MrRobP

No Longer a Noob
Aug 19, 2007
Anybody know what year GTA V is meant to be set in? as the music in GTA V is appaulling (Rhianna? Britney Spears? generic rap? seriously?) GTA has always had some decent music (I think Vice City had the best music tbh) but some of GTA V's music choices really are questionable this time around

No offence to those who like rap music by the way, it's just not my thing.

Jun 12, 2013
Once they get all this online garbage sorted out. I think they should update music. This way it keeps the radio stations fresh, etc.

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010
I like em. The rap, funk, and r&b stations are great. Punk station is also good and the pop one is hit or miss but with a couple great tracks. Even nice to get the raggae goin now and again.

RootBeerTuna

Professional Prostate Inspector
Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
Anybody know what year GTA V is meant to be set in? as the music in GTA V is appaulling (Rhianna? Britney Spears? generic rap? seriously?) GTA has always had some decent music (I think Vice City had the best music tbh) but some of GTA V's music choices really are questionable this time around

Isn't it supposed to be 2013?

AtteroDominatus

No Longer a Noob
Aug 23, 2010
yeah its pretty bad and the talk radio is boring as fuck.

I turn the music off most of the time.

SMOGmonkey

The chimp is here
Jan 27, 2008
It's definitely a weak point. Too bad you can't select your own music. It would be great if they could update the music.

thezombierobot

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 29, 2012
its honestly the best put together soundtrack since Vice City. Easily rivals it, but I love current day music and all genres. If you are stuck in the past or are so close minded you can only enjoy one genre then GTA's soundtracks won't ever sing to you again.

thezombierobot

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 29, 2012
ls rock radio (classic rock), lowdown(classic soul), space(classic funk), east los fm(awesome hispanic jams), channel x(punk), rebel radio(country rock), blue ark(reggae), non-stop pop(pop), radio los santos(modern rap), radio mirror park(alternative), soulwax(edm), west coast classic(gangsta rap and hip hop), worldwide fm(ambient electronic and trance), and vinewood boulevard. I could pick any single one and have a great time.

Feb 20, 2011
I personally have the radio off most of the time, but it has some good points. But is it my imagination or does each station have fewer songs than stations in the past. I mean, there are more stations than there used to be, right? Whenever I tune in, I'm almost always hearing the same songs as if they've only got a few on each.

assassinscreedguy

No Longer a Noob
Mar 29, 2012
I actually liked it better than IV's radio, barring the talk radio which kinda sucks. I'm quite a fan of LS Rock Radio, West Coast Classics, Rebel Radio, Blue Ark FM, Channel X, Space, and the Lowdown. The pop station was kind of unnecessary IMO, since modern pop is so short-lived (I know people who consider a six-month-old song "ancient" [face_rolling_eyes]) that any pop song they included would be outdated and out of place by the time it launched.

Hordriss27

Prime Member
Sep 9, 2008
Frankly, the soundtrack on V includes Def Leppard which makes it the best GTA soundtrack ever. Not forgetting Queen, Bob Seger and Kenny Loggins. Fuck, I love Los Santos Rock Radio.

paxhap513

Noob
Sep 29, 2009
GTA V's soundtrack is not good at all. I assume it takes place in current day but yeah the radio is slacking. I never realized how much I liked the music of Vice City, San Andreas, GTA 4 until GTA V.

I feel like when I am flipping through the channels I hear the same songs all the time. Although when I was online I thought I heard a few songs I haven't heard in Single Player yet.

omnivus

something dumb
Aug 31, 2003
GTAV/GTAO is supposed to be set modern-day.

The only radio station I've truly enjoyed was Radio X on GTASA. I couldn't have picked a better selection of music myself.

In V/O, I liked the X punk station for a while and then got sick of it. Like all the other games, the loops are too short. You play for any significant amount of time and only listen to one station, you end up hearing the same thing over and over and over again.

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
GTAV/GTAO is supposed to be set modern-day.

The only radio station I've truly enjoyed was Radio X on GTASA. I couldn't have picked a better selection of music myself.

In V/O, I liked the X punk station for a while and then got sick of it. Like all the other games, the loops are too short. You play for any significant amount of time and only listen to one station, you end up hearing the same thing over and over and over again.

I enjoy West Coast Classics and Radio Los Santos, but I always enjoyed the talk radio stations in the previous games. The talk radio in V just isn't as entertaining.

Evil-i

"Call me Ishmael."
May 24, 2008
I mostly leave it set to the Rock Station.

Weapons do more damage when Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" plays, colours get brighter when Small Faces does "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", cars go faster to Bob Seger's "Night Moves" and the desert becomes more beautiful when Robert Plant's "Big Log" drops. And you can hear every toilet in Los Santos flush when Don Johnson sings "Heartbeat".

These are proven facts and are not open to discussion.

EEDDDWWWAARRRD

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 26, 2013
I thought some of the hiphop selections in IV were pretty terrible. i haven't really listened to the rap stations on V aside from East Los FM and WC Classics. Soulwax FM has oddly become my favorite though. It goes so well with races online.

AUTO TUUUUUUUuuuuuunnnne!!!!!!!

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
I love the DJ on the Reggae station. I *think* that's the station I'm thinking of anyway. He sounds like he's spouting gibberish, but obviously he's just speaking rastafarian!

randomste08

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?
Feb 13, 2008
Manchester, England
I thought that the stations were decent. Channel X & LS Rock are the way to go. I sometimes listen to Rebel & Vinewood Boulevard. The only time I listen to Non-Stop Pop is if Misteeq are on and that's it. I don't listen to any of the other stations at all.

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
I thought that the stations were decent. Channel X & LS Rock are the way to go. I sometimes listen to Rebel & Vinewood Boulevard. The only time I listen to Non-Stop Pop is if Misteeq are on and that's it. I don't listen to any of the other stations at all.

I frequently put on non-stop pop when I'm the passenger in a vehicle online, because I'm hoping the driver hates it :)

randomste08

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?
Feb 13, 2008
Manchester, England

I frequently put on non-stop pop when I'm the passenger in a vehicle online, because I'm hoping the driver hates it :)
Just go into Vanilla Unicorn where they play Non-Stop Pop (without the annoying DJ).

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada

Just go into Vanilla Unicorn where they play Non-Stop Pop (without the annoying DJ).

I don't actually want to listen to it usually, though some songs I don't mind(mainly because my gf has been making me listen to that shit lately), I just like seeing if it annoys the driver I'm with, because that is how I roll.

randomste08

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?
Feb 13, 2008
Manchester, England

I don't actually want to listen to it usually, though some songs I don't mind(mainly because my gf has been making me listen to that shit lately), I just like seeing if it annoys the driver I'm with, because that is how I roll.
Half of them like gangster rap so I don't think they'll mind listening to Rihanna.

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada

Half of them like gangster rap so I don't think they'll mind listening to Rihanna.

True. They need to add a really annoying country radio station, or gospel station, or something similar for me to annoy people with. Don't get me wrong, I primarily listen to country, but I want some banjo playing, bottle blowing, foot stomping country to annoy people with! Or maybe a radio station where all it is is the noise the Lloyd made in Dumb and Dumber.

randomste08

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?
Feb 13, 2008
Manchester, England

True. They need to add a really annoying country radio station, or gospel station, or something similar for me to annoy people with. Don't get me wrong, I primarily listen to country, but I want some banjo playing, bottle blowing, foot stomping country to annoy people with! Or maybe a radio station where all it is is the noise the Lloyd made in Dumb and Dumber.
Rebel radio is the closest that you can get to country I'm afraid. Soulwax could be a pretty good one to annoy people with. East Los FM is another great one as it's similar to Vladivostok Radio in GTA IV.

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada

Rebel radio is the closest that you can get to country I'm afraid. Soulwax could be a pretty good one to annoy people with. East Los FM is another great one as it's similar to Vladivostok Radio in GTA IV.

Yeah, I enjoy some of what's played on Rebel Radio, except for the Convoy version that's on it. I don't like that one at all! I'm also digging East Los FM. When I first started playing the game, I wasn't too impressed with the soundtrack. But it's been growing on me. My only issue with the audio in this game, is I can't figure out how to set a default radio station. And I know that the station will be different in each new vehicle I steal, but when I go into my personal cars online, I don't want it on one of the rock stations, which it always seems to be set on when I go back to that vehicle. I wish it saved whatever station you were listening to last, or if we could go into the menu and set a default station, then I'd be a little less frustrated with the music. I'm getting tired of hearing that "you're fucking with me subliminally" song all the damn time.

paxhap513

Noob
Sep 29, 2009
I always mute GTA music. Good thing you can do that in the settings.

Yeah I might do that. There's just no real quality stations in the game. Night Moves is a lovely song, I wish they had more Bob Seger tunes like in 4. There may be 1 song for every two stations that I like. And the talk segments seem lacking in quality and quantity.

The most annoying part is the music always playing when I join a lobby. Nothing like having to switch through all the stations to find the off button.

It's a great game, just is pretty obvious that not that much was put into the radio portion as in previous games.

DaViD_MiLLs

Defective
Jan 10, 2005
I liked a couple stations but after a week or so it got to be too repetitive.

I turned the radio off a week or so ago.

HenAra

No Longer a Noob
Jul 20, 2008

It's not my thing for those who complain about rap music.

Vatus

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 27, 2008

Whoa, whoa, whooooa now. While the music may not be your cup of tea, GTA V have great rap choice. Tupac, Snoop Dog, Ice Cube, Too Short, and Dr. Dee. These guys revolutionize the rap genre and it's great to have their songs in the game. And the modern rap is great as well. You do have Kendrick Lamar and Jay Rock. It's ok to say that you don't like the rap, but you cannot deny the great selection of the rap in this game with these great artists. IMO, the only GTA game that comes close with this rap selection is GTA: SA.

Last edited:

mikenobrain

No Longer a Noob
May 27, 2002

Dude, ride with me. We can sing Britney Spears together. Too bad they didn't have that first hit of hers, that baby song. Yea, I feel like a bad ass singing that song. Chest is all stuck out right now thinking about it.

RootBeerTuna

Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada

Dude, ride with me. We can sing Britney Spears together. Too bad they didn't have that first hit of hers, that baby song. Yea, I feel like a bad ass singing that song. Chest is all stuck out right now thinking about it.

Great, now I got her song in my head! :( I'm just glad that they didn't put "What does the fox say" into the soundtrack. Although, maybe if it was in GTA, it would cure me of my addiction, and I would be able to get it out of my head.

IGN-Player

No Longer a Noob
Oct 10, 2013
On Board

I agree, music is so awful that i keep music on mute while driving.

Evil-i

"Call me Ishmael."
May 24, 2008
Blaine County Radio has become my new favourite station. Funny and scary at the same time. It's like listening to American talk radio in real life. And Trevor makes a brief appearance on BCR.

One lame thing I've noticed, though, is that RockStar has recycled some of the jokes in this game. Both Lazlow and a BCR host use a line about having "a hot laptop on your sweaty thighs", and another BCR host shares the "broken clock is right twice a day" line with the golfing partner NPCs.

frankdux

A Clockwork Dux
May 5, 2001
The music selection isn't very good. Given the game's budget, i'd expect nothing but hit songs, catchy songs, memorable songs, rock anthems, etc. Instead, they gave us a few hits, a few minor hits, and a bunch of crap. What's really puzzling is how they have well-known artists, but include their lesser known, garbage songs. For example, Simple Minds' "All The Things She Said." Simple Minds was a one hit one with "Don't You Forget About Me". So either put that one hit in the game or just don't put Simple Minds in the game. What's the point in putting in some crap song no one knows? I recall VC and SA having many more recognizable songs and hit songs and i absolutely loved those soundtracks.

Also, several of the radio stations are almost entirely forgettable and shouldn't have been included. If i had my way i'd have made the following radio stations:

1. classic alternative/grunge (nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, stp, etc)
2. modern alternative
3. classic rock (zeppelin, hendrix, the doors, etc)
4. modern rock (90's through today)
5. classic metal (ozzy, iron maiden, motley crue, guns n roses)
6. modern metal (rollins band, etc)
7. country (garth brooks, shania twain, etc)
8. oldies (buddy holly, big bopper, ritchie valens, etc)
9. motown (the temptations, the o'jays, the miracles, etc)
10. old school rap (grandmaster flash, the sugarhill gang, mc hammer, vanilla ice, etc.)
11. gangsta rap (snoop, dre, tupac, etc.)
12. modern rap
13. retro pop (80's stuff like a-ha, tears for fears, duran duran, etc.)
14. modern pop
15. classical (famous classical stuff like beethoven's Symphony No. 9, etc.)

Last edited: