Jun 9, 2011
I'm not sure if there is a shield, but you can just use your transient curses. That will allow you to block with any shield. Equip the item drop ring and you should get them more than you use them. I started New Londo with 2 transient curses I finished with over 20.

YukiOkami

Noob
Feb 18, 2009
don't forget about the fire keep's soul out in that platform. Theirs a small slightly hidden bridge you go there on. Careful though, i think four ghost's pounce you on the small bridge.

May 16, 2011
ah ha... I haven't been using the transient curses at all. I have the Cursed Greatsword of Astoria and it will hit the ghosts without using any other items.

Been going through the level just dodging around their hits. Already got the fire keeper souls a bit ago.
Was just curious about the blocking. Forgot all about those curse things haha

theweezul

Noob
Oct 8, 2010
Where do you get the item drop ring? These ghosts are annoying and I can't afford to keep buying curses.

Tjuanso

Noob
Oct 15, 2011
Use transient curse. You can attack and block with non-cursed weapons/shields after using.

May 16, 2011
Just a thought here...

Since the Cursed Great Sword of Artorias will engage the ghosts and kill them in one kit WITHOUT using the Transient Curse... then PERHAPS the Great Shield of Artorias will block the ghost hits without the Transient Curses

One the way to make that bad boy right now

Kalibak1

Noob
Oct 18, 2011
I have the Greatshield of Artorias and it doesn't block the ghost's attack, which is lame cause if the sword can hit em why can't the shield block em qq.

May 16, 2011
Kalibak1 said:
I have the Greatshield of Artorias and it doesn't block the ghost's attack, which is lame cause if the sword can hit em why can't the shield block em qq.

That is rather odd.... designers should have thought of that at least

ToastyLoaf

Noob
Oct 11, 2011
OnYxCommander said:
Just a thought here...

Since the Cursed Great Sword of Artorias will engage the ghosts and kill them in one kit WITHOUT using the Transient Curse... then PERHAPS the Great Shield of Artorias will block the ghost hits without the Transient Curses

I believe the only reason you can hit them is because you have the Cursed version of the Great Sword of Artorias. I guess you could say it is similar to being cursed and being able to hit the ghosts. I could be mistaken though since I haven't read up or played Dark Souls in awhile.

cardinalbird7

SIU Basketball
Nov 11, 2004
^^^Yeah he is right.  The Jagged ghost blade or whatever can hurt them too.  Any weapon with a curse element can hurt them.  I don't think the Shield you make from the wolf is cursed though.  I don't think any shields are.

ToastyLoaf

Noob
Oct 11, 2011
cardinalbird7 said:
^^^Yeah he is right.  The Jagged ghost blade or whatever can hurt them too.  Any weapon with a curse element can hurt them.  I don't think the Shield you make from the wolf is cursed though.  I don't think any shields are.
WOO!!!! I'm right!! [face_dancing]

Oct 14, 2015
Actually, the Cursed sword is made by sif's soul, and is Cursed. There is also a regular greatsword of artorius. This is from the same era as the shield. This was from before the sword got cursed, which is why it can't block the ghosts

Oct 14, 2015
OnYxCommander said:
Just a thought here...

I believe the only reason you can hit them is because you have the Cursed version of the Great Sword of Artorias. I guess you could say it is similar to being cursed and being able to hit the ghosts. I could be mistaken though since I haven't read up or played Dark Souls in awhile.
That is, in fact the reason. Any cursed weapon can hurt them, as any cursed shield would block them. If you are cursed (by the basilisks, for example) than anything could attack or block them.

Oct 14, 2015
Kalibak1 said:

That is rather odd.... designers should have thought of that at least
The designers did think of this, the sword made from sif's soul is actualy cursed, and from a different time than the shield. There's also a regular Greatsword of Artorius, and it is also from before the sword got cursed.