Gunde

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 31, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I gave it a good once over. Initial thoughts: I like it!! But I need to hear more. The streams I heard had really bad compression. Looking forward to the real deal.

Aug 4, 2013
I really enjoyed their new album. Not a fan of the snare drum still though. Best song on the album for me at the moment is The Bigger Picture

Starky111777

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 27, 2007
Seems more Prog Rocky to me...The only song I really like is the Epic Illumination Theory *except for that useless fake ending)...I always really liked their 10-12 minute long songs...Make Scarred 2, Voices 2, A change of Seasons 2, a Trial of Tears 2, Lines in the sand 2, learning to live 2...Have more epics and memorable openings, I think everything changed after octavarium...the vocal direction did...I think I prefer a dramatic turn of events to this one

It's a "grower," for sure. DT has been my favorite band since '98, but upon first listen, I was actually slightly disappointed, but after listening to the record a few times, it's starting to grow on me. "The Bigger Picture," "Surrender to Reason," and "Illumination Theory" are standout tracks for me. (That break after the first chorus in "Surrender to Reason" is AWESOME!) For an instrumental, "Enigma Machine" is really weak for me, though. It's just not in the same league as something like "Dance of Eternity" or "Erotomania," or even "Stream of Consciousness."

However, I am loving Mangini's work on the kit -- it's certainly a stronger presence than on ADTOE, and JP's tone is top-notch as usual, although I feel like he's shredding a bit too much on this one and had more variety within his solos and just a better performance on ADTOE. JM kills it as well, but I feel like Labrie is playing it safe. I don't blame him though; age is catching up, and he still sounds really good, regardless. Rudess is sort of just there; I might need a few more listens, but I feel like he's contributed more on previous records.

Overall, it's a solid record.

Sep 10, 2013
DT is one of my favorite bands. I've listened to it 2 or 3 times now and I like it. "The Looking Glass" sounds like it came directly off of a Rush album, though not necessarily a bad thing. The big problem I have is with "Illumination Theory" is the break in the middle of it that frankly doesn't need to be there. I need to give it more time and I do think it's a grower. It didn't come up and slap me in the face like Train of Thought did when that came out.

Starky111777

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 27, 2007
Yea I agree, that Gap in Illumination Theory is 4 minutes long...completely pointless...Train of thought slapped me and I liked it

Starky111777

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 27, 2007
Yea I agree, that Gap in Illumination Theory is 4 minutes long...completely pointless...Train of thought slapped me and I liked it

DT is one of my favorite bands. I've listened to it 2 or 3 times now and I like it. "The Looking Glass" sounds like it came directly off of a Rush album, though not necessarily a bad thing. The big problem I have is with "Illumination Theory" is the break in the middle of it that frankly doesn't need to be there. I need to give it more time and I do think it's a grower. It didn't come up and slap me in the face like Train of Thought did when that came out.

I like "Looking Glass," but the ending is the most awkward abrupt ending I've ever heard in a DT song. "Illumination Theory" probably could've done without the long break in the middle; I enjoy the symphonic section, and I understand that they were trying to reestablish the intro/end theme, but they bring it back so well at the end that it probably didn't need to be there at all. After a few more listens though, I'm feeling like "The Bigger Picture" is probably the best track on the record.

Jul 4, 2013
Loving the album. I actually like the little ambient string section part in Illumination Theory. There is not a moment on this cd that I don't like to be honest. Been a huge fan of these guys since 2005 and since then this would probably be their best release in a long time. I really love how much more you can hear Myungs bass on this album. Can't wait to see these guys on tour!

Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
I haven't listened to Dream Theater in a while so I decided to catch up.
Wasn't a huge fan of s/t but I'm really enjoying A Dramatic Turn of Events.