D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
Which do you prefer and why.

I like the Japanese version better. When I first started watching I thought the voices and music were silly but once I got used to it I started really enjoying it, and the music becomes really catchy all of a sudden. It also has a lot more emotion to it.

I still like the English dub however because it still makes me nostalgic.

-Jalen

Titles are overrated.
Feb 20, 2009
English.

The voices all fit perfect. Funi did a great job with that, as well as YuYu Hakusho.

Dragonball was perfect with the original OST and idk, i've never watched DBZ and thought of it as Dragonball episodes 154-430, so the music fits in DBZ as well.

Cmon dawg, dat music, dem voices

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
English.

The voices all fit perfect. Funi did a great job with that, as well as YuYu Hakusho.

Dragonball was perfect with the original OST and idk, i've never watched DBZ and thought of it as Dragonball episodes 154-430, so the music fits in DBZ as well.

I kinda like most of the voices in the Japanese version better. To me the English Frieza just sounded like a chain smoking granny, but if you watch enough of the Japanese episodes he just seems like a bloodthirsty frightening monster.

And I know Goku's voice needs some getting used to, but after a while I didn't mind it anymore.

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
The voices on that video are raised. This one instead:

[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/gman24.4511819/']@GMan24[/URL]

Comparison between DBZ and DB Kai

EDIT: God, the dialogue in Kai sucks compared to DBZ's. Super Vegeta wasn't introduced until Cell.
Yeah the dialogue for the original was better in that scene, however I think Chris Sabat did a better job with the voice in Kai.

Anyway, Vegeta is a badass no matter what version you watch.

-Jalen

Titles are overrated.
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah the dialogue for the original was better in that scene, however I think Chris Sabat did a better job with the voice in Kai.

Well I was comparing the music too, Kai is the Original DBZ soundtrack

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster

Well not entirely, the music in Kai is only some of the music in the original.

And I know the Japanese music sounds silly at first but as you get used to it it becomes catchy as hell.

-Jalen

Titles are overrated.
Feb 20, 2009

And I know the Japanese music sounds silly at first but as you get used to it it becomes catchy as hell.
I liked it in DB which is like a japanese folk tale, but in DBZ, which is sci-fi until like the Buu saga, it doesn't fit as well, IMO.

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster

I liked it in DB which is like a japanese folk tale, but in DBZ, which is sci-fi until like the Buu saga, it doesn't fit as well, IMO.
Well have you attempted to watch the series in Japanese? I hated the voices and music at first but then I got used to them and I eventually started to enjoy them. You then realize that the Japanese soundtrack fits also, but in a different sort of way.

But if you've seen the series in Japanese and still like the English version better that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at least give it a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Jalen

Titles are overrated.
Feb 20, 2009

Well have you attempted to watch the series in Japanese? I hated the voices and music at first but then I got used to them and I eventually started to enjoy them. You then realize that the Japanese soundtrack fits also, but in a different sort of way.

But if you've seen the series in Japanese and still like the English version better that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at least give it a chance.
I've watched about 10 episodes in Japanese and about half of Kai.

I prefer the original DBZ English broadcast.

jeffknoxs

No Longer a Noob
Nov 2, 2005
I'm not into Japanese voices screaming at me while I read subtitles so I'm going with the Funi english dub.

Also, WTF man DBZ kai is soo bad, now I'm happy I never watched it.

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
I'm not into Japanese voices screaming at me while I read subtitles so I'm going with the Funi english dub.

Also, WTF man DBZ kai is soo bad, now I'm happy I never watched it.
DBZ kai is not bad, trust me overall the dialogue and the voices are better in Kai, that clip was just one of the few exceptions.The reason the dialogue is different is because Kai is more closely related to the manga.

The only voice that needs some getting used to is Gohan's.

jeffknoxs

No Longer a Noob
Nov 2, 2005
The pure nostalgia effect on the Funi dubs makes it the best version to me, as well as the Bruce Falconer music. I love the English Funi dub too much man, you can't convince me. My opinion is my own and not fact thus it cannot be debated upon!

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
Compare these original DBZ kai scenes to the original. There are some exceptions, but in my opinion Kai blows it out of the water.

Original English

Kai

Original English

Kai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZkT8ugTz8Y

I can find more examples but I'm tired right now.

The pure nostalgia effect on the Funi dubs makes it the best version to me, as well as the Bruce Falconer music. I love the English Funi dub too much man, you can't convince me. My opinion is my own and not fact thus it cannot be debated upon!

That's fine man, I'm not going to fault you for having a different opinion than me [face_peace]

TheVert

Discreet in my funk
Jul 20, 2005
English, because spoken words are better than meaningless grunting mixed with reading. I'm watching a TV show, not playing the Sims.

D

Deleted member 4511819

Original poster
English, because spoken words are better than meaningless grunting mixed with reading. I'm watching a TV show, not playing the Sims.

Lol.

Anyway the reason I like the Japanese voice acting slightly better than the English is that the Japanese put much more emotion in the work, I don't need to know the language to know that. Goku's voice is initially annoying but I got used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lthiuz

Noob
Mar 26, 2014
Which do you prefer and why.

I like the Japanese version better. When I first started watching I thought the voices and music were silly but once I got used to it I started really enjoying it, and the music becomes really catchy all of a sudden. It also has a lot more emotion to it.

I still like the English dub however because it still makes me nostalgic.

I like the Japanese Dub, but to be honest, it feels really dated, even for it's time. I like the funi dub not only because I grew up with it but I just feel it better suits the show, especially for American audiences. I guess you could say it's a cultural thing.

Lthiuz

Noob
Mar 26, 2014
Compare these original DBZ kai scenes to the original. There are some exceptions, but in my opinion Kai blows it out of the water.

Original English

Kai

Original English

Kai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZkT8ugTz8Y

I can find more examples but I'm tired right now.

That's fine man, I'm not going to fault you for having a different opinion than me [face_peace]

Yeah, not going to lie man, to me, the funi version of that scene was better. Sure the dialogue in Kai was closer to the manga, but then again, I was never impressed by the manga, dialogue being a big part of it. I'm sure these lines were better in Japanese but translated into English, they kind of come off as weird.

aussj5link

Noob
Jan 13, 2013
This is the only anime which I have ever liked the English dub better than the subs. I don't know why but all the voices seemed to fit perfectly and the deeper tones definitely helps make the characters feel stronger somehow. When I tried to watch the sub, I freaked out at the way they sounded, especially Vegeta for whom I had come expect a much stronger voice than the high pitched, near little girl voice the subs had.

Ignae

Noob
Aug 23, 2014
English dub was completely rewritten and voice actors sound like RAW with heavy metal music. the original music is a masterpiece, english version is truly garbage, The best dub is the Latin american version, its faithful to the dialogue and music, and the voice selection is great, if you speak a bit of Spanish its the way to go.

jeffknoxs

No Longer a Noob
Nov 2, 2005
English dub was completely rewritten and voice actors sound like RAW with heavy metal music. the original music is a masterpiece, english version is truly garbage, The best dub is the Latin american version, its faithful to the dialogue and music, and the voice selection is great, if you speak a bit of Spanish its the way to go.

That's just like you're opinion man. You can't say something was truly garbage, when so many people love it. I LOVE the original funi English dub and I know the majority of american DBZ fans do as well. You're opinion is not a fact, it's an opinion. Like me for example, I hate the Japanese version. I hate reading subtitles when I watch something, and I hate the voices but I appreciate and respect everyone else's opinion about it and I acknowledge that some really love it so I don't claim it to be truly garbage just because my opinion of it is not a positive one. I'm sure some really enjoy the Spanish sub, I'll never give it a chance because I don't speak Spanish, I hate reading subtitles and I enjoy the dub in my language. Does that mean the dub is truly garbage? No, it just means it's not for me. See what I'm saying? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's garbage, it means you don't like it, respect opinions, don't state them as facts and act like nobody else's matter. Because I disagree with your opinion 100% I respect it though, that is the difference.

Last edited:

Newvamp

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 17, 2013
I much prefer the English dub, especially with the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. Tis what I grew up with

Apr 22, 2015
English.
Yeah, well said. The voices all fit perfect also in YuYu. These are my favorite anime series. English dub is way better coz I can understand what's the story all about more clearly.

c_smithii

No Longer a Noob
Nov 9, 2001
English. Preferably the original Ocean English dub of Dragon Ball Z that came its way in the 90s after Fox Kids on Saturday and eventually Cartoon Network.

A long time ago I converted a bunch of VHS Dragon Ball Z home release tapes to DVD and forgot all about it, then recently I started watching Dragon Ball and DBZ again and I was surprised that Ocean dub has been pretty much yanked from the internet. Then I rediscovered the converted mpeg videos I did awhile back and they are for the first 52 episodes, Ocean Dub. :)

Ocean dub was the most polished dubbing of Dragon Ball, and it makes sense when you look at a lot work it took to get a japanese anime traction over here in the West.
Ocean put so much work on the voices, the music, ost, the layers that when you watch the first 52 episodes of DBZ you can feel the imersiveness of the anime. This is lost when Funimation started dubing the rest of the series. I remember being jarred by this when it came about way back then when the new Namek episodes came out on Cartoon Network. 17 years later, it's definitely apparent the high quality of Ocean dub compared to the dubs that followed.

Last edited: