ign-rocks

IGN
Jun 3, 2003
[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/3940393525_6141341a26_o.jpg]

Formula 1 - 2011 German Grand Prix

Grand Prix---------Winning Driver-------Winning Constructor
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/200983541/p1/?18]Australian Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/201397620/p1/?16]Malaysian Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/201584480/p1/?10]Chinese Grand Prix[/link]- Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren-Mercedez
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/202174432/p1/?10]Turkish Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/202527780/p1/?11]Spanish Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/202661675/p1/?12]Monaco Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/203025708/p1/?10]Canadian Grand Prix[/link] - Jenson Button - Mclaren-Mercedez
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/203344961/p1/?8]European Grand Prix[/link] - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing
[link=http://boards.ign.com/formula_one_racing/b5763/203690687/p1/?13]British Grand Prix[/link] - Fernando Alonso - Ferrari

Driver Standings

1S. Vettel 204.0
2M. Webber 124.0
3F. Alonso 112.0
4J. Button 109.0
5L. Hamilton 109.0
6F. Massa 52.0
7N. Rosberg 40.0
8N. Heidfeld 34.0
9V. Petrov 31.0
10M. Schumacher 28.0
11K. Kobayashi 25.0
12A. Sutil 10.0
13J. Alguersuari 9.0
14S. Buemi 8.0
15S. Perez 8.0
16R. Barrichello 4.0
17P. di Resta 2.0
18N. Karthikeyan 0.0
19J. Trulli 0.0
20T. Glock 0.0
21H. Kovalainen 0.0
22D. Ricciardo 0.0
23P. Maldonado 0.0
24J. d'Ambrosio 0.0
25R. Kubica 0.0
26P. de la Rosa 0.0
27V. Liuzzi 0.0

Constructors

1Red Bull 328.0
2McLaren 218.0
3Ferrari 164.0
4Mercedes GP 68.0
5Renault 65.0
6Sauber 33.0
7Toro Rosso 17.0
8Force India 12.0
9Williams 4.0
10Team Lotus 0.0
11Hispania Racing 0.0
12Virgin Racing 0.0

The Hermann Tilke-tweaked Nurburgring has rarely been short of action in the past. So given the array of changes we've had in the 2011 season it's unlikely to come up short in the overtaking stakes for this weekend's German Grand Prix.

The last time we were here was 2009 and there was no whiff of an M. Schumacher comeback. This year the almost-local lad will be back behind the wheel and many Schumi flags will be waving and those airhorns blasting (and that's just Michelle Foster's desk - imagine what it's going to be like at the circuit!).

Michael will be hoping for an incident free race keeping his front wing intact, having lost it in Turkey, Valencia and Britain. He will certainly have lots of track experience to count on. Pirelli's Paul Hembery describes it as: "One of the most technical circuits we face all year, with a lot of lateral energy going through the tyres". Which makes strategy, as ever, very important.

Pirelli have opted to go for their Medium and Soft tyre for this race, which sounds pretty safe and boring but Pirelli disagree. "Although they sit next to each other in our range, there is still a significant difference between the P Zero Yellow soft and the P Zero White medium tyre," said Hembery, "as we saw on the last occasion that this combination was used at the Grand Prix of Europe in Valencia."

Phew, that's reassuring then.

Pirelli expect most teams to adopt a two-stop strategy - so for Sergio Perez that means one. On Friday, the teams will be evaluating a new version of the Yellow-walled soft tyre which doesn't degrade quite so quickly. Presumably the idea of making that harder is that they can run it in conjunction with the Hard tyre or make it more distinct from the SuperSoft.

Ferrari come into the race with their spirits high following an emphatic Silverstone victory. At the Nurburgring we are likely to see how much of that was down to the ban on off-throttle blowing, which are allowed again. If they can stay ahead of Red Bull at the German circuit then the chase is most certainly on.

Fernando Alonso was in imperious form at the British GP, never more impressive than when he's being calm and letting the race come to him - the mark of a multiple World Champion. Team-mate Felipe Massa will be trying desperately hard to outqualify him for the first time this year. Although Felipe has outstarted him on quite a few occasions, there must be some pressure building in the team. It was announced last year that Massa would have a contract up until 2012, so why is Luca Montezemolo coming out and saying that he sees Felipe in his seat in 2012? We knew...

The Red Bull boys had a go at passing each other at Silverstone, which was a stirring sight indeed. The unflappable Sebastian Vettel took it all in his stride. Grilled by some 'bad-boy' journos in the press conference after the race Seb kept his cool: "As Mark said, he stayed flat out and tried to race me, as hard as he could, didn't find his way past. To me, at this stage it's quite amusing."

The perfect response. It's also quite amusing for us because you can see the blood drain from Christian Horner's face when Mark does it. But the reality of it is that neither Webber and Vettel are that brilliant at overtaking without jeopardizing their car - unlike Button and Alonso who are probably the best. Whatever the case, team orders are no longer verboten and Webber's so far behind, you wouldn't blame Red Bull for moving him out of the way, or Ferrari for moving Massa out of the way at this German GP.

There's a lot of puff and thunder coming from Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly (one of Russia's ten sexiest men) Petrov about how much the Renault team need to improve the car to compete against Mercedes. At this race they are scheduled to try a new un-radical exhaust system alongside their old radical one in Friday practice. What's the betting that it's damp and Vitaly (although meerkats took the first three places) Petrov had it into the wall on the fourth corner...

Focusing on the back of the grid (for once), the arrival of Daniel Ricciardo has spiced things up in the last six places. Fernando Alonso had a season with Minardi at the beginning of his career and this is Ricciardo's apprenticeship. Whereas Narain Karthikeyan was not expected to beat Tonio, Ricciardo really needs to by the end of the season. In fact how soon he does it will also be a good indicator. (Schumi stepped into an F1 car and beat his team-mate immediately, but in those days the technology hike between F3000/World Sportscars and F1 wasn't so great)

After an early season wobble Timo Glock has bounced back and it's very much the trio of Kovalainen, Glock and Liuzzi bossing their teams. With the arrival of Ricciardo this could change. Not as much as the HRT beating Lotus, but it'll inject a lot more interest into what's happening with the newbies.

With weather conditions in Northern Europe unsettled as we head into the GP weekend, this could easily be a race or qualifying session run in mixed conditions. In 2007 we saw the amazing sight of Lewis Hamilton being craned back onto the track still in his car after a downpour produced a skidpan at the end of the straight and Hamilton shot into the gravel. Let's hope Lewis sent him a crate of Weissbier - he may still be on duty down at Turn 1...

ign-rocks

IGN
Jun 3, 2003
Rules

Object

The basic concept is that every race
weekend you will try and choose the Top 10 the best you can. If you
guess the winner right, you get 25 points, 2nd right you get 18, etc.

1st Place: 25 points
2nd Place: 18 points
3rd place: 15 points
4th place: 12 points
5th place: 10 points
6th place: 8 points
7th place: 6 points
8th place: 4 points
9th place: 2 points
10th place: 1 point

Who wins pole: 5 points
Fastest lap: 5 points
Most constructor points: 10 points
First driver to retire: 5 points
Number of drivers who retire: 5 points

I (or someone else) will tally all scores after the race's completion
and post them in the thread I make for that day and the thread for the
next Grand Prix.

Notes

* Predictions must be in by the start of the qualifying sessions
* You may join in on any race and skip any race, but it leaves you at a disadvantage
* If you are going away for a while, you may give me several race predictions at once.
* You are free to edit predictions up until race qualifying starts
* If you post/edit after qualifying starts, your prediction will not count
* You can only post a driver once in your predictions
* Any questions may be asked in this thread, any other race threads, or via PM.

GTporsche - 323
Delfino88 - 318
requiem46 - 261
stebop - 260
ign-rocks - 240
melbourne_victory - 15

requiem46

Because we can
May 19, 2005
1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Hamilton
5. Massa
6. Button
7. Rosberg
8. Schumacher
9. Petrov
10. Heidfeld

Pole: Vettel
Lap: Alonso
Retire: Liuzzi
# Retire: 5

ign-rocks

IGN
Jun 3, 2003
1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Massa
5. Hamilton
6. Button
7. Schumacher
8. Kobayashi
9. Sutil
10. Heidfield

Pole - Vettel
Constructor - RB
Lap - Alonso
First to retire - Chandok
Number - 5

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Hamilton
5. Massa
6. Button
7. Rosberg
8. Schumacher
9. Sutil
10. Di Resta

Lap: Alonso
Retire: Chandhok
# retire: 4

Delfino88

Noob
Apr 15, 2005
1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Hamilton
5. Button
6. Massa
7. Rosberg
8. Sutil
9. Schumacher
10. Maldonado

Lap: Webber
Retire: Glock
Retirements: 5

Oct 8, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Damn it I missed out on getting my predictions in this week. Ah well I'm still gonna put in my top ten

1. Webber
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
5. Massa
6. Rosberg
7. Button
8. Di Resta
9. Schumacher
10. Petrov

stebop

50 character limit. Markup codes are NOT allowed.
Oct 27, 2000
sucks i didn't get to join the contest as was busy as hell last week.

but i did get home at lap 16/50.. and caught the epic ass race.

and more than enough time to catch this:

[link=http://twitpic.com/5v58vq]twitpic[/link]

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
Not too different from this.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/bouboum/Nigel%20Mansell/Mansell-Senna-Silverstone-91.jpg]

requiem46

Because we can
May 19, 2005
I was way too hungover to pay much attention to most of the first half of the race. if someone could explain wtf happened to vettel to be hat far from webber and the top 3 and how did heidfeld end up out, I'd appreciate it.

lol @ alonso running out of fuel

Race:

GTporsche - 58
requiem46 - 53
Delfino88 - 39
ign-rocks - 33

Season:

GTporsche - 381
Delfino88 - 357
requiem46 - 314
ign-rocks - 273
stebop - 260
melbourne_victory - 15

Melbourne victory: Remember to make your picks before qualifying [face_tongue] (I would have tallied your score for lulz if i was at my place, but I'm not going to be the re for the remaining of this week)

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
Vettel had that spin early on in the race and then decided it would be better to follow Massa around for the remainder of the race. Hamilton, Webber and Alonso outpaced the entire field, plus Vettel and Massa had pit at the start of the final lap because neither team wanted to give up any performance on the harder compound tire. Turns out the Ferrari crew decided Massa didn't need to have a lightning quick final pitstop.

Heidfeld was sent flying by Buemi cutting him off at the entrance to the Veedol Chicane about 10 laps into the race.

Oct 8, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
requiem46 said:
Melbourne victory: Remember to make your picks before qualifying [face_tongue] (I would have tallied your score for lulz if i was at my place, but I'm not going to be the re for the remaining of this week)
Yeah I know man, I just put them in for the hell of it haha.

I don't think I'll have a chance of doing any good in this though, because on the race that I joined (last race) is the race that Vettel decides to start doing poorly, making it really unpredictable. I'm still hanging on a Webber victory this season. It's going to happen right? RIGHT? [face_worried]

Jul 15, 2004
Wow, I haven't posted on IGN in years. Delfino is actually still around too. One of the few names I remember from here!

Yes, that was an incredible race. Some stellar action, and an unexpected win from Hamilton. I tend to agree with the theory of Vettel not being as confident racing others as he is when he is ahead of the pack. I still think he needs more experience under his belt.