Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1124296p1.html]Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Review[/link]
by Daemon Hatfield

Summary:
Konami describes Castlevania: Lords of Shadow as a reboot for the 25-year old franchise. I'd say it's an unrelated game that borrows the "Castlevania" name. [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1124296p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Gold_ultima

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 21, 2003
Read the text. It's still a positive review, just nothing amazing or original. If you like the kind of game it is, then you will probably enjoy it.

jasonbean7

Noob
Mar 18, 2010
so, wait-a-minute......if you take Castlevania out of the equation it's actually a good game? How does that get a measly 7.5? Am I the eonly one who doesn't give a flaming f**k how accurate it is to the Castlevania cannon (which has been ripping ITSELF off for the last twenty years)?

Jun 29, 2001
I still actually might like this. Thanks for the honest review and not scoring it higher because it is a Castlevania game. lol

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
This guy had reviewed with total bias in favor of the original formula... who wants to play 2D games anymore? I think this game will be good inspite of this review.

Eve_II

Noob
Dec 15, 2008
seems kinda presumptuous to say "if you're a Castlevania fan, don't bother". Well I'm a fan and I'm still picking this up

xavier_nj

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 12, 2007
Everybody else is giving the game stellar reviews except IGN. That's what i'll go by. To each is own. They gave Halo Reach a 10 I think and I hated the game.

repli99

Noob
Sep 19, 2009
Why do all the big reviewers give this 7-8 and all the small ones 8-9? I hate big reviewers... my own opinions for the win! :D

Lord_Turdsley

No Longer a Noob
Nov 11, 2009
G4 gave this a pretty good review and I was shocked mainly because nothing about this looks like Castlevania. They even said in their review that it doesn't seem like Castlevania, yet it gets a good review? IGN reviews seems more along like what I was thinking, it seems fun but not like Castlevania game.

blueman814

Noob
Mar 2, 2007
I feel like this game has no hype whatsoever around it. I've been semi-looking forward to this game but i didn't know it came out in a week!

Oct 29, 2009
DAMN! a 7.5? wtf i was expecting and hoping for a 9. I was waiting all year for this game. It seems like he didnt like it cuz it was different than the other castlevanias. My standards for video games have gotten really high so i dont want to play a game that itsnt top notch. I cant tell if its a good review or not because he keeps griping that it isnt like other Castlevanias..hmm.

jasonbean7

Noob
Mar 18, 2010
Seriously IGN: we need a SECOND opinion, preferably someone who's NOT a Castlevania fan-boy. It seems to me he would've rated the game higher if they just changed the title. WHO REVIEWS GAMES BASED ON THEIR TITLES?!

-HELi0S-

Noob
Aug 22, 2010
Konami didn't shower IGN and Gamespot with ad money, so that is why you have scores in the 7 range. Also, IGN gave this game the same score that Dante's Inferno got.. that is HILARIOUS.

Jul 12, 2008
ehhh, i'll get it anyway. lol

LIke a guy said before...G4 gave it a much better score..this score isn't bad, it's still a good score..and i'm sure i'll have fun with it.

timj2011

Noob
Jun 29, 2009
WOW, take out castlevania and this gets a 9
it is ridiculously gorgeous, 15-20 hours for a slashin action game, thats incredible, and the MGS esk cut scenes and well paced story.
this 7.5 you speak of is injustice, daemon how the hell do you give hydrophobia an 8, and this a 7.5?
P.S i hate castlevania, so not a fanboy, but i know quality when i see it.

cherinator

Noob
Sep 26, 2007
Wait, when did 15-20 hrs become an "incredibly long" game? Last time I checked something like fallout or zelda is "incredibly long", not <20 hrs.

derek_zim

Noob
Jul 31, 2010
The game looks hella good. may stride from the original but thats cause its 3D. Good review but it deserved a higher score its a reboot not a remake

Apr 1, 2010
IMO, this doesn't look to be as enjoyable as Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, 2 games I loved. (which is an opinion few seemingly share.)

darkmanXXL

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 5, 2003
Why are people getting all butt hurt because they don't agree with scores? It got a 7.5 which is good, but you got these clown getting mad since it didn't get a 9 or above, really?! I wasn't expecting too much from the game it just looked too much like God of War.. I don't mind improving the combat but don't take away what makes Castlevania, Castlevania..

Sep 2, 2005
Wow...you rate Hydrophobia higher than this game? I just played the demo off the Euro psn and had a blast with it...going to pick this up next week for sure.

Xcite79

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 14, 2004
You people are ridiculous. This is not a reboot. There will be more 2D Castlevania titles. This isn't even the only 3D Castlevania title in existence.

suda94

Noob
Feb 3, 2010
wow i love how he calls this repetitive and pretty much says 2d castlevania is better when its just as repetitive. Its just hitting and leveling up.

Jun 3, 2009
I'm more interested in how the tone has shifted from the "first eight hour" preview from just over a month ago to now. It seems to have gone from pretty high praise to pretty mediocre. Apparently David and Daemon were expecting/wanting very different things from this game. I'm a huge Castlevania fan myself and I can't wait for my copy to get here on Tuesday.

Feb 26, 2010

There is definitely fun to be had with Lords of Shadow and it's drop dead gorgeous at times, but Castlevania fans might be left in the dark.

Well I'm no castlevania fan so i'm excited but i want enslaved first

texasgoldrush

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2008
Castlevania 64 wasn't good, but the updated and fixed version, Legacy of Darkness is (the one with the werewolf).

beamer_86

Noob
Oct 8, 2009
@ Daemon

The most important thing when doing a review is to leave your stupid bias out of it. Ok so it's a complete departure from what you're used to, get over it fanboy

suda94

Noob
Feb 3, 2010
@beamer_86
You sir are pretty much right. this sounds like a review of a castlevania fanboy who was butthurt that its in 3d.

darthwarmonger4444

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 12, 2008
Was this review on a 360. I've read a couple reviews that used the PS3 version and they didn't list the framrate problems. One reviewer at gamespot played both versions and said that the 360 had more framerate issues. Basically, since I have a 360 and a PS3, I want to know which system does IGN suggest I buy this game for. Is their a better version in your opinion?

Jun 1, 2007
:( Why didn't they borrow elements of Zelda with rpg elements of it very own series (Symphony of the Night, Portrait of Ruin, and all the other Metroid-vania games)?

I remember the first 3D Castlevania game on the PS2 was mediocre, but the story was pretty good.

So much wasted potential, I'm getting the game because I'm a big Castlevania fan, but it's going to have to come out of the bargain bin.

BadAssBurtReynolds

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 5, 2004
7.5 is in "ouch" territory. That's like saying it gave the same feeling as the PS2 versions, which isn't what this franchise needed again.
I'm going to re-read this review.

Sgtdookie

Noob
Oct 14, 2003
Im not usually one to jump on a reviewer and point a finger saying its biased but this review did seem a bit like it was being knocked due to the fact it wasnt a 2-D traditional Castlevania.Seems like the Castlevania name is whats hurting the score.