insane_Jerichoholic

I'm funny damnit!
Sep 5, 2003
Yorkshire
Manual has quicker shift speed, meaning it is quicker overall. Also allows you to use engine braking on certain cars to slow you down quicker in corners.

As a hot-lapper it has to be full manual for me.

Melted3D-johnsmith

Lesane Parish Crooks
Oct 10, 2005
I use manual w/out clutch when I'm racing against the computer just so I don't have to concentrate much, when I play online I use manual with. Overnall, Manual > Automatic.

ImpossibleAstronaut

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 27, 2011
A Blue Box
Both.

When I get a new car, I usually set it to automatic at first, just to get used to the way it handles, etc. Once I've been using a car for a while, I'll switch to Manual for optimal performance.

Sep 18, 2006
I acutually prefer manual but my current wheel the paddles are not working. Any one using a manual on a Controller let? And how is it?

Lemmys_Wart

Super Star
May 25, 2007
[blockquote]Aurelius5150 posted:
I acutually prefer manual but my current wheel the paddles are not working. Any one using a manual on a Controller let? And how is it?
[/blockquote]
I use the manual with clutch on the controller and it works fine. I've not had any problems. Manual w/clutch and all assists off is the way to go. Taking the Peugot prototype around Nordschleife with those settings is so fun and challenging.

RootBeerTuna

Professional Prostate Inspector
Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
^^^^^^ I'm the same. I've been using manual with clutch since Forza 3 on a regular xbox controller. My only problem with it is my hand cramps up after a few races. Who here uses the A button as the clutch? That's what I'm using, but I've thinking about switching to the Left Bumper, maybe my hand won't hurt as much.

Melted3D-johnsmith

Lesane Parish Crooks
Oct 10, 2005
I've recently switched all the aids off, except simulation steering, and it is so much more fun. Once you get the knack of using the clutch, it just becomes automatic to you, and having to judge and remember every turn, depending on your car and the upgrades you have is great. Love this game even more now, and for those of you who are sort of on the edge of bumping up the difficulty, do it! It is so much more fun.

RootBeerTuna

Professional Prostate Inspector
Feb 1, 2006
Surrey, BC Canada
I've got all aids switched off except 'best line' which I will eventually turn off once I race on all the courses a few more times. Forza 3 was the first game I started turning all the assists off and I found I got much better laptimes with all assists off. It may be a pain in the ass if you screw up in a corner and lock your brakes, or accelerate too quickly and end up spinning after leaving a corner, but that's the best way to learn. To anyone who still drives with assists, turn them off and practice until you can handle driving without ABS or TCS, you'll definitely find you get a lot faster lap times with assists off.

Melted3D-johnsmith

Lesane Parish Crooks
Oct 10, 2005
RootBeerTuna said:
I've got all aids switched off except 'best line' which I will eventually turn off once I race on all the courses a few more times. Forza 3 was the first game I started turning all the assists off and I found I got much better laptimes with all assists off. It may be a pain in the ass if you screw up in a corner and lock your brakes, or accelerate too quickly and end up spinning after leaving a corner, but that's the best way to learn. To anyone who still drives with assists, turn them off and practice until you can handle driving without ABS or TCS, you'll definitely find you get a lot faster lap times with assists off.
It's a lot more rewarding as well.

Mar 5, 2011
Auto simply because I don't have a manual setup. All I got is a controller. And playing manual on a controller is just stupid as hell.

insane_Jerichoholic

I'm funny damnit!
Sep 5, 2003
Yorkshire
Just did a test to see how much difference there is between using manual and automatic gearing.

Circuit: 2 laps - Road Atlanta Short - Suzuki Liana - I picked this track because it is one of my favourite tracks that I drive well on.

First of all I should point out that I chose to do the test with traction control on, simply because I wanted to be able to accelerate hard without having to worry about any issues with the power getting to the track so there was more consistency.

Automatic: 1:36.830 -- 1:25.598
Manual: 1:33.044 -- 1:24.443
Man/Clutch: 1:31.309 -- 1:23.628

As you can see, under a regular lap there is a 1 second difference between Auto/Manual and manual/Manual with clutch. Giving Manual with clutch a full 2 seconds advantage over auto.

The biggest difference seems to be with the starting lap. Automatic was far slower to accelerate from the line than the other two. Part of the reason for this is that auto does not allow you to rev the engine and find the optimal point for the start. It also seems to have a habit of short shifting when changing up gears which costs a fair amount of time as well.

It's also worth noting that it is no efficient in down shifting either. On the chicane near the end of the track, the auto gears where dropping me down to 2nd half way through the corner, where as with both manual settings I was in 2nd before turning in. So very in efficient there.

Also on the steepish hill that goes up to the straight prior to that chicane, auto gears didn't drop from 4th to 3rd until it was nearly at the top. This meant the car lost a lot of speed going up it and was at 60mph after the shift.
At that same spot using manual gears I shifted down earlier to maintain a better speed, in manual the speed was at 74mph and 76mph with manual clutch which under normal racing would obviously mean auto is a huge disadvantage at this spot.

Clearly when it comes to gears, using automatic is really not suggested and will leave you lagging behind similar skill drivers who use manual settings.

It's also worth noting that I ran a 4th time without TCS (manual with clutch) and that time too was faster than with TCS.

1:31.309 -- 1:23.628
1:30.919 -- 1:23.526

The times in this case seem to be negligible though, as with only a two lap test it isn't clear whether the change is simply better laps on my part, or down to the TCS. Being a front engined FWD car, it's more likely that such a small difference was down to be rather than an aid and a test of no less than 10 laps with each setting would be in order to rule out my driving in this particular case.

Hoped that help others who are wondering whether it is worth learning to use manual gears over the auto setting.

ForzaOne

Almost Not a Noob
May 20, 2005
Manual with clutch is faster on the road tracks.
I use the Microsoft Force Feedback racing wheel.

A clutch is not required for Oval racing though to have fast lap times.

DuctTapeNinja

Lord of Lard
Jan 1, 2006
Manual with clutch is faster on the road tracks.
I use the Microsoft Force Feedback racing wheel.

A clutch is not required for Oval racing though to have fast lap times.
A wheel is though. Oval racing is 100% about being extremely smooth and precise, which you cannot do with the controller. [face_tongue]

I have a wireless MS wheel, but I hate using it. I only use it if I need to put in a real quick oval time.

Clutchless manual only here. I've tried to switch to manual with clutch a few times, but I just can't do it. I drive a manual with clutch every day in real life, but I just can't do it consistently at speed in game.

Last edited:

KCD1XD

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 15, 2006
I drive/drift manual w/ a controller. I don't use a clutch though; it's just not close enough to a real clutch to make me happy.

HiNRG888

Noob
Jun 19, 2012
[blockquote]Aurelius5150 posted:
[/blockquote]
I use the manual with clutch on the controller and it works fine. I've not had any problems. Manual w/clutch and all assists off is the way to go. Taking the Peugot prototype around Nordschleife with those settings is so fun and challenging.

i use manual on the controller i find its actually really good but then again i havent come across using a steering wheel.

Aug 29, 2012
Forza - Real Life (What Forza Should be) - As Seen In

Automatic - Automatic - Your moms Minivan

Manual - Sequential - F1, Ferrari, Lambos, BMWs, Bugatti Veyron, Rally X cars

Manual With Clutch - Manual - English Driving cars (MGs and stuff), Drift speced cars, Rally Cars

Last edited: