Feb 8, 2010
I've been doing a lot of searching into Fable's storied development recently, so I think I'll post my findings here.

I've mainly been looking into the PC version of Fable TLC, and found a few things - not everything, as it'll take me a long time to thourougly search the games files for any unused stuff/oddities.

The first thing I found was a number of unused fanfares in the sound files - one that appears to have been used at one point for a quest complete jingle. The title of the file is HERO_WIN. A jingle does play when you fail a mission, and the file of that sound is called HERO_FAIL. Here's the sound file:

There's also 10 files labled simply as fanfare. While these are unused in this game, some of them were reused for Fable 2's fanfares. You can find three of these fanfares in my YT profile (I'll upload the rest some other time lol).

I haven't really taken an in-depth look at the other files in the game, but from my skimming I've found a few things. One thing being that TLC appears to be called "Fable 1.5" in the games files.

Here's probably the biggest piece of info that I've found from skimming over files: Does anyone remember back when Fable was first released and there was a rumor about the supposed "Dragon Cliff" where you could fight a dragon? Well, the Dragon Cliff did exist at one point - but it is now known as Archon's Folly, the place where you fight Jack's dragon form. All of the files for that place refer to it as Dragon Cliff. In fact, I don't think any of the files for the area refer to it as Archon's Folly. Whether this means that Archon's Folly is a modified area or something completely new is in Lionhead's vault and Molyneux's mind. Apparently there was some files in the original Xbox version of Fable titled "Dragon Cliff" but loading them up in the game just gives you black nothingness.

On a final note until I have fresh information to post about - I can't access the original Fable's files at the moment due to me not having an original copy of the game or a working Xbox. It might be a possibility some time in the future however.