surprise1

A guy.
May 23, 2003
Hey all. I just picked up Awakening and am enjoying it. I'm only on Chapter 4 and I can already tell that I'll be starting a lot of battles over due to characters dying. This is my very first Fire Emblem game. Have any tips? Thanks all. :D

YourVeryOwnGeek

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Jun 11, 2007
Pair your units whenever you can, especially your Avatar. You probably won't be using a few of the early units for long, so pick a few units to use specifically as pair fodder to buff the unit you like.

Also, make sure you get Donnel from Paralogue 1. He's one of the strongest units in the game (he falls off post-game, but that's not a major problem) after you swap his class away from Villager. Pair him with Frederick to finish enemies that others have weakened.

Mayonaka_

No Longer a Noob
Jan 25, 2013
Marukyu Striptease
Rad. Thanks. Frederick is a bad ass. Trying not to use him so much. [face_tongue]

Because of the reclass system, Frederick being a pre-promote isn't nearly as bad as in most other FE games. He's one of the only units (actually, I believe Kjelle, MU and Morgan are the only others without certain pairings (([hl=black]any kid Frederick fathers, Stahl/Ricken fathered Noire, Kellam-fathered Brady, Sumia-mothered Lucina[/hl]) with natural access to the Pavise/Aegis combo, which can effectively halve all damage against him if he has high enough skill.

In addition, Wyvern Rider can give him +2 Strength and two of the Weapon Breaker skills (Swordbreaker w/ Wyvern Lord, Lancebreaker w/ Griffon Rider).

that1guy64

Not a mod
Aug 20, 2001
USA
Looks like it's time to start buffing Donnell... I have barely touched him since I got him.

ilovelyn

Noob
Jan 8, 2014
Never played awakening but I clobbered all the gba games plus shadow dragon and Fe6 so my advice is pick a couple units and stick with em

rahdon

Prime Member
Aug 4, 2002
I just started playing as well and I'm kinda bummed that Donnel died in the mission where you get him, i'm on mission 6 now though, would it be worth completely restarting to get him?

Karzahni

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 8, 2007
Don't like losing people permanently in games so I played through casual. However I was unable to recruit Donnel...

Watch_Over_Me

No Longer a Noob
Oct 1, 2013
Yea. I started playing this game again. The first time I played I only got to chapter 4, and got side-tracked by something.

This game is pretty hard. I'm playing on Normal/Casual, and I'm still having a rough time. I'm not use to a game where characters can be 1-shot or 2-shot'd. And not being able to use items and attacks in the same turn is horrible. On top of that, the power-levels are ALL over the place. Frederick is LEAGUES ahead of everyone. My main character and Chrom are BOUNDS ahead of everyone else. And Donnell and the chick on the pegasus are super weak. I can't even attack with the chick on the pegasus, because the counter attack will normally kill her, lol.

Not sure if I'm going to continue playing it or not. Doesn't feel like my cup of tea so far. Seems like to much of a learning curve for my taste. If this is Normal, I can't imagine how hard Hard is.