first place, was even less interesting in this sequel. This is not to say that this movie is bad, but it is certainly lacking to previous films (with the exception of Hurricane Touchdown). 7.5/10

I will finish up my reviews in a later post.

JesseMB27

Noob
Jun 26, 2013
5. Battle of Adventurers: One of my top three favorite films (along with Runaway Locomon and the aforementioned Our War Game), it is one of two films that take place in the Tamers continuity. While it is slow in the beginning (Or then at least the parts focusing on Takato anyway), but it proves to be an interesting, albeit also somewhat convolted (of which the Disney dub's bowdlerization contributes to this), plot by Nihilistic Mephistomon to reek havoc on the Human world for no other reason than destruction for its own sake. 8.5/10

6. Runaway Locomon: While this isn't exactly a grand adventure due to its simplicity, but it nonetheless is an enjoyable movie due to seeing every main character, even Yamaki, Impmon/Beelzemon, and Ryo, joining together. Like the Tamers series, it also had a psychological, introspective nature to it which particularly expanded upon Rika/Ruki's character. 8.5/10

7. Island of Lost Digimon: The only movie for the Frontier series. It is interesting in relation to the main series for focusing on a conflict that has raged between Human and Beast-type Digimon, which was part of Cherubimon's backstory, on a giant floating island. It also had a mystery aspect involved as the Digidestined were trying to figure out a way to resolve the war. 7.5/10

8. X-Evolution: A stand alone film (which remains to be dubbed into English as of this post) which focuses on the Digital World. While it is interesting at first, but also becomes fairly confusing by the end in regard to (SPOILER ALERT) what exactly Yggdrasil's plans, if any, were for the Digital World. (SPOILER END). It's worth watching at least once for its comparatively darker tone in comparison with the rest of the franchise as well as seeing some of the entertaining battles that are fought. 7/10

9. Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode: The only movie for the Savers/Data Squad series. It is interesting to see how the main Digimon must figure out a way to stop Argomon without the aid of their unconscious partners. The only gripe that could be made about it is how short it is (Lasting about twenty-two minutes). 8/10

VerdeICe

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 7, 2013
Runaway Locomon had a retarded plot but the psychological aspects and beelzemon made it watchable. Though beelzemon got about 2 min's of screen time and maybe 4 lines. IMPMON just ate the whole time. >_>

Favorite line: "Thats one callous caboose."

Your ratings for all of them are pretty accurate in my opinion.

JesseMB27

Noob
Jun 26, 2013
"Your ratings for all of them are pretty accurate in my opinion."

Glad you approve of my ratings, aside from Runaway Locomon/Runaway Digimon Express. I think my ratings are done in a fair manner in contrast to Nostalgia Critic's review of "Digimon: The Movie" which unjustly bashed the series and even anime in general based solely on that monstrosity. When he reviewed the Street Fighter movie, he never bashed the games themselves as being terrible by their association with the film. Though I should note in fairness that the real Doug Walker isn't as intolerant of fans of anime as his fictional author avatar is.

Now to get back on topic, I don't entirely understand what you mean by Runaway Locomon being "retarded". I will admit that I might have overrated it due to liking Tamers the most out of the anime series, but a simple plot is not the same as being a stupid plot.

Simple Plot: Pulp Fiction, Pacific Rim, Marvel Cinematic Universe films, just about any Disney animated feature.
Stupid Plot: Batman and Robin (1997), Signs (2003)... Basically just about everything NC and Linkara have ever reviewed.