May 4, 2015
The story is short, shallow, cliched and amounts to sequelbait.

The action combat is uninspired and the weakest to date.

The tactical combat is a mess and the weakest to date.

The companions are interesting but not deep enough unless you romance them, and you can only romance one at a time.

The quest structure is mostly horrendous filler.

The level design is beautiful, but comes at too heavy a cost.

The game has no idea what it wants to be, but it sure isn't a Dragon Age game.

http://ilikecommas.deviantart.com/journal/Let-s-Talk-About-Dragon-Age-Part-the-First-530483275

AWARRY

Super Star
Nov 3, 2003
while i liked the combat of Origins the best.... Inquisitions combat is way better then in DA2

i only use the Tactical view in combat.

some side quests suck... others are great... like most games..

really like the Star Drawing things...

there is something about DA I that hasn't drawn me in like Origins did..

Ive actually have DA I on hold right now... been playing a few others for the time being, but will be getting back into it soon

May 4, 2015
while i liked the combat of Origins the best.... Inquisitions combat is way better then in DA2

i only use the Tactical view in combat.

some side quests suck... others are great... like most games..

really like the Star Drawing things...

there is something about DA I that hasn't drawn me in like Origins did..

Ive actually have DA I on hold right now... been playing a few others for the time being, but will be getting back into it soon

I think it would be if: the classes and specializations were better balanced, companion AI was programmable and mental/physical resistance was reimplemented. As it is, the stuff you really want to control is immune, while everything else dies so fast once you get specializations that there's no need for control/tactical considerations. And that's not even to speak of the lack of healing options.

I used it mostly against dragons. It was a chore to use, unfortunately.

Most of the sidequests suck, the vast majority. There are good ones, but given the lacking state of the main quest they feel more like watered down main quest stages than diversions.

Star Drawings are okay, but they'd be better if crafting didn't invalidate eighty percent of the loot you find in the rooms.

That would be the genericized setting, uninspired story, cliche villain and relatively shallow companions at work. The latter are better than most other games, of course, but arguably the weakest in the series to date.

May 4, 2015
I've never played it, but it just seems like EA trying to make an elder scrolls game.
That's not an unreasonable sentiment. I bet Bethesda wishes they'd had Zeni drop the online component and hack a half-baked story onto their subpar MMO.

They're too honest for that, thankfully.

Makss

Noob
Dec 8, 2010
I bet you're a CoD, BF fan - take the same game, spin new locations and characters, rinse and repeat.

Sorry, but DA is a series that changes and evolves, not always for the best (DA2), but INQ is trully a masterpiece. And as for the points you made:

1. Sure. Yeah. Why not. Tell me a story in any medium that is not a cliche of smt that has been made over a dozen times. Aside from GoT, every TV series, movie and video game has elements that have been somewhere else before. You CAN'T make an original game and expect it to reach broad masses. Look at Planescape: Torment - best RPG ever made, with a unique approach to RP and it flat linned at sales, though garnering universal acclaim for its story. You have to appease a lot more people than 100k to be able to keep making games in 21st century.

2. 3. It's not an action combat. Forget DA2 hack and slash attempts. Don't play the game at Easy setting and complain its to 'Easy', bump the difficulty and we'll see how ininspired and weak the combat system is.

4. Not deep enough? There are not 2 even remotely comparable characters in DA:I, they all have their unique story and reasons to be who they are. Calling BioWare characters boring...you're disagreeing with almost the entire gaming community out there. Com'on, undersand what you're saying!

5. Yes, yes. We know, you probably saw a similar quest in The Game: The Orginal Game, The Completely Unique Experience.

6. At a heavy price? So you had nothing else to say and just randomly typed stuff that came in your mind?

7. Ummm, there is a simple and perfectly understandable idea of what the game want to be and what it is... its a High Fantasy RPG ;)

May 4, 2015
I bet you're a CoD, BF fan - take the same game, spin new locations and characters, rinse and repeat.

Sorry, but DA is a series that changes and evolves, not always for the best (DA2), but INQ is trully a masterpiece. And as for the points you made:

First off, I haven't played Call of Duty since number two, and I have never played a Battlefield game. While I can only guess at the high level of esteem you must hold for me in assuming I'm a dedicated fan of games that sell so many more units than Inquisition ever will, I can't stomach the idea of perpetuating such falsehood solely to benefit my reputation on this website and in regard to such a fine, intelligent individual as yourself.

I would, at this point, like to thank you for taking time away from your busy day of correcting errors in dictionaries and making comprehensive psychological profiles of people based on snippets of online correspondence to address the most basic distillation of my well-researched and -documented issues with the game in the fastest, least effort-intensive manner possible.

1. Sure. Yeah. Why not. Tell me a story in any medium that is not a cliche of smt that has been made over a dozen times. Aside from GoT, every TV series, movie and video game has elements that have been somewhere else before. You CAN'T make an original game and expect it to reach broad masses. Look at Planescape: Torment - best RPG ever made, with a unique approach to RP and it flat linned at sales, though garnering universal acclaim for its story. You have to appease a lot more people than 100k to be able to keep making games in 21st century.

While I could go on about how Dragon Age: Origins both artfully twisted or avoided clichés to create a compelling story and became BioWare's best-selling game due to word of mouth created by its strong characters, aforementioned story and engaging gameplay (before the franchise was sunk into the depths of mediocrity to keep Star Wars: The Old Republic afloat long enough to run aground four months after launch), or go further into what a cliché actually is and how to re-employ common themes and tropes in a genre without falling into clichés (hint: it involves time and effort), I'll just point you once more at the journal link in my first post, where I already did that.

2. 3. It's not an action combat. Forget DA2 hack and slash attempts. Don't play the game at Easy setting and complain its to 'Easy', bump the difficulty and we'll see how ininspired and weak the combat system is.

Yes, clearly. The game's biggest triumph over DA2 is that you now have to hold down the button instead of press it repeatedly to autoattack, "button = gameplay" is an enormous improvement over "repeated button = gameplay," of course.

I'm not sure where you inferred that I played the game on the Easy difficulty setting, as I never explicitly (or implicitly) stated that. I'll chalk it up to you having read my link (despite having shown no other signs of doing so) and somehow misconstrued my short, but thorough address of the clichés you reference above, near the very beginning of the journal, as a recipe for mild avocado dip, and subsequently, despite your obvious mastery of the English language, somehow misread me saying the game was "criminally easy" during the hardest fights as "on the Easy difficulty."

Never fear, we all make mistakes. I'd like to once again take a moment to thank you, this time for sharing the new formal spelling of "uninspired" with the rest of us amateur word checkers, though it may take some time to work that particular alteration into my vocabulary. Now, if you would just read carefully through those linked journals to the logical conclusion wherein I detail how Inquisition's gameplay contains a weak form of action combat, perhaps you could better understand my point.

4. Not deep enough? There are not 2 even remotely comparable characters in DA:I, they all have their unique story and reasons to be who they are. Calling BioWare characters boring...you're disagreeing with almost the entire gaming community out there. Com'on, undersand what you're saying!

Hrm. Aside from the fact that your first question is apparently about depth, and not specifically phrased towards companions (which is where my original criticism is leveled), and that you then answer it with a response that seems to be based on the assumption that I feel that way about the characters because they're "too similar to each other" (and I am curious as to where you acquired that notion), the link above details how these characters are subpar for BioWare companions, not because they're not. They'd be okay as Bethesda companions (but still lacking a bit of depth, in my opinion), while most any other modern AAA (or AAA-owned/subservient) videogame developer would have to do very good work to have so many characters with such merely adequate depth.

As for disagreeing with the community, well, there's nothing inherently wrong with going against the majority, if that is the case. I can, however, take solace in the fact that I'm not alone in my views in this community, much less on BioWare's forums or other communities throughout the world:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631230-dragon-age-inquisition/70874546?page=2
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5372...its-all-about-direction-and-focus/?p=18173542
http://www.lazygamer.net/24/a-look-back-at-dragon-age-inquisition-three-months-after-release/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-of-the-year-is-like-crash-winning-the-oscar/
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition/user-reviews

5. Yes, yes. We know, you probably saw a similar quest in The Game: The Orginal Game, The Completely Unique Experience.

Actually, the quest structure feels more like that in "World of Warcraft: That Game I Played At A Friend's House Once For Twenty Minutes Before Quitting Because It Was Boring." If you're going to steal, at least steal the good parts from games that did them well.

I would've eaten my own socks for a "The Game: The Original Game, The Completely Unique Experience" rip-off, or, heck, even a swipe of "The Game 2: The Lackluster Sequel That Nevertheless Hits All The Right High Points For Fans Of The First Game, The Frustratingly More Common Experience!"

6. At a heavy price? So you had nothing else to say and just randomly typed stuff that came in your mind?

I'm sorry! I assumed any intelligent person interested enough in my points to qualitatively agree or disagree would at least go through the effort of reading the in-depth analysis of the game provided in the link in my first post. Clearly I mis-estimated(?) your deep, cerebral thought process: the aforementioned heavy cost would be the "filler-laden quest structure," with a heavy dash of "repetitive combat" and a smothering pinch of "the main story is too short and clichéd."

As detailed in the link above.

7. Ummm, there is a simple and perfectly understandable idea of what the game want to be and what it is... its a High Fantasy RPG ;)

You're right about that, it's high fantasy as heck! It has stereotypical dragons, haughty elves, greedy dwarves, generically-motivated demons, shallow elemental magic and a hero marked by an ancient artifact! Heck, they even introduced giants and a main villain whose great evil plan was disrupted when a nonmagical, untrained old woman slapped him!

What's not high fantasy about that? (Well, aside from the fact that it arguably isn't epic in scope given the cornball incompetence of the main villain.)

But even so, it's not a Dragon Age game, and that is the problem. Now if it had been called "High Fantasy Inquisition: This Was Conceived As An MMO But We Removed That Functionality And Tacked On A Ten-Hour Main Quest" then, well, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Here's that link again, just in case you somehow missed it: http://ilikecommas.deviantart.com/journal/Let-s-Talk-About-Dragon-Age-Part-the-First-530483275

Edgar Allan Moe.jpg
Have a good day!

xJoshox

Noob
Feb 4, 2015

The companions are interesting but not deep enough unless you romance them, and you can only romance one at a time.

http://ilikecommas.deviantart.com/journal/Let-s-Talk-About-Dragon-Age-Part-the-First-530483275
What really sucks about this is i totally agree with everything you said. Still, i can't stop playing it. This must be how Clash of Clans players feel

CHawk15

Prime Member
Jul 20, 2011
I disagree. BW felt that they wanted to add more of an open world element to the Dragon Age formula to increase the playtime and replayability. Personally, I thought they did a pretty good job of mixing those elements together. There is room for refinement and improvement, but this was my favorite DA game to play in the series. The story of Origins was better, but Inquisition is much more fun to play and has lots more to do.

Makss

Noob
Dec 8, 2010
No need to succumb to insults. You can pretend to be an adult, but please, act as one, too.

1. Yes, the 1st game was set in so much more elaborate universe, that every them from that game is present DA:I, so it must be a cliche. And I would say that even a person with semi decent intelligence, such as yourself (you claim), knows what a cliche is. And every game, movie, TV series in the world is based upon cliches, which is the reason for their success, both critically and financially. There are bunch on unique games, most of them indie game, and most you've never heard of and never will, for the simple fact - they don't speak to broader audiences, so it doesn't make money, it doesn't matter. DA:I has been a success for BW, saying it sucks, is just trolling.

2. You're just stating your original thought with couple more sentences.

4. Returning to the 1st - it's called trolling. Internet uses the slang - haters. People go from forums to forums to simply diss at a game, because they like Mario, Zelda, FF better.

5. So you're saying that DA:I did bad? Multiple GOTY awards from critics and people choice... Yes, you're obviously right, because it's YOUR opinion. Sheldon much?

6. The main story is nothing in an RPG game. Main story makes up for 10% of the game. If you want a story, play linear games. RPG are about experience and storytelling, not just the main plot. Skyrims main plot is hilariously short compared to the game itself. Same as Baldurs Gate. Its filled with short and quick quests to make the world feel alive. If you don't see it, than maybe you're not as intelligent as you think you are.

7. And where did BW state the game would be 'a copy or close to the 1st game'? As the developers said - they are looking at DA:I more as an open world action RPG, its meant to be immersive and appealing, not unique. You knew what the game would be when you got into it, so there's no real need to complain. If you don't like, fine, just say that, personally, you don't like it. But to say that a game is bad and it 'sucks' (such a great word for an 'intelligent person'), is just showing ones immaturity and presumptuous attitude towards life. Games are good or bad, despite your personal feelings towards them, and if you quote Metacritics page you can see its Metascore, I don't think it qualifies as 'Bad game, Sucks'.

Cheers! ;)

May 4, 2015
No need to succumb to insults. You can pretend to be an adult, but please, act as one, too.

(You should be reading this with an Orlesian accent.)

Agreed! There's also no need to imply someone has lacking or inappropriate taste in games for the subject at hand,

lacks the skill to play the game as the developers intended,
Don't play the game at Easy setting and complain its to 'Easy', bump the difficulty and we'll see how ininspired and weak the combat system is.

lacks the wherewithal to create a coherent argument,
At a heavy price? So you had nothing else to say and just randomly typed stuff that came in your mind?

or has failed to understand what genre a game is supposed to be in,
Ummm, there is a simple and perfectly understandable idea of what the game want to be and what it is... its a High Fantasy RPG ;)

as a basis for an argument. That would be terribly uncivil.

1. Yes, the 1st game was set in so much more elaborate universe, that every them from that game is present DA:I, so it must be a cliche. And I would say that even a person with semi decent intelligence, such as yourself (you claim), knows what a cliche is. And every game, movie, TV series in the world is based upon cliches, which is the reason for their success, both critically and financially. There are bunch on unique games, most of them indie game, and most you've never heard of and never will, for the simple fact - they don't speak to broader audiences, so it doesn't make money, it doesn't matter. DA:I has been a success for BW, saying it sucks, is just trolling.

I'm sorry, apparently I'm not smart enough to understand your point (or maybe I am and your point is just that terrible):
You said I said the story was clichéd (which I did);
Then you asserted that there are no original stories (demonstrating a remarkable capacity for stupidity or perfidity, I'll assume the latter);
I then asserted that there is a difference between clichés and themes/tropes, where the first is distinguished by being lazy and unimaginative (and thus bad, it has nothing to with it having already been done);
You then asserted that there are no original stories EXCEPT when it comes to indie games (demonstrating a remarkable capacity for stupidity or perfidity, I'll assume the latter), which don't speak to broader audiences (apparently due to the fact that they try to be original, and not because they don't get a substantial portion of EA's enormous marketing budget).

So your point is, in summation, that despite the (apparently shaky) assumption that I know what a cliché, you (despite demonstrably lacking in knowledge of what constitutes a cliché) are confident in saying that clichés are the only way for games (not to mention movies and TV series) to achieve financial and critical success (assuming that Dragon Age: Origins wasn't both of those, which is clearly not the case, because it was BioWare's greatest success during the worst economy gaming had seen in almost thirty years).

As for success =/= sucking, I could do the easy thing and point to Justin Bieber, or Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. But I'll go just a LITTLE farther and shoot for a 2014 videogame series with better sales and worse reviews than Dragon Age's 2014 outing.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/826287-assassins-creed-rogue/critic
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xboxone/772634-assassins-creed-unity/critic

Average Critic Rating: 7.17 (note that actual player reviews are markedly worse)

Average Sales: 10 million+ between two games for 5 million each, averaged (Ubisoft has failed to release sales figures for Unity alone, to my knowledge)

So, is Inquisition a financial success (based mostly on early sales like its lacking predecessor)? Yes.

Does selling a lot of copies necessarily make a game (or anything, even) good? No. (I thought we learned this lesson with Dragon Age 2.)

Of course, all that is assuming I didn't say Inquisition is merely a mediocre game lacking in vision that is contextually terrible given the time and expense involved in its creation, and principally its existence as a sequel to another, much better game. (See the link in my first post.)

2. You're just stating your original thought with couple more sentences.

You know, when I was younger, my brother and I decided to snort the pepper shaker. (We were 6 and lacking supervision at the time.) He went first, and boy did he hate it. He cried and screamed, his face turned beet red. He fell on the ground and clutched his nose, and wailed about how it burned. Of course, that didn't stop me from going next.

Then an adult came and told us (a few minutes too late, I'll note) that snorting pepper was a bad idea.

Now, while that story was completely irrelevant to the discussion, it was at least somewhat entertaining. I will, however, congratulate you on finding a faster, less-effort and -thought intensive way to not make a point at all. You're "improving!"

4. Returning to the 1st - it's called trolling. Internet uses the slang - haters. People go from forums to forums to simply diss at a game, because they like Mario, Zelda, FF better.

Barring an unofficially agreed-upon definition of the word "trolling," I'll fall back on the dictionary.com context-relevant connotation:
  1. to post inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments on (the Internet, especially a message board) for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.
Now, if you'd bothered to read the journals I linked above (or made the effort to create one of your comprehensive psychological profiles), you'd understand I did this to share my (entirely legitimate) criticisms of the game, and of the gaming industry in general (in the context of AAA publishers ignorantly destroying our hobby and eroding consumer confidence in the quality of videogames for the sake of immediate profit).

I wouldn't troll. I'm afraid if I did I'd get addicted (like everybody else in my family is to alcohol and cigarettes) and ultimately get hired by EA and/or Activision to troll people who rightly point out the flaws in their games professionally, make ludicrous amounts of money and set myself up as a minor dictator in Tanzania, whereupon I would construct several nuclear power plants along a 150-mile long orbital railgun over a period of twenty years, bankrupting my country to facilitate my dream of building a moon palace.

5. So you're saying that DA:I did bad? Multiple GOTY awards from critics and people choice... Yes, you're obviously right, because it's YOUR opinion. Sheldon much?

It would be a shame if you had already run out of disingenuous arguments and had to resort to putting words in my mouth while making unfounded comparisons to easily-mocked television characters in order to create a strawman you can then easily tear down. Of course Inquisition didn't do bad, it sold millions of copies and likely saved EA from tumbling into well-deserved financial oblivion. (Though it'd be a shame if they did that before they made another Road Rash game, it's been too long!)

But that's not to say Inquisition isn't bad because it sold well (see Assassin's Creed above.)

As for GOTY, aside from the fact that there are so many GOTY awards that are never completely in-tune with each other (not to mention what the gaming community itself actually considers the GOTY), I'll link you to this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GOTY undeserving&l=1
(Hopefully that link stays relevant!)

While most years GOTY is very contentious, 2014 is already being remembered as "the year all the games we were really looking forward to were disappointing" (thanks to AAA games such as Assassin's Creed, Titanfall and Destiny). So, in this context, Game of the Year holds precious little weight.

6. The main story is nothing in an RPG game. Main story makes up for 10% of the game. If you want a story, play linear games. RPG are about experience and storytelling, not just the main plot. Skyrims main plot is hilariously short compared to the game itself. Same as Baldurs Gate. Its filled with short and quick quests to make the world feel alive. If you don't see it, than maybe you're not as intelligent as you think you are.

Skyrim aside, every well-received (and sometimes even financially successfully!) RPG released in the past ten years has had a deep, engrossing main story. Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Final Fantasy (take your pick, I like VII the most), Fable, Dragon Age: Origins, Dark Souls, The Witcher (2 is the best so far; imagine that, a good sequel to a fantasy game?), Mass Effect (the whole series right up until the very end).

Aside from all that, asserting that RPGs are about "storytelling" and not "the main plot" brings to mind a level of cognitive function that usually accompanies rolling your mother's motorhome end-over-end while taking a hard right around dead man's curve as you film your best friend attempting to set a tornado on fire with his mother's zippo lighter and his own tex-mex induced flatulence. (An engaging main plot hinges on good storytelling, by the way.)

7. And where did BW state the game would be 'a copy or close to the 1st game'? As the developers said - they are looking at DA:I more as an open world action RPG, its meant to be immersive and appealing, not unique. You knew what the game would be when you got into it, so there's no real need to complain. If you don't like, fine, just say that, personally, you don't like it. But to say that a game is bad and it 'sucks' (such a great word for an 'intelligent person'), is just showing ones immaturity and presumptuous attitude towards life. Games are good or bad, despite your personal feelings towards them, and if you quote Metacritics page you can see its Metascore, I don't think it qualifies as 'Bad game, Sucks'.

Cheers! ;)

Well, aside from everything I said about the nature of a sequel and expectation in that link above (and that really killer Spaghetti Pie analogy), making an open world version of Origins isn't all that hard to imagine. (Note that Inquisition actually isn't open world, it's zoned, like MMOs).

Also Inquisition is lacking in immersion compared to Origins (a criticism described in great detail in that link you apparently still haven't been able to break away from correcting entries in the dictionary to read), and was explicitly described as intended to provide a unique experience by the game's lead developer in an interview on GamingBolt approximately a month before the game's release.
http://gamingbolt.com/dragon-age-inquisition-interview-making-the-definitive-dragon-age-experience

I knew what the game was when I got into it? Really? That's actually the crux of this entire issue: EA (and Bioware very recently: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/19/mass-effect-3-ending-sparks-ftc-complaints/ ) have a pretty solid record of creating hype and then not delivering on that hype. (Again, that Spaghetti Pie analogy comes to mind.) If they'd advertised it as Dragon Age: The Half-Complete Singleplayer MMO, I would gladly agree that buying the game expecting an immersive tactical RPG would have been an act of nearly unbelievable foolishness.

Now, I'm not sure who "ones" is (although he must live in an interesting culture seeing as it's the only I've ever heard of that uses the Roman alphabet and doesn't capitalize personal names), but I'd hate for your incredible misapprehension of my attitude towards life to reflect poorly on him. Nonetheless, your tertiary description of me as immature is partially correct: I've already taken steps to remedy this by revamping my diet and exercise habits while redirecting all my petty cash towards paying off my student loans, as a responsible person should do.

Of course, this being my first go at it I decided to cut myself some slack and buy pizza, movies, videogames, various desserts and an empty bottle of tequila rumored to be present for Salma Hayek's Santanico Pandemonium table dance during the filming of From Dusk Till Dawn, at the cost of several thousand dollars.

As for Inquisition's Metacritic score, I can only reiterate BioWare's claim that this is a "PC Game, made for PC Gamers by PC Gamers," and note that said PC Gamers gave it an average score of 5.8.

Thank you for your time!
Before you respond again I'll ask that you first apologize to "ones" (wherever he may be), and work on your reading comprehension skills before putting thirty-five more seconds of your day into repeatedly describing me as unintelligent despite all evidence to the contrary.

Because Nightmares.jpg
Regards, ILC

Attachments

• Because Nightmares.jpg
    Because Nightmares.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

powersp

No Longer a Noob
Jul 30, 2003
HELL
Sorry, but DA is a series that changes and evolves, not always for the best (DA2), but INQ is trully a masterpiece.
DAI a masterpiece? TRULY A MASTERPIECE? LMFAO!

After my first go, I liked it more than DA2 but less than Origins. After my second go, which I barely even finished, I'm not even sure if I like it better than DA2 anymore lol. DA2 was the same way for me. After my first run, the more I played it the less I liked it. The OP by the OP hits most of the major flaws with the game. I do disagree with his opinion about the combat, but spot on otherwise. The story was AWFUL.

The truth is BW gave us this big, big, beautiful world to play at the expense of about everything else BW used to do well. To the point where, at least for me, it's not really that fun to play around in said world. In fact, it feels like a chore after a while. Especially that 2nd run. I skipped areas altogether my second time through.

Whaaaa? Who the hell are you crappin' lol? We're talking about RPGs here, not MMOs. If story is nothing, then why does any RPG even bother? Answer? Cause it's not nothing. RPG are about xp and storytelling? Oh so YOU get to decide, officially, what the term RPG means? How important, or not at all important as you claim here, the story is? All literally right after busting out a "Sheldon much?" at the OP when, in fact, you are doing a fine Sheldon right here yourself. Also, on the "Sheldon" front, what would you have us do? Say we like a game we don't just to go along with the crowd? Don't rock the boat? I'd honestly rather be viewed as someone that goes "all Sheldon" than someone that just goes along with the crowd no matter what they really think. One more thing, some RPG are linear too. Linear, in of itself, isn't a bad thing. One of BW's better RPG, Jade Empire, was linear.

Now how can you say with any intelligence that the story is nothing, and then just a couple sentences later say "RPG are about experience and STORYTELLING."? Not sure where the disconnect on this happened for you, but guess what? When your story is awful then that means your storytelling is going to be awful too. It's inevitable. They're pretty much the same thing. Like how clouds go with rain.

Finally, Skyrim's mq line is 19 quests long. A standard-ish number for a RPG. DAI has 10, and a couple of those are questionable imo. Like From the Ashes for example. Your first mq after reaching Skyhold. It entails the daunting task of talking to Josie and Varric in the keep. That's it. Quest complete. Sounds more like 9 REAL quests in the main line to me. Either way, it's a pathetic number, and Skyrim's mq line is about double the number of quests. In other words, the two mq lines aren't even comparable size-wise. I've never played a RPG in my life with a mq line as short as DAI. Not even close, and for one THIS big? That's really bad.

Last edited:

powersp

No Longer a Noob
Jul 30, 2003
HELL

I agree with everything but the combat here. DA2 is the worst of the series to date for combat imo. That played out like a bad action movie. Like a 70s kung-fu film lol. Guys appearing literally out of thin air, or jumping off the top of 20ft tall buildings in an alley wave after wave. Killing 10 guys with one swing of 2-h weapon, etc. DAI's combat doesn't suffer nearly as much from those kinds of things like DA2's did.

CHawk15

Prime Member
Jul 20, 2011
It obvious the team's focus was more on creating the open world elements at the expense of the narrative, although things got a lot more interesting in the last 10 minutes in terms of setting up future DLCs/Sequels. Powersp got further than I did, because I took a break after getting to Skyhold in my second run.

DA:I feels like what would happen if ME and Skyrim had a baby IMO. This game was most definitely a step in the right direction and is something the team can build on going forward, I'm going to wait on passing final judgement on the game until all the DLCs are released in terms of story. Defintely helped my opinion of ME3 (especially the ending) because the Leviathan DLC filled in a huge blank, clarified the intent and should have been a part of the main game because it would've made the intent of the ending clear, even if it ws poorly executed.

We kind of have a similar thing in this game where I'm saying WTH did that just happen while I'm watching the credits. I'm guessing they'll be a DLC that aims to clarify that, damn you EA !!!!! [face_tongue]

The group combat and NPC interactions are better in the Bioware games, but they don't hold a candle to the character progression system and world exploration of the TES games.

powersp

No Longer a Noob
Jul 30, 2003
HELL
CHawk! What's up? :)

Well your description definitely doesn't scream "masterpiece" to me either lol, not that YOU said that, but your wait until all the DLC comes out sentiment doesn't really speak well of it either. A masterpiece, or even just a good game, doesn't need DLC to make it good/make the story make sense.

Cory was a terrible villain. Dumb is what he was. Literally lol. The Orlesian Wardens act a fool. Like frightened children. Frightened DUMB children lol. The final battle was lackluster. There was no point in seeing Flemmeth for that quest in the woods other than bringing back a fan fav. I don't see DLC fixing that stuff.

Now that last scene w Flemmeth/Dreaf Wolf you mentioned? Most interesting thing that happened in the game. Too little, too late I'm afraid.

Last edited:

CHawk15

Prime Member
Jul 20, 2011
Corypheus's plan was actually quite genius, but the whole travel into the future and see his plan unfold and be able to go back and stop him angle made him look like a complete fool. Now if we hadn't seen the future and had Corypheus's playbook, I think the story would've been much better. Also, if they had given Corypheus insight into the fact that the Inquisition was alive and well and somehow had gotten word on the master plan so he could change it on the fly, that would've helped as well. The final battle was indeed lackluster. This game was more about the open world they tried to create and less about the narrative.

The Orlesian Wardens were indeed quite gullible, I agree and while I understand how it could happen, the fact that I had to rationalize through it like I did means it wasn't conveyed very well. I thought the whole "Flemeth" angle in the Well of Sorrows was pretty good, but it happened too late in the story IMO to make it useful. I actually liked the revealation about Flemeth in this game, even if it did feel a bit forced. DLC isn't going to fix the story this time. It's very apparent that they spent far more time on creating the more open world environments this time around.

The story isn't great, but the game is far more fun to play this time around. I liked the combat, but they made the classic rookie open world mistake of making all the side quests feel the same.

Aug 24, 2014
I'm not apart of this part I usually hang out on the pc side of things (pc master race [face_tongue]) but I have to coment because dragon age seems to be a talked about game I figure why not. powersp: First off game of thrones is great isn't it?

Now though for the game. I personally enjoyed the game, because it's like the gentleman said up above, "dragon age changes' and that's what's great about this game. And I would like to point that no matter what anyone says the OP's opinion is not a fact, (I'm not saying he is trying to make it but regardless I feel as if it should be said.) Now I am going to give views on this game.

Pros:
1st: Graphics. Now these may not be the best but something that I really like about these graphics is the beauty of them, yes you get games like the witcher 3 and watchdogs from 2012, but this game is one of the most beautyful games I have ever seen.
2nd: Gameplay. Now while I don't really like the gameplay of this game (not my type,) I can atleast thank them for not making it broken.
3rd: Quests. Now while some people say the game is full of fetch quests and there boring I disagree, the reason why is because when a game has fetch quests I don't mind so long as there not like "go here get this than come back" it does have some though like find the drufflo but that's ok because they get you power to move out through the story, and the others though are fetchy I don't mind because they are fun.

Cons:
1st: Story. I don't like the story in dragon age inquistion, why? Because unlike dragon age 2 and origins, you don't really feel connected to your companions as you do in the others.
2nd: Characters. As said up above they are not that great, it's almost like they dulled them down just to make you focus on the story. Something that I loved about dragon age 2 and orgins was the fact that you actually love the characters.
3rd: Lies. They showed us a E3 demo of the game where your destyroing ships and making decsion's on whether or not to send your soldiers in to battle and we got none of that, but the one that pissed me off the most was they stated that some of your companions might leave if they disagree with what your saying/doing yet none of them did that.

And finally my opinion is it's a good game but not the best.

ChrisDaViking

Just Some Guy
Jul 6, 2008
Depths of Obscurity
Do people really have THAT much of an issue with the characters in this game??

I mean look, I agree that some of the characters could have been a little better, but I feel like that wasn't for lack of intent, just lack of execution. I see what they were doing with Vivienne and if they would have just not made her quite so much of a bitch, I think a little tweak here or there and the character is better. I see what they were trying to do with Sara, they wanted a quirky character, but they pushed too hard and she turned out to be just weird. Just a tweak here or there and she's just a little quirky and it works.

I'm sure everybody has their own opinion on which characters were good or bad. I for one have liked Varric since DA2 and also enjoyed Cassandra. And Dorian and The Iron Bull were great characters IMO. I also found myself disappointed that Scout Harding wasn't eventually part of my party, or a LI beyond some flirtations. She was awesome! I also thought the team banter was pretty good.

I almost feel like when they do a good job on characters in the original game, that they're always stuck with this uphill battle with characters going forward. That's why I feel bad for the poor bastards that are working on the next Mass Effect. That's some BIG shoes to fill.

posnco

The method of controlling fire...
Aug 22, 2004
I personally loved most of the characters, and for the characters I didn't exactly like I appreciate for their role in the team (as in, it makes total sense that I'm not going to like certain characters or agree with their view points or that my character would like/agree with them).

As for the story, it was overall just decent but as its individual parts were really fun.

I'll don't agree that the "Big Beautiful would came at a heavy cost" because that pretends that no good story can come from such a thing, but I'll agree that the focus for this game was more about exploring than any major quest. The game was definitely written as more so being about the experience along the way rather than the over-arcing plot, and given that mindset is what I came into the game with, I was left very satisfied.

As for combat, one major flaw companies have when they "give you combat choices" is that it's almost impossible to encourage a player to then take the more tactical route. I didn't play more than 4 hours of Origins (and none of 2) so I can only use ME as an example, but in the first 2 games unless you played on Easy (aka fuck ME1's combat system I'm playing that on Easy so I don't bore myself into drivel) you needed to use your teammates powers and (especially in 2) positioning to get past certain missions. When 3 came around, BW said that they wanted to give you more of a decision to run and gun if you needed to, and that they were going to make the teammates overall smarter (aka more rarely standing out to be a bullet sponge or keeping a sniper rifle out when enemies melee them). This lead to really no need towards pulling up the powers menu, even on console when you have only 3 powers to map (though Kinect allows you to call out any of them). I don't particularly find it to be a bad thing, but the only incentive to use the menu is stubborness of my own, and besides fighting dragons (or to locate teleported enemies without being attacked) the same could be said of Inquisition. Maybe if I played a Mage I'd understand better, but not as currently constructed.

ChrisDaViking

Just Some Guy
Jul 6, 2008
Depths of Obscurity
Posnco, I always appreciate your insight my man.

I think BioWare always does a pretty good job with their characters. I mean your always gonna have characters like Kaiden, Jacob, Diana Allers, Anders (DA2, not Awakening), ect. that many people didn't care for as much, but when you make 80 characters, not everyone is gonna land.

Maybe I look at it differently than other people and maybe I give BioWare too much leeway, but I've stated this before that I feel like they tried to create a combat experience that works for both types of players. The player that wants to be strategic and thought out can spend the whole game in the Tactical camera if they so choose or players who just want the fast paced action can play and fight in real time and never use it. Or someone like me can do a hybrid of both. I personally like the ability to choose. Seems like many people are just upset. [face_thinking]

I kinda feel bad for BioWare and game companies in general. You CAN'T please all of the people all of the time, but they usually try what they can. Sometimes it works better than others for sure. Yet nobody is ever satisfied. I can't remember the last game that came out that was universally loved? Skyrim maybe? But not everybody likes that game either. See, it's impossible. Everybody likes and wants different things. I mean sure, non of us wanted the ME3 ending or DA2, but still... We're all human, mistakes happen. [face_tongue]

I still look forward to the next Dragon Age and the next Mass Effect. Maybe I'm just easy to please. Or maybe I'm just not impossible to. ~o)

powersp

No Longer a Noob
Jul 30, 2003
HELL
Corypheus's plan was actually quite genius, but the whole travel into the future and see his plan unfold and be able to go back and stop him angle made him look like a complete fool. Now if we hadn't seen the future and had Corypheus's playbook, I think the story would've been much better. Also, if they had given Corypheus insight into the fact that the Inquisition was alive and well and somehow had gotten word on the master plan so he could change it on the fly, that would've helped as well. The final battle was indeed lackluster. This game was more about the open world they tried to create and less about the narrative.

The Orlesian Wardens were indeed quite gullible, I agree and while I understand how it could happen, the fact that I had to rationalize through it like I did means it wasn't conveyed very well. I thought the whole "Flemeth" angle in the Well of Sorrows was pretty good, but it happened too late in the story IMO to make it useful. I actually liked the revealation about Flemeth in this game, even if it did feel a bit forced. DLC isn't going to fix the story this time. It's very apparent that they spent far more time on creating the more open world environments this time around.

The story isn't great, but the game is far more fun to play this time around. I liked the combat, but they made the classic rookie open world mistake of making all the side quests feel the same.

I don't think Corypheus's plan was genius. Why would he assassinate Celine? That's REALLY dumb. Orlais is in chaos. Civil war, divided leadership all trying to back stab each other. Both literally and figuratively lol. Assassinating her puts Gaspard on the throne which would be bad for Cory. A combat savvy, strong leader? When you're planning to invade? I prefer option A if I'm a conqueror. Chaos and dissent among the invading population. It's PERFECT as it is for conquering. Why mess with that with a fatuous assassination attempt?

There is one simple fact that makes the whole Orlesian Warden line completely unfeasible. It's this: They aren't the only Wardens in Thedas(not even close), but they act like that's exactly what they believe, but there's no way they could possibly believe that. Every country in Thedas has their own Warden contingent. Everybody knows that, and ANY GW would certainly know that. Yet they actually say in the game if they die there will be nobody left to stop the next blight. That's factually incorrect, and ANY Warden anywhere would know that 100% for sure. The last blight took a grand total of 3 GW to defeat it. That's it. So their entire line of thinking that makes them "desperate" enough to go ahead with this idiocy is completely fallacious. There's just no getting around that fact here. The fact that the GW are my fav faction in Thedas just makes me hate it that much more cause it makes my fav faction look bad. Like a bunch of idiots.

I agree with your "classic rookie mistake" sentiment, but they also gave me the shortest mq line I've personally ever played in a RPG. 9 quests. That's it. Considering one of those precious few 9 was talk to Varric @ Skyhold and talk to Josie @ Skyhold, and another was simply fast travel to a clearing to talk to Flemmeth, that's REALLY bad for a game this massive from a dev that used to pride itself on great stories in their mq lines.

Last edited:

CHawk15

Prime Member
Jul 20, 2011
What I don't know in terms of Celine is if what's her name would've been positioned to take the throne and have a Red Templar Army at her back if she had been successful. I agree that the man quest was extremely weak, especially by BW standards.

mazariamonti

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 13, 2011
Well i came back and finally finished my first playthrough last night, that's saying something since i had the game installed on origin before it was even released.

I thought it was fun, i thought the story was pretty good, nothing to write home about but it got the job done.

But i'll say this, i dont think ive ever played a game where i loved and hated almost every single aspect of the game. Until now.

Every. Single. Thing.

There was not a single thing in this game where i could just say "That was perfect", the game consisted of about a thousand incredibly minor annoyances, which ends with me being annoyed to some degree practically all the time.

Boss fights were cool, but the combat becomes so tedious, in a dragon fight if you want to keep all of your team alive throughout the fight you have to pause about every two seconds to readjust where someone is standing, this might not be a big deal in a normal fight, but when it takes about ten to fifteen minutes of nonstop wailing on the dragon to kill it this can become a little too annoying.

The music was great - but sometimes it glitches in and out, or sometimes there would be scenes where it really feels like there should be music and there isn't.

Very few of the companions did i love, most of them were average at best. It was like playing with ten Oghrens, characters which are really great in small, controlled doses, but lack the consistent greatness of an Alistair or a Garus or something. I really liked Dorian, Cassandra, and Varrick, and kept them with me often.........but the rest i didnt really care if they were there or not there.

Of course the characters which i did really enjoy, Morrigan, Leliana, Cullen (surprisingly), were not companions, Cullen has a good excuse not to be, Leliana has an acceptable excuse, and Morrigan has no excuse beyond being picked up halfway through the game when the same quest could have occurred at any point post rift closing.

The map design from a cosmetic view was fantastic, but sometimes it would be really annoying trying to figure out the proper direction to go in, occasionally having markers and quests not be anywhere near where the map says they will be.

I really wanted to play as a female qunari and i probably will at some point, but im going to constantly be annoyed by the lack of hair options, "Do you want a shaved head or your hair pulled so tight against your scap that it looks like you have a shaved head" - is how i feel about pulling through those options, especially annoying when the fucking Qunari card where you select your race in the beginning has long hair. A minor annoyance, but it's an annoyance which becomes really obvious in every single cutscene from beginning to end.

Just a whole lot of minor annoyances.

I really enjoyed playing the game, and i think im going to start over for a more complete playthrough in just a little bit, but all of these minor annoyances really hold the game back from being something great.

Last edited: