Jun 12, 2006
Midgar
Really? Why would they fired their staff that helped the franchise winning 2 rings in three seasons is just dumb. What were they thinking???

dquigley

titleless
Sep 20, 2003
A lot easier to replace a coach than a bunch of players. Another first round exit and Quenneville will see the door too.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
The Hawks took the unconventional step of firing an assistant coach, Mike Kitchen, after this season's exit. And it wasn't a case of the head coach firing his assistant - management fired Kitchen against Quenneville's wishes.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
I was rather surprised Lombardi got fired too, but that usually means that management wanted the coach gone and the GM wouldn't do it, so they both go. Sutter has a clear shelf life, and one playoff win in three years with a rapidly aging and declining core isn't an environment he can thrive in, as seen these past few years.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
But the Kings were the #1 team in Corsi this year!

I am beginning to wonder if this firing is going to be paired with bringing in a new regime that is fiercely against analytics.

dquigley

titleless
Sep 20, 2003
The Hawks took the unconventional step of firing an assistant coach, Mike Kitchen, after this season's exit. And it wasn't a case of the head coach firing his assistant - management fired Kitchen against Quenneville's wishes.

Yes, I take it as a "you're next" message more than anything. Though another bad year should threaten Bowman's job too.