woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Figured I'd make a topic outa this and see how it goes.

I was 3 second off of Awong's time in the Honda after about 5 laps, but the temptation was there to upgrade the suspension and drive train to try and catch him. I only had a turbo and ECU too but everything else was stock.

Did my first ever 30 or so laps around Matterhorn in the Merc VGT too, that's a really fun track, I got a gold time within 10 laps but I just wanted to find a faster line around the course.

I'll have to put in my codes to do the other seasonal with one of the 15th Anniversary cars, I'll prolly go with the KTM seeing how I've bought and been driving one around already[face_tongue]

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
Hey Woody, what's your PSNID? I didn't see you on there. At the time I did that event, my Fit had pretty much everything except transmission, NA tuning, and turbo upgrades. I used the power limiter to get down to the PP limit. I only did about 10 laps, but I think it's about as good as I'm going to be able to do without messing with settings a lot. I really only wanted the credits.

I haven't done the Matterhorn one yet, but I drove it in another race, and it is surprisingly entertaining. I usually don't like tracks like that, but I thought that one was fun.

Last edited:

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
My PSN ID is Wo6dy938, that little circuit is surprisingly fun for me, the only two places I was losing significant time to you were turn 2 and a huge amount of time I lost accelerating out of the last "hairpin". Having your line there gave me the urge to keep pushing, lol.

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I did the 15th Anniversary one with the Tesla. That is a terrible track car. There's no engine noise, only tire noise, so it's very hard to tell if you're spinning the rear wheels.

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
I did the 15th Anniversary one with the Tesla. That is a terrible track car. There's no engine noise, only tire noise, so it's very hard to tell if you're spinning the rear wheels.

Which is almost 100% of the time when it comes to Brands Hatch. I didn't expect that car to be so wild at 70% power.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
I figured they'd have to have been doing something special because that car has so much oversteer the temptation to powerslide every corner is strong. I don't think I could squeeze out much more than .5 out of my time, the car's so difficult to drive fast, but that's what makes it fun.

Last edited:

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Oh yeah, I had SRF turned off, I actually thought it was pretty standard for it to be disabled so I haven't bothered to check, lol.

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I didn't use it for mine either. I was kind of curious as to what I could do with it on, but I didn't bother.

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
Saw some posts on GTPlanet where they were saying that SRF is forced on now in those events.

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I tried the M4 one with a pad, and got within one second of my wheel time. I guess using a pad isn't as big of a disadvantage as I originally thought.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
I saw this thread and decided to give the M4 Seasonal a go again, since I'd only done one lap previously. After about 10 laps, my best time was 2:16.105, with all assists off other than ABS, which is set to 1. I found about another half a second here and there that I could make up, but I'm too inconsistent with that car to actually do so. I'm sure that's quite a bit slower than everyone else, but oh well :)

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
No ABS is the one thing I'm not good at with the Dualshock. Since none of the buttons -triggers included- have pedal-sized sensitivity areas, some cars are impossibly difficult to not lock up. I can do it with practice, but each time I use a new car, I then have to go test it's lockup threshold before I can even use it. It's just too much work. I still brake as if I have no ABS, but I rarely ever actually take it off. Forza has the ability to adjust the lockup threshold, so hopefully they'll add it in an update in GT. I'm excited for what they do with the updates to this game; outside of the stuff we already know they're doing of course.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
I can't see lock up threshold as being a liable update, not only is the lock up threshold different from car to car and from track to track but it also changes depending on how fast you're going. I've gone without ABS for quite sometime in GT5 but I'm yet to do it in GT6 but downforce is a huge factor in how easily tyres lock up.

Actually I have tried no ABS in GT6 but the standard brakes in road cars makes it so that it's slower without it on (as far as I can tell so far) because the braking force in the front tyres is greater than it is in the rear. The balance has to be slightly rearward (ie. rear tyres lock up slightly before the front) for optimum use of no ABS.

That said, when I did the M4 time trial I was about 2 sec slower than Zaxo, I'm sure I'll get better, I just haven't had sufficient reason to try to get better yet with how easy the Licenses are 'n stuff. Though I have started to challenge myself...

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I'm into the high 2'13s with ABS at 1 and TCS at 3. I tried TCS off and was maybe a half second slower, with most of the time lost in the first sector.

I found that it was actually easier to correct slides with the pad. Maybe there's some sort of assist built into it.

I've never tried ABS off in GT. I don't use ABS in the F1 games, but I don't know how similar the two games would be. My guess would be not very.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
No, there isn't a built in assist for controller users. The big difference that makes it easier is that you can reach the maximums and minimums of each button much faster. Whereas you have to turn a steering wheel 180 degrees to go from full steer to full counter steer, I have to flick a stick a total of an inch in length to get the same effect. So someone using a pad can react much much faster than someone using a wheel. The big downside is that you have infinitely more precision in your movements. I'd say it evens itself out, and just comes down to getting comfortable with each.

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of assist inherent in it, whether it's specifically designed or just something that has to be different from the wheel in order to make it function properly. For example, using a wheel you can have any steering angle at any speed and it's possible to crank the wheel more than the car can actually turn at a given speed. That is not possible with a pad, however. With the pad, at any given speed a maximum steering angle is programmed in or calculated. Every racing/driving game I've ever seen works like this. In a way, that is already an "assist" built into the pad, because it wouldn't let you unnecessarily scrub off speed by over cranking the steering angle.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
I wouldn't call that an assist, so much as just a mechanic that makes it possible to play. FPSs have slight acceleration and deceleration of the reticle on a controller, because when it's not there, precision is impossible. Same idea here. Active Steering would be the Aim Assist, where this steering calculation would be the reticle precision mechanics.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of assist inherent in it, whether it's specifically designed or just something that has to be different from the wheel in order to make it function properly. For example, using a wheel you can have any steering angle at any speed and it's possible to crank the wheel more than the car can actually turn at a given speed. That is not possible with a pad, however. With the pad, at any given speed a maximum steering angle is programmed in or calculated. Every racing/driving game I've ever seen works like this. In a way, that is already an "assist" built into the pad, because it wouldn't let you unnecessarily scrub off speed by over cranking the steering angle.
This was so until GT5 allowed the ability to change controller steering sensitivity, now I can user full steering lock with the joystick on the controller whenever I want. There is a subtle assist that is difficult to explain because it's by no means simple but it's most obvious effects to me is that it is much more difficult to over-correct with the controller than it is with the steering wheel, this is why one etiquette for online racing is to avoid contact with other cars where possible because a user with a wheel could spin out from over-correcting. There are other minor effects, particularly while drifting or doing other advanced skills but over-correcting is the most notable.

Awong124

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
I wouldn't call that an assist, so much as just a mechanic that makes it possible to play. FPSs have slight acceleration and deceleration of the reticle on a controller, because when it's not there, precision is impossible. Same idea here. Active Steering would be the Aim Assist, where this steering calculation would be the reticle precision mechanics.

It's not meant to be an assist, but it's effectively an assist.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Having another go at the M4 today, with no traction control like I had it for my earlier time I docked off a second, was actually 2'17.0, then 2'16.1 and now I turned on traction control and got a 2'15.4 with plenty of room for improvement, lol. Even going faster than Awong in a couple of areas, Michael Schumacher S-bend being one of them, ironically[face_silly], but the difference is only slight[face_beatup]

//aims for a mid-to-low 2'14... still without SRF of course

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
2'14.276

Aww yeah!

Most of that time relative to Awong is lost at the hairpin but I've always had a hard time getting the optimum line there, everywhere else I'm pretty well the same pace, I had TC set at 5 but even then and with all the laps I put in I couldn't compare to Awong's ability to exit some of the tricky turns.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
After about ten laps with TCS at 5, I was only able to drop down to a 2:15.545. I did get a 2:15.223, but it was invalid because I accidentally cut the tight right-hander after the downhill sweep in the beginning (turn 4 I believe?). Funny thing is that that mistake actually hurt my time, probably adding about .1 onto my time because it upset the cars balance. I could shave at least .5 off (off of the invalid time) at the tight S section after the back straight, and probably a bit more in the rest of the track. The gearing is what throws me off. The ratios are definitely not set up in a way that meshes with this track, for me personally.

Last edited: