sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
^ Just try to hack into the red node.

If you can't reach it, locate the circular exit I/O nodes and claim them all.

firesq4014

Star
Dec 5, 2008
^^This. Also, take advantage of your stop and nukes (they are not as rare as you may think. I had over 30 of each as the game went on).

There is also the fortify option. Most hate it and think it is useless...myself included at first. If you learn how to use it with the stop and nukes you can buy yourself more than enough time to finish all hacks and collect all bonuses that may be available each time.

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
firesq4014 said:
^^This. Also, take advantage of your stop and nukes (they are not as rare as you may think. I had over 30 of each as the game went on).
I had 70+ but you are correct. The problem is accumulating them in areas with lots of treasure laden networks (Police Station, etc.).

firesq4014 said:
There is also the fortify option. Most hate it and think it is useless...myself included at first. If you learn how to use it with the stop and nukes you can buy yourself more than enough time to finish all hacks and collect all bonuses that may be available each time.
Spend the PP on Hacking Stealth and ignore Fortify and Analayze; they are both not worth the expenditure.

Jan 12, 2007
I maxed out Fortify and I can hack level 3 systems without using nukes or worms. Before I even begin to hack, I plan a root to the exit node (green ball) that is as direct as possible without passing through nodes that are rated too highly. I then begin hacking nodes until one of them trips the security scan. As soon as the security scan is initiated, I jump back and fortify the entry node (blue ball.) I then proceed to hack the remaining nodes all the way to the exit node as quickly as possible. While you're waiting for high-rated nodes to be hacked, start hacks on peripheral databases and API nodes. The latter will often buy you some extra time. As I said before, this method allows me to hack level 3 systems without using nukes and worms.

Ditto on the worthlessness of the Analyze skill. Stealth is great but you can get by without it.

firesq4014

Star
Dec 5, 2008
sng-ign said:
firesq4014 said:
I had 70+ but you are correct. The problem is accumulating them in areas with lots of treasure laden networks (Police Station, etc.).

firesq4014 said:
Spend the PP on Hacking Stealth and ignore Fortify and Analayze; they are both not worth the expenditure.

I didn't put any points into fortify. Not that I couldn't, I ended my first play through with 10 unspent points. But, there were a few things I thought were useless, at least to the style of play I was doing. I only used the basic fortify that we all started with.

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
joshuahewlett said:
I maxed out Fortify and I can hack level 3 systems without using nukes or worms. Before I even begin to hack, I plan a root to the exit node (green ball) that is as direct as possible without passing through nodes that are rated too highly. I then begin hacking nodes until one of them trips the security scan.

As soon as the security scan is initiated, I jump back and fortify the entry node (blue ball.) I then proceed to hack the remaining nodes all the way to the exit node as quickly as possible. While you're waiting for high-rated nodes to be hacked, start hacks on peripheral databases and API nodes. The latter will often buy you some extra time. As I said before, this method allows me to hack level 3 systems without using nukes and worms.

Ditto on the worthlessness of the Analyze skill. Stealth is great but you can get by without it.
I just save my game before each hack and reload if the alarm gets sounded.

My ability to control time > Hacking Fortify.

firesq4014

Star
Dec 5, 2008

sng-ign said:
I just save my game before each hack and reload if the alarm gets sounded.

My ability to control time > Hacking Fortify.

#-oIf I did things like this or quit and reload because I was dying, etc, I would give up games completely. Where is the challenge/fun? Cowboy up. Live with the results of your actions. You get paid to play games and you can't give yourself an honest run? So what, you fail a hack, there are no consequences to it (so you get locked out for 20-30 seconds), even if you die you restart right in the general area.

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
^ If Eidos Montreal didn't want me to have control over time, they should have only allowed for a single auto-save, like in Dead Island [face_dancing]

Games are like life -- it's not about playing fair, but getting back at her when she's not aware of it.