Azatis

Noob
Sep 6, 2017
Somewhere in Europe
I was thinking the other day if its possible this game to be finished by a single person without any kind of external tip, video or post about stats, places, items or boss tips Not even one tip. Is there anyone out there that sincerely finished the game all alone without a single tip from any source or friend and if yes how long did it take you ?

Im going crazy with DS personally, cant think myself finish this without any help

Last edited:

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
While I did use tips, it doesn't seem like they're necessary. All the basics are straightforward enough (especially if you don't use magic), and tips are either for advanced and/or hidden things or to get un-stuck if you don't know what direction to go next, and that's mostly a time-saving measure.

//By posting this, you have delved into looking at tips. Maybe just a little, but the threshold has been crossed

And most early reviewers did it without tips, if only because they weren't published yet

Azatis

Noob
Sep 6, 2017
Somewhere in Europe
While I did use tips, it doesn't seem like they're necessary. All the basics are straightforward enough (especially if you don't use magic), and tips are either for advanced and/or hidden things or to get un-stuck if you don't know what direction to go next, and that's mostly a time-saving measure.

//By posting this, you have delved into looking at tips. Maybe just a little, but the threshold has been crossed

And most early reviewers did it without tips, if only because they weren't published yet

I finished Dark souls with tips, there was no way in one million years to finish that game without a single tip. Specially some hidden places and where some vital items were.

I currently started DS 2 and is a totally different experience. I decided to not use a single tip from any source and with this game it works. Some experience from original DS for sure helped but theres a far better structure as of where to go and what to do next than original and makes it a far
better experience because any kind of tips and walkthrough ruining my experience, something happened in an excessive manner with original DS.

I think theres no way for someone to finish DS all alone without see a tip left or right. And if you ask me i dont see it as a good thing, more like a non sense that you have to guess everything by yourself. You fucked up stats ? Oh well... You missed that foggy wall ? Oh well..

DS2 does a far better job and is a way better experience for now to me and i cant wait to finish DS2 and get to DS3.

Last edited:

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
What exactly is absolutely necessary that you couldn't figure out from the game itself?

If you make a mental note of any doors you come across, there aren't any vital ones that would be missed out on (the most confusing, IMO, is when to use the door that leads down to where the Capra Demon is, but it's hardly hidden)

A magic user might have a more difficult time without the crown of dusk, which is a bit convoluted to get if you don't know where to get it, and you might miss it without using a guide, but it's still possible without it.

Melee users have no such block, and can just plow through. Even the default equipment (once upgraded) is viable for end-game, and upgrading is obvious. Every ember is just lying in the world ready to be picked up in fairly obvious places, so upgrading equipment to max is simple enough.

Every enemy (including bosses) does a decent enough job at teaching how to defeat it.

Azatis

Noob
Sep 6, 2017
Somewhere in Europe
What exactly is absolutely necessary that you couldn't figure out from the game itself?

If you make a mental note of any doors you come across, there aren't any vital ones that would be missed out on (the most confusing, IMO, is when to use the door that leads down to where the Capra Demon is, but it's hardly hidden)

A magic user might have a more difficult time without the crown of dusk, which is a bit convoluted to get if you don't know where to get it, and you might miss it without using a guide, but it's still possible without it.

Melee users have no such block, and can just plow through. Even the default equipment (once upgraded) is viable for end-game, and upgrading is obvious. Every ember is just lying in the world ready to be picked up in fairly obvious places, so upgrading equipment to max is simple enough.

Every enemy (including bosses) does a decent enough job at teaching how to defeat it.

But till this day i know noone who finished the game himself without a single tip, isnt this the biggest proof that there arent many, if any, that figured out everything in the game ? I dont think if game was doing a fine job people would rely in tips to advance.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018
Well, I think that it is not necessary to get tips to play a game, but yes it is necessary to complete it till end. [face_tongue] I start playing with basics but before some time I realize that I need tips from some expert or who at least completed or played this game before. My advice is, start playing by yourself but if you feel any difficulty, there is no harm in taking advice instead of getting stuck in the same level. I cannot imagine myself completing dark soul without any help or tip, I too used tips to complete it.[snowman]

StrwHatCptLuffy

King Of The Pirates
Nov 25, 2020
Tampa
I finished Dark souls with tips, there was no way in one million years to finish that game without a single tip. Specially some hidden places and where some vital items were.

I currently started DS 2 and is a totally different experience. I decided to not use a single tip from any source and with this game it works. Some experience from original DS for sure helped but theres a far better structure as of where to go and what to do next than original and makes it a far
better experience because any kind of tips and walkthrough ruining my experience, something happened in an excessive manner with original DS.

I think theres no way for someone to finish DS all alone without see a tip left or right. And if you ask me i dont see it as a good thing, more like a non sense that you have to guess everything by yourself. You fucked up stats ? Oh well... You missed that foggy wall ? Oh well..

DS2 does a far better job and is a way better experience for now to me and i cant wait to finish DS2 and get to DS3.
DS2 without any tips? Who are you?

Killer_K1

No Longer a Noob
Dec 18, 2004
Definitely doable we just live in an age were the information is too easy to access to ignore. I tried to with 3 but didn't know where to go when it wasn't letting me into irythyll and found out I'd skipped the entire cathedral of the deep area lol

StrwHatCptLuffy

King Of The Pirates
Nov 25, 2020
Tampa
Definitely doable we just live in an age were the information is too easy to access to ignore. I tried to with 3 but didn't know where to go when it wasn't letting me into irythyll and found out I'd skipped the entire cathedral of the deep area lol
I can def see that happening lol

RHWarrior

DhK Warrior
Jul 8, 2008
Midgard
Well I played DS1 blind the first time I tried it. Sometimes hilarity ensued.... getting to firelink shrine, then speeding to New Londo and not being able to hit ghosts. Running into the Catacombs and noticing skeletons keep reanimating, getting a feeling some weapon or weapon mod might help but not having an exact idea which, then backtracking. Trying to face tank Gaping Dragon with a barely upgraded short sword and not repositioning much (=you died). Accidentally hitting the blacksmith before sen's fortress... lol. And so on.

You guys get the idea. 😉

StrwHatCptLuffy

King Of The Pirates
Nov 25, 2020
Tampa
Well I played DS1 blind the first time I tried it. Sometimes hilarity ensued.... getting to firelink shrine, then speeding to New Londo and not being able to hit ghosts. Running into the Catacombs and noticing skeletons keep reanimating, getting a feeling some weapon or weapon mod might help but not having an exact idea which, then backtracking. Trying to face tank Gaping Dragon with a barely upgraded short sword and not repositioning much (=you died). Accidentally hitting the blacksmith before sen's fortress... lol. And so on.

You guys get the idea. 😉
god damn. sounds like you had a tough time with DS1 lol

StrwHatCptLuffy

King Of The Pirates
Nov 25, 2020
Tampa
Well, those were kinda the highlights, it was good fun! Next attempt I did some reading up on gear upgrades, so at least I kept 1 weapon in good shape, that usually does the trick.
yes sir. I 100% the DS1 Remastered... Took me 98 hours to do it. So hard to get everything

May 15, 2023
I finished the three dark souls on my PC. When I played I remember trying to avoid any kind of tips and gameplays, but it's impossible to avoid all tips, there are a lot of information in the internet. Especially on youtube.