SageLeaf

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 15, 2023
What Board and Card games are you playing recently?

My son and I have really been enjoying House of Danger it’s like a choose your own adventure book with cards for the story, and cards for clues to solve the mysteries. You also get an inventory of item cards (like a water bottle and a knife to start). Very fun to play 2 player coop and you can read the story in funny or dramatic voices.

We have also been playing No Thanks which is a very simple card bidding game to teach people who visit. And also Rolling America because I wanted to learn the mapping genre of board games. It’s kind of fun, you get a map and roll dice and have to mark where you want the dice on your map of the USA. I’d like to get a more complex mapping game next though.

What board/card games have been on your tables lately?

SageLeaf

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 15, 2023
Quiddler has been in our rotation still as well! Thanks for the recommendation on that. I’d like to learn cribbage

mrpier

Prime Member
Nov 11, 2011
We did play some this holiday season.

Bezzerwizzer - fast to learn and setup quiz-game, worked great with a little older kids/teens and adults playing together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezzerwizzer
Ticket to Ride - A classic, we played the Europe version, a bit more setup and rules to learn, and you don't want to bump the table.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I haven't played any board or card games lately, but I did get some new ones for Christmas. Some favorites are:

1. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
2. Pandemic. We haven't played the campaign-based Pandemic Legacy yet, but heard it's great.
3. Marvel Champions
4. Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
5. One Deck Dungeon (pretty good and small)

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
My son and I have really been enjoying House of Danger it’s like a choose your own adventure book with cards for the story, and cards for clues to solve the mysteries. You also get an inventory of item cards (like a water bottle and a knife to start). Very fun to play 2 player coop and you can read the story in funny or dramatic voices.
FB_IMG_1706068506394.jpg

amtran

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 3, 2019
My cousins and I absolutely love Ticket to Ride; we legit play a game or two every week (and are disappointed the old Ticket to Ride Steam game is being killed for a newer, more expensive game, boo!). Ticket to Ride is my family's game of choice, by far.

Love Letter is one of my favourite card games, just the easiest thing in the world to play. The basic loop is you always have a card in your hand with a numerical value on it, in your turn you pick up a card and discard one of the two cards you know have. Each card has an action associated with it and you play that action when you discard it; the object is to eliminate other players or, when there's no more cards in the draw pile, to be have the most valuable card in your hand.

And I'm a real crib fan as well, my parents and I will play crib when I'm home sometimes (though I never played growing up). My favourite phone app to play it is Cribbage with Grandpa; you make your own grandpa and play crib with him. I have two grandpas: Jacob Easier (second hardest AI, doesn't do muggins) and Jacob Impossibler (hardest AI, will muggins). Both their last names are a pun on a common Mennonite surname, Harder. Hardee har har

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I tried a digital version of Ticket to Ride and was very confused. I should probably try it again some time, preferably with people who know how it works.

amtran

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 3, 2019
You definitely should before they shut down the servers on that digital version; it's actually a pretty easy game to learn which is a reason why it's a favourite in my family. My cousin bought it when we were in university and we played it with our younger cousins at the time and we've introduced it to even younger cousins. There's also a few of us cousins (I'm one of them) who often needs a reminder about how to play games (once I get a refresher the rules come flooding back but there's just certain games where I can never keep the rules straight in my head until that refresher). Ticket is the only game where we never need a refresher (except for map specific stuff, certain maps often have gimmicks).

also, how could I forget about Carcassonne, that's one of my favourite games to play in person. Who doesn't like building a long, weird, patchwork map?

amtran

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 3, 2019
Cribbage is a lot of fun as a three person game.
I really prefer two player to three player; I just prefer the choice of having two cards to throw away instead of the one. In a three player situation I'd rather watch a game and take on the winner than have a three player game (though, if someone suggests three players, I won't be the one to say no).

OneBigClam

Jes' fine
Jun 4, 2012
NH
I really prefer two player to three player; I just prefer the choice of having two cards to throw away instead of the one. In a three player situation I'd rather watch a game and take on the winner than have a three player game (though, if someone suggests three players, I won't be the one to say no).
Well, at the moment our board game club only has three members, lol.

mrpier

Prime Member
Nov 11, 2011
We got gifted a mahjong game when we were kids, never could make head or tails of it, pretty though.

BOP_G_A_Pster

Downwinder
Sep 30, 2010
Oregon, not Portland

OneBigClam

Jes' fine
Jun 4, 2012
NH
Just skimming over the rules, that looks fun.
It's this whole localized cultural phenomenon. Apparently parents teach their kids at a young age. It is said that if you dodn't learn it young, you'll never be good at it. Guess I'll find out. :)

amtran

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah, you'd need a group, someone to be the dungeon/game master, and some sort of campaign or session that's planned out in advance