Elvenking1985

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 2, 2015
Colder part of Earth
I had a few friends who listen to rap and pop and pretty much everything and I've dedicated most of my life to Metal music i found that it's a genre that's always changing always evolving with the times and although some bands are laughable and some are jokes there are still quite a few bands that are withstanding the test of time and new bands that are proving Metal is one of the few genres of music that will not die and will continue to evolve.

dcbesc

No Longer a Noob
Jun 5, 2003
It's evolving and certain sub-genres that were popular during the last decade seem to be less popular now, melodic death for example. It seems like tech-death and djent are what's hot right now in the more underground scene, or maybe that's just where my taste has been lately.

barongimpy

Prime Member
Feb 23, 2001
I think most sub-genres of metal are in a state of stagnation. I still find some interesting stuff prog metal but the majority of sub-genres have suffered from over saturation the last decade or so. There is a distinct lack of potential stadium-filler superstar bands to fill the boots of Metallica and Iron Maiden when they're gone also.

It'll come again though. Exciting periods are usually preceeded by a meh time.

AGrumpyAnt

Noob
Apr 9, 2015
It does evolve, not always in a good way. Some of the 'metal' these days makes me cringe.Theres always some good bands around though, it does however feel as I get older (mid 30's now) that the more popular stuff is getting worse then what I had in the early 90's. And getting worse then Limp Bizkit is a pretty hardcore achievement. Saying that the generation before me probably thought the same as I do now about the bands I grew up with

Branden_Lucero

No Longer a Noob
Dec 15, 2007
i think its evolving in a good way, just not in America. have you heard how generic the modern American shit is? its almost like, i can't stand the music in my own country anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I mainly jam to 70's and 80's metal. Though I do like alot of recent metal bands I find that many are either too different from the traditional metal I enjoy, or too similar in that they bring absolutely nothing new. Can't win haha

SatoshiNak

Noob
Dec 14, 2015
Houston, Texas
I don't think it is going to die any time soon but it for me there just isn't much I can get into. I like Dead Congregation, but most of the death metal I hear sounds close to the same, there are a ton of black and hybrid black metal bands putting out stuff but I've never been able to get into it, really. For the most part, I find myself listening to the old stuff I grew-up with, it's kind of hard for me as I got into metal in the early 80s and came-up through that golden age of metal and as good musicianship as some of these new bands may have, there just aren't the great songs being written - then again, maybe I'm just getting old.

Isaacfalls

Noob
Jan 22, 2016
It's evolving bro
2016 - New Killswitch Engage Album, new I killed the prom queen album, new Invent, Animate album

MisterForumAccount

No Longer a Noob
Sep 25, 2015
it's sorta evolving but most groundwork is done through outsider acts that won't actually have any lasting effect so it's not really evolving.

MisterForumAccount

No Longer a Noob
Sep 25, 2015
mainstream artists, aka artists that are known by people, tend to have the most obvious lasting impressions. Apator was a flare. Anubi was a flare. Mamaleek and jute gyte and the like will be flares too. It doesn't mean that only mainstream counts (and mainstream evolves it's just not in a way that has clean progressions towards new sounds) it just means that extremities will be constantly in the fringes.

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
Personally, I'd say not to look at those in the spotlight in metal and always look towards the fringes. That's where the real movement and exciting things are happening. I get what you're saying, but I kind of work in the mindset that mainstream metal doesn't exist or it doesn't count so I only look at those bands that I'm into for whether or not it's going places. Maybe that's a little close minded, but I just kind of think metal as a whole is shit. So if I look at the big picture, yeah, fuck it, who cares? It really hasn't grown much in that sense. But when I look at a band like Mgla, I have to think that there is a bright future for metal. We've also got acts like Altarage just kind of starting up that, sure, are biting Portal a bit hard but it's still great music. Then there is someone like Chthe'ilist who seemingly bridges together that unique atmospheric death metal style of Portal with... I don't know... kind of proggy death metal with it's all over bass and guitar solos? But yeah, maybe a lot of people will never hear these bands but I look at it as a sign that it's very alive. To me, metal lives on it's fringes.

May 25, 2016
Honestly, it is stagnant. But that's what happens with all art forms after a few decades, you can only push the merits of something so far until ultimately you cannot do anything else with it. The same thing applies to Literature, we pushed what we could do with it, we experimented with it, found new styles and prose until ultimately now we cannot do nothing else with it. With Art there is only so much we as a society can do with it until ultimate we've drained it all of it's inventiveness.