kappjake

Noob
Jan 30, 2011
I am having problems crafting in far cry 4. My issue is I go kill the animal it says I need the skin for and after I kill and skin it I go back to the crafting menu and it says I have 0 of that animal. I don't know what I'm doing wrong I need help.

Jun 18, 2012
Could be you're damaging the skin too much, in which case it won't even be usable for crafting.

Look in your loot bag (go to map, scroll to Collection), it will show if you have damaged skins.

Best way to hunt is with the Harvester skill and the Recurve Bow with Marksman sight. This way you do minimal damage and get two skins each kill with many animals (not all of them). Rhinos are about the only animal that can take lots of damage and still have a usable skin.

Try sitting atop the rocks at the corner of the rock wall at the Tea Terraces outpost after liberating it and throw bait. It will cycle between Tigers, Bears, Wolves, Dholes, Clouded Leopards, and Snow Leopards.

Last edited:

Kanejr00

Retired IGN Mod
Jun 17, 2004
USA
^Yeah, try using the bow, because if you damage the skin too much it will be useless. Also, make sure you're hunting the right animal...

JVgamer

Star
Aug 26, 2002
Cabin in the woods
^Yeah, try using the bow, because if you damage the skin too much it will be useless. Also, make sure you're hunting the right animal...

What about killing a Rhino? I've shot one about 8 times in the head with a bow and it just won't die. Is there any way to get a clean kill on a Rhino? I had to light it on fire to kill it which damaged the pelt.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Is there any way to get a clean kill on a Rhino? I had to light it on fire to kill it which damaged the pelt.
Yeah fire is the one thing that does too much damage, and the bow is not powerful enough.

Easiest ways to kill rhinos are...

Ride an elephant and charge them while goring them with their tusks.

C4 or mines

Get atop a tall rock, toss a rock to lure them toward you, toss a grenade so it lands near their head, then another right after, then get in some shotgun blasts. It's safe to chase them down if there's more rocks where they stop.

The M79 grenade launcher.

More risky, but you can also lure them with rocks in front of a machine gun nest.

JVgamer

Star
Aug 26, 2002
Cabin in the woods
Is there any way to get a clean kill on a Rhino? I had to light it on fire to kill it which damaged the pelt.
Yeah fire is the one thing that does too much damage, and the bow is not powerful enough.

Easiest ways to kill rhinos are...

Ride an elephant and charge them while goring them with their tusks.

C4 or mines

Get atop a tall rock, toss a rock to lure them toward you, toss a grenade so it lands near their head, then another right after, then get in some shotgun blasts. It's safe to chase them down if there's more rocks where they stop.

The M79 grenade launcher.

More risky, but you can also lure them with rocks in front of a machine gun nest.

Rhinos are ridiculously tough, I still don't see how you're ever going to get a "clean kill" on a rhino for double the pelts. I sat there from a boat near the shoreline and pumped about 10+ shots into a rhino's head with a sniper rifle, and it still didn't die. Tough bastiges!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
...I still don't see how you're ever going to get a "clean kill" on a rhino for double the pelts.
Like I said above, you can get double pelts only on some animals.

Once you get the M79, which can be had free on the rare demon fish Kyrat Fashion Week quest, getting rhinos is easy. So it really doesn't matter that you only get one pelt, esp since not many rhino pelts are needed.

It's not as big a deal as you're making it sound. I've hunted them with just grenades, shotgun and throwing knives and never thought much of it.

Last edited:

JVgamer

Star
Aug 26, 2002
Cabin in the woods
...I still don't see how you're ever going to get a "clean kill" on a rhino for double the pelts.
Like I said above, you can get double pelts only on some animals.

Once you get the M79, which can be had free on the rare demon fish Kyrat Fashion Week quest, getting rhinos is easy. So it really doesn't matter that you only get one pelt, esp since not many rhino pelts are needed.

It's not as big a deal as you're making it sound. I've hunted them with just grenades, shotgun and throwing knives and never thought much of it.

I just jumped on an elephant and rammed about 6 of them to death.

Kanejr00

Retired IGN Mod
Jun 17, 2004
USA

What about killing a Rhino? I've shot one about 8 times in the head with a bow and it just won't die. Is there any way to get a clean kill on a Rhino? I had to light it on fire to kill it which damaged the pelt.
Usually if you shoot rhinos in the head and stop shooting right when they die you will get a clean kill. I've done it plenty of times.

DocD666

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 18, 2007
Killed 4 rhino's in a row, clean kills I think, with just throwing knives. lol. A lil cheat.

May 24, 2009

It takes a lot of arrows to kill a rhino. I brought one down after hitting it with at least 15 arrows.
Qc0QSnr.jpg

ByteMee

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 15, 2008

It takes a lot of arrows to kill a rhino. I brought one down after hitting it with at least 15 arrows.

Looks like a pincushion!