Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
I know, I know. Mario Kart 7 just came out, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. But every time a game like this comes out, it makes me think, what will they do next? So I figured instead of having all of these ideas floating around in my head, I may as well somewhat organize them, and post them here.

Personally, I’d like to see Mario Kart WiiU take the same path as Mario Kart DS. Instead of trying to implement something new, like Mario Kart Wii and 7 did with bikes and air gliders, among other things, Mario Kart WiiU should take the best elements from each Mario Kart game and perfect them, adding a few new features here and there. My idea for the game would be something like this:

Characters
Instead of going with the usual weight class system, Mario Kart WiiU makes a return to the size class system used in Mario Kart Wii. With a more advanced size class system, taller characters like Peach get different karts than shorter, yet also average characters like Mario. The six sizes classes featured in Mario Kart WiiU, and the characters within them are:

Tiny
1. Baby Mario
2. Baby Luigi
3. Baby Peach
4. Baby Yoshi
5. Shy Guy

Small
6. Toad
7. Toadette
8. Koopa Troopa
9. Dry Bones
10. E. Gadd

Light
11. Diddy Kong
12. Dixie Kong
13. Bowser Jr.
14. Hammer Bro
15. Magikoopa

Medium
16. Mario
17. Luigi
18. Yoshi
19. Birdo
20. Cranky Kong

Tall
21. Peach
22. Daisy
23. Rosalina
24. Wario
25. Waluigi

Large
26. Donkey Kong
27. Wiggler
28. Petey Piranha
29. King Boo
30. Bowser

Tracks
Instead of the usual 32 tracks offered by recent Mario Kart games, Mario Kart WiiU would offer 40 tracks: 20 new and 20 retro. These are some of my ideas for the new courses:

Mushroom Cup
1. Luigi Circuit
2. Flower Fields
3. Birdo Beach
4. Spooky Woods

Flower Cup
5. Daisy Desert
6. Chilly Village
7. Mario Circuit
8. Waluigi Billiards

Star Cup
9. Yoshi Park
10. Peach’s Castle
11. Diddy Falls
12. Mute City

Shine Cup
13. Baby Circuit
14. Mushroom Airport
15. Shy Guy Express
16. Monty Mole Mines

Special Cup
17. King Boo Carnival
18. Hectic Highway
19. Bowser’s Castle
20. Rainbow Road

Shell Cup
1. DS Figure-8 Circuit
2. 3DS Cheep-Cheep Lagoon
3. GBA Riverside Park
4. GCN Dry Dry Desert

Banana Cup
5. Wii Toad’s Factory
6. SNES Bowser Castle 2
7. N64 Royal Raceway
8. 3DS Rock Rock Mountain

Coin Cup
9. Wii DK Summit
10. GCN Mushroom City
11. DS Tick-Tock Clock
12. GBA Ribbon Road

Leaf Cup
13. 3DS Piranha Plant Slide
14. N64 Yoshi Valley
15. SNES Mario Circuit 4
16. Wii Grumble Volcano

Lightning Cup
17. DS Wario Stadium
18. 3DS DK Jungle
19. GCN Bowser’s Castle
20. N64 Rainbow Road

Items
Mario Kart WiiU introduces 3 new standard items for players to use, and also brings back two classic items: Boo and Fake Item Box. The full list is as follows:

1. Banana
2. Triple Banana
3. Green Shell
4. Triple Green Shell
5. Red Shell
6. Triple Red Shell
7. Blue Shell
8. Mushroom
9. Triple Mushroom
10. Golden Mushroom
11. Star
12. Lightning
13. Fake Item Box
14. Boo
15. Bob-Omb
16. Blooper
17. Bullet Bill
18. Super Leaf
19. Freezie
20. Poison Mushroom
21. Magnet

The Freezie is an item that, when thrown, moves like a green shell, but shatters as soon as it hits a wall. Since it’s bigger than a green shell, it’s easier to hit opponents with it. As soon as it hits someone, they become frozen for a second, just like karts that hit the giant Freezies in Double Dash’s Sherbet Land. The poison mushroom is an item that is tossed or placed behind like a banana. When someone touches this item, they shrink for just about as long as a thundercloud-caused shrink in Mario Kart Wii. The magnet rotates around its user’s kart, collecting nearby coins. If an opponent is nearby, the magnet helps draw you closer to them.

Returning from Mario Kart Double Dash are special items. In Mario Kart WiiU, each character has their own special item. There are nine special items in total:

1. Fire Flower (Mario, Luigi, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi)
2. Heart Shield (Peach, Daisy, Baby Peach)
3. Yoshi Egg (Yoshi, Birdo, Baby Yoshi)
4. POW Block (Koopa, Shy Guy, Hammer Bro)
5. Mega Mushroom (Toad, Toadette, Wiggler)
6. Lucky 7 (Shy Guy, Rosalina, E. Gadd)
7. Giant Banana (DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky)
8. Bowser Shell (Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Magikoopa)
9. Big Bob-omb (Wario, Waluigi, King Boo, Petey Piranha)

Fire Flower works just as did in Mario Kart 7, but fireballs are more powerful, doing the same damage as a Koopa shell. Heart Shield and Yoshi Egg work just as they did in Double Dash. POW Block is unavoidable now that it’s a special item, causing it to be more effective. Mega Mushroom lasts longer than it did in Mario Kart Wii, also to increase its effectiveness. Lucky 7, Giant Banana, and Bowser Shell work just as they did in their original games. Last, the Big Bob-omb works just like a regular Bob-omb, but has a much larger blast radius.

Battle Mode

The same two battle modes seen in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 are included in Mario Kart WiiU. This time around, however, they are much more customizable. Balloon Battle, for example, can be adjusted to work as it did in older Mario Kart games, with players losing the match as soon as their last balloon pops. It could also be adjusted to be based on a point system, as seen in the newer games. Coin Runners can also be adjusted to have all coins on the course at once, or to have just one coin out at a time, making it similar to the Shine Runners mode from Double Dash. Items and number of players can be adjusted for both of these battle modes. There are ten battle courses to choose from in Mario Kart WiiU:

1. Nintendo WiiU
2. Block Castle
3. Peach’s Cake
4. Dry Dry Outpost
5. Freezeflame Field

6. SNES Battle Course 1
7. N64 Double Deck
8. GCN Tilt-A-Kart
9. Wii Funky Stadium
10. 3DS Honeybee Hive

Gameplay & Other Features

The air gliding and underwater segments introduced in Mario Kart 7 reappear in Mario Kart WiiU. The driving aspect itself, however, is quite similar to Mario Kart Wii. Drifting returns to how it was in that game, as the slightly altered method of drifting introduced in Mario Kart 7 made snaking, while not as effective as it was in DS, possible to do in MK7. Also returning from Mario Kart Wii are tricks. Both the ramp tricks seen in Wii and MK7 as well as the halfpipe tricks exclusive to Wii return in WiiU.

Another new feature is, of course, the use of the WiiU controller. The screen on the tablet-like controller shows a birds-eye view of the map, similar to the bottom screen of Mario Kart DS and 7, that shows other racers and their items. This screen also works as a rear-view mirror for the player, who can quickly move the controller around to see what’s behind them from multiple angles.

Another first for Mario Kart is the ability to pick the number of characters in a race. I’ve noticed some people prefer having eight racers as it leads to more balanced gameplay, while others prefer the slightly more chaotic twelve-player races seen in Mario Kart Wii. To appeal to both kinds of fans, there’d be 3 different amounts of racers seen during Grand Prix mode. 50cc would have 8 racers, 100cc would have 10, and 150cc would have 12. With Mirror Mode, the player is allowed to pick to have 8, 10, or 12 racers.

Mario Kart WiiU would have more single player options than just Grand Prix and Time Trials. Vs. Mode would be available for single player mode once again, and Mission Mode would return from Mario Kart DS.

Another lost element from Mario Kart DS I would bring back is the ability to make your own custom Kart emblem. With WiiU’s large touch screen, players could sketch whatever they’d like their emblem to be.

Lastly, kart customization from Mario Kart 7 would make a return in Mario Kart WiiU. This time, much like the karts and bikes in Mario Kart Wii, the kart bodies are based on size class. Each size class has 8 kart bodies to choose from: four new karts and four karts from previous Mario Kart games. Two of these 8 kart bodies, no matter which size class the player chooses, are the Standard Kart and the Classic Kart. The Classic Kart is the kart used in Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, and Super Circuit, also known as the Pipe Frame kart from Mario Kart 7. This is essentially the retro counterpart of the Standard Kart.

Aside from the Standard Kart and Classic Kart, each size class has six other kart bodies to choose from.

Tiny
1. Turbo Crib
2. Choo-Choo
3. Mystery Mask
4. Goo Goo Buggy (GCN)
5. Shooting Star (DS)
6. Cheep Charger (Wii)

Small
1. Shroom Cruiser
2. Dry Dasher
3. Mini-Copter
4. Tiny Titan (Wii)
5. Koopa Dasher (GCN)
6. Poltergust 4000 (DS)

Light
1. Banana Wagon
2. Spellcaster
3. Boomerang Plane
4. Rambi Rider (DS)
5. Bullet Blaster (GCN)
6. Koopa Clown (3DS)

Medium
1. L-Dasher
2. Egg 2
3. Ribbon Runner
4. Red Fire (GCN)
5. Wild Wing (Wii)
6. Bolt Buggy (3DS)

Tall
1. Luxury Limo
2. W-Racer
3. Starry Sky
4. Royal Racer (Wii)
5. Birthday Girl (3DS)
6. Brute (DS)

Large
1. Pipe-Kart
2. Wiggler Bus
3. Mecha-Koopa
4. DK Jumbo (GCN)
5. Tyrant (DS)
6. Bruiser (3DS)

Just like in Mario Kart 7, the player can customize the wheels and air gliders they use. Some of the wheels and gliders featured in that game return in Mario Kart WiiU, alongside new ones.

Wheels
1. Standard
2. Monster
3. Tiny
4. Mushroom
5. Slim
6. Sponge
7. Wood
8. Carriage
9. Shell
10. Spiked
11. Springy
12. Thick

Gliders
1. Standard Glider
2. Peach Parasol
3. Flower Glider
4. Swooper
5. Propeller Box
6. Cloud
7. Stork
8. Ribbon
9. Beast Glider
10. Super Cape

Well that’s what I think Mario Kart WiiU should be like. What do you guys think? Any retro tracks you would’ve picked that I didn’t? Let me know what you think, and come up with some of your own ideas too!

jwoody1234

Noob
Dec 8, 2011
Totally SWEET! But change Rock Rock Mountain for Wario Shipyard. Still that would be an awesome Mario Kart!

Oct 26, 2006
Take out Cranky Kong and Baby Yoshi and put in Funky Kong and Baby Daisy instead and I'm all good for it!
Also add in a Tournament/Mission Mode, including boss battles.
Edit: Oh and put in Luigi's Mansion (GCN) instead of Tilt-A-Kart too!

Looks amazing though!

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
ShyGuy_Pal_101 said:
Take out Cranky Kong and Baby Yoshi and put in Funky Kong and Baby Daisy instead and I'm all good for it!
Also add in a Tournament/Mission Mode, including boss battles.
Edit: Oh and put in Luigi's Mansion (GCN) instead of Tilt-A-Kart too!

Looks amazing though!
Well, I wanted to introduce a few new characters to the series. Without those two, there would only be four new characters, which isn't really enough for such a large roster. As much as I love Funky Kong, there's no room for him now in the new size class system I made. Cranky works perfectly since I needed a fifth character who was the same size as Mario and Yoshi. Not to mention it's interesting to see a Kong who's bigger than Diddy but smaller than DK. As for Baby Daisy, she was a throw-away character, in my opinion. She was an easy character to make- a slightly modified Baby Peach who's never been in any other Mario game. I opted to include Baby Yoshi instead since he could be the third character to use the Yoshi Egg special item along with Yoshi and Birdo. Not to mention he's been in several other games, unlike Baby Daisy, including Yoshi's Story and the ending of Yoshi's Island DS.
As for battle courses, I decided that for Double Dash, it would have to be Luigi's Mansion or Tilt-A-Kart, since Pipe Plaza and Cookie Land have already been brought back in previous games, and since Block City and Gamecube would be too similar to the new Block Castle and WiiU battle courses. If Luigi's Mansion is more popular than Tilt-A-Kart, then yeah, I would include that course instead.

jwoody1234 said:
Totally SWEET! But change Rock Rock Mountain for Wario Shipyard. Still that would be an awesome Mario Kart!
I had the toughest time picking 3DS courses since Mario Kart 7 is the only Mario Kart game now with all 16 courses available to be brought back in the next game. I decided that Cheep Cheep Lagoon was necessary since there were no other beach courses to bring back, aside from DS's dreadfully boring Cheep Cheep Beach. It also makes good use of the underwater gameplay introduced in Mario Kart 7. So when picking the other three tracks, I wanted a good amount of either air gliding segments or underwater segments, since those are harder to implement in other tracks from previous Mario Karts. That's why I chose Rock Rock Mountain over Music Park for the second 3DS track, since it has far more air gliding segments, and is a pretty popular new course. I had a tougher time picking the last two courses, however. Piranha Plant Slide and Wario Shipyard both make an excellent third course since they both feature underwater segments and air gliding segments as well, but I decided to go for Piranha Plant Slide since I had already brought back another Wario-themed course. As for the last course, I decided to pick one of the four course Retro Studios made for Mario Kart 7 (those four tracks, by the way, are Shy Guy Bazaar, Neo Bowser City, DK Jungle and Rosalina's Ice World). Since I already had one track from the Mushroom Cup, one track from the Flower Cup, and one track from the Star Cup, I decided to pick one of the two tracks Retro Studios made for the Special Cup. It was a tough choice though, since I had already brought back a jungle course (Riverside Park), and a snow course (DK Summit). I picked DK Jungle simply because I believe it to be the more popular course. What do you guys think, though? Would you prefer to see Rosalina's Ice World return instead of DK Jungle?

nhkawaguchi said:
thats pretty awesome.
but would your blue shell be flying or on the floor?
I personally prefer rock rock mountain. =]
Ah, I knew I forgot something! I would choose the flying blue spiny shell because between the 20 other standard items and the characters' special items, the race track is already going to be pretty chaotic at times, so I'd let the blue shell fly over other racers and hit only the player in first- in anyone in the nearby blast radius. Also, one thing I noticed about the blue shell in 3DS is that the person can first can back up quickly after the blue shell is sent, leaving the person formerly in 2nd to get hit instead. I don't know about you guys, but I think that's kinda unfair, so I'd have the blue shell target whoever was in first the moment it's sent out. How do you guys think the blue shell should function?

Oct 26, 2006
About the Blue Shell thing, I like it when it's on the ground. I notice that it hurts the other racers too, so it doesn't just hurt the one in first. That way the ones in third and second could suffer too. I like that aspect, since I've had a few races where I'm in first and get hit with it on the last few sections of the track, letting the racer behind win.

Edit: Also I see what you mean now about those two character choices! Haha now that I think about it, it would be awesome to drive as Cranky Kong, especially if he pulls out his cane and waggles it when he gets hit or something!

Mr-Chris

Smashing!
May 16, 2009
Corneria (England :P)
Bravo sir, bravo [face_applause]

I actually think this is actually a perfect game, and of course you can only say the name of the new courses and not actually show them. Unless you were raelly bored and had a lotta time on your hands or something. But yeah, pretty much perfect, well done! =D

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Oh, another thing I forgot to mention is how each character should have an alternate costume, which could be bought alongside wheels and gliders at the in-game Mario Kart store. These would be the alternate colors for each character:
1. Baby Mario (Diaper)
2. Baby Luigi (Diaper)
3. Baby Peach (original outfit from Partners in Time and Yoshi's Island DS)
4. Baby Yoshi (Light Blue)
5. Shy Guy (Blue Snifit)
6. Toad (Tanooki Suit)
7. Toadette (Propeller Suit)
8. E. Gadd (Young E. Gadd)
9. Koopa Troopa (Red shell)
10. Dry Bones (Dark Bones)
11. Diddy Kong (Super Diddy (http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/TPitcher/Super%20Smash%20Bros%20Brawl/Snapshots/Hacked/Diddy-3-01.jpg))
12. Dixie Kong (yellow shirt/berret)
13. Bowser Jr. (Dry Bowser Jr.)
14. Hammer Bro (Blue Boomerang Bro)
15. Magikoopa (purple (same colors as Kamella)
16. Mario (Fire Mario)
17. Luigi (Fire Luigi)
18. Yoshi (Blue)
19. Birdo (Red)
20. Cranky Kong (Green shirt from DKC2)
21. Peach (biker outfit)
22. Daisy (biker outfit)
23. Rosalina (biker outfit)
24. Wario (WarioWare outfit)
25. Waluigi (outfit similar to Wario's WarioWare outfit)
26. Donkey Kong (Super Kong (http://images.wikia.com/donkeykong/images/1/1a/180px-SuperKong.png))
27. Wiggler (same colors as the green Wiggler from Sunshine)
28. Petey Piranha (same colors as Fiery Dino Piranha)
29. King Boo (Luigi's Mansion appearance)
30. Bowser (Dry Bowser)

ShyGuy_Pal_101 said:
About the Blue Shell thing, I like it when it's on the ground. I notice that it hurts the other racers too, so it doesn't just hurt the one in first. That way the ones in third and second could suffer too. I like that aspect, since I've had a few races where I'm in first and get hit with it on the last few sections of the track, letting the racer behind win.

Edit: Also I see what you mean now about those two character choices! Haha now that I think about it, it would be awesome to drive as Cranky Kong, especially if he pulls out his cane and waggles it when he gets hit or something!
Right, and that makes sense, but won't it be unfair for those in 4th-7th place, already dealing with avoiding triple red shells, bullet bills, characters' special items, etc? Unless it flies over those racers and goes on the ground once it approaches the top 3 racers?

Mr-Chris said:
Bravo sir, bravo [face_applause]

I actually think this is actually a perfect game, and of course you can only say the name of the new courses and not actually show them. Unless you were raelly bored and had a lotta time on your hands or something. But yeah, pretty much perfect, well done! =D
Thank you! I don't exactly have the time to draw the track layouts or anything, but I do have a general idea for each track I thought of. Maybe I should post track descriptions next time?

CAT_MARK_1

No Longer a Noob
Jan 31, 2004
I was disappointed there was no stat tracking like there was in Mario Kart Wii. For instance the number of races you have raced, the number of item hits you have delivered etc. With the inclusion of coins, and how a set number is needed to unlock certain items, I figured at least you could see how many coins you had collected. (If you can see this, I haven't found it yet. And I understand it is a handheld game, and there are limitations).

Also, I miss the option that was both available in the DS and Wii versions where you could basically create your own GP, set a desired number of races, and pick the tracks. Or, as I loved to do, set the track order to random.

As far as the blue shell goes, I liked how they went back to how it was in the N64 version, where it goes along the ground and takes out anyone in the middle of the track.

On that note, I loved reading your original post OP. "Waluigi Billiards" haha, I can only imagine what that would be like. And I loved the idea of choosing how many characters are in each race. I myself was the fan of the twelve in the Wii version, but being able to change things up would be great.

Edit: After doing a little research, I have come to find out that "Vs Mode", allowing you to alter different race settings, is available in local multiplayer etc, just not single player. Still very disappointing to me it is not a single player option.

jwoody1234

Noob
Dec 8, 2011
The alternative costume idea is fantastic!!! Also I like that you brought back highway/ city courses! I wasn't happy seeing mario kart 7 not having a course with cars in it...

___rioN99

Noob
Dec 10, 2011
Nice, you've put a lot of thought into this.

I thought about alternative costumes too after the issue of Mario / Metal Mario being a straight pallette swap. I would however have Mario's alternate be Metal or Cosmic Mario, but Fire flower Mario is also cool! Oh and Luigi's alternate costume is Mr. L for definite.

I like the inclusion of E. Gadd, Birdo, Hammer Bro and Magikoopa. Would like to see Lakitu make a return and although I don't play as her I think Rosalina warrants a spot. Not sure about having all the Kongs, this is a Mario game after all not a DK one, pretty sure most of them (bar DK / DK Jr. / Diddy) have never really appeared in Mario franchise games.

On the issue of characters, you've got a good selection there. The only problem I have is the inclusion of baby characters, they were an okay gimmick but I've gotten pretty sick of them lately. First Baby Mario and Luigi, then Daisy and Peach. What next? Baby DK, Baby Boo, Baby Shigeru Miyamoto, Baby Jesus... If I'm playing a GP I want to play against one Mario, not Mario + Baby Mario + Metal Mario + 70s Rocker Mario. Talk about a publicity whore.

The items in MK 7 were good, minus my all time hated blue shell. Don't think there should be an unavoidable item to punish the best racer. A freezie / ice flower is a cool idea and would work well around pits. Poison mushrooms are interesting and did actually exist in a previous game (SNES Mario Kart) although only CPU players would drop them. Special items could work, although hopefully without altering the character equality that they seem to have nailed lately. Fake item boxes are just glorified banana peels but I guess they're decent.

A nice large track selection. My dream game would contain about 40 retro tracks in addition to the 16 or so new ones, but that's never gonna happen. Plus everyone has their own personal favourites so it's pointless debating really. Perhaps a cool idea would be to have a cup for each retro game, so 7 cups in total. Working your way through the different eras would be great. IMO the purest racing tracks were those on the SNES (Mario Circuit 2, Ghost Valley 2, Rainbow Road, Donut Plains 3, Bowsers Castle 1) but there have been some great ones recently too.

Overall it looks very good, these are just my personal choices so feel free to ignore! Also, I'm a bit old school so I'd get rid of snaking altogether but I realise for most people it's a staple of MK.

Dec 30, 2011
WALUIGI has idea for Campaign Missions:

Beginner:

Mario's Shy Guy Mayhem! (Mario Circuit with 8 laps with 11 CPU Shy Guys with Mario)
Hey Diddy Diddy (Funky Stadium (Wii) with 3 matches on Ballon Battle on Frantic Items with Diddy Kong)
Cosmic Chaos! (Any character against Cosmic Mario on a timed checkpoint race on 1 lap on Rainbow Road)

Medium:

The Need for Plead (Koopa, Hammer Bro or Dry Bones (all in Red Team) against King Boo, Wiggler and Birdo on 2 laps of Moonview Highway)

Expert:

Wario Wevenge! (10 3 lap races of Wario Gold Mine with Wario)

Waluigi needs Bosses too. None of them are cool? TOO BAd. WALUIGI TIME.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
CAT_MARK_1 said:
I was disappointed there was no stat tracking like there was in Mario Kart Wii. For instance the number of races you have raced, the number of item hits you have delivered etc. With the inclusion of coins, and how a set number is needed to unlock certain items, I figured at least you could see how many coins you had collected. (If you can see this, I haven't found it yet. And I understand it is a handheld game, and there are limitations).
I wasn't aware Mario Kart Wii had stat tracking, but it definitely sounds like a good idea for Mario Kart WiiU. There is a way to view your coins in MK7, by the way, just check your profile on the Mario Kart channel.

CAT_MARK_1 said:
On that note, I loved reading your original post OP. "Waluigi Billiards" haha, I can only imagine what that would be like. And I loved the idea of choosing how many characters are in each race. I myself was the fan of the twelve in the Wii version, but being able to change things up would be great.
Haha, thanks. Waluigi Billiards was an idea I had for a Mario Kart course long ago, when Mario Kart DS was still new. I guess the idea came to mind after seeing Waluigi Pinball in that game, so Waluigi Billiards would act in a similar way, starting out under the pool table where the balls are stored, racing through the tunnels connecting each pocket until you reach the end, which brings you up to the pool table itself. Then you'd have to dodge pool balls to reach the pocket on the other side of the table- it would be quite a hectic course.

___rioN99 said:
I thought about alternative costumes too after the issue of Mario / Metal Mario being a straight pallette swap. I would however have Mario's alternate be Metal or Cosmic Mario, but Fire flower Mario is also cool! Oh and Luigi's alternate costume is Mr. L for definite.
I wanted to make Mario's alternate costume be Metal Mario, but wouldn't it be odd if online you saw normal Mario and Metal Mario racing each other, moving at the same speed? Then again, Mario games have made less sense at times, so I suppose that wouldn't be too big of a deal.

___rioN99 said:
I like the inclusion of E. Gadd, Birdo, Hammer Bro and Magikoopa. Would like to see Lakitu make a return and although I don't play as her I think Rosalina warrants a spot. Not sure about having all the Kongs, this is a Mario game after all not a DK one, pretty sure most of them (bar DK / DK Jr. / Diddy) have never really appeared in Mario franchise games.

On the issue of characters, you've got a good selection there. The only problem I have is the inclusion of baby characters, they were an okay gimmick but I've gotten pretty sick of them lately. First Baby Mario and Luigi, then Daisy and Peach. What next? Baby DK, Baby Boo, Baby Shigeru Miyamoto, Baby Jesus... If I'm playing a GP I want to play against one Mario, not Mario + Baby Mario + Metal Mario + 70s Rocker Mario. Talk about a publicity whore.
I like Lakitu alot as well, but there was no room for him in the "Small" size class. When choosing characters, it came down to him and E. Gadd, so I went with E. Gadd for the sake of having more new characters. I included Rosalina in my roster by the way, perhaps you skipped over her? Dixie Kong hasn't just been in Donkey Kong games- she was in the Mario Baseball games too, which I think warrants her a spot. Not to mention Nintendo loves to add new female characters to Mario Kart games...how else do you think Baby Daisy and Queen Bee have made the cut in previous games? Also, as far as the baby characters go, I don't really see them as a gimmick. They're legitimate Mario characters (well, the ones I included are, at least. Baby Daisy is useless), and have appeared in multiple games outside of Mario Kart, and deserve a spot in the next game.

___rioN99 said:
A nice large track selection. My dream game would contain about 40 retro tracks in addition to the 16 or so new ones, but that's never gonna happen. Plus everyone has their own personal favourites so it's pointless debating really. Perhaps a cool idea would be to have a cup for each retro game, so 7 cups in total. Working your way through the different eras would be great. IMO the purest racing tracks were those on the SNES (Mario Circuit 2, Ghost Valley 2, Rainbow Road, Donut Plains 3, Bowsers Castle 1) but there have been some great ones recently too.

Overall it looks very good, these are just my personal choices so feel free to ignore! Also, I'm a bit old school so I'd get rid of snaking altogether but I realise for most people it's a staple of MK.
Even though I would love to see a bunch of retro tracks remade, I think Nintendo will keep it even between new and old tracks. 20 new and 20 old seems fair enough to me, anyway.

HotwiredNintendo said:
Love this post!
Thank you! :)

jwoody1234 said:
The alternative costume idea is fantastic!!! Also I like that you brought back highway/ city courses! I wasn't happy seeing mario kart 7 not having a course with cars in it...
Yeah, I agree. The only track with cars in this game was Wuhu Loop, and when I think of Wuhu Island it doesn't really strike me as a traffic course. They should've brought back Toad's Turnpike or Mushroom City or something...

WaluigiTime said:
WALUIGI has idea for Campaign Missions:
Beginner:
Mario's Shy Guy Mayhem! (Mario Circuit with 8 laps with 11 CPU Shy Guys with Mario)
Hey Diddy Diddy (Funky Stadium (Wii) with 3 matches on Ballon Battle on Frantic Items with Diddy Kong)
Cosmic Chaos! (Any character against Cosmic Mario on a timed checkpoint race on 1 lap on Rainbow Road)
Medium:
The Need for Plead (Koopa, Hammer Bro or Dry Bones (all in Red Team) against King Boo, Wiggler and Birdo on 2 laps of Moonview Highway)
Expert:
Wario Wevenge! (10 3 lap races of Wario Gold Mine with Wario)
Waluigi needs Bosses too. None of them are cool? TOO BAd. WALUIGI TIME.
I think I'd have Mission Mode appear in a similar style to that of DS's Mission Mode. Less corny names that way, you know?

Aug 31, 2011
I liked the way the blue shell worked in mario kart 7.i liked that it was on the ground because it hit other people. it wasn't just a middle finger to the person in first. but i did like the fact that in double dash you can confuse it by using a mini-turbo off a drift and it just keeps going straight. also, how did you figure 6 weight classes? That would take a lot of AI for a minor thing. get rid of the blooper and make the freezie work like a bannana instead of a shell. make Rosalina's special like a triple star or something similar. Also, I would prefer Rosalina's Ice World, I am not a fan of all the gaps in the track in DK Jungle because that is when you get attacked. Also, make an item that makes you invinsible, forces you to drive but prevents you from falling off the coarse and use that item to replace the bullet bill. I don't like the idea of a Wii U battle coarse, replace it with like a rainbow arena which plays music that combines all the songs from the Mario kart series. switch the triple banana for the 5 bananas from Mario Kart 64. Please don't mix racing games, Mute City would not be in a Mario Kart game so please don't waste a slot for it. Finally, I know this would put 2 Rainbow Roads in one cup, but it would be awesome to see the Double Dash!! version of Rainbow Road instead of its Bowser's Castle.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Luigi121296 said:
I liked the way the blue shell worked in mario kart 7.i liked that it was on the ground because it hit other people. it wasn't just a middle finger to the person in first.
Agreed, but it should also appear a bit less often than it did in 7.

Luigi121296 said:
also, how did you figure 6 weight classes? That would take a lot of AI for a minor thing.
What are you talking about? Mario Kart 7 has 5 weight classes, I think a far more powerful system like the WiiU could handle an extra size class.

Luigi121296 said:
get rid of the blooper and make the freezie work like a bannana instead of a shell. make Rosalina's special like a triple star or something similar.
Why? There's already plenty of banana-like thrown items as it is, like the fake item box, bob-omb, and poison mushroom. May as well have a few more items that move around like the Koopa shell, for variety's sake. Also, a triple star would be horribly cheap, so that wouldn't work.

Luigi121296 said:
Also, I would prefer Rosalina's Ice World, I am not a fan of all the gaps in the track in DK Jungle because that is when you get attacked.
Yeah, I've decided to go with Rosalina's Ice World instead of DK Jungle. Underwater sections are rare to come by with retro tracks, and DK Jungle has only one small underwater section that's only accessed by players unfortunate enough to get hit with something while gliding above it. Also, I noticed part of Rosalina's Ice World is an icy halfpipe, which would work well for halfpipe tricks, returning from Mario Kart Wii.

Luigi121296 said:
Also, make an item that makes you invinsible, forces you to drive but prevents you from falling off the coarse and use that item to replace the bullet bill.
So...a star?

Luigi121296 said:
I don't like the idea of a Wii U battle coarse, replace it with like a rainbow arena which plays music that combines all the songs from the Mario kart series.
I probably would replace the WiiU course with something. A rainbow arena isn't likely though, as it kind of takes away from the real Rainbow Road.

Luigi121296 said:
Mute City would not be in a Mario Kart game so please don't waste a slot for it. Finally, I know this would put 2 Rainbow Roads in one cup, but it would be awesome to see the Double Dash!! version of Rainbow Road instead of its Bowser's Castle.
Yeah, there's no way Mute City could be in a Mario Kart game. That's about as likely as having like two courses based on Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort. Oh wait.

Aug 31, 2011
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
also, how did you figure 6 weight classes? That would take a lot of AI for a minor thing.
What are you talking about? Mario Kart 7 has 5 weight classes, I think a far more powerful system like the WiiU could handle an extra size class.
Actually, size classes were not defined in Mario Kart 7, all characters had different base stats. So it was stupid to say it would take to much AI. though a large amount of weight classes is a minor feature.

Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
get rid of the blooper and make the freezie work like a bannana instead of a shell. make Rosalina's special like a triple star or something similar.
Why? There's already plenty of banana-like thrown items as it is, like the fake item box, bob-omb, and poison mushroom. May as well have a few more items that move around like the Koopa shell, for variety's sake. Also, a triple star would be horribly cheap, so that wouldn't work.
I never said they had to be common did I?

Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
Also, make an item that makes you invinsible, forces you to drive but prevents you from falling off the coarse and use that item to replace the bullet bill.
So...a star?
No, it would like create a barrier to prevent you from falling off the track, but would allow you to continue driving, you can fall off the track with a star.

Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
Mute City would not be in a Mario Kart game so please don't waste a slot for it.
Yeah, there's no way Mute City could be in a Mario Kart game. That's about as likely as having like two courses based on Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort. Oh wait.
Wuhu island has been in many games and they only used it to make use of the stupid one lap feature.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
I never said they had to be common did I?
It's still too powerful in comparison to the other special items, which should all appear at the same rate, anyway.

Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
So...a star?
No, it would like create a barrier to prevent you from falling off the track, but would allow you to continue driving, you can fall off the track with a star.
It still sounds quite similar to a star. I like the idea of a barrier preventing you from falling off, though. Maybe this could be an added feature to the Star's power.

Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
Mute City would not be in a Mario Kart game so please don't waste a slot for it.
Wuhu island has been in many games and they only used it to make use of the stupid one lap feature.
Yes, but all of the games Wuhu Island has appeared in were not part of the Mario series. A Mute City track would be a nice homage to Nintendo's other racing series, F-Zero. We've already had the Blue Falcon as a kart in Mario Kart Wii, so I'd say a Mute City track is still a possibility.

nhkawaguchi

No Longer a Noob
Feb 20, 2009
Warp Star - Dreamland
i would rather have more characters than costumes. since data is limited.
i really would like a faster speed on mario kart. to test the skills of how people handle turns with speeds. 150cc isn't enough 4 me. (dangerous driver)
i also would make the fire flower become fireball, its unnecessary to have fireball spammers online.
i would also remove the super leaf because people spam that too. Peach's hearts are good for me.
im neutral to blue shell style. because all you have to do for the floor ones is stay out of the center.
a personal add is make the star power theme epic music.

CAT_MARK_1

No Longer a Noob
Jan 31, 2004
Dry_Bones I wasn't aware Mario Kart Wii had stat tracking said:
Oh yeah...I believe it's in "settings" at the top right of the screen. It tracks your number of races, number of tricks performed, number of item hits delivered and received. Also tracks your number of "wins" and "losses" in online play. There were other things it tracked too. I've always liked being able to go and see stuff like that, and thought it was an excellent addition. I'm hoping they expand on it for the next console edition.

Aug 31, 2011
Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
So...a star?
It still sounds quite similar to a star. I like the idea of a barrier preventing you from falling off, though. Maybe this could be an added feature to the Star's power.
That works. the increased acceleration from the star always makes me fly off tracks on turns, so i am in dire need of it to do something for edges. But, the bullet bill has to go. I hate getting it and i hate when other people get it. It is extremely unbalanced.

Dry_Bones said:
Yes, but all of the games Wuhu Island has appeared in were not part of the Mario series. A Mute City track would be a nice homage to Nintendo's other racing series, F-Zero. We've already had the Blue Falcon as a kart in Mario Kart Wii, so I'd say a Mute City track is still a possibility.
I forgot about the kart. I guess it would be cool.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
nhkawaguchi said:
i would rather have more characters than costumes. since data is limited.
i really would like a faster speed on mario kart. to test the skills of how people handle turns with speeds. 150cc isn't enough 4 me. (dangerous driver)
i also would make the fire flower become fireball, its unnecessary to have fireball spammers online.
i would also remove the super leaf because people spam that too. Peach's hearts are good for me.
im neutral to blue shell style. because all you have to do for the floor ones is stay out of the center.
a personal add is make the star power theme epic music.
Costumes wouldn't take up much space at all, it's just a recolor of an already existing character model. With the Fire Flower as a special item, it would be seen far less online so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Super Leaf isn't that bad, I'd leave it as is. And yeah, I've decided I'd keep the Blue Shell as it currently is.

CAT_MARK_1 said:
Dry_Bones said:
I wasn't aware Mario Kart Wii had stat tracking, but it definitely sounds like a good idea for Mario Kart WiiU. There is a way to view your coins in MK7, by the way, just check your profile on the Mario Kart channel.
Oh yeah...I believe it's in "settings" at the top right of the screen. It tracks your number of races, number of tricks performed, number of item hits delivered and received. Also tracks your number of "wins" and "losses" in online play. There were other things it tracked too. I've always liked being able to go and see stuff like that, and thought it was an excellent addition. I'm hoping they expand on it for the next console edition.
Interesting, I never knew about that. That should definitely return in Mario Kart WiiU.

Luigi121296 said:
But, the bullet bill has to go. I hate getting it and i hate when other people get it. It is extremely unbalanced.
Agreed, I'm not really a fan of the Bullet Bill either. I always preferred Double Dash's Chain Chomp. Maybe they should bring that back to replace the Bullet Bill?

Anyways, I've changed some of my courses a bit. Instead of listing them all again, I'm going to make track descriptions for each one, starting with the Mushroom Cup:

Luigi Circuit: A pretty basic first course, in similar style to Double Dash and Wii's Luigi Circuits. No air gliding or underwater sections featured on this track, just a few trick ramps and boost pads. I've noticed that many of the first circuits in Mario Kart games feature a semi-circular turn with series of several boost pads in a row right before the finish line. Both Luigi Circuit from Wii and Toad Circuit from 3DS have this, and near the end of the new Luigi Circuit, there would be a very similar turn like this.

Flower Fields: This course takes place in a flowery meadow with a large beanstalk growing out of the ground. After a few turns, you begin the ascend the beanstalk, which goes up into the clouds. Once racers reach the end of the beanstalk, they begin to airglide through the clouds, back down to the race track. After another turn, the next lap begins.

Daisy Desert: A desert course in the shape of a crown. Players start on the left side of the ground and race upward, toward the top part of the crown. The "spikes" in the crown make great turns for drifting. Once racers reach the right side of the crown, a few ramps are spread across this straightaway, many of which are used to jump over nearby Pokeys. Once racers reach the bottom of the crown, they approach a desert oasis, shaped in a flower, which is usually seen on the base of Daisy's crown. The oasis leads to a brief underwater segment which leads to an airglider ramp, allowing players to cut the bottom-left corner of the crown to reach the finish line quicker. If for any reason the player can't glide, the rest of the path on the bottom of the crown has boost pads to help the player catch up to gliding opponents.

Spooky Woods: This haunted course is very similar to the forest section from DS Luigi's Mansion, which means plenty of trees, and muddy segments as well. This track is haunted by Boos and other ghosts from Luigi's Mansion 2. Throughout the course are dead ends set up by the ghosts that lead to bottomless pits. A few glider ramps are found on offroad ramps, much like the ones in N64 Kalimari Desert in Mario Kart 7. A Fishin' Boo from Super Mario World replaces Lakitu in this track.

And now, for the courses in the Shell Cup:

DS Figure-8 Circuit: This track is almost identical to it's original appearance in DS. I chose this course because none of DS's two circuits have been brought back yet, and this one makes a good first course for the Shell Cup.

3DS Cheep-Cheep Lagoon: Again, this course is pretty much identical to its original. I picked it because I wanted to bring a beach course back, and with the return of airgliding and underwater racing in WiiU, I thought picking a beach course that already had both of these features would be a good idea.

GBA Riverside Park: A pretty faithful 3D remake of this course with a few changes. In the original, there was a shortcut over the water that could only be used with a mushroom. Underwater driving would make this shortcut too easy, however, so it has been removed. Some of the walls have been extended to prevent players from using underwater driving to avoid a good portion of the track. However, there was another shortcut in the original level that consisted of a small path of shallow water that cut across the deeper water. This area will remain to be a shortcut in WiiU, but by underwater driving instead. This area will be the only one in which players can use the underwater driving feature as a shortcut. Also, the big jump before the finish line has become an airglider ramp. I chose this course because it was one of Super Circuit's more memorable tracks, plus its one of the few jungle tracks from previous Mario Karts that hasn't been brought back yet.

Wii Toad's Factory: Most of this track remains the same as it was in Wii. The two main differences are found at the end of the track. The large jump leading back outside toward the end of the race is now an airglider ramp. Also, the former water hazard found right after the ramp has been turned into an underwater segment that leads to another gliding ramp, allowing racers to glide over the mud segment. Above this water segment, for players already gliding, is a aerial boost pad, like ones found in Diddy Kong Racing, which work just as the Star Launch circles did for airgliders in Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road. This aerial boost pad will allow players to continue gliding over the mud segment. I picked this track because it's a pretty unique and well-liked track from Wii's Mushroom Cup.

Mr-Chris

Smashing!
May 16, 2009
^Ahh those are nice, pretty much what I was on about above. Nice descriptions that bring the concept forward. I love the adjustments to Retro Tracks. Well done dood ;)

I like the Daisy Desert idea, is that course one of the types where it's one long lap like the Wuhu tracks from MK7? I think that would be good.

nhkawaguchi

No Longer a Noob
Feb 20, 2009
Warp Star - Dreamland
I also wanted to be able to change the amount of laps in VS race mode just like MKDD and be able to customize the options like in mkw.
With items i just think they should not have much power. its more of a racing game after all.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
nhkawaguchi said:
I also wanted to be able to change the amount of laps in VS race mode just like MKDD and be able to customize the options like in mkw.
With items i just think they should not have much power. its more of a racing game after all.
That's something I should've mentioned about VS mode. It should be far more customizable than it currently is. You should be able to adjust how many people are in a race, pick which computer characters you race against, pick which items will appear in the race, and adjust the laps of each course to either 1, 3, 5 or 7. All of the other VS mode features from Mario Kart 7 will return as well, but this would all be available in single player mode too.

Mr-Chris said:
^Ahh those are nice, pretty much what I was on about above. Nice descriptions that bring the concept forward. I love the adjustments to Retro Tracks. Well done dood ;)

I like the Daisy Desert idea, is that course one of the types where it's one long lap like the Wuhu tracks from MK7? I think that would be good.
Daisy Desert isn't quite as long as I made it sound, I just went into a bit more detail since its a track idea I've had ever since Mario Kart DS. An average lap for that course would probably take around 45 seconds or so, so it wouldn't be suitable for a 3-section 1-lap course. As for those kinds of courses though, should they reappear in WiiU? I chose not to bring any of those back for the retro courses since I feel that the tracks I picked were more memorable than the Wuhu Island courses. But do you think there should be some new 3-section courses in the new one?

Now, for more track ideas. This time it's the Flower Cup.

Yoshi's Island: I ditched the generic Birdo Beach idea I had for a much more interesing idea. If 3-section courses like the Wuhu courses were to return in this game, this would be one of them. This would be a full tour around Yoshi's Island, the majority of which takes place on the coast of the island, leading to plenty of underwater sections. There would be a few piers built around the island as well, leading to trick ramps and airglider ramps. Around the island would be obstacles consisting of familar faces from Yoshi's Island, like Piranha Plants on grassy areas, Fly Guys in the air, and the usual Mario Kart crabs found along the beach segments. If for some reason, 3-section courses didn't make a return, then this track would take place on a specific part of Yoshi's Island's coast, and go a bit more inward into the island to make a 3-lap loop.

Sherbet Lake: Named after snow tracks from previous Mario Kart games, this course takes place on a frozen lake in the middle of a snowy forest. The lake is divided in two by water, which Lakitu pulls you out of since it isn't an underwater segment until later in the course. Penguins are sliding across the frozen lake, just like in N64's Sherbet Land. After passing over the lake once, the player continues on a snowy path in the woods, which leads to the other section of the lake. After passing through, the player is lead back into the snowy woods. After making a turn, players enter a pipe that brings them to the bottom of the frozen lake. After passing through, the player is lead back into the snowy woods, right near the finish line.

Mario Circuit: Like the past four Mario Circuits, this is a pretty basic course that loops around Peach's Castle. The first half of the track is comparable to DS's Mario Circuit, consisting of both paved roads and dirt roads, Piranha Plant and Goomba obstacles, and a large pipe for players to pass through. Also on this course are a few trick ramps, as well as a few turns where racers can go up the walls to perform a trick, like in a halfpipe. More than halfway through the course, as players approach Peach's Castle, the track actually leads into the moat under Peach's Castle, which consists of an underwater racing segment until they reach the other side of her castle, and after a few more turns, the finish line.

Waluigi Billiards: This course consists of a giant pool table that looks sort of similar to DS Waluigi Pinball. Racers start out in the area under the pool table where the balls are stored. After making a right, they race through the tunnels that connect each pocket until they reach the third, topleft pocket, which acts as an upwards tunnel like the one in GCN Rainbow Road, bringing players up to the surface of the pool table. You'd have to race to get to the topright pocket, since all other pockets are closed off. Plenty of obstacles get in the way though, including pool cues and triangles which shape the path to getting from one corner to the other, as well as three giant moving pool balls that can easily get in the way. Once they reach the corner pocket, players go through another pocket-connecting tunnel which leads them to the finish line.

And now, for the Banana Cup.

GCN Dry Dry Desert: This course looks very similar to its original appearance in Double Dash. Much like N64 Kalimari Desert in Mario Kart 7, a few off-road airglider ramps are scattered throughout the track. Besides that, the only major difference is that tricks can now be performed on the many hills and fallen columns that appear in the course. I picked this course because it's literally the only Double Dash course from the Mushroom and Flower Cups that hasn't been brought back yet. Aside from that, it's also a great desert course, which I needed to bring back one of anyway.

SNES Bowser Castle 2: Much like the GBA Bowser Castles we've seen in the past few Mario Karts, this 3D iteration of a classic track remains faithful to the original course, but has a few new features as well. All jump ramps from the original course have now been converted to trick ramps like the ones seen in Mario Kart Wii's version of GBA Bowser Castle 3. The dead end that appeared in the original version of this course now has a trick ramp at the end of it, which brings players to the other side a bit quicker. Players that avoid this former dead end and continue on, however, will be lead to an airglider ramp that lets them fly over the lava pits, and quickly catch up to those who used the trick ramp shortcut. I chose this track because we've seen a GBA Bowser Castle in the past 3 Mario Kart games, and having a similarly-styled course from SNES is a nice change of pace.

N64 Royal Raceway: This track remains very true to the original, with almost no differences aside from the updated graphics. The only new feature on this track is that the big jump that leads toward Peach's castle is now an airgliding jump. I picked this course because its one of the few classic circuit courses that haven't been brought back in a recent Mario Kart game yet. I also wanted a second retro circuit course as well.

3DS Rock Rock Mountain (Alpine Pass): This track is basically a replica of the original version. Since all of Mario Kart 7's features make a return in this game, I see no reason to make any changes to this track. I chose it because I wanted a Flower Cup course from MK7, and this course seemed to be quite a popular one. Plus the course features plenty of airgliding segments, which is a little bit harder to implement in older retro courses.

Mr-Chris

Smashing!
May 16, 2009
Yeah I feel the section based tracks add some real variety to the game and I like the idea of them, so they should return.

Good ideas again, lovin' the Yoshi's Island one. It's about time there was a proper track based on those games. Plus, Royal Raceway is a bloody classic, maybe my favourite course of all time! It'd be great to see that again.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Mr-Chris said:
Yeah I feel the section based tracks add some real variety to the game and I like the idea of them, so they should return.

Good ideas again, lovin' the Yoshi's Island one. It's about time there was a proper track based on those games. Plus, Royal Raceway is a bloody classic, maybe my favourite course of all time! It'd be great to see that again.
Haha, thanks! Royal Raceway was one of my favorites from N64 too, I was hoping it would be in MK7. As for the section-based tracks, I have 3 new ones planned. Should any of MK7's section based tracks return, though? Right now I think the four tracks are picked are a bit more interesting than the Wuhu Island tracks, but if people like them, then maybe I'd replace one of my 3DS choices with a Wuhu course. But for now, I'll just continue with the Star Cup and Coin Cup.

Piranha Park: This course is basically a Piranha Plant-themed skate park. The obstacles consist of Piranha Plants, of course, both in pipes and out of pipes. Some of the Piranha Plants in pipes spit out fireballs as well. As for the course itself, the player will find plenty of opportunities to do tricks between the many ramps and halfpipes found throughout the level. The halfpipes in this level are actually giant pipes cut in half. Since this level primarily focuses on tricks, there aren’t any underwater or air-glider sequences in this level.

Diddy Falls: This is a jungle course that revolves around a large waterfall. The starting line is to the right of the waterfall, in a dense jungle. The player races uphill and makes a left, crossing the large river at the top of the waterfall, which is an underwater racing segment. After cutting across the river, racers go through a few more twists and turns in the jungle, until they’re led to a large air-gliding ramp. Racers then begin gliding over the river that leads to the waterfall, with several aerial boost pads to help keep them flying. Once the river turns into the waterfall, players continue gliding downward, towards a path in the jungle near the bottom of the waterfall. Players then make a left and begin ascending the uphill jungle path towards the finish line.

Peach Express: This level takes place on Princess Peach’s luxurious express train. Players start out on a train station labeled Station 01, which is located right next to the train. A few seconds after the race starts, the train begins to take off. The racers quickly reach an air-glider ramp near the end of the station, which allows them to catch up and land on top of the train. As players jump from car to car, they reach the front-most part of the train, the locomotive. On top of the locomotive is a trick ramp that leads into an oversized smoke stack, allowing racers to enter the train. Players now race through the cars, avoiding passengers, which consist of Toads and high-class Goombas with top hats. Once racers reach the caboose, they exit the train, which has now stopped at Station 02. After another lap, the player reaches Station 03. The race ends after the third lap, which sees players returning to Station 01. If the train ever takes off while a player is still at the station and can’t catch up, Lakitu picks them up and brings them to the back of the train.

Mute City: This is another three-section course, and homage to Nintendo’s other racing series, F-Zero. Players start out in what seems to be a recreation of the Mute City tracks from the first F-Zero games on SNES. Just like the tracks in that game, the track features no elevation in this section, since F-Zero, as well as other racing games back then like Super Mario Kart, were incapable of elevation. The music, which is a cover of the original Mute City theme sounds distinctly retro in this section. Upon entering a tunnel, section two begins. Once the player leaves the tunnel, they’ll find that the motif has completely changed, and the track now resembles Mute City’s appearance from F-Zero X. The music, while keeping the same melody, now has more of a Rock sound to it, which was seen in the majority of F-Zero X’s soundtrack. At this point, the track has smoother curves and plenty of elevation, even a loop-de-loop towards the end of the section. After passing through another tunnel, the last section begins, and Mute City now has an F-Zero GX motif. Players now deal with sharp turns and a halfpipe-esque racetrack, allowing for tricks at most turns until they reach the finish line.

Wii DK Summit: This course isn’t that different from its original version. The big jump to the top of the summit now features the air-glider, just like in Mario Kart 7’s version of Wii Maple Treeway. Besides that, all other parts of the track are left alone, since adding an air-glider for a downhill course would lead to players flying over the course for too long. I chose this course because it was a relatively popular Wii course, a snow level, and features plenty of halfpipe tricks in addition to ramp tricks, both of which return in WiiU.

GCN Mushroom City: Once again, this retro course doesn’t see too many changes. All of the original traffic cars, including the Wiggler Bus, bomb kart, and Mushroom Car, all reappear here. Also, towards the end of the course, right before the long gap, is an air-gliding ramp, allowing players to glide over traffic before reaching the finish line. I chose this course because I wanted a traffic course to return, and with few Double Dash courses left to pick, this seemed like one of the best options.

DS Tick-Tock Clock: A few trick ramps have been added to this updated version of Tick-Tock Clock. Also, an air-glider ramp has been added right before the area with the spinning gears about halfway through the race. I chose this course because it was one of the more unique DS courses, and hasn’t been brought back yet.

GBA Ribbon Road: While the general layout of the course is the same, the WiiU graphics make the course look much better than the original. The first of the two big jump ramps in Ribbon Road remains as is, but the second one has been converted into an air-glider ramp. A few trick ramps are scattered around the course now, as well. This is the last Super Circuit track that appears in Mario Kart WiiU. I picked it because it’s one of the more unique tracks from Super Circuit, and was able to implement new features such as tricks and air-gliding to it.

CrusherMania1592

Crush them all!
Apr 4, 2008
Where the wind flows
Feather: Toad, Toadette, Shy Guy, Koopa, Dry Bones, Laiktu

Light: Peach, Daisy, Diddy, Dixie, Magikoopa, Monty Mole

Medium: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Birdo, Waluigi, Bowser Jr

Cruiser: DK, Rosalina, Wiggler, Hammer Bro, Funky, King Boo

Heavy: Wario, Bowser, Petey, Honey Queen, Boom Boom, Pom Pom

Bold for unlockables and italic for new drivers. No repeating characters (Metal Mario/Dry Bowser) and no babies. As much as I love the babies (well except Baby Daisy), I honestly feel they wouldn't fit in this roster with the new drivers and should be in other Mario Kart games. Really tried to find room for Toadsworth to finally be playable, but couldn't do it. Daisy and Diddy will join the MK7 starting roster.

How about choosing an option on picking between eight, ten, and twelve racers per race? As you start the game, they'll be eight drivers. Continue to play the game, you'll unlock more drivers and the ten and twelve drivers cups will be unlocked. Tracks will be the same, but with more people.

Would be nice to make the Lightning Cup back to where it was from the GBA games where you had five cups (Mushroom, Flower, Lightning, Star, Special) and for the retros will be Shell, Banana, Leaf, Ice, and Coin.

Shell: Luigi Circuit (Wii), Shy Guy Bazarr (MK7), Boo Lake (GBA), Cheese Land (GBA)

Banana: Toad's Factory (Wii), Ghost Valley 1 (SNES), Rosalina's Ice World (3DS), Mushroom City (GBC)

Leaf: Cheap-Cheap Island (GBA), Tick-Tock Clock (DS), Donut Plains 3 (SNES), Alpine Pass (MK7)

Ice: Wario Stadium (64), Lakeside Park (GBA), Koopa City (3DS), Vanilla Lake 1 (SNES)

Coin: Koopa Beach 1 (SNES), Ribbon Road (GBA), Royal Raceway (64), Bowser's Castle (GBC)

I haven't thought about regular tracks other than a Rainbow Road course for Special Cup. [face_tongue]

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
CrusherMania1592 said:
Feather: Toad, Toadette, Shy Guy, Koopa, Dry Bones, Laiktu
Light: Peach, Daisy, Diddy, Dixie, Magikoopa, Monty Mole
Medium: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Birdo, Waluigi, Bowser Jr
Cruiser: DK, Rosalina, Wiggler, Hammer Bro, Funky, King Boo
Heavy: Wario, Bowser, Petey, Honey Queen, Boom Boom, Pom Pom

Bold for unlockables and italic for new drivers. No repeating characters (Metal Mario/Dry Bowser) and no babies. As much as I love the babies (well except Baby Daisy), I honestly feel they wouldn't fit in this roster with the new drivers and should be in other Mario Kart games. Really tried to find room for Toadsworth to finally be playable, but couldn't do it. Daisy and Diddy will join the MK7 starting roster.
Hmm, very interesting. I like how you kept Mario Kart 7's weight class system and expanded upon it. Like you said, that's impossible to do with baby character since it leads to too many Feather-weight characters. Personally, I’d replace Monty Mole with E. Gadd, and switch Waluigi with Hammer Bro, since Hammer Bro isn’t heavy enough to be a Cruiser, but Waluigi could be. I would also replace Honey Queen with, well, anyone. It was an awful choice for a character in Mario Kart 7 and should not come back in WiiU. Possible replacements could be Wart, Lubba, Pianta, King K. Rool, or Kritter.

CrusherMania1592 said:
How about choosing an option on picking between eight, ten, and twelve racers per race? As you start the game, they'll be eight drivers. Continue to play the game, you'll unlock more drivers and the ten and twelve drivers cups will be unlocked. Tracks will be the same, but with more people.
Well, like I said with my idea of the game, 50cc would be 8 racers, 100cc would be 10, and 150cc would be 12. So by having a starting roster of 10 characters, 50cc and 100cc will be available from the start. Then, once you unlock two more characters, 150cc is available.

CrusherMania1592 said:
Shell: Luigi Circuit (Wii), Shy Guy Bazarr (MK7), Boo Lake (GBA), Cheese Land (GBA)
Banana: Toad's Factory (Wii), Ghost Valley 1 (SNES), Rosalina's Ice World (3DS), Mushroom City (GBC)
Leaf: Cheap-Cheap Island (GBA), Tick-Tock Clock (DS), Donut Plains 3 (SNES), Alpine Pass (MK7)
Ice: Wario Stadium (64), Lakeside Park (GBA), Koopa City (3DS), Vanilla Lake 1 (SNES)
Coin: Koopa Beach 1 (SNES), Ribbon Road (GBA), Royal Raceway (64), Bowser's Castle (GBC)
I see some good picks here, but the balance between Mario Kart games is a bit off. I see you have 4 SNES tracks, 2 N64 tracks, 5 GBA tracks, 2 GCN (GCB) tracks, 1 DS track, 2 Wii tracks, and 4 3DS tracks. You have the right amount of 3DS tracks, but everything else needs adjusting. You have a bit too many GBA tracks, which are often the most unrepresented tracks in the Mario Kart games. There were only 2 in MKWii and 1 and MK7. Having 5 in MKWiiU is pretty unlikely, so I'd bring that down to 2. Same goes for SNES, there's a bit too much of those tracks as well. There have only been 2 SNES tracks in MKWii and 2 in MK7, so it's probably best to continue that trend. I'd add another N64, GCN and Wii course to bring those up to 3. And last, definitely add more DS tracks, since 1 is not enough. 3 DS tracks would be a good amount. So with 2 SNES tracks, 3 N64 tracks, 2 GBA tracks, 3 GCN tracks, 3 DS tracks, 3 Wii tracks and 4 3DS tracks, you get a nice total of 20, which is what you were aiming for, and each Mario Kart game gets represented more fairly.

And now, on to my next two Mario Kart WiiU cups.

Shine Cup
Baby Circuit: In a similar style to Double Dash’s Baby Park, this course is set in a field next to an amusement park. Some of the attractions seen in the background of Baby Park reappear here, as well as some new ones. Littered around the track itself are large stuffed animals and rocking horses, and toward the end of the track is an air-glider ramp that leads the players through a large crib. The course is actually quite short, which is why it has 5 laps, unlike any other course in the game.

Delfino Airstrip: This course is based on the location of the same name from Super Mario Sunshine, although the area has changed a bit over the years. With increased tourism to Isle Delfino, the airstrip has expanded, and a large airport terminal has been built. However, just like the in the original Delfino Airtsrip, there are two runways, one of which has the starting line on it. After the race starts, the player enters the airport terminal, and has multiple pathways to get through the building, reminiscent of Wii Coconut Mall’s various routes to take. After exiting the terminal, players race down the other runway, which ends in an air-gliding segment, which guides players to a small island. From there, players turn left and race underwater, which leads them back to the original runway, and the finish line.

Mushroom Plaza: This is Mario Kart WiiU’s new traffic course, and blends elements from all of the older traffic courses. The racers start out on a highway, reminiscent of the one seen in DS Shroom Ridge, but the course is set at evening, unlike in that course. After racing alongside traffic for a bit, players are lead to an air-glider ramp, which leads players to the rooftops of a city. After landing on a large building, players jump from building to building throughout the city, until lead to another large building. This building is in a more rural area, and after making a turn, players are lead to a series of large mushrooms to bounce on, like the ones seen in Wii Mushroom Gorge. These giant mushrooms lead players back to the highway from the beginning of the track, and the finish line.

Monty Mole Mines: The design for this course is based on the underground levels from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. As the name implies, Monty Moles appear as an obstacle throughout this level. Rocky Wrenches appear in mine-carts that run alongside the course, and throw wrenches at the racers. While the track design itself is reminiscent to that of Wii Wario’s Gold Mine, the entire level takes place in a cave, unlike that course. This track has several twists and tight turns, and about halfway through has an air-gliding segment in which players must avoid falling stalagmites.

Leaf Cup
3DS Wario Shipyard: This course is very similar to its original version, with the only added feature being that some turns, like the one seen right after the race begins, have been altered to allow halfpipe tricks, kind of like the changes seen in Mario Kart Wii’s version of GCN Waluigi Stadium. Aside from that, the course remains the same. I originally had Piranha Plant Slide (Piranha Plant Pipeway) appearing in this spot, but with the new Piranha Park level appearing in the Star Cup, I thought it would be a bit similar, so I picked this course instead. I picked this course, for the same reason I had picked Piranha Plant Slide/Pipeway in the first place: lots of underwater segments, which are difficult to incorporate into retro courses.

N64 Yoshi Valley: Another classic N64 track finally makes a return. Just like in the original version, players don’t know what place they’re in until the race has ended. The little porcupines that appeared in this course are removed, but have been replaced by Monty Moles. Also, in the grassy area near the finish line, a few off-road trick ramps have been placed. Aside from that, the rest of the course remains the same. I picked this course because it was a pretty popular N64 track, with its unique feature of not telling the player what place they’re in.

SNES Mario Circuit 4: Mario Kart DS had Mario Circuit 1, Mario Kart Wii had Mario Circuit 3, and Mario Kart 7 had Mario Circuit 2. I figured the trend should continue, and decided to include the last of the SNES Mario Circuits in Mario Kart WiiU. This course is a faithful recreation of the original course, with no new features added. Without any trick ramps or air-gliding sections, this course focuses fully on racing well, and drifting at the right time, which seems to be a theme with many of the SNES tracks. This is the last SNES course to appear in MKWiiU.

Wii Grumble Volcano: This was one of the more difficult courses from Mario Kart Wii, and it makes its return in Mario Kart WiiU. The course remains mostly the same except for one area about 2/3 of the way through the course. In this area, the path splits into two- a lower area, and an upper area with a speed boost pad. The path splits like this twice in this area of the course, and both of these speed boost pads have been changed to air-glider ramps. This is the last Wii course to appear in MKWiiU.

CrusherMania1592

Crush them all!
Apr 4, 2008
Where the wind flows
The only reason I added alot of GBA and SNES courses was because very few of them have been in future games since. 64 has about 3/4th of their courses on future games comparing to the others.

Idk about Hammer Bro and Waluigi. I do like the idea of Waluigi being heavy on MKWii because of how the middle class went, but having Hammer Bro as a cruiser would make sense because he seems more heavier than Waluigi. When you put Peach and Daisy in the same weight class with Wario, I almost wanted to slap you because how can Peach and Daisy who might weigh between 100-115 pounds can be in the same weight class as Wario who weighs like 308 pounds (according to mariowiki from where I found that out). To each, his own I suppose.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
CrusherMania1592 said:
The only reason I added alot of GBA and SNES courses was because very few of them have been in future games since. 64 has about 3/4th of their courses on future games comparing to the others.

Idk about Hammer Bro and Waluigi. I do like the idea of Waluigi being heavy on MKWii because of how the middle class went, but having Hammer Bro as a cruiser would make sense because he seems more heavier than Waluigi. When you put Peach and Daisy in the same weight class with Wario, I almost wanted to slap you because how can Peach and Daisy who might weigh between 100-115 pounds can be in the same weight class as Wario who weighs like 308 pounds (according to mariowiki from where I found that out). To each, his own I suppose.
There's a reason Nintendo picks less of the GBA and SNES tracks, and its because they all have similar designs- flat courses with no elevation. While SNES is a bit more memorable than GBA, the more popular tracks tend to come from the more advanced Kart games like N64 and Wii.

Anyways, I did not go by a weight class system. If you read my original post, you would see that it said I went with a size class system, which was also used in Mario Kart Wii. That's why, in that game, Mario and Diddy were in the same class- because it went by size, not weight. With a more specific size class system, I had six classes instead of just the 3 seen in Wii. Peach and Wario are in the same size class because they're both a bit bigger than Mario. Peach is taller than Mario, and so is Wario, so it makes sense for them to both fit into the same sized kart. Also, Hammer Bro is just slightly taller than a Koopa, so I don't see how he's heavier than Waluigi.

I'll post Special Cup and Lightning Cup descriptions next time.

___rioN99

Noob
Dec 10, 2011
Some good suggestions with characters here. Also agree that Metal Mario / Dry Bowser are just clones and have no use as anything but pallete swap / alternate costume characters. At least Cosmic Mario is a separate entity.

I sort of feel the same way about Baby characters. I enjoyed playing as them in previous games but I feel the gimmick has worn off slightly. If I play as Luigi I don't want to play against an AI Baby Luigi, it just doesn't make sense. If they could arrange it so that the AI doesn't pick the equivalent characters it'd be fine.

As for DK characters I think DK, Diddy and Dixie are all that are necessary. Going beyond that turns it into a DK game, not a Mario one.

The SNES tracks may be basic but they give some of the best racing experiences. Donut Plains 3 is an absolute classic and I find that the SNES retro tracks in MK7 are some of the most commonly chosen - lacking in dimensions as they may be.

Also, your list of characters is good. Don't worry too much about having to have an equal number of light, medium, heavy etc characters. If there are 8 light characters and 5 heavy, what difference does it make?

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
___rioN99 said:
Some good suggestions with characters here. Also agree that Metal Mario / Dry Bowser are just clones and have no use as anything but pallete swap / alternate costume characters. At least Cosmic Mario is a separate entity.
I sort of feel the same way about Baby characters. I enjoyed playing as them in previous games but I feel the gimmick has worn off slightly. If I play as Luigi I don't want to play against an AI Baby Luigi, it just doesn't make sense. If they could arrange it so that the AI doesn't pick the equivalent characters it'd be fine.
As for DK characters I think DK, Diddy and Dixie are all that are necessary. Going beyond that turns it into a DK game, not a Mario one.
Funny you mention Cosmic Mario, as I had considered him to be the fifth Medium character before I chose Cranky Kong. I don't really consider the baby characters a gimmick at all. With the exception of Baby Daisy, who was made specifically for Mario Kart Wii, all of the baby characters have appeared in numerous games, and deserve a spot on the roster. As for the Kongs, I don't think Cranky Kong is that much of a stretch. We've been seeing more and more Kongs in Mario games- Funky appeared in Mario Kart Wii, and also appeared in Mario Super Sluggers alongside Tiny Kong. I think Cranky Kong is more likely than either of them, though, since he was the only Kong aside from DK and Diddy to appear in the newest Donkey Kong game, Donkey Kong Country Returns. Considering that Retro made that game, and also helped out with Mario Kart 7, they may have a bit of influence over which Kongs join Mario Kart. One possible change I would make to my roster, though, would be to replace Baby Yoshi and Cranky Kong with Baby DK and Cosmic Mario. Do you think those two would be a better fit?

___rioN99 said:
The SNES tracks may be basic but they give some of the best racing experiences. Donut Plains 3 is an absolute classic and I find that the SNES retro tracks in MK7 are some of the most commonly chosen - lacking in dimensions as they may be.

Also, your list of characters is good. Don't worry too much about having to have an equal number of light, medium, heavy etc characters. If there are 8 light characters and 5 heavy, what difference does it make?
Hmm, perhaps I didn’t word my last post correctly. SNES courses aren’t unpopular, as you pointed out. In fact, SNES Rainbow Road is my favorite retro track in Mario Kart 7. However, the tracks from SNES are very similar to each other due to the limited technology of the game, as well as the tracks from GBA, which used similar technology, resulting in similar tracks. This is why we haven't seen a GBA and SNES track in the same cup together since Mario Kart DS. While these tracks are quite fun, 2 of each is enough. Otherwise, games like N64 and DS, whose tracks have more variety than SNES and GBA tracks, already have just 3 tracks each, and will have even less as a result. Oh, and about Donut Plains 3, I was considering bringing that back instead of Mario Circuit 4. The course would probably benefit from underwater racing being added, allowing for a different way of racing through it. Should I bring that back?

Also, I keep the size classes of characters equal because each class has their own karts to pick, just like in Mario Kart Wii. Having more characters in one class means more characters that could pick certain karts, which is a bit unfair to a player who wants to use a certain kart, but has less character choices than someone who uses a character from a size class with more characters.

And now, for my last two cups:

Special Cup
Dusty Canyon: This course is inspired by the mountainous setting of World 6 in New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Players race through a narrow canyon filled with twists and turns, making it easy to get knocked off, which results in a steep fall into the water far below. The path splits into two a few times throughout the course, usually with a higher path and lower path. The higher path usually results in players air gliding around an upcoming mountain, while lower paths result in going through the mountain instead. Some obstacles that appear throughout the course are Monty Moles and Piranha Plants. Toward the end of the course, a large air-gliding ramp lets players glide over a river far below to the finish line.

King Boo Carnival: This is the second haunted course in the game, and it takes place in an abandoned carnival overrun by Boos. Players race through the carnival's haunted attractions, including a Merry-Go-Round, a House of Mirrors, and an abandoned freak show building. Players also race along the track of a broken down roller coaster, which leads to an air-gliding ramp that has players glide through a Ferris Wheel, avoiding the moving cars. After landing, the player continues a bit further, and crosses the finish line.

Bowser's Castle: Just as Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road was the first one to have one long lap, WiiU's Bowser's Castle is also one long lap, split into three sections. As always, players start outside Bowser's Castle, and hear his menacing laugh upon entering. Elements from previous Bowser's Castles make a return in this course, including Thwomps, the halfpipe over lava from Wii, an underwater section like the one in Mario Kart 7, and a spinning bridge like in Mario Kart DS. New elements include small Bowser statues that breathe fire, a bone-coaster, and a tower that players ascend by sharply turning left until reaching the top, which leads to an air-glider ramp. Once exiting the castle and finishing the third section, the player is lead to a surprisingly peaceful area with a blue sky, which is usually what the player sees after beating Bowser's Castle in a main series Mario game, like the one seen [link=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4218118824_8f98353ea2.jpg]here[/link].

Rainbow Road: And of course, the last new track is Rainbow Road. Unlike in Mario Kart 7, WiiU’s Rainbow Road returns to the standard 3-lap format. Like in Double Dash, this Rainbow Road starts out with sharp turns, proceeding to a straightaway with many boost pads. This straightaway is bombarded by shooting stars, which players need to watch out for. After another turn, racers go through a corkscrew, like the one seen in DS’s Rainbow Road. After this, racers approach a serpentine-shaped straightaway, reminiscent to the last part of Wii DK Summit, which requires players to use halfpipe tricks. After this, players approach a large aquatic planet, like the ones seen in Super Mario Galaxy. The road makes an upside-down loop-de-loop through this planet, allowing for an underwater racing segment. Soon after, racers hop on UFOs, possibly belonging to Shroobs about three quarters through the level, which work just like large mushrooms do in Mushroom Plaza. Bouncing off the last UFO opens up racers’ gliders, allowing them to glide through a meteor field safely to the finish line.

Lightning Cup
DS Wario Stadium: This course remains true to the original, although plays quite differently with the features added to the Mario Kart series since DS. The many bumps and hills that appear throughout the course enable racers to pull off plenty of tricks. The three largest jumps found in the course have also been changed to air-glider ramps now, giving the course another new twist. I chose this course because I wanted a stadium level to return. I had originally picked GCN Wario Coliseum but decided to have a different GCN course return in this cup, so I picked DS Wario Stadium instead.

3DS Rosalina’s Ice World: This is the only course from Mario Kart 7 that has a few changes to it. Firstly, with halfpipe tricks making a return in WiiU, the first third of the track, which literally is a halfpipe, now allows players to do halfpipe tricks, just as they did in DK Summit. An odd thing I noticed is that the original course did not feature any air-gliding segments, so I changed the last jump near the end of the lap to an air-glider ramp. Even though I already had DK Summit returning, I decided to pick this course as well because I wanted one of the four courses designed by Retro Studios to return in this game. The four courses they designed, by the way, are Shy Guy Bazaar, Neo Bowser City, DK Jungle, and this. Shy Guy Bazaar is too easy of a course to appear in the Lightning Cup, and I already have a Bowser course appearing in this cup, so I had to decide between DK Jungle and this, but ultimately went with this since Diddy Falls is a bit similar to DK Jungle, whereas Sherbet Lake is pretty different compared to Rosalina’s Ice World, as is DK Summit.

GCN Bowser’s Castle: This course is pretty much an exact replica of the original, the only difference being that the last ramp towards the end of the lap is now an air-glider ramp. I chose this course because I wanted one of the 3D Bowser’s Castles to return, like how N64 Bowser’s Castle appeared in Wii. I originally was going to go with DS Bowser Castle since I was going to have GCN Wario Coliseum return, but decided that GCN Bowser’s Castle was more memorable than the DS version.

N64 Rainbow Road: One of the most memorable, classic N64 courses makes its long-awaited return. No trick ramps or air-gliding ramps have been added, so the course plays just as it did on the N64. For an added challenge, however, many of the rails have been removed. Rails are only found around turns now to prevent players from drifting off the course, just like how most rails have been placed in recent Rainbow Roads. The Chain Chomp makes a return in this course, too. I picked this course because the first Rainbow Road ever from SNES returning in Mario Kart 7, so it’s only fitting for the second Rainbow Road ever from N64 to return in WiiU.

And those are my courses for Mario Kart WiiU. One thing I’d like to point out is that the courses in the Lightning Cup are in the same places they were in their original Special Cup. Wario Stadium was first in DS’s Special Cup, Rosalina's Ice World was second in 3DS’s Special Cup, etc. Just an interesting trend I noticed. Anyways, I hope you guys have enjoyed reading my ideas for Mario Kart WiiU.

Oct 26, 2006
I had a few ideas before for courses and characters, I'll post them here:

+ Toad's Winter Village: A drive through a winter/christmas themed village on gravel/slick streets going by toad houses covered in lights. The path leads into a forest with trees and a frozen lake. It then goes through a cabin, up a snowy hill, which boosts you out onto the front of the path to the village.

+ Twilight Town: (not the same as Paper Mario's Twilight Town) An eerie town with the theme like the Twilight House. You start off at the town square and travel through twists and turns as you make your way up the clock tower in the middle of the town. You then dodge through broken floor and clockwork to get out the other end. You make your way down broken and eerie buildings till you hit the ground again. From there you turn around and go through the town square again.

+ Mushroom Heights: A colorfuly lit highrise city where you dodge cars in traffic, parking lots, and try to survive the twists and turns of the city highway. It is up in the air above the city, so don't fall off the ledge! It's very open and set at night so you can see all the lights in the city. Not like Neo Bowser City though, imagine Mushroom City, only in the air.

And some characters:
+ Il Piantissimo with a paintbrush-type kart - Medium Weight
+ Wart with a block-like or vase-like kart - Heavy Weight
+ Tatanga with a kart like his spaceship - Heavy Weight

Aug 31, 2011
Dry_Bones said:
Costumes wouldn't take up much space at all, it's just a recolor of an already existing character model.
unless it is a full out palette swap, which most of yours aren't, it would take almost as much data as a new character. I would also prefer more characters.

Mr-Chris

Smashing!
May 16, 2009
Wow, that F-Zero track idea was great! Now I want a new F-Zero game...
Anyway, loving the ideas yet again. You deserve an award or something D_B [face_tongue] Guess I'll WUL you! Haha.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
Costumes wouldn't take up much space at all, it's just a recolor of an already existing character model.
unless it is a full out palette swap, which most of yours aren't, it would take almost as much data as a new character. I would also prefer more characters.
It wouldn't take nearly as much data as you'd think. It's still the same character model, with the same sound clips and same animations. Not to mention, as Pikmin9003 said, there'll be far more disk space, making the idea of alternate costumes even less of an issue.

Mr-Chris said:
Wow, that F-Zero track idea was great! Now I want a new F-Zero game...
Anyway, loving the ideas yet again. You deserve an award or something D_B [face_tongue] Guess I'll WUL you! Haha.
Thanks man, I'd WUL you back if I remembered how [face_tongue]

ShyGuy_Pal_101 said:
I had a few ideas before for courses and characters, I'll post them here:
+ Toad's Winter Village: A drive through a winter/christmas themed village on gravel/slick streets going by toad houses covered in lights. The path leads into a forest with trees and a frozen lake. It then goes through a cabin, up a snowy hill, which boosts you out onto the front of the path to the village.
+ Twilight Town: (not the same as Paper Mario's Twilight Town) An eerie town with the theme like the Twilight House. You start off at the town square and travel through twists and turns as you make your way up the clock tower in the middle of the town. You then dodge through broken floor and clockwork to get out the other end. You make your way down broken and eerie buildings till you hit the ground again. From there you turn around and go through the town square again.
+ Mushroom Heights: A colorfuly lit highrise city where you dodge cars in traffic, parking lots, and try to survive the twists and turns of the city highway. It is up in the air above the city, so don't fall off the ledge! It's very open and set at night so you can see all the lights in the city. Not like Neo Bowser City though, imagine Mushroom City, only in the air.
I like your track ideas, Toad's Winter Village in particular. Would you mind if I replaced my "Sherbet Lake" track from the Flower Cup for a slightly edited version of your track called Chilly Village?

Also, two other track changes would be the last two courses of the Leaf Cup. I'm replacing SNES Mario Circuit 4 and Wii Grumble Volcano with SNES Donut Plains 3 and Wii Daisy Circuit. I picked these two because the lake that runs along part of the track in Donut Plains 3 translates well to the new underwater driving aspect of MK7 and WiiU. I picked Daisy Circuit since I wanted a third retro circuit (the same reason I had initially picked Mario Circuit 4), and also so an airgliding segment could be added to the circular area with the statues.

Pikmin9003

Beautiful Scarlet Cloth
Aug 9, 2010
The Atmosphere
Dry_Bones said:
Luigi121296 said:
Dry_Bones said:
It wouldn't take nearly as much data as you'd think. It's still the same character model, with the same sound clips and same animations. Not to mention, as Pikmin9003 said, there'll be far more disk space, making the idea of alternate costumes even less of an issue.

It has come to my attention that Nintendo had crammed alot more data in small spaces then you might think, actually.

They put the first game in a 256kb cartridge, but also crammed 524 bytes of sprite data, and 3840 bits* of palette data as well, possibly using some empty data.

64 had a huge expansion of data for the game, from 256kb to 12mib, which converts to 4meg. The Expansion covered an extra 4meg.

The GBA will be a bit more complicated to explain. The original would cover 384kb, the SP was the same, but would load alot more colour bitmaps. The Micro....I don't know the memory of it for the technical aspects, I still have to check on that. And the arcade games as well.

The DS is identical to the 64 data space, but with an extra 256kb. Lite wasn't different. The DSi, though, expanded to 16megs.

The GameCube pulled off alot more technical data, topping 384kb for the cache, and 17.27GB just for the System Memory. 30kb is audio, 1.5GB is disk space.

The Wii covered a bit less for the technicals. 91mb is just the 'block' system alone, but all the NAND covers 512meg. Disk space is 4GB**.

The 3DS made the data go up alot more from the Wii, doing 2GB for the NAND, but you could top that with an SD in the slot. (Mind, only 1.5GB of the NAND is used for data, the other .5 is used for the system) It had 128meg for the memory, and the Cartridge is 3.5GB, which could explain the roster shortage.

...I'm a nerd for knowing this stuff.

*I have yet to figure out what a bit converts to in bytes, so when I figure it out, I'll let all you know what it is.
**When I said "25GB compared to 4", I was comparing the U to the Wii's data space in a disk. So finally Nintendo is fighting the PS3 and 360's disk spaces.

Mr-Chris

Smashing!
May 16, 2009
Don't you just click the 'WUL' button on the bottom right of a post? That's what I did, but whatever ;p

Might as well point out that this potential game idea would probably push the Wii U's limits, if EVERYTHING was in there. We'll see. Wii U is apparently 2x more powerful than the Xbox 360 and I can't quite imagine this being on the 360. But then again I don' quite understand RAM and GB's and stuff. lol

Pikmin9003

Beautiful Scarlet Cloth
Aug 9, 2010
The Atmosphere
Mr-Chris said:
Don't you just click the 'WUL' button on the bottom right of a post? That's what I did, but whatever ;p

Might as well point out that this potential game idea would probably push the Wii U's limits, if EVERYTHING was in there. We'll see. Wii U is apparently 2x more powerful than the Xbox 360 and I can't quite imagine this being on the 360. But then again I don' quite understand RAM and GB's and stuff. lol

RAM is just the physical memory of something, like a PC system. I can't really get it any simpler then that.

GB is Gigabytes, which equals 1,000 Megabytes.

Dry_Bones

Zoidberg is back!
Nov 24, 2005
Mr-Chris said:

I just clicked on your name to WUL you, since I didn't see the option to in your post. Anyways, I really don't think this game would push the WiiU's limits at all. It's really just expanding upon what was introduced in Mario Kart 7. Not to mention, as Pikmin9003 said, WiiU discs will have tons of space, so from a technical standpoint, having 30 characters and 40 tracks is entirely possible.

FoxRox75 said:
I'll be happy so long as the retro tracks include GCN Mushroom City :)
Agreed. I was really hoping to see it in 3DS, but hopefully we'll see it in WiiU instead.

nhkawaguchi said:
yea this game is stretching the reality a bit.
good smarts pikmin9003
there isn't many casual racing tracks are there? Ex. raceway or circuit.
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean by stretching the reality. It's not like I'm expecting 50 characters and 70 tracks, or something ludicrous like that. All I'm expecting is 6 more characters than there were in Wii, and the same amount of tracks that were in Super Circuit. And yes, I have a fair share of raceways and circuits. Three new (Luigi Circuit, Mario Circuit, and Baby Circuit) and three old (DS Figure-8 Circuit, N64 Royal Raceway, and Wii Daisy Circuit).

Aug 31, 2011
I also think the game should include an online shop and an empty cup. you can use paid DLC (confirmed for Wii U) to get different retro tracks. This cup would only be accesible for single player and local multi-player. Another cool thing would be the feather item. it could make the short cut in N64 rainbow road possible. in addition to some other short cuts. I'm wondering if it should make you glide.

Feb 3, 2012
Kalimari Desert
I like your ideas, But I liked it better when had Grumble Volcano instead of Daisy Circuit. I also smile when see some of you new couses (Pirhana Park and Monty Mole Mines), while others I kind of question (King Boo Carnival?, Waluigi Billairds?, Peach Express?, Mute City?!?). Wuhu Island is one thing, seeing it as just some general Nintendo genre. Mute City is in F-Zero (which has been dead for, what, seven years?) and has it's own personal genre. It's Mario Kart, not Smash Bros. Not likely. I do like your retro courses though. I terms of characters, I cringe when i see all those babies. They should stay far, far away from the rooster. Also, switch Wiggler with Wario, he (she?) is not that heavy. I'm dissopointed that theres no R.O.B or Dry Bowser. I guess I'll post my own ideas. Feel free to comment (or not).

Featherweights:
Toad
Shy Guy
Koopa Troopa
Bandit (from Yoshi's Island)
Penguin
Kamek (Magikoopa)

Lightweights:
Hammer Bro.
Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Prof. E Gadd
Birdo

Middleweights:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Toadsworth
Mii

Cruiserweights
Rosilina
Waluigi
King Boo
Lubba
Wiggler
Wario

Heavyweights:
Petey Pirhana
Donkey Kong
R.O.B
Boom Boom
Dry Bowser
Bowser

Here are my Nitro Courses, like Dry Bones, I'll describe them later. Please don't think that I'm copying/challenging you. These are ideas that I had for quite some time.

Mushroom Cup:
Peach Circuit
Luigi's Farm
Delfino Carnival
Goomba Falls
Wuhu Cruiser (You know? The Queen Peach for Wii Sports Resort)

Flower Cup:
Cake Town
Blooper Boardwalk
Mario Circuit
Daisy Meadows
Dry Bone Dunes

Star Cup:
Waluigi Funhouse
Toad's Casino
Spear Guy Swamp
Banshee Boulevard
Outer Station

Lightning Cup:
Yoshi Stadium
D.K Ravine
Wario Quarry
Chain Chomp Factory
Bowser's Battleship

Special Cup:
Snowman Summit
Bug Bug Jungle
Mushroom Railway
Bowser Circuit
Rainbow Road

Coin Cup:
DS Figure-8 Circuit
GBA Cheese Land
3DS Music Park
SNES Bowser's Castle 2

Shell Cup:
Wii Toad's Factory
GCN Sherbet Land
N64 Royal Raceway
3DS Rock Rock Mountain

Banana Cup:
DS Mario circuit
Wii Dry Dry Ruins
SNES Koopa Beach 1
GBA Sunset Wilds

Leaf Cup:
GCN Mushroom City
3DS Pirhana Plant Slide
DS Tick Tock Clock
N64 Yoshi Valley

Veggie Cup:
GBA Ribbon Road
3DS Rosilina's Ice World
Wii Grumble Volcano
N64 Rainbow Road

I'll explain more later. For my next post, I'll explain items, karts, track description, and Mission Mode.

CrusherMania1592

Crush them all!
Apr 4, 2008
Where the wind flows
BlooperGuy4 said:
Mute City is in F-Zero (which has been dead for, what, seven years?) and has it's own personal genre. It's Mario Kart, not Smash Bros. Not likely.

Then explain this picture below:

[image=http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7d/BlueFalcon-BabyMario.png/250px-BlueFalcon-BabyMario.png]

Your roster was alright, but I'm confused how Toadsworth would fit in the middleweight class when Yoshi and Birdo are heavier than him. He's most likely gonna fit in feather.

Feb 3, 2012
Kalimari Desert
CrusherMania1592 said:
BlooperGuy4 said:
Mute City is in F-Zero (which has been dead for, what, seven years?) and has it's own personal genre. It's Mario Kart, not Smash Bros. Not likely.

Then explain this picture below:

[image=http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7d/BlueFalcon-BabyMario.png/250px-BlueFalcon-BabyMario.png]

Your roster was alright, but I'm confused how Toadsworth would fit in the middleweight class when Yoshi and Birdo are heavier than him. He's most likely gonna fit in feather.
All right, all right. You got me. But that's sorta different. Its not like whipping up a whole course compared to simply bringing back something an F-Zero icon since its first appearence. Then again, I did some reaserch, and apparently a rainbow road course appeared in the F-Zero series. Perhaps it's time to return the favor? Maybe not.

As for Toadsworth, I simply put him with the middlweights becuase 1) he's bigger than the average Toad and 2) the rest of the slots were full.

Btw ignore Goomba Falls, Cake Town, Spear Guy Swamp, Chain Chomp Factory, and Bug Bug Jungle. I realized I wasn't following the 40 courses rule, so I chief the 5 nitro course that are scrapped.