Feb 1, 2024
I was a casual console gamer for years until life meant I didn’t have the time anymore. I picked up a Omen laptop in the Black Friday sales and have really got the gaming bug again.

I’ve recently ordered my first gaming PC (Ryzen 7 7800/32GB RAM / Nvidia RTX 4080 Super) and I am after some game recommendations as until recently I haven’t bought or played anything since 2019.

I like the idea of Elden Ring but I think it may be too difficult for me (I switch between normal & easy modes) and Baldur’s Gate looks great but I’ve never played a turn-based game.

I have played the following recently:

Batman Arkham Asylum – Wasn’t sure for the first couple of hours but loving it now (bought all the Arkham games now)
Dragon Age Inquisition (All DLC) – Amazing game 9/10
Mafia Definitive Edition – Brilliant
Cyberpunk – Played for a few hours, couldn’t really get into it. Might revisit on new PC.

Starfield is the one I am really excited about, but I am going to wait for a GOTY version.

I'm not into multiplayer stuff and survival horror / anything with zombies or jump scares (too old for that!)

An Idea of the games I love:

10/10

Witcher 3 (All DLC)
Mass Effect Trilogy (All DLC)
Red Dead 2

9/10

Fallout Games (All DLC)
Dragon Age Origins (ALL DLC)
Read Dead Redemption (+ Undead Nightmare)
Skyrim

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to any suggestions

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
On PC, there are frequent deals at the various storefronts like Steam, Epic, GOG, HumbleBundle etc. You can keep informed by checking
which tracks down prices of games.

Some recommendations, based on what you mention:
* Horizon: Zero Dawn, you can often get the complete edition on the cheap. One of the better examples of open worlds
* The Yakuza series games
* Hogwart's Legacy if you like the universe
* Borderlands (mainly 2 &3) for some good shooting fun
You can also check other open-world games like the type Ubisoft makes if you like the type, like the various Assassin Creed titles, Far Cry titles or Watch Dogs and such (I personally find them repetitive in the long term), or the recent Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

Also, as a long-time PC gamer I'd say that trying turn-based is not a bad idea at all. You can try some games to see if you like the style. For example, one game that is often on sale is XCOM2 that should give you a good idea of what to expect from turn-based games.

Last, but not least, it's very easy to try indie titles on the PC.

docSpock

Super User
May 17, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Our tastes definitely overlap. Mass Effect 2 is my all time favorite game.

I’d recommend:
  • Assasin’s Creed: Origins
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • Yakuza 0
  • Greedfall
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Kingdoms of Amalur

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Rasta and Doc said most of what I thought of.

Since you like the Batman Arkham games, give Spiderman Remastered a try. You can find it for under $30 on PC. The combat system is somewhat similar to Arkham, and it's another fun open-world superhero game.

You might like Mass Effect: Andromeda too.

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
I forgot to mention Game Pass of course, the subscription service provided by Microsoft. If you are comfortable with paying a monthly cost, you can play (or just try) all sorts of games, including several new releases.

Feb 1, 2024
On PC, there are frequent deals at the various storefronts like Steam, Epic, GOG, HumbleBundle etc. You can keep informed by checking
which tracks down prices of games.

Some recommendations, based on what you mention:
* Horizon: Zero Dawn, you can often get the complete edition on the cheap. One of the better examples of open worlds
* The Yakuza series games
* Hogwart's Legacy if you like the universe
* Borderlands (mainly 2 &3) for some good shooting fun
You can also check other open-world games like the type Ubisoft makes if you like the type, like the various Assassin Creed titles, Far Cry titles or Watch Dogs and such (I personally find them repetitive in the long term), or the recent Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

Also, as a long-time PC gamer I'd say that trying turn-based is not a bad idea at all. You can try some games to see if you like the style. For example, one game that is often on sale is XCOM2 that should give you a good idea of what to expect from turn-based games.

Last, but not least, it's very easy to try indie titles on the PC.
Thanks for the recommendations.

The Yakuza ones look pretty interesting and Hogwarts too, might be my first game on the new rig.

I played the original Boarderlands on PS3, not sure i'd want to play anymore.

Really loved AC Odyssey so will probably try AC Valhalla.

The Indie games are a bit bewildering, there a thousands, any you would recommend?

Feb 1, 2024
Our tastes definitely overlap. Mass Effect 2 is my all time favorite game.

I’d recommend:
  • Assasin’s Creed: Origins
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • Yakuza 0
  • Greedfall
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Kingdoms of Amalur
I agree, ME2 was incredible.

I've beat The Outer Worlds, decent game.

Origins or Valhalla?

Seems to be a lot of love for Yakuza. Best one to start?

Feb 1, 2024
Rasta and Doc said most of what I thought of.

Since you like the Batman Arkham games, give Spiderman Remastered a try. You can find it for under $30 on PC. The combat system is somewhat similar to Arkham, and it's another fun open-world superhero game.

You might like Mass Effect: Andromeda too.
The spiderman games look great, thanks.

I played the ME trilogy just before Andromeda came out... probably the worst thing I could have done. Will definitely revisit it though.

docSpock

Super User
May 17, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I agree, ME2 was incredible.

I've beat The Outer Worlds, decent game.

Origins or Valhalla?

Seems to be a lot of love for Yakuza. Best one to start?
Origins. I prefer the Egyptian setting. To be fair I haven’t played Valhalla because it looked like more of the same from Odyssey which was more of the same from Origins. So just go with whichever setting suits you I guess.

Any Yakuza game is good to start with but I’d recommend starting with Yakuza 0 or Yakuza: Like a Dragon. These two are consistently at the top of fan rankings and you can’t go wrong with either one. They also both have absolutely stellar music. I think it’s best to just jump in and find out for yourself why these games are so great but here’s a little background on each.

Yakuza 0 is the game that put the Yakuza series on the map. It’s a kind of open world action RPG with a fantastic story that plays like a gangster soap opera. One caveat is that as an older game it’s missing some quality of life features common in modern games but it’s still a blast to play.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a modern masterpiece. It’s gorgeous and has the trademark story and characters the series is known for. Unlike previous Yakuza games this one is a turn based RPG but it’s just as dynamic as 0.

If you’re looking for indie games I have a few recs as well:
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Superliminal
  • Outer Wilds
  • The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe
  • Cocoon
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Dorfromantik
  • Observation
  • Unpacking
  • The Gunk
Whoa! I think 10 is enough, I’d probably go another 20 more if I kept listing interesting indie games I’ve played. These cover all different genres and are mostly in the 5-10 hour range.

Last edited:

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Like A Dragon is really excellent... If you like turn based JRPG-style combat (which I don't and ultimately ruined the game for me).

I second the PC GamePass recommendation. You can try a ton of games, including Starfield, on the that service.