tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
It may seem redundant because ted's "Too early?" thread will probably still be frontpage through 2020, but I might as well have my very own, official, "If you play Champs league let me know you're still alive" thread.

I won't entertain the delusion that there'll actually be new signups this year given that this board hasn't actually seen any new regular participants in years, but on the off chance you're reading this and want to play fantasy hockey this year, reply here and I'll try to fill you in.

From ted's thread, we already have vocal assent from ted1085, BigRandal_ps3, UncleBen59, and nuckfan. And, we'll assume, me.

Tiering and promotions and such I'll work out more concretely once actual participation is established. Another learned lesson - wasting effort on slotting before you have enough info on knowing how things will be distributed is wasted effort. The usual tenets will apply: if there are multiple tiers, the people who finished near the bottom of the top tier are pencilled in to be demoted. Top players from tier 2 will be promoted, and mid-to-top players from the top tier will stay there.

Do one of the usual 4, in replies here in this thread, unless you were already listed above:
If you were in last year and wish to be in again this year, say so.
If you were in last year and DO NOT wish to be in again this year, say so (so I'll know to not wait longer for a response from you).
If you were not in last year and wish to be in this year, say so and, after I verify I'm not hallucinating, I'll give you more details.
If you were not in last year and DO NOT wish to be in this year, just don't reply.

Last edited:

Yugo23

Star
Apr 15, 2003
I will not be competing. It's been fun everyone.

yugooooo, my tier 4 brother. we rose the ranks and dominated every tier like none other. I'm gonna miss the rivalry and the competition man. reconsider!

Yes, we did brother! The rivalry was great but last year, the passion for fantasy hockey took a big hit. Even though I had a great season, I had a hard time staying interested. I barely watched any games for the first time since the mid 90s.

I'm sure we have some Tier 2 teams from last year that will be much more eager to compete than I will.

The memories will never die!

Last edited:

starglider_alt

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 14, 2008
I had already planned to drop out but wanted to officially throw in the towel. Last year I was basically not engaged at all so it wouldn't be fair to do another year. I need to drop down to 1 league max and I've already committed to another one.

It's been awesome. Much kudos to tmg for organizing all these years.

I'm not on IGN much these days but if anyone who wants to keep in touch, let's be Facebook friends. ^.^

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Refreshed version:

Yea:
Baby_King_Bob
vornoff
twisted_time48
BlackMolly
HuskerTornado
LivingLegend_
chris_30
dquigley
steelersfan70
Movie2Director

phantompenguin.
ted1085
BigRandal_ps3
UncleBen59
nuckfan
denkaas
ewuoy1545
tmg.exe
AnTi_HeRo69

We'll keep an eye on:
@Serie_A91 (looks like he signed up for IGN on Tuesday, posted 13 times across various boards in 18 minutes - including saying "IN" in ted's thread, and hasn't even signed in since... don't think we'll stake a slot on reliability yet).

Silence so far:
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/deity_of_death.43376/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/deity_of_death.43376/']@deity_of_death[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/rangediddy.897724/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/rangediddy.897724/']@Rangediddy[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/drkay.4122062/']@drkay[/URL]
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/cutchemist42.336112/']@cutchemist42[/URL]

Withdrawn:
Yugo23
starglider_alt

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
We've had the debate in the past about whether people would rather let the tiers shrink and keep it all hockey board members (past or present) or if we'd rather recruit non hockey board strangers to keep the tiers from shrinking. The vote always came back to keep it to hockey board users but it may be worth discussing again as things get even thinner (losing at least two more regs this year).

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
keep it in here. if its a matter of a few users.. i will volunteer to drop out. my only two leagues this year will be this one and the keeper league and with a baby i doubt that my free time will not allow any more than 2 leagues

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
keep it in here. if its a matter of a few users.. i will volunteer to drop out. my only two leagues this year will be this one and the keeper league and with a baby i doubt that my free time will not allow any more than 2 leagues

If I'm seeking volunteers for anything, it won't be dropouts, it'll be both-tier players (like LL was last year). I think I'm circling on running 2 tiers of 12. If the 4 silent speak up we'll be at 23, so one new, returning, or dual tier manager would put us to 2x12.

Drops at this point just make things harder. We're not going to one tier, so we need adds, not drops!

Hey, I commissioned this thing through newlyweddom and fatherhood, you ain't getting away that easy! (Babies sleep lots, you get time to kill)

Last edited:

ted1085

No Longer a Noob
Jun 27, 2005

If I'm seeking volunteers for anything, it won't be dropouts, it'll be both-tier players (like LL was last year). I think I'm circling on running 2 tiers of 12. If the 4 silent speak up we'll be at 23, so one new, returning, or dual tier manager would put us to 2x12.

Drops at this point just make things harder. We're not going to one tier, so we need adds, not drops!

Hey, I commissioned this thing through newlyweddom and fatherhood, you ain't getting away that easy! (Babies sleep lots, you get time to kill)

Don't lie to the man!

ted1085

No Longer a Noob
Jun 27, 2005
Were invites sent out yet? I feel like for some reason the invite for this league always goes to my old verizon email and they've finally completely abolished that email address so if they were sent I didn't get it.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Were invites sent out yet? I feel like for some reason the invite for this league always goes to my old verizon email and they've finally completely abolished that email address so if they were sent I didn't get it.

No, nothing has been done on yahoo yet.

If you, or anyone, wants me to contact you when there's anything you need to be contacted about, conversate me your email address or twitter handle or whatnot. It's probably a long overdue idea that we have means of contact outside ign because fewer and fewer people make it a point to visit here often.

Rangediddy

No Longer a Noob
Oct 16, 2003
Count me out this year lads. Been a blast playing all these years. Good luck to all.

Thanks tmg for doing an awesome job running the show!

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
So we're at 20. Should we go with this and 2 pods of 10, or run T1 as a 12 and T2 with everyone else plus ghost-teamers and stragglers to also get to 12?

[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/dquigley.76/']@dquigley[/URL], whatever we do we're also gonna need to nail down promotions and demotions. Finish order in T2 was PP, nuckfan, drkay, ewuoy, me. I just pinged drkay on FB today, we'll see if that summons her here. Also sent email to cutchemist's listed manager email, but I suspect that's an unmonitored yahoo mailbox (aren't they all?).

Baby_King_Bob
vornoff
twisted_time48
BlackMolly
HuskerTornado
LivingLegend_
chris_30
dquigley
steelersfan70
Movie2Director
phantompenguin.
ted1085
BigRandal_ps3
UncleBen59
nuckfan
denkaas
ewuoy1545
tmg.exe
AnTi_HeRo69
deity_of_death

dquigley

titleless
Sep 20, 2003
Championship bracket results

deity_of_death
chris_30
Baby_King_Bob
Yugo23 (not returning)
BlackMolly
LivingLegend_

Regular standings 7-14
7. vornoff
Movie2Director
twisted_time
HuskerTornado
dquigley
RangeDiddy (not returning)
steelersfan70
14. starglider (not returning)

or alternatively: Consolation bracket
7. HuskerTornado
Movie2Director
vornoff
RangeDiddy
twisted_time
dquigley

I'd go off the regular season standings and make the demotion order steelersfan70, dquigley, HuskerTornado, twisted_time, Movie2Director, vornoff. Just work down the line based on number of promotions to make.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Yeh, we probably should lock in. Didn't really get the feedback on "10/10 or 12/8+ghosts" I was looking for.

Let's go with:

T1.
deity_of_death
chris_30
Baby_King_Bob
BlackMolly
LivingLegend_
vornoff
Movie2Director
phantompenguin.
nuckfan
twisted_time48

Which makes
T2.
HuskerTornado
dquigley
steelersfan70
ted1085
BigRandal_ps3
UncleBen59
denkaas
ewuoy1545
tmg.exe
AnTi_HeRo69

So, who in T1 is volunteering to be commissioner?

Last edited:

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
ahhh shit, sorry man

fwiw, I strongly oppose the ten team format. I can do a second team in T2 if a decision is made to go that way

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
If we go to 12+others, I would keep one more team from T1 (Husker) and promote one more team from T2 (ewouy).

People, speak.

ewuoy1545

Star
Mar 25, 2005
I like the 12 + 8. makes t1 more competitive and a desirable spot to move up too

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Ok, good enough for me. Pretty sure Husker's vote would be in favor of 12 as well.

NEW PLAN!

T1.
deity_of_death
chris_30
Baby_King_Bob
BlackMolly
LivingLegend_
vornoff
Movie2Director
phantompenguin.
nuckfan
twisted_time48
HuskerTornado
ewuoy1545

Which makes
T2.
dquigley
steelersfan70
ted1085
BigRandal_ps3
UncleBen59
denkaas
tmg.exe
AnTi_HeRo69
ghost1
ghost2
ghost3
ghost4

Any T1'ers who wish to stake a claim to also manage one of the T2 ghost teams, speak.
Any T1'ers who wish to stake a claim to commission T1, speak.
Any T2'ers who wish to stake a claim to commission T2, speak. (This could be a ghost manager! Or, it could be me.)
Any straggling newbies or returnees who wish to play this year in lieu of one of the ghosts, speak.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
i vote tmg.exe to be commissioner. as i would do it.. but i will put 0 effort into actually doing anything except making the league and then making the post (which no one will post in after week 1).

also why not just run 8 teams and add in extra roster slots so the FA pool isn't too stacked. having 4 ghost managers from T1 just seems pointless

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Goalie starts get pretty wonky on a shallower league. In past years people have shown preference to having the extra teams filled out than playing with much fewer clubs.