Dead2009

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 8, 2019
Baltimore

Gran Turismo 7 has an always-online campaign mode. While these requirements are increasingly par for the course, particularly in sports and racing games with big career modes, that doesn’t mean the series’ community is particularly happy about it.

The requirement was subtly mentioned in a PlayStation Blog post a day after Sept. 8’s PlayStation Showcase 2021, where the driving simulator’s launch date was finally revealed. The blog post from Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi references the return of the Gran Turismo Campaign mode — this is the first numbered GT since 2013 — but asterisked that remark with a fine-print mention that “these features require internet connection.”

In an interview published Thursday, Eurogamer wanted to clarify immediately what the single-player campaign’s requirements were. Yamauchi told Eurogamer that the GT Campaign does require an online connection to play, in order “to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data.”

“The only part of the game that doesn’t require an online connection is the arcade mode, because that has no effect on the save data,” Yamauchi added. “But anything that has to do with the save data requires a connection. For example, things like the livery data as well — that’s something that is downloaded from the online server.”

Players in the series’ subreddit, and on a ResetEra thread, aren’t convinced of the online requirement’s necessity. “There’s got to be a way to keep online integrity without fucking over your paying customers once the servers go offline,” said one.

“Forza is able to segregate the online and campaign,” they added, referencing Forza Horizon 5, which launches in November for Xbox One and Xbox Series X. “Why can’t GT?”

woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Ah, the car and coupon trading at no cost from GT5, can't remember if it was also a thing for GT6. Maybe there's potentially more to it than I'm aware but it seems like the harmless type of cheating to try to crack down on.

//isn't believing the March release for even one second

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
I know this thread is old, but I've gotta be the only person who doesn't mind this. Will it suck when I eventually can't go back and explore my file ten years from now? Yes. Is that already the case with some of the other games, like on the PS2? Yeah, it's not easy to get any PS2 I have access to to work anymore.

I really think -just like with GT Sport- this is about the Sport mode. I think the FIA has probably demanded that the Sport mode stay as locked down as possible from cheating. And so they've probably forced Polyphony to be a bit more extreme than necessary. It's less about cheating cars for singleplayer, and more about stuff like cheating an extra 5HP without increasing your PP, or what have you, I'd bet.

Basically, I don't think these measures are wholly Polyphony's choice. I think they're being made, because they want Sport mode to continue to be taken seriously as a legitimate form of motorsport, and so they want to please the FIA.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
I don't buy it.
Other Sims get by with offline options to play, why must everything be locked down to online only? Gt7 shouldn't be worried what FIA thinks, they should be worried about the paying customers. The people that made the franchise last this long.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
Lololol, that's easy for you to say. But business doesn't really work like that. If they're thinking longterm about this partnership, then they have to create goodwill between them and the FIA. "Getting by" isn't good enough. You don't have to like it. But I'm fairly certain that's why it's the case.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
Lololol, that's easy for you to say. But business doesn't really work like that. If they're thinking longterm about this partnership, then they have to create goodwill between them and the FIA. "Getting by" isn't good enough. You don't have to like it. But I'm fairly certain that's why it's the case.

Please don't defend bad business.
The primary concern should be the customers. The people buying the game, the people who have been buying the games through out its history. The franchise wouldn't exist with out those customers. That's who the focus should always be on.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
Uh-huh... I've heard all of this before. I'm not gonna argue with you about things you refuse to see nuance in, and don't understand, lol. There's a huge difference between this, and other forms of DRM/reasons for making a game always online. I'm sorry you can only see the world in black and white.

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
FIA partnership ended with GT Sport. They're just sticking to what they did with Sport since it worked for them, I guess.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
Uh-huh... I've heard all of this before. I'm not gonna argue with you about things you refuse to see nuance in, and don't understand, lol. There's a huge difference between this, and other forms of DRM/reasons for making a game always online. I'm sorry you can only see the world in black and white.
Sorry you feel some need to defend a company making poor anti consumer decisions.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
It wasn't publicly mentioned anywhere, but 2021 was the last of the FIA GT World Championship, which has since been rebranded to the Gran Turismo World Series.
Hmm. That's curious then... I personally don't know if I believe it without proof. Particularly since I'm fairly certain they still have it in Brand Central, along with the rest of the sponsors and partners. But that is a substantial bit of evidence either way.

Last edited:

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
End paragraph of a GTPlanet article is about the only piece that alludes to it having ended.

It might still be there as a museum piece but that's about it.