Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie-IGN

Prime Member
Feb 22, 2011
** Please use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to properly view mark-up. Mark-up has been disabled on Microsoft Internet Explorer. **

As you know, Dragon Age 2 is a huge-normous game and I feel like I'm just one person chiseling flecks away on a rock the size of Texas. As such, the process of writing the guide is painfully slow and also would suffer from the lack of depth and accuracy that it'd otherwise easily attain with the help of a unified community. So, I now turn to the one place where a myriad of experts on the game gather: here at the IGN boards.

If you have anything outside of the main walkthrough or quests to add, such as resource locations, craft recipes, equipment, talent builds, just any tidbit of info that would really make this IGN guide as (the most) comprehensive as possible, please let me know! I'll comb through the boards every day to figure out what can be translated into guide language.

Please don't hesitate to point out errors as well. Like I said, I am only one person with so much time; documenting everything in this game is a monumental task that would probably take years to do on my own. I can't promise that everything discussed here will make it into the guide nor that I will be able to respond to everyone, but you have my heartfelt thanks for any effort you put up!

[link=http://faqs.ign.com/articles/115/1157431p1.html]Dragon Age 2 Walkthrough[/link] by Daniel Acaba

Dragon Age 2 - Act 1 - Companion Side-Quests

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_39.html]Family History (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Before obtaining any key item, the main and most important requirement to beginning this quest is, to even making this quest possible, is Carver's surviving through the Prologue. Without him, this quest ceases to be.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_38.html]Birthright (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Birthright is obtained after visiting Gamlen's hovel for the first time. Carver is deeply troubled by these family issues and is intent on discovering his place in society. Speak with mother to update the quest. After vocalizing his thoughts on his deadbeat of an uncle, you can convince Carver to dig deeper into his family legacy--there must be something there. And that something can be found in Darktown.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_40.html]Fenris Recruited (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Reach out to Fenris once you've completed the Bait and Switch quest. If he's not already in the party, he can be found cooped up in the mansion (named Fenris' Mansion on the world map) that you helped exorcise.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_66.html]Isabela's Contact / Finder's Keepers (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Information on Isabela's Contact becomes available after she joins the party upon the conclusion of Fools Rush In. When she's not traveling with the party, she can be found nowhere else but waist-deep in swill at The Hanged Man ... As continued from Isabela's Contact, the quest's originator is found holed up in his room in The Hanged Man.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_42.html]The Way It Should Be (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

You receive this quest after recruiting Aveline back into your ranks. This is a short side quest that means a lot to Aveline, as such she would be ever grateful for the completion of this favor.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_55.html]Nice Crime You Have 'Round Here (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Talk to Merrill after Black Powder Promise or Wayward Son.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_41.html]Questions and Answers (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Speak with Varric at the Hanged Man pub.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_56.html]Talk to Anders (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Note topic. Once Anders has agreed to lend you his aid, return to his clinic and speak with the terribly disturbed mage.

[link=http://guides.ign.com/guides/80342/page_43.html]Welcome Home Merril (read more on IGN.com)[/link]

Upon completion of A Long Way Home, speak with Merrill in her new home.

More [link=http://faqs.ign.com/objects/080/080342.html]Dragon Age 2 Walkthroughs[/link]. Have something to share? [link=http://faqs.ign.com/submit_faq.html]Contribute[/link] to IGN.

dgs1up

Noob
Aug 22, 2008
Thought I would share my blood mage build...

Stats: Upgrade Magic/Will to use any equipment you want first then upgrade Magic/Con 2/1, i I had:
50 Magic
36 Willpower
28 Con
(you really don't need as much con as you think because of 1:2 health:mana + a couple blood mage items and your good)

Blood Mage: blood magic, blood slave, and hemorrhage(works amazing with Rogue's Fatiguing Fog)

Spirit Healer: upgrade pre-reqs till you can get Vitality, 10 constitution and +100 regen pretty much gives you an unlimited health pool. Also the upgraded revival skill is pretty awesome as well.

Primal: Chain Lightning, Rock Armor, Galvanism

Elemental: Winter's Grasp (seems to pierce resistance does nice instant solo dmg and freeze), Firestorm is just savage with Pyromancer and Elemental Mastery.

This build you can take out pretty much anything that comes along with ease.

Iv got more stuff for you soon...

Stephanie-IGN

Prime Member
Feb 22, 2011
Very cool, stuff! Yes, people are definitely interested in very specific builds. That Blood Mage one looks pretty good.

And I had an idea of what I'd gotten myself into. I do get paid for this after all. At least Dragon Age 2 is a game I can tolerate sinking months of my life into! =)

Robbie922004

No Data Available
Apr 19, 2005
Companion armor upgrades locations (got this info from VideoGamesBlogger and The Dragon Age Wiki):

Bethany/Carver:

Act 1: Ferelden Girded Plating (Carver) and Heirloom Amell Prtective Sigils (Bethany) can be found on the quest "Birthright".

Aveline:

•Act 1: Underpadding – Guardsman Pattern at Armor Stand in Lowtown.
•Act 2: Impact Plating – Guardsman Pattern at Armor Stand in Lowtown.
•Act 2: Flex-Chain – Guardsman Pattern can be found during the Quest: “Raiders on the Cliffs.”
•Act 3: Deflecting Joints – Guardsman Pattern can be found during the Quest: “Favor and Fault.”

Varric:

•Act 1: Inscribed Leather Harness can be bought at Apparel Shop in Lowtown.
•Act 2: Coat Lining with Concealed Pockets can be bought at Shady Merchandise at the Docks.
•Act 2: Silverite-Reinforced Buckles can be found during Quest: “Family Matter.”
•Act 3: Drakeskin Leg Straps can be found during the Quest: “Finding Nathaniel"

Anders:

•Act 2: Armor Suits can be bought at Lirene’s Ferelden Imports in Lowtown.
•Act 2: Lyrium Weave can be bought at Mage Goods in Gallows Courtyard.
•Act 2: Spirit Essence can be found during the Quest: “Dissent.”
•Act 3: Sigil of the Mage Underground can be found during the Quest: “Best Served Cold.”

Merrill:

•Act 2: Samite Lining can be bought at Robes by Jean Luc in Hightown.
•Act 2: Carved Ironwood Buttons can be bought at Ilen’s Crafts in Sundermount.
•Act 2: Silver-Threaded Dalish Embroidery can be found the at top of Sundermount.
•Act 3: Halla Horn Buckles during the Quest: “A New Path.”

Isabela:

•Act 2: Rigid Boning can be bought at Apparel Shop in Lowtown.
•Act 2: Supportive Corselet can be bought at Robes by Jean Luc in Hightown.
•Act 2: Lambswool Insoles during the Quest: “To Catch a Thief.”
•Act 3: Boiled Leather Plates during the Quest: “A Murder of Crows.”

Fenris:

•Act 2: Tevinter Spirit Symbol can be bought at Robes by Jean Luc in Hightown.
•Act 2: Lyrium Scales can be bought at Shady Merchandise at the Docks.
•Act 2: Reinforced Straps can be found during the Quest: “A Bitter Pill.”
•Act 3: Enchanted Resin can be found during the Quest: “Mine Massacre.”

Sebastian:

•Act 2: Enchanted Articulation can be bought at Armor Shop at Gallows Courtyard.
•Act 2: Reinforced Bracers can be bought at Olaf’s Armory in Hightown.
•Act 2: Mail Undertunic can be found during the Quest: “Repentance.”
•Act 3: Protection of the Faith can be found during the Quest: “Best Served Cold.”

Gifts:

Bethany/Carver:

Tobrius’s Documents for Carver and Portrait of Your Mother for Bethany, these both can be found during the Quest: Birthright

Aveline:

The Shield of the Knight Herself can be found during Act 2 in the Quest: “Offered and Lost.”

Varric:

The Tethras Signet Ring can be found during Act 2 in the Quest: “Trinkets Emporium in Lowtown.”

Anders:

Tevinter Chantry Amulet can be found in Act 2 during the Quest: “A Bitter Pill.”

Merrill:

•Wooden Halla Carving can be bought in Act 2 at Ilen’s Crafts in Sundermount.
•Sylvanwood Ring will be found on the remains of the Thief Leader in Act 3 during the Quest: “A Murder of Crows.”

Isabela:

•Ship in a Bottle in Act 2 during the Quest: Blackpowder Courtesy.”
•Rivaini Talisman in Act 3 can be found in Disused Passage on the Docks.

Fenris:

•The Book of Shartan can be bought in Act 2 at Elven Alienage in Lowtown.
•Blade of Mercy can be found in Act 3 during the Quest: “Best Served Cold.”

Sebastian:

Starkhaven Longbow can be found during in Act 2 in Quest: “Repentance.”

Forgive my lack of markup but I'm on IE it wuld be a waste of time for me to do anyway.

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
Robbie922004 said:
Forgive my lack of markup but I'm on IE it wuld be a waste of time for me to do anyway.
Don't worry about it. It looks fine. Thanks Robbie.

powersp

No Longer a Noob
Jul 30, 2003
HELL
teh_pwnerer23 said:
Well, ummm. I'll add stuff if you give me a specific, I'm not that creative.

LOL

OK. I gotta give up the cred here to my man Robbie for the info, but how about CUN requirements for traps and locks?

10= Simple
20= Standard
30= Complex
40= Master

Wenches_N_Rum

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 12, 2008
Stupid question, but since this is a guide, then I shouldn't have to write SPOILERS before giving info correct?

From my first play-through, I know that Merril's armor can change after you make PG bow chicka wow wow. I was also able to change Anders' armor to a sick looking black one called "Rebel Robes" or something like that.

I'll definitely add more info when I get a chance.

Stephanie-IGN

Prime Member
Feb 22, 2011
Yeah, we want to avoid spoilers unless it's absolutely necessary to include. Thanks for the great info so far guys!

As for specificity, I think character builds, romances, resources, etc. all would be fantastic info people would look for.

Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I found a quick way to gain "Friendship" Pts for your Character Relationships.
Fenris - Hates Mages, so pretty much just kill blood mages and make mages go back to the Circle.
Varris - Is not affected by Templar/Mage talk, you'll only gain Rivalry by Negative Comments towards Civilians.
Merrill - Use the NICE responses.
Aveline - You have to change up between all 3 responses, it's easiest to gain her Friendship by doing her relationship quest with Guardsman Donnic
Anders - Hates Templars, so side with the Mages at every chance.
Isabela - Same as Varric.

Fenris is the most difficult to gain Friendship from because he likes it when you're rude to people, and usually if someone else is in your party, Fenris will gain Friendship Pts and you'll lose them with someone else. But if you Isolate your party between Fenris/Varric you gain get Fenris' Friendship up relatively quick when you side with the mages. Once you've locked in a Friendship/Rivalry you no longer have to worry about what you say to people.
You also gain a lot of pts by just talking to your Party Members when you get the chance, give gifts, and arrange party members based on Quest Types. Aveline doesn't like it when you take her on "Illegal" Quests, so use her on "Legal" ones. Relationships are a quick way too, you don't have to sleep with available characters, just use the responses to boost points.

Mar 10, 2004
my strategy for this game is not to play it, because only bad things happen to hawke! (see my mental health thread)

and don't make friends/romance anders. he's a terrorist. literally.

Wenches_N_Rum

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 12, 2008
breathicyMcOwnage said:
my strategy for this game is not to play it, because only bad things happen to hawke! (see my mental health thread)

and don't make friends/romance anders. he's a terrorist. literally.

Not to derail this thread, but I prefer the term "freedom fighter."

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
Stephanie-IGN said:
Wenches_N_Rum said:
Stupid question, but since this is a guide, then I shouldn't have to write SPOILERS before giving info correct?
Yeah, we want to avoid spoilers unless it's absolutely necessary to include.
Spoil away. Topic edited to give forewarning.

Please remember the mark-up (where you [hl=orange]highlight crap[/hl] to black out/redact spoilers) won't work for readers on Internet Explorer (all of them ...), only Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome (not sure about Opera).

Status
Not open for further replies.