TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
After Luka I feel like there are so many ways to go. Trae's production has been incredible and it looks like he'll be the engine for elite team offense once he gets some half decent pieces, and I think his durability sets him apart from JJJ and MPJ for me, who I'd probably take after. Ayton's defensive improvement has improved his stock but still not enough to take over those other guys, partially due to ongoing concerns about how seriously he takes the game on and off the court. Still, his upside is huge if he continues growing on defense.

1. Luka
2. Trae
3. JJJ
4. MPJ
5. Ayton

The next two guys could even make a case for being in the mix for top 5, but they are penalized for not quite having the insane ceilings that JJJ/MPJ/Ayton have. But I'm taking Mikal Bridges next because he's already playing elite, versatile defense at a level few young players reach, and his shot has finally been fixed after he developed an unfortunate hitch when he came into the league; he hit 39% of his threes after the all star break. He's such a high IQ player on both ends and looks to be one of the premier 3-and-D wings in the league for years to come, being able to guard anyone and fit next to anyone on offense. You could play him 35 minutes a game right now on any playoff team, in all sorts of lineups. He also has yet to miss a game.

Next is SGA, who is a total stud and has a case for being taken higher but I like the other guys just a tad more. Oh well. He's awesome.

Bagley gets in after this for upside and having some encouraging stretches when he was healthy but it's worrisome with him.

6. Mikal Bridges
7. SGA
8. Marin Bagley III
9. Mitchell Robinson

After this I think you have a drop in talent level, but I think Mitchell Robinson might stand out a little among the remainders. After that there's a cluster of guys you could go a number of ways with.

10. Landry Shamet
11. Kevin Huerter
12. Donte Divencenzo
13 . Devontae Graham
14. Josh Okogie
15. Colin Sexton
16. Gary Trent
17. Wendell Carter
18. Jalen Brunson
19. De'Anthony Melton
20. Jevon Carter
21. Miles Bridges
22. Mo Bamba?
23. Kevin Knox?

I'm probably forgetting/missing some

What's your re-drafted top 10/20/30? Who did I insult by leaving them off my list?

bdiddy5115

Super Star
Apr 7, 2005
CITY OF SYRRRUP
After a quick glance

Luke
Trae
SGA
JJJ
Ayton
Bags
MRob

Would be my top-7. Gonna hold off on MPJ because I honestly don't know what to expect with him in a starting role...could be as high as 3 (not gonna say 2 because I won't trust his health until he proves it over another season or two). The group after this would have like 10 guys jostling for position (hehe ;]).

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
SGA at 3! I respect it. He's probably the safest bet to be a star after Luka and Trae.

And yeah MPJ is obviously tricky to rank but I figure just knowing where he's made it to physically to this point is enough intel to move him way up. Still some risk there though.

Oct 14, 2009
SGA is #4 at the very lowest. Mikal Bridges over him...come on. No way should MPJ be taken top 4 with his injury history.

WCJ at #17 is way too low but he's been injured too much and played for Humpty Dumpty. If he's healthy next year, he's going to be a positive contributor, especially on defense.

Luka

Trae
JJJ
SGA

MPJ

Ayton
Robison?

Who knows after that, there are a lot of good role players in this draft that are hard to rate.

The top 4 should be set in stone but you can flip SGA and JJJ. I've seen JJJ go as high as #2 but I don't want to be that big of an IGNBA homer. But a year or two from now...

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
We can bump this in a couple seasons when the general public is keen to how good Mikal Bridges is 🙂. Though he's been getting some post-bubble national media hype lately.

I'm still really high on JJJ but the main hang up with him is he's been way behind his projections defensively. Ayton might be a better defender at this point, which is ridiculous. But JJJ is the superior offensive player with his legit high volume 3 point shooting, and he'll probably iron out his problems on defense to some extent.

Oct 14, 2009
Bridges is going to be 24 in a couple weeks. I don't see the upside there when compared to players like JJJ and SGA. I also don't think it's fair to Bridges to compare him to those players.

JJJ's two main issues are foul trouble and rebounding, which are probably the two easiest flaws to overcome for a young player. Backstreet Boys haircut era Dirk looked like an atrocious rebounder in his first couple years and figured things out by year 3, and DPOY winners Tyson Chandler and Ron Artest both battled foul problems early in their careers.

JJJ's issues are mostly just generic young player stuff. Even if he doesn't reach his DPOY candidate potential on the defensive end, he'll still be a plus defender and a rim protector (to whatever degree). Then you combine that with his 3 point shooting and what he can be with the ball in his hands -- my goodness.

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
I see Mikal as an all defense team level wing defender with high level complimentary offensive skills (elite cutter, great moving without the ball as a floor spacer, good passer, improving as an attacker and ball handler). He's one of those players who is constantly doing good, invisible to the boxscore things on both ends.

I didn't put him on JJJ's level but I'm confident that Mikal is going to be one of those rare roleplayers that are star-like in the value they provide. You can disagree or doubt that if you want. I get that most people who don't watch him regularly or didn't study him in the draft wouldn't think he's particularly special. I think he's special.

Oct 14, 2009
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Bridges, and even if your assessment is spot on, I still wouldn't say that Bridges ceiling would approach SGA's, who I think is at least on the lower end of a special player. I don't think Bridges has the handles to become a late bloomer Jimmy Butler caliber player, I think his ceiling is a more agile Luol Deng and that is not a knock on him at all.

MindCrime

President_Evil
Apr 28, 2003
Raccoon City
I still think the Suns did the right thing by selecting Ayton #1. I don't see Devin Booker being as good with Doncic as the other guard.

Doncic
Young
Ayton
Sexton
JJJ
Bagley
SGA
Carter
Huerter
Bridges

I wouldn't even take Bamba in the first round, let alone top 10.

Oct 14, 2009
I still think the Suns did the right thing by selecting Ayton #1. I don't see Devin Booker being as good with Doncic as the other guard.

Doncic
Young
Ayton
Sexton
JJJ
Bagley
SGA
Carter
Huerter
Bridges

I wouldn't even take Bamba in the first round, let alone top 10.
8cdfLOs.jpg

RyanRogers013

I don't need therapy.. I'm just mentally ill
Jul 7, 2006
You don't have to try to say Bridges is better or has more potential than SGA to get the point across that he's good and undervalued among younger players.

He's not and will not be better than SGA.

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
You don't have to try to say Bridges is better or has more potential than SGA to get the point across that he's good and undervalued among younger players.

He's not and will not be better than SGA.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were right! I'm a big fan of SGA's and like I said I don't there's anything wrong with ranking him as the 3rd best player from this draft as of now. We'll see how things turn out.

Last edited:

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
Taking stock so far...

Luka going through some stuff right now but is still cruising at superstar levels.

Trae's numbers are nearly identical to last season but his team is better and winning some games, and some people doubted his ability to contribute to winning.

Ayton has been up and down. Frustrating as hell to watch half the time. Still hasn't fully internalized that he can dominate 95% of the league physically.

MPJ is good. He looks capable of making a leap at some point, but can that happen in Denver?

It won't last as Booker and Paul round into form, but so far Mikal Bridges might be the Suns' best overall player this season. Best defender on the team by a good margin, while leading the Suns' 5th ranked defense. Also the clear #3 option and generally third best offensive player, which is a big development.

SGA obviously having a really nice season but on a terrible team (not his fault).

Hard to feel good about Bagley's prospects as a potential star at this point, but he's still 21 (almost 22).

Sexton had the biggest jump and it's hard to see anyone coming close to contesting that. He rocks.

Miles Bridges deserves a shoutout. Shooting the ball really well and already developing great chemistry with LaMelo.

MindCrime

President_Evil
Apr 28, 2003
Raccoon City
as a Suns fan I'm standing by Ayton, sure he's not as good as Luka, but Donkey boy will be out of Dallas first chance he gets, while DeAndre has potential to be a career Sun as he wants to be here, provided they don't trade him but probably will.