Oct 28, 2022
Like let's say it's a similar $399-$599 price tag as the various Steam Deck versions, offers lower-res PS5 and Series S/X gaming with a 720p to 900p display.

Cloud support would be there also, but they would also natively play their own games, but there wouldn't be a separate library, it'd just be another piece of hardware for devs to set their existing games to run on.

gronik

No Longer a Noob
Oct 13, 2013
E1M1, Phobos
Like let's say it's a similar $399-$599 price tag as the various Steam Deck versions, offers lower-res PS5 and Series S/X gaming with a 720p to 900p display.

Cloud support would be there also, but they would also natively play their own games, but there wouldn't be a separate library, it'd just be another piece of hardware for devs to set their existing games to run on.
Key selling feature of steam deck for me was being able to dual boot, have PC style control over my games and also be able to use the thing as a PC.

I would have bought an Xbox series x had they let me use it as a PC. I would have accepted a locked down windows mode if it could run unreal engine and photoshop.

But a expensive handheld that just plays playstation and Xbox games isn't so appealing if it doesn't do more than just game. It either has to do more or have exclusive games I can't play anywhere else to make me want to spend more than £350. Somehow valve managed to deliver everything for just the right price

gencid

Termina Moon Society
Sep 10, 2000
Clock Tower
No, I wouldn't. If Nintendo had 2 systems that played the same games, but one connected to the TV and the other one was a handheld, I wouldn't buy their handheld either.

gronik

No Longer a Noob
Oct 13, 2013
E1M1, Phobos
No, I wouldn't. If Nintendo had 2 systems that played the same games, but one connected to ge TV and the other one was a handheld, I wouldn't buy their handheld either.
i mean in the bizarre scenario that the handheld was more powerful you'd go with that presumably, but obviously a console should logically have no right being the inferior device outside of Nintendo trying to offer some budget model switch to flog off remaining parts without having to order more screens or something.

Man i really think that a home console variant can completely work. All they need to do is keep their unified platform so they aren't splitting development and restricting their own sales potential. That way it doesn't matter if one variant outperforms the other as its all part of the same eccosystem. I'm not sure why anyone has a hard time getting this when the suggestion of a home console variant of a new nintendo system is raised, i think perhaps because its assuming it would have a different library. But does the Switch lite? No, and it can't dock to a tv so is technically just a handheld. They didn't have to restrict the software you can run on it, it just runs at a different performance tier and is restricted to portable play only. A home console, or at the very least a super dock, would be the parallel opposite of this, and surely be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Currently Switch in its current setup is obviously woefully underpowered, but even a successor portable is going to face this same exact issue. But what would be great is if they release the new models as three variants, a portable only that is lite, small (highly portable, something like dslite level) perhaps dockable but limited to a much lower resolution because of cooling limitations, a new hybrid model device and a powerdock or console. By having a base level of performance that games have to atleast be playable on the hybrid means the powerdock or console should in theory be an almost across the board buttery experience.
If games say target 30/60 on the hybrid but either struggle or eventually struggle to maintain a locked 30/60, the powerdock/console should remain consistent so long as extra power is just used for maintaining steady framerates and giving higher resolutions

gencid

Termina Moon Society
Sep 10, 2000
Clock Tower
i mean in the bizarre scenario that the handheld was more powerful you'd go with that presumably, but obviously a console should logically have no right being the inferior device outside of Nintendo trying to offer some budget model switch to flog off remaining parts without having to order more screens or something.

Man i really think that a home console variant can completely work. All they need to do is keep their unified platform so they aren't splitting development and restricting their own sales potential. That way it doesn't matter if one variant outperforms the other as its all part of the same eccosystem. I'm not sure why anyone has a hard time getting this when the suggestion of a home console variant of a new nintendo system is raised, i think perhaps because its assuming it would have a different library. But does the Switch lite? No, and it can't dock to a tv so is technically just a handheld. They didn't have to restrict the software you can run on it, it just runs at a different performance tier and is restricted to portable play only. A home console, or at the very least a super dock, would be the parallel opposite of this, and surely be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Currently Switch in its current setup is obviously woefully underpowered, but even a successor portable is going to face this same exact issue. But what would be great is if they release the new models as three variants, a portable only that is lite, small (highly portable, something like dslite level) perhaps dockable but limited to a much lower resolution because of cooling limitations, a new hybrid model device and a powerdock or console. By having a base level of performance that games have to atleast be playable on the hybrid means the powerdock or console should in theory be an almost across the board buttery experience.
If games say target 30/60 on the hybrid but either struggle or eventually struggle to maintain a locked 30/60, the powerdock/console should remain consistent so long as extra power is just used for maintaining steady framerates and giving higher resolutions
The three SKUs model would be great. $399 for the handheld, $499 for the hybrid and $599 for the pro dock.