Wynn7892

No Longer a Noob
May 30, 2003
I just bought a 3ds. The last Castlevania game I played was Circle of the Moon when it came out. I see there are 3 that have been released on the DS, and one for the 3ds. Any recommendations?

Nov 13, 2011
I just bought a 3ds. The last Castlevania game I played was Circle of the Moon when it came out. I see there are 3 that have been released on the DS, and one for the 3ds. Any recommendations?

I've play all the handheld nintendo castlevanias since circle of the moon has been released.
I heavily suggest Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of ruin.
Dawn of sorrow is basically the best castlevania game that follows the formula from sympathy of night/circle of the moon. Portrait of ruin and Order of elsia mess with formula a bit but are still the same basic kind of game. I don't recommend order of ecclesia since it has a lesser focus on exploration due to the way the game's world map is set up. And exploration is big part of the fun in 2d castlevania. I don't think its a bad game but I personally didn't like it and it is IMO the weakest entry in the DS/GbA line of 2d metrovania games.

That being said, Portrait of ruin's story is stand alone while Dawn of sorrow is a sequel to Aria of sorrow for GBA. Dawn of sorrow's story is simple enough to follow without needing to play part 1 but if you care about that maybe portrait of ruins would be a better choice. If you don't care then all you need to know is that in the year 2000 Dracuala was finally killed and the protagonist of Aria of sorrow/Dawn of sorrow ,Soma Cruz, is the reincarnation of Dracula and as result has to deal with evil baggage that comes with that. FYI if you have a Wii U you can buy GBA Aria of sorrow on it. Great game. Also since Dawn of Sorrow was released the earliest is has the worst graphics out of the 3 but the difference is negligible and they all look great.

As for mirror of fate for 3ds. I think that game just straight up sucks. Very mediocre. I would only recommend it if you are a big fan of the lord of shadow story line for console since mirror of fate is prequel/sequel to those games. It story takes place in between lord of shadow 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Karkashan

Loyal Grimleal
★ MOD
May 17, 2013
Plegia
Play all 4 of them. They're all good.

Order of Ecclesia is imo the best of the series.

praisegrima

Nov 13, 2011
Play all 4 of them. They're all good.

Order of Ecclesia is imo the best of the series.

praisegrima
Order of Ecclesia has the lamest story of the 3, the lamest unlockable characters, and a world map that is design in way that make the game feel like you are walking from A to B instead of actually exploring.
Also I forgot to mention but Mirror of fate is a very different game from the rest. In other words just because you like circle of the moon doesn't automatically mean you will like mirror of fate. Where as with the other 3 you most likely will like if you enjoy circle of the moon.

Wynn7892

No Longer a Noob
May 30, 2003
Ok so my buddy just let me borrow Portrait of Ruin. I have to say I'm not really digging this new anime style, The female main character looks too cliche(school girl outfit?). I don't really care for constantly switching off with this new 'buddy system'.

aj51795

Almost not a pokemon
Jan 24, 2007
Forks, WA
Dawn of sorrow, Portrait of ruin, and Order of Ecclesia are all solid games. Don't know about the 3ds one though.

Glad to see this board is still around btw.

Last edited:

Dante-

Mod Trigger
★ MOD
Mar 25, 2009
Red Grave City
I'll second Karkashan and say that Order of Ecclesia is the best of the DS games. All three are great games and you can't go wrong with any of them.

If you dislike the anime style characters of Portrait of Ruin (Dawn of Sorrow also had it) then you'll be glad to know that Order of Ecclesia got rid of that.