Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1162370p1.html]Man of Steel Plot Revealed?[/link]
by Jim Vejvoda

Summary:
The Superman reboot Man of Steel may reportedly draw from the Birthright comic storyline, with filming said to begin in Illinois this summer. [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1162370p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

jakob997

Noob
Apr 10, 2010
This whole origin thing is making me cringe.

Still, if the action and acting is good I guess I can suffice.

grapes9h5

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 9, 2009
I dont buy this at all. Im sure there will be some origin aspects, but given the flow this project has taken from its inception to now, it just doesn't fit right.

E

Esquire121

Original poster
no more origins! its been done in almost every movie...how bout some action

Kogssk

Noob
Jul 22, 2008
Birthright is great source material, and the ending can be twisted to Zod instead of *SPOILER*

Luthor

ZBaksh386

Noob
Mar 24, 2010
Cool.
just hope they use both luthor and zod as well as parasite and metallo as luthor's soldiers/expirements to fight zod and have superman get caught up in the middle.

Jun 18, 2008
It makes me rest easier if Goyer did more adapting from Mark Waid than he did coming up with his own stuff. I'm just afraid that Clark deciding to become Superman, something that should take 20 minutes, is going to take the entire movie. He needs to decide to be Superman as quick as Stark did Iron Man.

Go4thAndDie

Hit me.
Mar 28, 2009
Pacific Northwest
"the movie will cover Superman's life from infancy on"
Fantastic, because absolutely NOBODY knows Superman's origin. I swear, the more I read about this movie, the more I want Superman dead.

cwalsh84

Noob
Sep 29, 2009
I read that the origin won't be a straight orging story like that of the original but He will go back to Smallville to learn more about his Krptonian heritage and this is where his origin comes back into play. I am guess Zod will come into play within this version of his origin. So I am thinking we may see a slightly differnet origin that Donner's.

Jan 25, 2004
Birthright was a decent tale of trying to update Supes origin. Better than Johns' Secret Origin IMO.

I like this direction if they can pull it off, while introducing Zod.

pplhatr1

Noob
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I'm excited to for this movie, but there's just no reason to re-cover the origin in any detail. Every fricking person on the earth knows that Superman came from the loins of famous Kryptonian Godfather: Marlon Brando.

DevilmanEX

No Longer a Noob
Sep 29, 2003
They need to RELAX with the retelling of Supes ORIGIN dammit!! I want 120 minutes of Supes knowing who he is and trying to divert a HUGE threat to the planet and it NOT be Zod.... Lets get some Parasite or Braniac action. I KNOW Darkseid or Doomsday is waaay too much to ask.

Dec 22, 2009
This movie will be structured exactly like Batman Begins. At the start of the movie Clark will be trying to figure out who he is and what he wants to do with his life, then he will meet Zod who will explain how he wants to "save" earth. Then Clark will understand what his true intentions are and leave him. Probably something like Bruce Wayne did to Ras al Ghul. Then superman will "do" stuff. By the last 25 percent of the movie it will continue the Superman/Zod epic battle for earth.

HeroFace

Noob
Nov 25, 2009
AARRRRGHHH!!! STOP WITH THE ORIGINS STORY!!!!!! WE'VE HAD IT TWICE ON THE BIG SCREEN and I dont know if you've heard but there's bee a 10 year long super in depth retelling on TV since I was in college!!! I'm a few years shy of 30 dammit!... even kids that werent born are 10 now and i'm pretty sure by 10 years old your gonna know who superman is... get over yourselves and just make a superman movie..

Talk about ignoring the fans, as far as I can tel we didn't want ANOTHER origins story, we just wanted a superman movie where he actually has a fight.. against an equally stong or stronger evil dude.. would have rather it be someone who hasnt been done before but I have nothing against Zod, just origins stories. The new hulk movie had it right... quick refresher during the opening credits is all thats necessary

Apr 6, 2011
Agreed. Origins stories have become stale...especially with the big names whom people who don't read comics or bother going to the movies know (Superman, Spider-man, Iron man, Batman).

May 10, 2010
OK, so why would anyone want to sit for most likely 2hrs plus to see another origin story of a character that has had it done allready???? I mean come on there are so many other avenues that you can go down with the character. I love Superman, but if this is true and its another origin story I will not be seeing this film. I would expect alot more from Synder, Goyer, and Nolan. Please Hollywood get it right for once. ENOUGH WITH THE $#%^ ORIGIN STORIES!!!!

BIGBMH

Star
Nov 25, 2008
I really hope this is true.
@Everyone who's against the origin, Read this.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BIGBMH/news/?a=27525

Jan 7, 2008
add doomsday kill superman and u have a great movie that ppl will be like yes that just happened our protagonist died awesome and everyone will want to see the return of superman come on holly wood u suck

SimplyJoe

Noob
Dec 9, 2010
i love superman but this movie will suck. another origin story, supes finding out he has powers in his 20s. this will suck

petes12

Noob
May 4, 2009
Anyone else sick of the stupid doomsday comments? That story didn't even make a good direct to dvd movie.

Dec 12, 2010
I really wouldn't be surprised if Zod appeared in Metropolis first, rather than Superman. Just as Clark starts to feel like he doesn't belong in Metropolis, two Kryptonians looking like Jor-El and Lara show up, displaying their abilities without abandon where as Clark is having trouble hiding them.

davidpelan

Noob
Mar 24, 2011
I'm glad they're not just limiting locations to the US. Whilst other Supes movies have featured foreign locations, it was never a significant plot feature. Just put in there for the sake of it. Or they tried to make it a plot feature but just had it looking stupid (see Superman 3-saving the coffee harvest). What I AM exceptionally curious of is whether they'll retain John Williams Superman March or cut a new theme. I know it worked with Nolan's Batman and to great effect but John Williams' theme is damn close to flawless!

Aug 30, 2010
Sigh.... well that sounds awful. I would rather see them do more with the cast of the last season of Smallville and some of the nonsensical story arcs they've had their than wade through another awful superman movie...like passing a stone...oh well- still have Young Justice...

gedec05

Noob
Mar 19, 2003
Ugh, another origin story. This is worse to stomach than the terrible special effects for the skinny Steve Rogers in the new Captain America movie.

gsxrnomad

Noob
Nov 9, 2010
And I thought this 'remake' was going to suck. Now I know it's going to blow chunks! Tiny Sups, fat Lois and no fights. Clark boo-hooing and wondering what to do and Zod has to show him? Really? He has to go to Smallville to learn his origins? Gack! Yep, just thru up my brecky.

Jun 16, 2008
My comment is embarrassed to appear next to some of these whiny fanboy comments...

They could do worse than draw inspiration from Birthright, but if the story features Zod and no Lex Luthor, it can't be a straight adaptation of Birthright...

James696P

Noob
Oct 29, 2008
One question: will they bring Non and Ursa back with Zod? I ask mainly because of Non, if he's in it they're going to have to be careful in explaining why the hero of Truth, Justice and the American way is beating up who's basically a mentally disabled person..

James696P

Noob
Oct 29, 2008
Who says that this is going to be an origin story? For all we know, the film could be opening in West Africa right at the moment where he returns home and decides to become a superhero.

James696P

Noob
Oct 29, 2008
@TheDude2420 The 'Death and Return of Superman' storyline was terrible. Trying to make Superman 'edgy' was the point where I stopped reading comics in the 90s.

You can't start a Superman film series with Doomsday or Darkseid, you just can't. Those two characters need entire films just to explain their backstories.

StarWarsTrek

If adventure has a name...
Sep 18, 2000
the planet Earth
I'm really torn about Superman: The Man of Steel. I will go see it when it comes out next year, and I'm rooting for it to have a great story and decent acting. But, I'm very worried that the plot may be going in similar directions that Superman Returns' plot was going before Bryan Singer came on board and put it on-course. (If you've seen the documentary Requiem For Krypton, specifically the section about what producer Jon Peters envisioned the movie to be like before Bryan Singer came on board as director, you'll know what I'm talking about!) I also enjoyed Superman Returns a great deal, and am extremely disappointed that Bryan Singer wasn't allowed to make a sequel to it. I guess we'll never really know for sure whether or not Jason is Superman's son.

Oct 11, 2011
For a reboot, an origin story would be appropriate. That way the filmmakers will treat this as an original, not a sequel. And the audience should be informed of this, for the sake of no more fanboy whining that it wasn't like the older Superman. Bleh.

Aug 11, 2004
A reboot should have an origin story unless you are going to take a different story telling approach and reveal an origin over an arc non-chronologically.

I think they are going to turn some Superman lore on its ear in this new story and Im all for that.

Nov 20, 2011
A reboot should have an origin story unless you are going to take a different story telling approach and reveal an origin over an arc non-chronologically.

I think they are going to turn some Superman lore on its ear in this new story and Im all for that.

No, they don't. Nearly everyone has seen the Superman origins. Smallville, cartoon DVDs, etc. Besides, Superman's origin is ten times more known of than the existence of Oswald the Rabbit.

Aug 11, 2004
Yes. It should. Which origin story are you, as a filmmaker, going to assume the entire audience will be using as prior knowledge of a character in a live action film, especially when said character is meant to be a retelling and departure from previous incarnations (of which there are several in comic book form alone)...