nickzambuto

No Longer a Noob
Nov 8, 2010
Confirmed: Meryl, Otacon (Snake tells them both), EVA (she calls Snake David)

Is that it? For some reason I seem to have a vague memory of Kaz referring to David and Eli, but I can't be positive. Snake also shares the same name as Zero, so we can presume he's responsible for the name. And Big Boss would probably know too, if only because he was Snake's commanding officer. I assume Snake's FOXHOUND application must have had a "Name" line.

What about Raiden? Ocelot?

IRMacGuyver

IR not supposed to be here
Jan 13, 2001
I don't think any of them do. I consider the name David to be more of a joke about David Hayter than to be a canon first name.

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Well, since the name David was given to him as a child, people who brought him up and trained him musta known it.

ghos2

Almost Not a Noob
May 31, 2009
Missouri
I imagine everyone involved with the Patriots was aware of it, as well as any commanding officers like Campbell.

I don't think any of them do. I consider the name David to be more of a joke about David Hayter than to be a canon first name.
It was definitely part of the 2001 A Space Odyssey joke, not a joke about Hayter. The localization was completed before Hayter was hired, name and all.

IRMacGuyver

IR not supposed to be here
Jan 13, 2001
I imagine everyone involved with the Patriots was aware of it, as well as any commanding officers like Campbell.

It was definitely part of the 2001 A Space Odyssey joke, not a joke about Hayter. The localization was completed before Hayter was hired, name and all.
Oh okay. I was never a super nerd when it came to all the details of production like some of the people here. You guys always amaze me with how much you know. I don't even bother fact checking I just assume you're right.

nickzambuto

No Longer a Noob
Nov 8, 2010
I thought the thread was about us "who the heck doesn't know his name is Da- oh..."
I think it's an interesting question because Liquid's real name was apparently so classified that not even Campbell had access to it. IIRC only three characters are confirmed as knowing Snake is David, and we can probably speculate that Big Boss, Zero and Campbell all know as well.

But what about Raiden?
What about Ocelot?