D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
You know what? Fuck it. I did a lot of work ahead of the weekend so I could have some time. Looks like I'll be going through Sons of Liberty after all.

assassinscreedguy

No Longer a Noob
Mar 29, 2012
You know, I feel filthy saying this, but I can barely stand to play MGS2 anymore. I just can't get past the weird PS2-era camera mechanics.

D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
It amazes me how well optimized that game was. I played original Sons of Liberty (not substance) on my fat PS2 yesterday. I kept looking around the various environments and looked at the incredible level of detail that was put into the game, coupled with a normally smooth framerate. There are some PS2 games that look like shit but MGS2 is easily one of the very best looking and playing. MGS2 was well optimized for the console it was built for, you can see the amount of care that was put into creating it. No day one patches, no continual patches for months at a time to fix a broken launch product, none of that. It is so common today, so it's nice to go back and play a game where they used to finish and test the games before they hit the shelves. Back when developers had pride in their products. Now they just rush crap out of the door and "patch it later." What we get on launch is like a beta version of the game.

Then they lock parts of the story or other content away on DLC or microtransactions. I like playing and meeting conditions within the game to earn special unlockables, not pay for them.

Top-31-Humorous-Signs-How-Modern-Gadgets-Have-Changed-The-World-17.jpg

MGS2 just has so much content packed into it, so much attention to detail, and it really showcased what the system was capable of with a level of refinement that is seldom encountered these days. This game will be 15 years old this year, which makes me feel like a cranky old man.

Last edited:

MGSDan

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 5, 2004
It's also the day Raiden and Rose met.
For some reason that's how I remember the date.
Nostalgia, so sweet and yet so bitter...
I can see it and even feel it but I can't quite touch it.