Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/113/1134295p1.html]Green Lantern Footage: Yea or Meh?[/link]
by Phil Pirrello

Summary:
What Say You about the recent footage teased from Green Lantern, starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan? Full of win, or full of meh? [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/113/1134295p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Dec 16, 2008
i don't know i need to see more too to actually judge ET will have the full preview tommorow so ill wait until then. but so far the costume doesn't look that real. maybe they just showed the lighter parts of the flick.

Balliard

Noob
Mar 2, 2010
im going to wait until the full real trailer is out to give my veredict ET preview sucked still from what i watched the cgi suit looked like shit in clouse up

Ryder5150

Noob
Mar 15, 2010
Looks like they are going for a lighter tone, a la "Iron Man", which I think will work well for Green Lantern. Gotta admit, it's real hard to know how the movie will turn out from that preview. CGI looks a little cartoony, but remember how bad Iron Man looked at that Super Bowl trailer? I think everything will turn out fine.

Oct 11, 2010
look i dont give S#$%( about which movie is better than which i watch all of em on the big screen u know why cus i LOVE COMICS SO MAKE EM ALL ILL WATCH EM AND BE A CRITIC AFTER

jakob997

Noob
Apr 10, 2010
Had to go with I'm disappointed. I won't complain about the suit, as it still has time to be polished and it was meh quality. However, the whole "let me take off my pants" didn't work at all for me, and it seems too campy. Plus, I didn't get the sense it would be the scale of Star Wars. All I saw was him hitting what I believe was an average crook.

crazydiamond75

Prime Member
Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, from everything I've heard about the project I just had really high expectations. This little preview kind of lowered those. Not too impressed so far, but its hard to say with a crappy out-of-context preview. I'm still gonna see it opening night. I just hope the final product isn't too campy.

Jul 22, 2008
the way i look at it is that that preview is nothing to judge the movie by, it was used to make a commercial for a family friendly tv show. so i will wait for something more concrete than a couple seconds. if anything it just showed us how the suit looks moving around.

N

NassaDane69

Original poster
where the heck is this? how has everyone seen this?

jakob997

Noob
Apr 10, 2010
@ NassaDane69

Go on EW.com and watch it, or Youtube. Or you can just click on movies and go back a few pages to find it.

pplhatr1

Noob
May 3, 2009
I should have known they'd lean on Reynold's typcial onscreen persona, and the fam-friendly diet-cool version of it to boot, but I am hoping they'll find the time to bring out his more serious side ala Smokin' Aces... he had a very straight character there, serious, good hearted and hard core. Seriously, what he did at the end of Smokin' Aces is to this day one of my favorite moments in movie history and I'm hoping he gets a chance to breathe some of that air in Green Lantern.

Vladimon

Noob
Jul 28, 2010
I'd have to see the trailer itself to truly form an opinion... as of now the ET cut is pretty meh... plus I always found green lantern to be generally lighter in tone... it's mostly the vilains who make things dark

gamejediben

No Longer a Noob
Feb 28, 2003
I remember when EW did a promo for Batman Begins. I was so disappointed in that little bit I saw that I didn't even bother seeing the movie till it was out of theaters. And then I was kicking myself for letting EW footage be my only evidence of the movie's worth. Batman Begins went on to blow my mind and The Dark Knight practically changed comic book movies forever.

I won't make that mistake again. I'll wait for the full trailer before I even begin to think about forming an opinion.

I

Icecreamkilla

Original poster
You know who I realized would make the perfect John stewart for a future GL movie? Idris f**kin Elba! I'm pretty sure he was made for that role.

Jhonsun

Noob
Sep 27, 2007
Looks like we're in for the inevitable, performance-crippling, blue-screen overcompensation phenomenon again. "Okay, Reynolds, in this scene, an alien is going to get in really close and sniff you. Act like you just got punched in the face. Perfect!"

Shibua

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 29, 2004
The costume change looks terrible, is GL the new Starwars if going by that trailer I'd say a big no.

Frogfishr

Noob
Feb 17, 2010
Looks quite okay actually... compared to what I have been thinking so far... but when Sarsgaard shows up I am sure it will be back to "terrible".

rubindo

Noob
Feb 17, 2006
The footage we got for now makes the movie seem somewhat cheezy. I don't want Hal Jordan to be a Spiderman rip off, cracking jokes in the face of his enemies. Then again, all the clips are out of context and we don't know why things happened. (although, fans of the comics can guess.)

As for the costume, does anybody else think he looks like a giant oompah loompah?

Oct 16, 2010
I'd say Kilawog looks spot on for the most part and as for Hal jordans personality from the footage i'd say it maches that of his comic book counterpart for the most part, i see Hal as being this cocky (*heh heh*) pilot type that is what ryan renolds usually plays anyway so i'd have to wait for the full trailer to reall see whats up but that my thought

pzeise

Noob
Oct 3, 2006
I mean the scenes here were humorous true, but it was 30 secs of an hour and a half movie. For all we know those are all the funny parts, and the rest is dark. Also you have to look at the target, it was ET which isnt exactly a channel that nerds are constantly watching. Besides, having a humorous character in dark and gritty situation isnt necessarily a bad thing. Either way I still have high hopes.

Aug 1, 2010
My hopes are set to Blackest Night. DC's superheroes are too goofy (except Batman) to be in movies. In comics, they work, but this Green Lantern movie looks like it's going to steenk.

jokerfrown

Noob
Jun 25, 2006
fail
GreenLanterns stories are the shit
and not about comedy like this
not to mention they pick horrible actors like Ryan R.
this movie will probably make good money but it spits in the face of all that is green lantern

JediMasterGabe

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 7, 2010
I just can't get over how awful that costume change looks. I'm still waiting for the trailer but just based off that, I would have to say pass.

Nov 8, 2010
I love the Green Lantern, but what I saw was the exact problem i thought would happen when this movie was announced. The effects are simply too cheesy looking. I really hope the animators clean it up a lot because the CG will definitely make or break this movie.

Xeloki

Noob
Jul 16, 2008
Classic Ryan Reynolds buffon/jokey type character. Although IGN seem to have a hard-on for him, imho he ruins almost every film he has ever been in.

I predict it'll be a god-aweful film which does mildly well because people will be curious enough to go see it.

Bongo-Bongoed

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 16, 2006
It's nigh on impossible to have a meaningful opinion yet, but I can't help but feel that my fears that this is going to be rather camp and cheesey may not be wrong.

arunion

Noob
Aug 20, 2008
I'm not finding the CG suit very convincing, especially since it seems like a very neon green color.

mogo1111

Noob
Jul 30, 2010
If u turn OFF the ET comentary it's much better. Having said that I was confused about the shape of the G.l. mask when Hall changes (Is it a square shape or more like the entertainment weekly mask?????). Second the scene where he flys in to kick Hector Hamond looked like he was on wires as in crouching tiger hidden dragon, diddn't flow right it sort of jerks at the end of the kick. I couldn't stand the ET commentary focussing on Ryan Reynalds without the shirt ughhh...I must say I loved the Killowog scene (c'mon priceless). Not enough Sinestro, and not 100% on the blink and u missed it change. Also the whole thing was dark without detail. Not what I was expecting but I did love the look of OA the jets looked sharp, Blake Lively is smokin hot. I'm not into cheesecake in any film including star wars, I think it's put in there to sell a whack of toys to the kids...The flying through space thing looked weak to me as well.. Hopefully the finished CGI will sort most of the issues I have out. Reynolds really should be great in this, I have zero problem with his acting I think hes really good!. Geoff Johns supposedly had hand in this so I'd be wildly surprised if the end product didn't kick some serious ass regardless of this 30 seconds of ET voiceover sales pitch to their core audience. I'm keeping the faith!!!!!

Jul 7, 2010
Im just gonna wait till you guys get the trailer from the Potter movie before i make comment to how good or how bad the movie might be...I think it'll be decent box office wise, but everyone likes a hero thats not so all mighty and has a dark edge to him.

fabiedwin

Noob
May 13, 2003
Saw the trailer, it ruled! To all those who don't agree, well, you can go back to your parents basement and play World Of Warcraft! Apparently, having a life on the internet is your reality! Don't ruin real life for the rest of us!

jenkisa

Noob
Jan 11, 2010
Looks decent, also can't wait to see the movie...Feel like a kid again with all the superhero movies coming out

Feb 17, 2009
Here is the full official trailer to Green Lantern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWGl_A3b60&feature=recentlik

Some people just got their foot in mouth by this. And the CGI isnt halfway done! It shapes up the one of the best, if not THE BEST comicbook movie of next summer!
AMAZING!!!!

Aug 3, 2010
I saw the trailer and it looks pretty good. My only problem is how Reynold's is portraying him. Hal Jordan is a hot shot, he has a cocky swagger. Ryan seems to be playing him as if it were Kyle Rayner, or Deadpool; before the goofy transformation into Weapon 11.

Nov 8, 2009
I'm not crazy about it or anything, and I hope they fix the CGI up a bit more. The trailer doesn't really hype me up for it like the ones for Superman Returns or Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but I'm still definitely going to see it anyway. But in a year with Thor and Captain America, I don't know it this will be able to stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.