NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005

Welcome to IGN-MLB. As it stands, we have one more slot open: the Colorado Rockies. If you are interested in filling that slot, please send me a PM.

We also still need @BuffRustpeck and @Zeratul65 to confirm their participation for the Rockies and Twins, respectively.

Rulebook
All of your questions about roster construction, the draft, salary cap and much more can be found in the rulebook linked above. If you have any questions, PM both me and RNR.

The Major League Draft
The IGN-MLB Major League Draft will commence on January 4th, 2021 at 8 p.m. EST. There will be a draft clock of 24 hours. All the rules, including who and who isn’t eligible for the draft, can be found in the rulebook. Draft order will be determined at a later date.

The Minor League Draft
The IGN-MLB Minor League Draft will commence sometime after the Major League Draft is completed.

Universal DH
This league will have a universal DH.

Platform
All sims will be run through Out of the Park Baseball 22. After each season, we will move to the newest version of OOTP.

IGN-MLB Calendar
We will follow the real life MLB calendar as much as possible, at the discretion of the commissioners. However, if MLB doesn’t have a 162 game season in 2021, we are not bound to such constraints. We will have a full 162 game season in our fake world.

Discord
We have a Discord. I believe most of you are already in it. If you are not, and want an invite, please send me a PM and I’ll get you an invite. However, please keep official business to threads and PMs. Trade discussion on Discord is fine.

Helpful Links

Last edited:

MVP_21Cubs

Star
Jul 23, 2004
Bar is set pretty low for me fielding a better Orioles squad than real life, I can't wait to do a worse job.

Oct 14, 2009
I'm in and would prefer to take Cleveland, Indians or Spiders, don't care. I just don't want to deal with Coors Field in sims.

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
We need one more GM to take the Rockies. If you know of anybody interested, please let me know.

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Gentlemen - the time has come to unveil the draft order for the inaugural IGN-MLB draft. I used this website to randomize the order, for those of you who may be curious. And so, without further ado:

EnqP0x6.gif

1. Oakland Athletics - @Sawyerson
  2. Tampa Bay Rays - @DaaaaaBears
  3. St. Louis Cardinals - @AirNik
  4. New York Yankees - @MrMVP91
  5. Boston Red Sox - @DeSean_Grabz
  6. Seattle Mariners - @rockchalkjordan
  7. Houston Astros - @ALayton90
  8. Cleveland Indians - @BuffRustpeck
  9. New York Mets - @Metfan715
  10. Atlanta Braves - @WoTFan
  11. Detroit Tigers - @CaptainAwesomePanda
  12. Minnesota Twins - @Zeratul65
  13. Los Angeles Dodgers - @Balcor13
  14. Cincinnati Reds - @immaking2010
  15. Washington Nationals - @Cubelar
  16. Colorado Rockies - @Watchout171717
  17. San Francisco Giants - @legends4111
  18. Los Angeles Angels - @AUSTIN316ISALEGEND
  19. Kansas City Royals - @Ocks-Wifed
  20. Miami Marlins - @DNA1217-
  21. San Diego Padres - @i_love_NCAA_sports
  22. Milwaukee Brewers - @-freckles
  23. Philadelphia Phillies - @EverythingEvil
  24. Chicago White Sox - @GoBlue32
  25. Arizona Diamondbacks - @unctarheel1209
  26. Baltimore Orioles - @MVP_21Cubs
  27. Toronto Blue Jays - @twisted_time48
  28. Chicago Cubs - @LeBronJames23MVP
  29. Pittsburgh Pirates - @tfghost92
  30. Texas Rangers - @andrew342678

Uk0mcLF.gif

ALayton90

No Longer a Noob
Dec 27, 2017
A top ten pick in an IGN draft? What is this?!

Thrilled to have a chance to pick fairly early.

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
Also: no draft pick trades, at least for the inaugural drafts. It’s a headache and I also want to save people from themselves.

Trading players after the draft is of course okay.

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
Just a reminder as you're building your team, ballpark factors are very much a thing in OOTP, as they are in real life.

This shouldn't change your draft board too much - really it's just a consideration for the back end of your roster - but do keep it in mind.

You can find park factors on ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Lastly, the OOTP manual is a great resource. Take a look at how they build their player ratings: https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp16&page=player_ratings

Zeratul65

Star
May 9, 2003
Not that it matters a whole lot right now, but the rule book says we can offer free agents team options, club options, and no trade clauses. Are mutual options, vesting options, and/or performance incentives allowed in offers?

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Not that it matters a whole lot right now, but the rule book says we can offer free agents team options, club options, and no trade clauses. Are mutual options, vesting options, and/or performance incentives allowed in offers?
No to mutual options (they’re basically useless) and performance incentives (they can wreak havoc in a salary capped league, not to mention a league that is simmed several games at a time). @NBAman619 and I will discuss vesting options.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Following up on the vesting options: no to that, as well. Also: if you draft a player with a mutual or vesting option, it’ll be treated as a team option.

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
IGN-MLB Announcement

First we want to note some changes in the rulebook. We have changed the Amateur Draft to the Annual Prospect Draft, which will take place after each season.

The draft will be determined by league record. Worst record in the season gets the top pick. Any player that has not exceeded the rookie eligibility shall be eligible for the Annual Prospect Draft. This includes draft picks from the current year’s amateur draft, as well as any international free agents signed as a part of the current year’s July 2nd prospects.

Below is a timeline that should help clear things up:
  • January 4, 2021: Inaugural IGN-MLB Draft begins
  • Late January/Early February 2021: Inaugural Minor League Draft begins
  • April 1, 2021: IGN-MLB Opening Day
  • November 3, 2021: IGN-MLB World Series concludes and offseason begins
  • November 2021: The Annual Prospect Draft
Why are we conducting the The Annual Prospect after the real life MLB Amateur Draft? We need to make sure these players actually sign with MLB clubs.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
IGN-MLB Announcement

Because we are antsy, but don't want to spring it on you immediately, we have moved up the Inaugural IGN-MLB Major League Draft to December 28th at 9 a.m. EST. Consider this a "soft" start to the draft.

FAQ:
  • Will the cock (edit: clock) start at that time?
    • No, the official clock will not start until January 4th at 8 p.m. EST. You can make picks at your leisure and nobody will be skipped until the clock starts on the 4th.
  • What about the January 4th requirement?
    • If somebody signs before January 4th, they will still be eligible for the draft. So if you want a George Springer or a Trevor Bauer, you'll be taking a risk by drafting them if they do not sign by January 4th. With that said, it is of the opinion of the commissioners that we are unlikely to see the marquee free agents sign by January 4th.
  • Can Sawyerson pick right now?

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
OOTP 21 is currently $5 on Steam. We’ll be using OOTP 22 for our upcoming season, but if you’re interested in learning the platform, this is a good opportunity.

It’s also a great game and a steal at $5.

Sep 24, 2005
New York
OOTP 21 is currently $5 on Steam. We’ll be using OOTP 22 for our upcoming season, but if you’re interested in learning the platform, this is a good opportunity.

It’s also a great game and a steal at $5.

To piggy back on this, it's also included with XBox Game Pass PC and XBox Game Pass Ultimate if you already have the subscription (and it's only $1 for the first three months combined). 100% the game is worth it on its own but would be an invaluable tool for this as well.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
With the inaugural draft winding down, I wanted to share some free agent resources with y’all. What follows is a short list of free to read articles ranking the real world free agent crop:
A few things to keep in mind:
  • Any player from the KBO or NPB on these lists is eligible in the prospect draft (which will come before free agency). If they go undrafted, they’ll become a free agent.
  • Any player that accumulated at least 1 PA or 0.1 IP in the majors that was not selected in either draft will become a free agent.

Zeratul65

Star
May 9, 2003
For KBO/NPB players, if they are drafted in the prospect draft, but end up returning to Korea/Japan, does the team that drafted them keep or lose them?

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
For KBO/NPB players, if they are drafted in the prospect draft, but end up returning to Korea/Japan, does the team that drafted them keep or lose them?
You would lose them. It'd be akin to a player retiring.

That being said: in order for a Korean/Japanese player to be eligible for our purposes, they would have to have an MLB deal. This will be restated when the prospect draft begins, and then restated again when free agency kicks off.