ThunderFist17

No Longer a Noob
Nov 16, 2011
Harlem
Don't laugh yet

Of course they wont trade him now, but look at the Angels' roster, decimated by injury and bogged down by bad contracts to old and declining players. And there's not even hope of reinforcements from their farm system, it's been called the worst in the majors, they have nothing down there, it's totally barren.

A transcendent player like Trout can only take the team so far, there has to be talent surrounding him and the Angels are pretty much wasting his prime. At least with a trade of Trout you'd get back a ridiculous haul and jump start the franchise. The problem is, that Trout is a very young, transcendent player signed to a friendly contract for a few more years. There isn't any real precedent set for this, unless you want to count A Rod, but the Rangers were looking to get rid of that contract by any means.

Anyway, I thought i'd just open up the discussion.

andrew342678

Sorry Pearl, this item's not on the MENU!
Oct 25, 2003
It's sad that one of the best players of the century is going to toil away on a terrible team for the majority of his career. But hey at least he's not a Yankee or Cardinal.

MasterYoshi

No Longer a Noob
Dec 25, 2012
Trout just turned 25 today. They still have plenty of time to rebuild and put talent around him, while he's still in his prime. Weaver and Wilson come off of the books at the end of the season. The only big contract they still have is Pujols. Which isn't that big of a deal, when you have an owner willing to spend a lot of money. They just need 2-3 very good drafts, where they stockpile some good young talent. Either to use as trade bait or groom for the future. If their farm system still looks terrible 3 years from and with him being on the verge of free agency. That's when you start thinking about trading him.

hbguy311

Stud Muffin
Sep 29, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
While my Angels present and future looks bleak, which team actually has the players that would be able to get a player like Trout? The Dodgers? Any trade talk starts with Seager and Urias. Red Sox? Have Moncada and Benintendi(would be awesome if it was Nintendo) on the table just to get Eppler to even pick up the phone. So any team that wants Trout needs to have amazing prospects and MLB ready talent before any discussion can even take place. The Angels are banking that Richards is back next year and that Skaggs stays healthy, Nolasco pitches in the 3's and Meyer actually becomes the pitcher he was supposed to. They are hoping Pujols can go back in time to the player he was in 2009 and that everyone else has a career year.

The Angels ORG(Moreno)is incredibly delusional and has no business owning a baseball team but hey, he is a billionaire and the Angels are his plaything. While you might want Trout traded, it's one of the only reasons people show up to the ballpark. Moreno only cares about drawing 3 million fans, keeping season ticket holders and staying under the tax. Like someone already stated, let's wait and see what the next 3 years bring. Yeah, I agree it sucks we are wasting his prime but none of us are billionaires so Moreno does whatever he wants.

Last edited:

andrew342678

Sorry Pearl, this item's not on the MENU!
Oct 25, 2003
Another wasted year for Trout in the books. They have 40mil coming off the books this offseason but have zero farm system.

I'm definitely on the side of trading him for the kings ransom and letting one of the leagues best actually be surrounded by a competent team and manager.

MasterYoshi

No Longer a Noob
Dec 25, 2012
Another wasted year for Trout in the books. They have 40mil coming off the books this offseason but have zero farm system.

I'm definitely on the side of trading him for the kings ransom and letting one of the leagues best actually be surrounded by a competent team and manager.
De Leon, Puig and we will take on Pujols' contract [face_fedora]

Wrekonize

Super Star
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What everyone else said

Offers would have to begin with Bryant and Rizzo.

And that will never happen. Bryzzo Baez Russell Schwarber are untouchable. Giancarlo Stanton will be traded before trout. Or if he's smart he opts out and goes to a good team.

ThunderFist17

No Longer a Noob
Nov 16, 2011
Harlem
The lineup the Angels put out tonight(stolen from Reddit):

Maybin (.719 OPS)
Trout (1.226 OPS)
Valbuena (.576 OPS)
Simmons (.718 OPS)
Calhoun (.626 OPS)
Marte (.596 OPS)
Revere (.624 OPS)
Graterol (.524 OPS)
Espinosa (.500 OPS)

Or if you want more advanced metrics:

Maybin (108 wRC+)
Trout (222 wRC+)
Valbuena (70 wRC+)
Simmons (102 wRC+)
Calhoun (73 wRC+)
Marte (67 wRC+)
Revere (68 wRC+)
Graterol (41 wRC+)
Espinosa (39 wRC+)

I digress

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...porting-cast-probably-isnt-getting-a-new-one/

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2005
New York
Harper/Trout/Judge would be a pretty sick Yankees OF

It would be but in all honesty if the Angels were serious about trading Trout I'd be more than happy to offer up

Gleyber Torres
Aaron Judge
Clint Frazier

And at least one other top prospect. Heck I'd even consider throwing Sanchez in a deal but it's tougher to swallow just because the Yankees don't have any other really good catcher's in the system.

EDIT: I also believe it would take that at the minimum to get Trout. But it's hard to justify that type of trade on either side. On the Yankees end, that's A LOT of talent to give up for one player even though it is Mike Trout. If the three prospects I named all hit and are as good as speculated, that's three All Star's. On the other end, if you're the Angels and two of them don't wind up being that good, you just traded Trout for peanuts.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
I think it's absolutely the move the Angels need to make. Mike Trout is probably going down as the best player of all time, but one great player can't change a game like in the NFL or the NBA. The Angels are going to be a last place team for a long time with Trout and it would be a shame for his career and their organization to keep wasting each other's time.

Last edited:

Wrekonize

Super Star
There isnt enough combo of players with multiple teams to acquire Trout.
It would have to be at least 4teams
Yankees
Rays
Cubs
Angels

Cubs get Archer and someone else
Rays get Jimenez
Yankees get trout
Angels get 2 players from each team.
Hate to help the Jankees but being that Trout is a new jersey guy going to new York is the best move for him. Short left field he'd rake at Yankees stadium.
Obviously this trade wouldn't happen. I was just having a little fun with it.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
There isnt enough combo of players with multiple teams to acquire Trout.
It would have to be at least 4teams
Yankees
Rays
Cubs
Angels

Cubs get Archer and someone else
Rays get Jimenez
Yankees get trout
Angels get 2 players from each team.
Hate to help the Jankees but being that Trout is a new jersey guy going to new York is the best move for him. Short left field he'd rake at Yankees stadium.
Obviously this trade wouldn't happen. I was just having a little fun with it.
Two players from each team? The Yankees could trade the Angels Judge and Sanchez and it would probably still be a bad trade for the Yankees. Once players start getting paid, their trade value goes down. Right now Judge, Sanchez, and the money are worth more than Trout.

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
The Angels could name their price and at least a dozen teams would be tripping over themselves and each other to ante up. He's the best player in baseball, he's still getting better in some ways, he's still only 26 (albeit for only a few more days), you get him for two years, and his luxury tax hit is only $24.2 MM - every single team in baseball could use him.

If I'm the Nationals, I'd deal Robles, Kieboom, and more for Trout without hesitation; the same applies to the Dodgers with Verdugo and Ruiz (and more). He's that freaking good. And if I'm the Angels ... I might still ask for more.